The British Royal Family - news, views, clothes & shoes! #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
:eek: Don't Panic... I didn't miss it.
(RL sucks so my apologies for the belated..)

1816290wc8jb9ec7q.gif

Tiara Alert!

:DThe Prince Philip Wedding Bracelet

When Lieutenant Philip Mountbatten -- or, as he was formerly known, His Royal Highness Prince Philip of Greece and Denmark -- proposed to Princess Elizabeth of the United Kingdom in the 1940s, he had to find a way to present his bride with jewels appropriate for a future queen while earning a sailor's paycheck.

lizphil-engagement008.gif

The Princess debuted her engagement ring for the first time in official photographs taken at Buckingham Palace.
Help came in the form of a diamond tiara :p owned by his mother, Princess Alice of Battenberg. The piece was dismantled; some of the stones were used to create Elizabeth's engagement ring, while others were used to make the diamond bracelet
742194758110efb1565821d1c68a6adb.jpg
Both jewels were made from diamonds taken from a tiara that belonged to the Duke's mother, Princess Andrew of Greece and Denmark
_Alice.jpg

Princess Alice, wearing the tiara dismantled to create the ring and bracelet
2019-0611-bracelet07.png

Princess Alice wears the now-dismantled tiara

Lucky he had a spare tiara!

...con'd^
:oops: I missed the main part I found fascinating, which was the whole point of original post - Duh

What’s more beautiful than the ring itself is the story behind it.
The diamonds—a centre stone flanked by 10 smaller pave diamonds—were originally part of a tiara ;) owned by Prince Philip‘s mother, Princess Alice of Battenberg, who was Queen Victoria’s great-granddaughter.

The diamonds themselves actually date back to the very end of Romanov dynasty. His mother had been given the tiara on her wedding day by Tsar Nicholas II and Tsarina Alexandra of Russia, the last rulers of the Russian Empire and to whom she was distantly related.

Now, pieces of it lie on the ring finger of the British monarch.
Princess Alice of Greece's Aquamarine Tiara
Provenance:​
Princess Andrew of Greece & Denmark née Princess Alice of Battenberg; from Emperor Nicholas II and Empress Alexandra of Russia on the occasion of her 1903 marriage to Prince Andrew of Greece & Denmark
Materials: aquamarines and diamonds
gettyimages-463991221-1509039613.jpg

In 1946, knowing that her son was planning to propose, Philip’s mother gifted him the tiara she was given on her wedding day so it could be dismantled and used to create a ring fit for a Queen.
aww.png

* I had read vaguely Alice living with 'Nuns' in her later years but hadn't given any more thought to it so this pic really caught my attention.
prince-philip-duke-of-edinburgh-attends-the-wedding-of-prince-of-to-picture-id81598932

Duke's Mother Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh attends the wedding of Prince Tomislav of Yugoslavia to Princess Margarita of Baden at Salem Castle in Bodensee, Germany, accompanied by his mother, Princess Andrew of Greece (formerly Princess Alice of Battenberg), 7th June 1957.

She had a quite fascinating life so I thought I'd add it here:
"Alice's life was dramatic, glamorous, tragic, tumultuous, and even heroic, and in between all of that, she managed to wear some interesting jewelry, too. To celebrate her birthday, here are some of my favorite photographs of the bejeweled princess"
circa-1910-alice-princess-of-greece-the-wife-of-prince-andrew-of-and-picture-id3300118

Alice, Princess of Greece
(circa.1910)
2015-0225-alicepostcard.jpg
Princess Alice of Battenberg shortly after her marriage to Prince Andrew of Greece (1906)
;) Loads more great pics as well - Birthday Jewels: Alice of Battenberg | The Court Jeweller
Tiara Mania: Princess Alice of Greece's Aquamarine Tiara

08932536-6CE6-43DA-8317-7B2562C2620F.jpeg

The Duchess of Cornwall beamed as she arrived at the reopening of Fulham Palace today in London.

