Tempo Restaurant: What Happened There?

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I am so sorry that happened to you, but TY for your first hand knowledge.
So, some drugs are very fast acting and don't last long.
Sounds so risky to give someone a drug that acts so fast in a public place
I guess timing is important

Thanks, it was just awful. And so unexpected, being a middle aged mom who was there for a work conference. And here I thought the roofies were reserved for the young kids! But seriously, it was terrible and I suspect the motive was a quick robbery. My friend and I both vomited within a few minutes of feeling the first effects, and have almost no memory of the 20 minutes or so that we were at our worst.

For example, she has no memory of me dragging her down the street, getting into the cab, or paying the cab driver, but she remembers walking into the lobby of our hotel and everything after that. I go dark mid-cab ride, also no memory of paying for the taxi, no memory of getting through the lobby or up to our room, absolutely nothing until my face hit the floor of our hotel room, where I passed out for 10 minutes. Then I just popped up, groggy but generally ok, undressed and washed my face, of all things, and crawled into bed thinking that we had somehow had too much to drink. But the next morning, sick as dogs, we compared notes and realized what had really happened. Luckily we weren't assaulted or robbed (I lost my phone but pretty sure it was not stolen, that I dropped it in the taxi or on the street) and a good samaritan helped us into a cab just in time. Had we both been incoherent at the same time, out on the side of the road in Vegas, who knows what would have happened to us.

BTW, we were on Fremont Street, never set our cups down but they were open topped plastic cups from one of the street bars down there. We were having a blast, listening to a great cover band, just dancing with the crowd. Would have been easy for someone nearby (or even a bartender) to drop something into the cup when we weren't looking. Lots of leaning in to hear people when they said something, leaving our drinks exposed, people constantly bumping into us. I've also been told by locals that bartenders there will sometimes take bribes to drug people for purposes of robbery.

It's possible that the effects of the drugs were supposed to act longer, however we didn't finish our full drinks. But as sick as I was, I can't imagine ingesting any more than I did. But maybe we would have been down for hours, had we finished our drinks.

Blech.

Thanks for sharing your experience, Snowball58...sorry you went throught it.

After HG left the last party before the McGrady's Pub video, there is some unexplained time. After hearing your story and the roofie effects, I go back to a theory I have that HG may have had this done to her at the party she went to with the classmate she met out on the street. She could have bounced back from that, and headed to the Downtown Mall for whatever reason.

Totally possible, and would explain being disoriented even if she had come out of it. Who knows what we looked like, stumbling though our hotel. Perhaps surveillance videos would show us also walking with long strides, hunched over, moving fast.

I know when I was younger a lot of bars wouldn't even let in younger people with out of state ID's because it was so hard to spot a fake. But then I had friends that even made their own fake ID's that were so bad the laminate was peeling (lol)- but the ID's worked because they knew the RIGHT places to use them.

FYI

A bar or bartender in Va doesnt have to accept an ID with a side profile pic either. When they turn 21 people are supposed to get the face forward photo if they want to drink.

I think he drugged her.

He has his special giant shorts with pockets for anything he needs.

I'm of the mind he drugged her as well. My sister has had her drink drugged and so has a male friend. The effects can indeed be quick and dramatic. The fact that she reportedly went from relatively good to being unable to walk without assistance in a pretty short time frame after meeting JM is a huge red flag, IMO. Alcohol alone, unless she slammed several drinks (which I have heard nothing indicating such), should not cause that type of marked consciousness change. Especially if she had been drinking previously that evening, and walking that distance....that'd sober her up quite a bit, IMO. Drugging drinks happens a lot more than people realize. I don't put it past a predator like JM at all. His MO seems to be incapacitated women, drugging fits right in with that.

All JMO.

Snowball58
That was a truly frightening, and eye opening experience.
Thank you so much for sharing it.
I know I'll be more aware from now on.

I'm of the mind he drugged her as well. My sister has had her drink drugged and so has a male friend. The effects can indeed be quick and dramatic. The fact that she reportedly went from relatively good to being unable to walk without assistance in a pretty short time frame after meeting JM is a huge red flag, IMO. Alcohol alone, unless she slammed several drinks (which I have heard nothing indicating such), should not cause that type of marked consciousness change. Especially if she had been drinking previously that evening, and walking that distance....that'd sober her up quite a bit, IMO. Drugging drinks happens a lot more than people realize. I don't put it past a predator like JM at all. His MO seems to be incapacitated women, drugging fits right in with that.

