Terrorist Attack at Boston Marathon #9 One Suspect Dead; One in Custody

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This article / opinion piece from The Los Angeles Times might help put it in perspective. It discusses the public safety exception which was put into play before any questioning began.

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion...lic-safety-exception-20130423,0,6020756.story

"On Friday, the U.S. attorney in Boston said the Justice Department was invoking a "public safety exception" to the Miranda rule that in most cases requires police to advise suspects in custody of their right to remain silent and their right to an attorney. Under the exception, announced in a 1984 Supreme Court decision, police may forgo reading a suspect his rights in the interests of public safety — and if the suspect then makes an incriminating statement, it can be used at trial."

More, of course...

Key words being "public safety". There is a time limit as well.
Thanks was just looking for something like that

Yeah you know the feds were not going to blow this by letting him say things they can't use later. It's not their first rodeo

No, sadly, I do not believe they "didn't find anything." I think someone did THE MINIMUM in checking these guys out and then the ball was dropped altogether. Yawn.

Don't upset people.

Not interested.

War on Terror ALL OVER or never existed.

It is like social services and abused children. There is a tension between "rights", sensitivity, and protecting the innocent. How many helpless children go back to abusive parents and end up dead? Only then, do we investigate the agencies and individuals who made the mistake. Then....we forget.

We should all care about why , AFTER the fact, we find out things like Russia contacting us numerous times about this family. SO WHAT if Russia was concerned that their radical Islamist views might be a problem for them! DUH! They have also been a problem for US...9-11, FtHood, Shoe-bomber etc. It is a disgrace that this was blown off.

And already two of their friends, here on student visas...are found NOT to be students at all. How much abuse in that program? All discovered AFTER the fact. When are we going to start naming and firing the gov employees who do not do their jobs and follow up on these things? Just as we do with child victims and social services? Dead babies? Well we have dead and maimed here! Clean up our disfunctional bureaucracy. Insist that people who do not do their job be replaced.

I'm sorry but a large reason the ball gets dropped from time to time has more to do with the fact that there is not enough money to pay workers, usually social workers, so case managers are over worked and have too many cases, and there is not enough budget to hire more. Too many cases...too few people....making not enough money for the hours they put in....and no money to hire a work force needed for the amount of cases. It's great to identify that there certainly is an issue with the ball being dropped in cases. But the solution is NOT in telling people to do a better job....the solution is in allocating more money to fund more jobs, so people who are following cases can give each one appropriate attention.

Perhaps if we didn't waste so much money butting our noses in conflicts of those abroad we could use those resources to hire more people right in this country....and minimize the ball dropping that happens.

Catherine Herridge on Fox: The detonation device for the pressure cooker bombs was the circuit board for a remote control which was activated by a remote that had to be within 250 ft. of the bomb. This type of detonation was NOT described in Inspire which had been reported as the possible plan for the bomb.

Also, something I'd missed, KT did speak with the FBI Sunday night for a few hours. Her lawyer was present.

Stephen Hayes on also saying that DT told FBI that KT called TT to tell him that the FBI was looking for him after the photos were released to the public.

Said Tsarnaev's brother Zhamal, speaking alongside him, said Tamerlan had visited his family in Dagestan last year and had not wanted to return to the United States, but his family insisted he go back to try to obtain U.S. citizenship.

"He said, 'I won't go. I want to stay here'. So he (Tamerlan's father) said he had to force him to go back.

"Tamerlan would sit at home all day long or go out to practice boxing. Sometimes on Friday he went to (the mosque)," Zhamal said.

"He said to his father, 'Let me bring my family (from the United States) and move here'."

Said Tsarnaev nodded and added: "He just felt he was in a foreign country ... So they did not want to live there. They felt it wasn't their thing."

http://news.yahoo.com/chechen-relative-boston-suspects-alleges-russian-plot-004618239.html

Omg, I wish he wasn't such a wuss that his dad could force him to live as an expat when he wanted to live his miserable existence in his home country.

Thanks was just looking for something like that

Yeah you know the feds were not going to blow this by letting him say things they can't use later. It's not their first rodeo
Maybe, maybe not. This analysis by Cornell law professor, Michael C. Dorf is worth a read.