Camilla, 71, donned a cream coat for the event, which featured a pretty pearl detailing along the seams.

Beneath the cost she wore a white dress by one of her favourite designers Fiona Clare, which featured a trendy 'hand-drawn' style floral print.

Duchess of Cornwall attends reopening of Fulham Palace | Daily Mail Online

Lucky he had a spare tiara!
Ahhh... Not quite
24890292-cute-young-beautiful-girl-wink-easy-editable-layered-vector-illustration-.jpg
(I think you gonna like this :p )
She survived revolution and exile, mental breakdown and religious mania, evincing great personal courage to protect a Jewish family during the war–
before turning her back on the trappings of royal life to become a nun
Princess-Alice-535x500.png

From being diagnosed with schizophrenia to becoming a nun, here’s a look at the amazing story behind one of the most interesting royal family members

Prince Andrew abandoned his wife and Philip and ran off to live with his mistress on her yacht anchored in the Mediterranean off Monte Carlo where Andrew quickly became addicted to the gaming tables.
Philip’s mother collapsed under the strain. She suffered a nervous breakdown and was institutionalized in Switzerland at the famed Bellevue Sanatorium.

She was sent for treatment in a Berlin clinic, where her womb was blasted with X-rays to cure her of frustrated sexual desires.”
413125.jpg
Sigmund Freud was the mind behind this method, but it failed to cure her mental illness...

Alice was released from the sanatorium in 1932, she became a drifter, reportedly staying in German bed and breakfasts. It was five years before she saw Philip again, the reunion may have been long-awaited, but the reasoning was sadly tragic. They were attending the funeral for Cécilie, Alice’s daughter and Philip’s sister. She’d been killed in a plane crash, at the young age of 26 in 1937...

Alone yet again, she was stuck in Nazi-occupied Greece in 1941. Her brother, Lord Mountbatten, sent her packages of food to help her survive. However, she distributed the food to those in need instead of keeping it for herself. While this may have proven her kindness, she showed her true bravery by hiding a Jewish family in her own home.
Alice lived close to the Gestapo headquarters, eventually they caught on to her acting suspicious. She was able to use her deafness to her advantage, as she pretended not to hear any of their questions...

she was “posthumously honoured as Righteous Among The Nations -– the highest honor to non-Jews who risked their lives during the Holocaust.”

Following World War II Alice sold her jewels and founded her own sisterhood of nuns, naming it the Christian Sisterhood of Martha and Mary.

In Athens, she built a covenant and an orphanage to help those in need.

Due to Alice’s refusal to leave Athens during a Greek military coup in 1967, Philip and Elizabeth took lengthy measures to bring her home. With a special request and a plane sent directly to her, they brought her back to Buckingham Palace.
62a3e9dfc90fb85a11c9f8933b03c9d9.jpg
She lived out the rest of her life with her family until her death in 1969. Just before she passed away, she wrote a loving note to her son:
“Dearest Philip, be brave, and remember I will never leave you, and you will always find me when you need me most. All my devoted love, your old Mama.”
Princess Andrew died at Buckingham Palace in 1969. According to her wishes, she was buried in Gethsemaneon the Mount of Olives in Jerusalem.

;) and this is only a few snippets of her fascinating life.

Princess Alice: A Look Back at the Amazing True Story of Prince Philip's Mother
● Haven't read thru this yet but looks to be a good synopsis :cool: of her life
Prince Philip’s Mum Had a Habit

View attachment 188637

The Duchess of Cambridge was on the cover of British Vogue in June 2016 so they are giving the Duchess of Sussex the opportunity now. The Duchess of Cambridge’s cover above looked great.
She does look great in that pic :)
But...
Did Kate do a 'guest editor' special?
I think it's Megan doing the whole 'editor' of a big name *style* mag that's the ... thing ;)

;) and this is only a few snippets of her fascinating life.

