The British Royal Family - news, views, clothes & shoes! #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I get my crowns all mixed up, sorry. I thought that was a picture of the crown Queen Elizabeth wears when she opens Parliament. I did, however, go back and do my research. They sort of all look alike.

However, this article does an excellent job of setting them all straight. The Duchess of Cambridge will wear the Queen Mother's Crown when she becomes Queen Consort.

Crowns – Royal Exhibitions
;) There's a lot of them ..
The one she wears for the 'State Opening of Parliament' is 'THE CROWN'
(only ever worn by the Monarch)

The Imperial State Crown is one of the Crown Jewels of the United Kingdom and symbolises the sovereignty of the monarch
The Imperial State Crown
https%3A%2F%2Fhistoricroyalpalaces.picturepark.com%2FGo%2FXALkifbb%2FV%2F7286%2F29

The State Crown is the one which the sovereign wears during his or her reign

The crown is worn by the monarch on leaving Westminster Abbey at the end of his or her coronation. It is also worn or carried at the annual State Opening of Parliament

..Usually, it is taken to the Palace of Westminster under armed guard in its own carriage and placed in the Robing Room, where the Queen dons her robes and puts on the crown before giving her speech to Parliament

Garrard & Co - The Imperial State Crown
Imperial State Crown - Wikipedia

But wait! We need to be talking about Camilla's Queen consort crown also?

How come no one is talking about that?

Am I correct in that she would be if Charles is king? I thought she would be first. Yes, yes, yes, I know what people think about that but through tradition of royalty, she would be first, right?

Or is it just the rags in Europe don't talk about her much and that she was not even mentioned as far as what she would be wearing?

ETA I loved that Diana's two sisters were in the official photograph of the christening. I cannot remember their names.

ETA #2 Question - when the queen dies, how long is it usually until they pass along to the next person and have the coronation? Enough time to make the proper Crown from discussion after death to the coronation? Or is it something that is pre-planned and it's already in progress probably?

Last edited:

Am I correct in that she would be if Charles is king? I thought she would be first. Yes, yes, yes, I know what people think about that but through tradition of royalty, she would be first, right?

Or is it just the rags in Europe don't talk about her much and that she was not even mentioned as far as what she would be wearing?

ETA I loved that Diana's two sisters were in the official photograph of the christening. I cannot remember their names.

ETA #2 Question - when the queen dies, how long is it usually until they pass along to the next person and have the coronation? Enough time to make the proper Crown from discussion after death to the coronation? Or is it something that is pre-planned and it's already in progress probably?

BBM

HRH Elizabeth is 93 (or 94, we observed her birthday is surely prepared for this eventuality? Surely plans are in place?

Currently Camilla is known as the Duchess of Cornwall, and will be Princess Consort when HRH Charles becomes King.

Don't remember where I read that, I think both decisions were announced so worldwide Diana, Princess of Wales fans wouldn't riot. (I have a pitchfork if we do need to riot, just sayin')

Just guessing that both future Consorts, Camilla & Catherine, are wise enough to choose from the 3 available Consort crowns....

images

Crown posted up-thread with arches removed as described. (I think?)

Ooohhhh, "the diamond consort crown is decorated with some 2,800 diamonds — though the pièce de résistance is undoubtedly the 105-carat Koh-I-Noor diamond that serves as the centerpiece."

Whoa!
;)
The 'Koh-I-Noor Diamond'
well that's a whole other story...
The Koh-i-nûr armlet c. 1830
115552-1292700258.jpg

Koh-I-Noor Diamond

koh-i-noor-diamond.jpg
Provenance
Presented to Queen Victoria, 1850

(*At this time it belonged to her personally)

The Koh-i-Noor became a part of the Crown Jewels when it was left to the Crown upon Victoria's death in 1901.

(;)as it is part of the CROWN JEWELS it therefore now belongs to the nation i.e. Crown)

Today, the diamond is on public display in the Jewel House at the Tower of London,

Since arriving in the UK, it has only been worn by female members of the family. Victoria wore the stone in a brooch and a circlet. After she died in 1901, it was set in the Crown of Queen Alexandra, wife of Edward VII. It was transferred to the Crown of Queen Mary in 1911, and finally to the crown of Queen Elizabeth in 1937 for her coronation as Queen consort.

:cool:
Here's a good write-up of the whole fascinating story of the Koh-I-Noor Diamond.