How does all of the foregoing cash out? I think it's a fairly close case, although I strongly suspect that, if it came to it, most judges would find the sort of interrogation I'm envisioning falling within the public safety exception. My point here is simply that it's not an obvious slam dunk. The seriousness of the threat is doing a lot of the work.

http://www.dorfonlaw.org/2013/04/the-scope-of-mirandas-public-safety.html

http://www.dorfonlaw.org/2013/04/another-way-to-read-fbi-memo-re-public.html

And a 2011 article by FBI Special Agent Carl A. Benoit.

http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/law-enforcement-bulletin/february2011/legal_digest

Catherine Herridge on Fox: The detonation device for the pressure cooker bombs was the circuit board for a remote control which was activated by a remote that had to be within 250 ft. of the bomb. This type of detonation was NOT described in Inspire which had been reported as the possible plan for the bomb.

Also, something I'd missed, KT did speak with the FBI Sunday night for a few hours. Her lawyer was present.

Stephen Hayes on also saying that DT told FBI that KT called TT to tell him that the FBI was looking for him after the photos were released to the public.

Have we ever checked out about the man on roof at the blast site? (sorry i wasn't here in the early stages)

Also according to her and her sources they are not ruling out another person. Did they find remote control devices on or at the home/dorm of either suspect? I wonder if any of the survivors or bystanders noticed someone with a remote control device in their hands? Is it possible,the two brothers were just the bomb handlers and someone else was standing across the street or in the vicinity and detonated them? I would not rule out anything yet.

Jeff Bauman shows himself to be a more and more amazing person with every passing day.

Even as Jeff Bauman Jr. was being rushed to the hospital in the frantic minutes after the Boston Marathon bombings, he was already providing investigators with their first leads.

http://www1.whdh.com/news/articles/...n-marathon-survivor-spotted-suspect-in-crowd/

Imagine. He's a inch from death, but his efforts are in catching the bastards responsible for all the death, injury, and destruction.

BBM

BBM1: Now I'm wondering where they learned to construct the detonation device. Hopefully, TT's missing laptop will be recovered & a forensic examination will reveal useful info.

BBM2: If this is true, I'm not sure how I feel about his wife tipping him off that the feds were looking for him. I'm hoping she only did so because she was in utter disbelief that her husband, the man she loved & had a child with, could be responsible for the terrorist attack.

I can't help but feel angry that if she had instead assisted LE in locating TT, Officer Collier might still be alive.

I'm feeling very conflicted right now with regards to KR & her possible motivations in calling TT. No wonder she's been apparently reticent about talking to investigators.

I wonder if she volunteered this info, or if she only admitted to it after possibly being backed into a corner with cell phone records.

Also according to her and her sources they are not ruling out another person. Did they find remote control devices on or at the home/dorm of either suspect? I wonder if any of the survivors or bystanders noticed someone with a remote control device in their hands? Is it possible,the two brothers were just the bomb handlers and someone else was standing across the street or in the vicinity and detonated them? I would not rule out anything yet.

Good thinking! I can definitely imagine that.

BBM

BBM1: Now I'm wondering where they learned to construct the detonation device. Hopefully, TT's missing laptop will be recovered & a forensic examination will reveal useful info.

BBM2: If this is true, I'm not sure how I feel about his wife tipping him off that the feds were looking for him. I'm hoping she only did so because she was in utter disbelief that her husband, the man she loved & had a child with, could be responsible for the terrorist attack.

I can't help but feel angry that if she had instead assisted LE in locating TT, Officer Collier might still be alive.

I'm feeling very conflicted right now with regards to KR & her possible motivations in calling TT. No wonder she's been apparently reticent about talking to investigators.

I wonder if she volunteered this info, or if she only admitted to it after possibly being backed into a corner with cell phone records.

Yes I feel the same - had she only called police instead of TT!

Can this be held against her? Or is she, as his spouse, not obligated to report him?

Says Page not Found?

And who is Greta again?

Click on the Fox News link in the blue banner on the top of the box & it will take you to the video.

Greta Van Susteren is a Fox News host & commentator.

Re: The American wife calling and tipping off the bombers. Is this not aiding and abetting? Not that she will ever be prosecuted, but it is what it is. What she should have done was to call LE. And so should everyone else who instantly recognized them.

No wonder the security at her parents' home has been increased! And yes, I agree, this action of hers directly led to the murder of that police officer. How differently things would/could have gone down had her call been made to police who could have surrounded the apartment.