Wow, Princess Alice sounds mad as a box of frogs! Really sad about her daughter Cecilie (Philip's sister)

On 16 November 1937, Cecilie, her husband Georg, their two young sons and Georg's mother left Darmstadt for London, where they planned to attend the wedding. The aircraft in which they were travelling crashed in flames after hitting a factory chimney near Ostend, Belgium, killing all on board. Cecilie was eight months pregnant with her fourth child at the time of the crash, and the remains of the baby were found in the wreckage; a Belgian official enquiry concluded that Cecilie had given birth mid-flight and the landing attempt was made in bad weather because of this.

Wow again. Who knew Prince Philip had had such a touch childhood?

Prince Philip's adult life has been one of immense privilege coupled with an unfailing sense of duty. But his childhood was a dark and often frightening place where he had to fend for himself from a very early age.

The future Duke of Edinburgh was born at Mon Repos, a Regency villa on the island of Corfu on June 10, 1921. His parents Prince Alice of Battenberg and Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark already had four children but they were all girls. Philip, registered as Philippos, was their first boy and sixth in line to the Greek throne.
His early years should have been a sun-kissed idyll but the family was caught in the tumult that gripped Europe for the first half of the 20th century. In 1922, Turkey invaded Greece. Philip's father was serving in the army and, after disobeying orders during a battle, was accused of treason and exiled.

He fled to Paris by boat, his toddler son [Philip] carried onboard in an orange crate, and it was there that the family gradually unravelled. Princess Alice, the great-grand-daughter of Queen Victoria, suffered from a form of psychosis and in 1931 was forcibly confined to a Swiss psychiatric sanatorium after suffering a nervous breakdown.

Worse was to come. Prince Andrew, disillusioned and dissolute, moved to the south of France to be with his mistress. His daughters had all married German noblemen within nine months of each other and left home. At just 10 years old, Philip had been abandoned.

From the summer of 1932 until the spring of 1937 [so, age 10-16] he neither saw nor received any word from his mother, not even a birthday card. She was later to become a nun.

It’s simply what happened,” he has said. “The family broke up. My mother was ill, my sisters were married, my father was in the south of France. I just had to get on with it. You do. One does.”

Love the pic of him with his mum, Princess Alice, after she'd decided to be a nun, and of her striding down the aisle on Coronation Day.

Prince-Philip-Of-England-And-His-Mother-Princesse-Alice-Of-Battenberg.jpg

Philip with his mother Alice in her nun's habit (Image: Gamma-Keystone)

Coronation-2nd-June-1953-Westminster-Abbey-Coronation-Day-1953-Procession-Headed-By-Princess-Alice.jpg

Alice (front of picture) at Westminster Abbey on Coronation Day (Image: Rex Features)

Inside Prince Philip's tragic childhood that made him so tough

Prince Philip's adult life has been one of immense privilege coupled with an unfailing sense of duty. But his childhood was a dark and often frightening place where he had to fend for himself from a very early age.

The future Duke of Edinburgh was born at Mon Repos, a Regency villa on the island of Corfu on June 10, 1921. His parents Prince Alice of Battenberg and Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark already had four children but they were all girls. Philip, registered as Philippos, was their first boy and sixth in line to the Greek throne.
His early years should have been a sun-kissed idyll but the family was caught in the tumult that gripped Europe for the first half of the 20th century. In 1922, Turkey invaded Greece. Philip's father was serving in the army and, after disobeying orders during a battle, was accused of treason and exiled.

He fled to Paris by boat, his toddler son [Philip] carried onboard in an orange crate, and it was there that the family gradually unravelled. Princess Alice, the great-grand-daughter of Queen Victoria, suffered from a form of psychosis and in 1931 was forcibly confined to a Swiss psychiatric sanatorium after suffering a nervous breakdown.