The True Story of the Koh-i-Noor Diamond—And Why the British Won’t Give It Back
A star of London’s Crown Jewels, the Indian gem has a bloody history of colonial conquest

The diamond came from India’s alluvial mines thousands of years ago, sifted from the sand. According to Hindu belief, it was revered by gods like Krishna—even though it seemed to carry a curse, if the luck of its owners was anything to go by. The gem, which would come to be known as the Koh-i-Noor Diamond, wove its way through Indian court intrigues before eventually ending up in the British Crown Jewels by the mid-1800s.

**now I think it's about time for a little drink**
800px_COLOURBOX12192719.jpg
The True Story of the Koh-i-Noor Diamond—And Why the British Won’t Give It Back | History | Smithsonian
Garrard & Co - The Koh-i-nûr armlet
Koh-i-Noor - Wikipedia

images

Serious regality, on the Buckingham Palace balcony after the coronation of HRH Elizabeth's father.

Can't tell which crown HRH Mary (The King Mum just doesn't work for HRH Mary) is wearing?

I supposed the circlets that HRH Elizabeth & HRH Margaret wear will be polished up for George, Charlotte, and Louis? Hhhmm, that means a third one....

There is one other important CROWN I'm gonna add before everyone gets even further confused :p
but I just ran across this article.
I'm gonna put this here for the 'Camilla' part :D
* Note: this is an old article from the Daily Star so...??

Camilla having ‘new CROWN’ made by ‘desperate’ Charles so she can be QUEEN

He hopes to make Camilla a “Queen Consort” – the title usually given to the wife of a reigning Monarch.

o_OBut Camilla has not wanted to take on such a role, preferring the lesser-known Princess Consort title.

A diamond-studded crown will be placed on the head of “Queen Camilla” when Prince Charles becomes King.

It will be the culmination of Charles’ attempts to give his wife the top title when the current Queen dies.

Camilla Parker Bowles having 'new crown' so she can be Queen - Daily Star

Wait a minute:

The source I used says it's the St. Edwards crown that is used at the coronation of a new monarch, and it is ONLY used for that event.

St Edward’s Crown

"This crown is one of the most important of all the Crown Jewels. It is the crown which is used at the moment of coronation.

The original, medieval crown was melted down by the Parliamentarians during Oliver Cromwell’s rule. When the monarchy was restored on 29th May 1660, new regalia had to be made before there could be a coronation. A copy was instructed to be made. It was to be used at the actual moment of crowning, but never worn again during the reign.

The crown is made of solid gold. Up until George V’s coronation it was set with paste stones and enamel mounts. In 1911, for the coronation of George V, the crown was permanently set with semi-precious stones, and the imitation pearls were replaced with gold beads, which were plated with platinum.

Later the platinum plating wore off revealing the gold beads. The crown has a velvet “Cap of Estate” and a faux ermine border. Our replica is made as near as possible to the original.

Great importance is paid to every detail of the crown. It is made of base metal, gold plated and set with best quality crystal stones."

Then there is the Imperial State Crown

The Imperial State Crown

"The Imperial State Crown is the most magnificent of all the Crown Regalia. It was made in 1838 for the Coronation of Queen Victoria, and then altered for the Coronation of George VI in 1937 and Elizabeth II in 1953. It is usually worn at the end of the coronation ceremony, when the newly-crowned monarch departs from Westminster Abbey. Although the crown is modern in design, it is set with very ancient gems." I believe HM Queen Elizabeth II also wears it to open Parliament.

Now I'm a bit crown-crazed: Maybe it's time for a Pimm's cup

I cannot imagine wearing something so heavy for very long

I think the same thing every time I see the queen in long sleeves and a coat dress during the hot summer when it is a hundred degrees where I am.

Reminds me of the dry idea antiperspirant, and their tagline was never let them see you sweat. How do they do it? I've asked this before and I still don't get it. Even the close-ups of her out in the lawn in the afternoon when it is very hot, there is no sweat.

And as somebody said up thread, put a hat on my head and high temperatures and I'm sweating down my face, or something like that.

Wait a minute:

Now I'm a bit crown-crazed: Maybe it's time for a Pimm's cup
:D I knew I'd better do another post to bring into the mix the St Edward's Crown

This is the crown used in the actual Coronation Ceremonies.

Then the Imperial State Crown is worn at the end of the coronation ceremony, when the newly-crowned monarch departs from Westminster Abbey.