All JMO.

I wonder how accurate the eyewitnesses account actually is as far as HG's condition goes? It seems that now a lot of things being reported out of Tempo are somewhat questionable. Back when WG saw HG in front of Sal's, he supposedly described her as in physical distress. How much that changed--if it did change--from that point to when she was last seen by the Tempo employee is unknown. And honestly, she didn't look so good in that video--she looked better in the Tuel's video, but JM was along side her with his arm around her. As far as I know, there has been no information released as to any other witnesses who saw her after WG's "physically distressed" encounter.

JMO, alcohol is the biggest date rape drug out there, and used more than any other drug. Stay sober in a bar, or club setting, and people watch. It's sad how many are taken advantage of, and no doubt end up being raped.

In Terrilynn's case, many WS members shared their experiences here about being roofied.

I still think 'physically distressed' was she was either having a panic attack, or crying. I was thinking paranoid state earlier in the case, but, if she went with JM into Tempo, or even walking with him, and not causing a huge ruckus about it, then she must not have been paranoid.

I've thought from the beginning that he drugged her, which at the time many posters did not agree with this. jmo

Since it is supposed to a be a high end bar, with high drink prices, I doubt they would need a bouncer per se as that usually keeps the rif-raff out.

Obviously it didnt work in JLMs case. A good bouncer or door person wouldnt have allowed him to return based on his behavior earlier that night....any of it. That doesnt exactly scream high-class to the rest of your customers does it?

His bizarre behavior taken in total (and actually commented on by the door person) makes me doubt the sobriety and maturity level of the door person as well.

I would have watched him closely after he started bumming cigarettes and bumping into people and I would have asked him to leave after the words he had with the British man and his wife....when you start making other guests feel uncomfortable its time to go....and I wouldnt have allowed him entry the second time under any circumstances.

I also wouldnt have put a 23 year old at the door, personally. The chances of them lacking the necessary judgement AND for them allowing their underage friends in are too great IMO.

I mean, its only been a couple of years since the door person turned 21 herself and she might not have thought drinking underage was that big of a deal.

I dont have the statistics in front of me but the majority of people who serve people underage are under 30 themselves. Those of us who are older usually know better by this time and have more to lose.

I imagine people argued with her a lot because of her age, her size and her sex...... and if a fight were to break out involving someone big what could she have really done to stop it anyway?

All-in-all Id say it was a very bad choice.

My guess is that they used a server who stepped into the role after her shift was over waiting tables.

Its not altogether uncommon in smaller mom-and-pop establishments, to see people acting in the capacity as door people and drinking while on the job, either.

It is not a high end bar, it is a high end restaurant that has a bar.

Those sorts of places don't have bouncers, they have a greeter type person at the door to regulate people coming in or out.

If someone was going to get carded at a place like that it most likely would be at the bar itself.

Since it is supposed to a be a high end bar, with high drink prices, I doubt they would need a bouncer per se as that usually keeps the rif-raff out.

Obviously it didnt work in JLMs case. A good bouncer or door person wouldnt have allowed him to return based on his behavior earlier that night....any of it. That doesnt exactly scream high-class to the rest of your customers does it?

His bizarre behavior taken in total (and actually commented on by the door person) makes me doubt the sobriety and maturity level of the door person as well.

I would have watched him closely after he started bumming cigarettes and bumping into people and I would have asked him to leave after the words he had with the British man and his wife....when you start making other guests feel uncomfortable its time to go....and I wouldnt have allowed him entry the second time under any circumstances.

I also wouldnt have put a 23 year old at the door, personally. The chances of them lacking the necessary judgement AND for them allowing their underage friends in are too great IMO.

I mean, its only been a couple of years since the door person turned 21 herself and she might not have thought drinking underage was that big of a deal.

I dont have the statistics in front of me but the majority of people who serve people underage are under 30 themselves. Those of us who are older usually know better by this time and have more to lose.

I imagine people argued with her a lot because of her age, her size and her sex...... and if a fight were to break out involving someone big what could she have really done to stop it anyway?

All-in-all Id say it was a very bad choice.

My guess is that they used a server who stepped into the role after her shift was over waiting tables.

Its not altogether uncommon in smaller mom-and-pop establishments, to see people acting in the capacity as door people and drinking while on the job, either.

totally disagree on the age thing.