By the way, the photo of the table in the bomber's apartment, showing plates of half-eaten food left on the table made it clear that SOMEONE had contacted them and they left in a big hurry. It was only a matter of time until we found out who tipped them off....

Chechnya And The Tsarnaev Brothers: An Unfair Connection

http://newsone.com/2412412/chechnya-tsarnaev-brothers/

video at link helps to understand the region, and the people.
It's worth a look.

Honestly, I don't feel that article deals with the complexities very well. Of course not all or even most Chechans are terrorists. I don't think the connection of Checnya with the brother is 'unfair' at all, it's part of their background. It's possible the mix of some of it with whatever else is where the answer lies. I feel this article treats the whole subject with the complexity it's due:

How Anti-American Are Most Chechens? Not very.
Olga Khazan Apr 26 2013

http://www.theatlantic.com/international/archive/2013/04/how-anti-american-are-most-chechens/275349/
Chechen radicals have, over the years, cut deals with foreign fighters who were willing to give them money and weapons, said Muriel A. Atkin, a Russian history expert at George Washington University, and some of those outsiders "did include anti-Americanism as part of their agenda." But anti-Americanism among the typical Chechen? "I'm skeptical," she said...

...Tamerlan was apparently also a YouTube follower of the Chechen jihadist Gadzhimurad Dolgatov, who told Chechens that, "if you think Islam can be spread without spilling a single drop of blood, you're wrong."

Most Chechens are sticking to their moderate Islamic traditions. But a few, such as Tamerlan, bought into the new, terrifying fanaticism of the North Caucasus' holy war. And a few is all it takes.

BBM

I think she might have just been in denial. I mean, if I saw a friend or family member wanted on the news, I'd call them and be like "Dude, did you see the news? What's going on?". I'd want to hear what they have to say because it's hard to believe someone I know would do such a terrible thing.

Btw, I have been lurking in these threads ever since the bombing happened; I just finally decided to join. :)

I'm a little behind on some things though. Did anyone investigate into why the suspects were at MIT that night or where they built the bombs? I feel like they probably didn't build it at home since DT was living in dorms right? And TT was living with his daughter?

I think she might have just been in denial. I mean, if I saw a friend or family member wanted on the news, I'd call them and be like "Dude, did you see the news? What's going on?". I'd want to hear what they have to say because it's hard to believe someone I know would do such a terrible thing.

Btw, I have been lurking in these threads ever since the bombing happened; I just finally decided to join. :)

I'm a little behind on some things though. Did anyone investigate into why the suspects were at MIT that night or where they built the bombs? I feel like they probably didn't build it at home since DT was living in dorms right? And TT was living with his daughter?

I would be willing to believe that, but I am still having a difficult time with "Where was the daughter"... didn't KT say she dropped her off just hours before the bombing? Why can't we get a clear answer on where she was living and what their arrangements were? It seems odd that TT would take say he'd take care of his daughter on the day of the bombings. Where was KT she called TT about the pictures, at work? Who else did she call when she realized it was their pictures.

I feel like this is a really provocative but vague thing to say. No one has ruled out another person. I don't think anything COULD rule out another person - you can't prove that negative. It will never be known.

I feel like saying this is more or less political - leverage to get into the debate about enemy combatants and the timing of Miranda rights.

I would prefer if they said this in the context of evidence that there was another person, group, cell, etc. involved. So far, from what we've been told, this was a low-tech exercise. Remote controls and timers aren't tricky. So far this has also appeared to be low budget. Pressure cookers in backpacks. Pipes. Beebes and nails. A single gun. Holding up a Mercedes and asking for cash. A last minute decision to bring some bombs to NY. Where is the huge hole in the story where another person, group or cell answers an otherwise unanswered question? This, IMO, is where the discussion of co-conspirators should originate. Not vague, generic, "I can't rule out other people" rhetoric.

re bbm - I agree but want to add that I don't include the two Tsarni brothers into that assessement. They seem to be ok.

I haven't caught up, work and all. Probably can't for a while.

But what do you mean here?

The 2 men that just bombed the Boston Marathon? They are okay? They just tried to destroy hundreds of people. Has everyone forgotten that quickly? They were on the terrorist list for a reason. what did they do once they laid low for years and looked all comfy?

If you are all believing the news that you are told, even when we are being leaked that now mom was on the list, and they were just angry young men, I think world news would be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denie67