St Edward's Crown is the crown used at the moment of coronation. This Crown, which was made for the Coronation of Charles II in 1661
Because of its weight St Edward's Crown was not worn but carried in the coronation procession for over 200 years, from the reign of Queen Anne, and placed on the altar during the ceremony.

*This crown weighs 2.23 Kg.

St Edward's Crown 1661,
Couronne-St-Edward.jpg
Provenance
Commissioned for the Coronation of Charles II on 23 April 1661 from the Crown Jeweller, Robert Viner.

The medieval crown on which St Edward's Crown is based had always been kept in Westminster Abbey after the coronation service, since its association with Edward the Confessor made it a sacred relic.
This tradition was continued with the new crown of 1661, so a second, 'state' crown was prepared for use on other occasions. Because the state crown is used so regularly, it has needed periodic replacement, while Charles II’s original coronation crown has survived.

St. Edward's Crown - Simple English Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sir Robert Viner, 1st Baronet (1631-88) - St Edwards Crown

This crown is a good possibility for Kate (or Camilla? less so?) as it was intended for use of future 'Queen Consort' o_O

Queen Mary's Crown 1911
149971-1297438634.jpg
When it came time for her husband's coronation Queen Mary funded a brand new crown for herself, but she then gave it over for use by all future Queen consorts

Mary bought the Art Deco-inspired crown from Garrard & Co. herself, and hoped that it would be worn by future queens consort.
methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F163e0938-b6ab-11e8-849b-d1a6cd5e8545.jpg
;)(*of course, this hasn't happened yet as she ended up using it herself, sans arches, for her son's coronation* and the future Queen Mother had to come up with the crown shown above instead)

Queen Mary also sent a few other items in her possession as queen to the Tower of London for inclusion with other crown jewels - items that came from some of the riches she received as India's Empress

https://royalexhibitions.co.uk/crown-jewels-2/royal-regalia/
Garrard & Co - Queen Marys Crown

@Keine Engel

Can I get a tiara?

I am exhausted and I had to use voice to text for my posts today, which apparently Doesn’t understand half the words I say to it so it’s a constant struggle Hahahaha ugh

Ongoing shoulder pain issues and exhaustion I need a great beautiful tiara to make me feel better

*Side note my phone put Tyra instead of tiara which I had to change* LOL :rolleyes:

upload_2019-7-7_18-40-8.jpeg

Oh look!! she looks exactly as I feel today! :cool::D:oops::p

I second that :) floridagrrl thanks for those posts
(It’s nice to have a thread here that doesn’t include horror and heartbreak )
I’m a message board fan from way back so it’s nice to get an offtopic thread here for a little lighthearted banter MOO

I don’t do entertainment news reading usually don’t Twitter at all really and just some light local IG. (Well and now the royals lol ) So I appreciate getting the heads up on any royal stuff here

I don’t usually click on the negative sounding stories especially about Will/Kate and Harry and Meghan I just can’t be bothered I guess.

Those crowns are soooo impressive
Wowsa

I noticed recently upthread how well Camilla can pull off the larger tiaras
This was the one I think
“The mammoth Greville tiara”
(And omg it’s matching necklace)
Inside Camilla Parker Bowles's jaw-dropping royal jewelry collection

No idea if this link is going to work ...https://www-hellomagazine-com.cdn.a...les-royal-jewelry/0-340-439/gallery_1_1-a.jpg

I agree floridagrrl, this is a happy place. Xo

Plus, we have more tiaras than any other thread.

Last edited:
How do they keep those crowns on their heads? I don’t think ordinary bobbie pins would do the trick and they are so expensive! I’d like to know the secret to keeping them from falling off whenever they move or shake their heads.
They are re-fitted & adjusted to requirements :D

Here's when she was reunited with the St. Edward Crown where she explains how the heavy crown "could break your neck"
The Queen and St Edward's Crown
The Queen Elizabeth II has made a rare appearance in a television documentary to comment on the experience of her coronation.

When you see her wearing it at her Coronation Ceremony you can understand better :eek:
field_image_Coronation-of-Queen-Elizabeth.jpg

:) Full length film of the Coronation Ceremony 1953
(approx. 3 hours)
BBC TV Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II: Westminster Abbey 1953
The central part of the BBC’s marathon eight-hour live television broadcast of the Coronation on 2 June 1953, beginning with the Queen’s arrival at Westminster Abbey and going through to the end of the service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skoorboh54