By the time i was 23 I had served in the military for 5 years doing tours in both Iraq and Afghanistan and was a father. Being a doorman or bouncer is nothing.

At that age you should be a man or woman enough to handle that.

I still think 'physically distressed' was she was either having a panic attack, or crying. I was thinking paranoid state earlier in the case, but, if she went with JM into Tempo, or even walking with him, and not causing a huge ruckus about it, then she must not have been paranoid.

I think she was getting pretty concerned about being so far from home, alone, by that point. I think she had gotten turned around and hadn't intended to end up at the Mall, but may have recognized where she was by the time she got there and may have been thinking "ugh, it's 1 am and I am going to have to walk all the way back alone," and that's why she was walking so fast and may have looked scared or worried. I think she relaxed when JM approached her because he seemed harmless and like he would help her get home. Her posture and pace look a lot more relaxed in the Tuel's video and she may have been looking forward to a trip to Tempos to salvage the evening (a lot of it spent wandering) and then a ride home :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those sorts of places don't have bouncers, they have a greeter type person at the door to regulate people coming in or out.

If someone was going to get carded at a place like that it most likely would be at the bar itself.

Apparently this is the way it works in Charlottesville McGrady's had the set up. Hannah could not get in there. She did not have a fake id like other college kids do. May not even have been carrying id. No purse or any type of bag. Don't even know where she had her cellphone. Maybe in pants pocket.

The greeter could well be telling the truth. She didn't see or rememberJM go back in that second time when it's been pretty well established he did so. She didnt' see or remember Hannah going in or having been in there. Hannah may have snuck in via side door with JM. No reason to lie--very possible Hannah had a fake id,. She does remember seeing both of them later, and noticed they were together, and Hannah not it good cognitive or phyiscal state, needing help to support her walking.

After 9 or 10pm on the weekends it ceases being a high end restaurant and functions as a bar.

Thats already been well established in this thread by witness statements as well as the expertise of professional restaurant industry workers who work in the state of Virginia.

So has the function of a door person.

Im curious as to what exactly you think the door person is "regulating" if they arent checking ID's?

Maybe you meant a host or hostess?

NOT the same thing as a door person.

Hosts and hostesses arent utilized after the restaurant stops serving food and seating diners for the night.

totally disagree on the age thing.

By the time i was 23 I had served in the military for 5 years doing tours in both Iraq and Afghanistan and was a father. Being a doorman or bouncer is nothing.

At that age you should be a man or woman enough to handle that.

I agree that everyone 'should" be adult enough to handle that kind of responsibility but sadly thats not always the case....especially not in the restaurant industry where "partying" and drug/alcohol abuse is common....and youre hearing that from a bartender who did more than his fair share of partying in his younger days.

Did it slow down my rate of maturity? I would have said no or gotten angry about it if someone had asked me back then but looking back it undoubtedly did.

Not everyone matures at the same rate or has the same life experiences either. For example; I would imagine your time in the military forced you to grow up faster than a lot of your friends back home.

Wasnt it a popular saying or tag line at one time that said "You leave a boy and come back home a man"?

Thank you for your service.

A lot of establishments have side doors- especially restaurants that also dabble in the nightlife- and they'll usually have signs that say "If this door opens an alarm will sound" or something of that nature. 99% of the time that's a lie, but it seems to work. Some of the time anyways.

After 9 or 10pm on the weekends it ceases being a high end restaurant and functions as a bar.

Thats already been well established in this thread by witness statements as well as the expertise of professional restaurant industry workers who work in the state of Virginia.

So has the function of a door person.

Im curious as to what exactly you think the door person is "regulating" if they arent checking ID's?

Maybe you meant a host or hostess?

NOT the same thing as a door person.

Hosts and hostesses arent utilized after the restaurant stops serving food and seating diners for the night.

Zapped, you are 100% right on this one. Especially on the Charlottesville downtown mall. Pretty much every establishment there with late night hours functions as a credible restaurant by day, nightlife bar scene by night. Said establishments do not have the same personnel at night manning the door, as they would a host or hostess. I can say this because I am a local and know this for a fact.

A lot of establishments have side doors- especially restaurants that also dabble in the nightlife- and they'll usually have signs that say "If this door opens an alarm will sound" or something of that nature. 99% of the time that's a lie, but it seems to work. Some of the time anyways.
And we did hear chatter about a side door being used that night. Rumor, but still could be very true.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3
Back