Worse was to come. Prince Andrew, disillusioned and dissolute, moved to the south of France to be with his mistress. His daughters had all married German noblemen within nine months of each other and left home. At just 10 years old, Philip had been abandoned.

From the summer of 1932 until the spring of 1937 [so, age 10-16] he neither saw nor received any word from his mother, not even a birthday card. She was later to become a nun.

It’s simply what happened,” he has said. “The family broke up. My mother was ill, my sisters were married, my father was in the south of France. I just had to get on with it. You do. One does.”

Love the pic of him with his mum, Princess Alice, after she'd decided to be a nun, and of her striding down the aisle on Coronation Day.

Prince-Philip-Of-England-And-His-Mother-Princesse-Alice-Of-Battenberg.jpg

Philip with his mother Alice in her nun's habit (Image: Gamma-Keystone)

Coronation-2nd-June-1953-Westminster-Abbey-Coronation-Day-1953-Procession-Headed-By-Princess-Alice.jpg

Alice (front of picture) at Westminster Abbey on Coronation Day (Image: Rex Features)

Inside Prince Philip's tragic childhood that made him so tough

Yes, I recall seeing some of his childhood story in a recent tv show or movie about the BRF. Probably "The Crown". He had a horrible childhood, spent most of it alone and in boarding schools. Seldom saw or heard from either of his parents. Part of the story had to do with the passing of his father when Phil was young. Phil, being the only family at the funeral, had to walk alone behind his father's coffin for a long way between the funeral and burial. I assume that's why he wanted to walk with William and Harry at Diana's funeral procession.

He was pretty much an orphan after that and grew up in boarding schools. Never really had a home.

ETA: It was his sister's funeral where he walked behind the casket. His father must have been out being a playboy.

Last edited:
She had a certain pizazz, an alluring quality, and beautiful when she was young

—I really like QM’s hat style over the years.

And I love the historic photos.
:D I know technically it's not a hat but it's a great excuse to post my favourite pic of the Queen Mother
2018-0210-strathmore02.png

Queen Elizabeth wears the tiara, ca. 1926
Go on then here's a couple more just coz...
Friends-Glitters-15.gif

136634bf03647a49682e715ba8f2af44.jpg

Lady Elizabeth Bowes-Lyon, aged 9, with her brother, David
qm_crop.jpg

Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother. Elizabeth Angela Marguerite Bowes-Lyon
portrait-of-lady-elizabeth-angela-marguerite-boweslyon-later-queen-picture-id840993976

Duchess of York

Lady Elizabeth Angela Marguerite Bowes-Lyon (1927)
:) I so love this pic of her^

On the subject of Prince Philip's father, this old photo of him looks remarkably similar to Prince Harry.
Prince Andrew Constantine is standing on the left

I agree he's like Philip, but with Spencer colouring.

Check out this pic of the two of them. The Philip image is from an old edition of Paris Match magazine and I believe it's been colourised

upload_2019-6-12_21-41-55.png

There's so much interesting stuff I'm find out about here - Thank you all! :D

A bit more;
"When Turkey invaded Greece in 1922, Prince Andrew was accused of treason; he was tried, convicted, and jailed and faced possible execution by firing squad. Princess Alice (known as Princess Andrew to English speakers) appealed to her British relative, King George V, for help.
Remembering what had happened to his Russian cousin the Tsar when he had refused his cry for rescue, the King quickly dispatched the HMS Calypso to remove Andrew, his wife, their four daughters, and Baby Philip from Greece. Prince Andrew boarded the ship carrying his 18-month-old son in an orange crate. They sailed for France."

So that means the Queens Grandpa, King George V actually saved Prince Philips life when he was a baby :eek:

Off topic as zilch to do with the Royals, but we've discussed British food quite a lot and I think this is a fair representation of our classics.

Funnily enough I love (and regularly eat) all of these, except everything on the bottom row ...... bleeurrghhh!

upload_2019-6-13_14-45-44.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members