The British Royal Family - news, views, clothes & shoes! #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Licorice: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, Dosage, and Warning

Licorice has a long history of medicinal use, mostly as a stimulant and bronchodilator
It used to be sold in Chemist Shops (pharmacists ;) ) years ago as well as sweet shops as root stick.
Licorce-1.jpg

It used to be sold in Chemist Shops (pharmacists ;) ) years ago as well as sweet shops as root stick.
Licorce-1.jpg

Ha ha, my Great Grandfather always had licorice. He would ask, "Do you want red, or do you "need" black?". What a hoot!

Prince George is cruelly mocked for taking ballet classes by US TV host - as celebs leap to his defence

Mean! What is wrong with Prince George taking ballet lessons? I totally agree with our beautiful first lady, that bullying really needs to end. And definitely leave children out of catty discussions. Let the child grow up.

Before Websleuths goes dark for awhile, I’ll share the story I promised about my great-great grandfather’s involvement in making jewelry for Queen Victoria. This is taken from his handwritten outline for his autobiography. He died in 1899 without completing it.

In 1844, at the age of 15, the young German, Herman Marcus, came to Dresden, Germany to apprentice for six years to Mr Ellemeyer, the court jeweler to the King of Saxony. In 1845 they traveled to Coberg when Queen Victoria visited Prince Albert’s home for the first time. Mr Ellemeyer had been commissioned by Prime Minister Lord Palmerston to be the jeweler to the Queen on the occasion of this visit.

Herman writes: “The first order given by the Queen (at St James Palace) to our house [was] to execute a bracelet in which were to be incorporated the first five pearly teeth of her two first born children.”

Yes, teeth. I have searched in vain for a photo online. Queen Victoria is known to have had other jewelry made from her children’s teeth, so I have no doubt this existed. He describes it as “sky blue enamel, inlaid with a diamond flower, a rose, the Rose of England, and five rosebuds and leaves, each bud containing a pearly tooth, the promising future of H.M family expressed in this bracelet.”

It sounds charming, in a toothy sort of way. :)

Apparently Queen Victoria was so happy with the bracelet that she commissioned a complete parure consisting of a diadem, necklace, stomacher, bracelets and earrings. Diamonds, emeralds, pearls? No. Herman writes: “she forwarded a box containing several dozen of deer’s teeth, the color of which is chestnut brown. These teeth were procured from deer shot during hunting season by Prince Albert.” She would wear these at hunting banquets, where precious stones would be considered out of place. Herman left a space to describe these pieces, but never finished his autobiography. And again, I haven’t found pictures online.

Herman met my Scottish great-great grandmother, Margaret Elder, in Dresden where she was working at a girls’ boarding school. They made their way to New York City in 1850, where he worked for jewelry firms including Tiffany and later opened his own firms with different partners. His sons entered the business and became Marcus & Company, in business from 1892 and continuing with their sons (including my grandfather) to 1941. They produced many absolutely gorgeous pieces of jewelry, still highly valued today, and some owned by the Met Museum in NYC.

Did I inherit any “family jewels”? No. But I have photos I’ve collected online, so I can drool occasionally. Unfortunately, there were no known tiaras :( except the deer tooth diadem worn by Queen Victoria.

Last edited:
Maybe I’ll binge watch Benny Hill

My proper Scottish mother HATES Benny Hill

“It’s so.......... COMMON! “

Ha ha! My late proper mother would have said the same thing had she seen him. However she binge-watched “Are you being served” and “Keeping Up Appearances” to the day she died at 92.

Before Websleuths goes dark for awhile, I’ll share the story I promised about my great-great grandfather’s involvement in making jewelry for Queen Victoria. This is taken from his handwritten outline for his autobiography. He died in 1899 without completing it.

In 1844, at the age of 15, the young German, Herman Marcus, came to Dresden, Germany to apprentice for six years to Mr Ellemeyer, the court jeweler to the King of Saxony. In 1845 they traveled to Coberg when Queen Victoria visited Prince Albert’s home for the first time. Mr Ellemeyer had been commissioned by Prime Minister Lord Palmerston to be the jeweler to the Queen on the occasion of this visit.

Herman writes: “The first order given by the Queen (at St James Palace) to our house [was] to execute a bracelet in which were to be incorporated the first five pearly teeth of her two first born children.”

Yes, teeth. I have searched in vain for a photo online. Queen Victoria is known to have had other jewelry made from her children’s teeth, so I have no doubt this existed. He describes it as “sky blue enamel, inlaid with a diamond flower, a rose, the Rose of England, and five rosebuds and leaves, each bud containing a pearly tooth, the promising future of H.M family expressed in this bracelet.”

Apparently Queen Victoria was so happy with the bracelet that she commissioned a complete parure consisting of a diadem, necklace, stomacher, bracelets and earrings. Diamonds, emeralds, pearls? No. Herman writes: “she forwarded a box containing several dozen of deer’s teeth, the color of which is chestnut brown. These teeth were procured from deer shot during hunting season by Prince Albert.” She would wear these at hunting banquets, where precious stones would be considered out of place. Herman left a space to describe these pieces, but never finished his autobiography. And again, I haven’t found pictures online.

Herman met my Scottish grandmother, Margaret Elder, in Dresden where she was working at a girls’ boarding school. They made their way to New York City in 1850, where he worked for jewelry firms including Tiffany and later opened his own firms with different partners. His sons entered the business and became Marcus & Company, in business from 1892 and continuing with their sons (including my grandfather) to 1941. They produced many absolutely gorgeous pieces of jewelry, still highly valued today, and some owned by the Met Museum in NYC.

Did I inherit any “family jewels”? No. But I have photos I’ve collected online, so I can drool occasionally. Unfortunately, there were no known tiaras :( except the deer tooth diadem worn by Queen Victoria.
Oh My - Thank You!
That is fascinating...
3846de8052faace2975fe88e77d500c7.gif

;) p.s. I'm on it

If anyone can find the deer tooth tiara, you can! :)
Well we do have this to start with o_O

The dental crown jewels: How Queen Victoria wore her daughter's tooth on a brooch

...Even, it seems, incorporating the first milk tooth lost by their eldest daughter, Victoria - known to her family as Princess Vicky - into a rather bizarre piece of jewellery.
article-1257493-08B122CB000005DC-227_308x185.jpg
Never seen before in public, the tooth forms the flower of a gold and enamel brooch fashioned in the shape of a thistle.
article-1257493-08B1B105000005DC-46_468x488.jpg
The stag-tooth necklace Prince Albert gave Queen Victoria... after blasting the animals to death | Daily Mail Online

The dental crown jewels: How Queen Victoria wore her daughter's tooth on a brooch

...Even, it seems, incorporating the first milk tooth lost by their eldest daughter, Victoria - known to her family as Princess Vicky - into a rather bizarre piece of jewellery.
Never seen before in public, the tooth forms the flower of a gold and enamel brooch fashioned in the shape of a thistle.
The stag-tooth necklace Prince Albert gave Queen Victoria... after blasting the animals to death | Daily Mail Online
I guess it’s no worse than my rabbits paw Kilt pin

Herman met my Scottish great-great grandmother, Margaret Elder, in Dresden where she was working at a girls’ boarding school. They made their way to New York City in 1850, where he worked for jewelry firms including Tiffany and later opened his own firms with different partners. His sons entered the business and became Marcus & Company, in business from 1892 and continuing with their sons (including my grandfather) to 1941. They produced many absolutely gorgeous pieces of jewelry, still highly valued today, and some owned by the Met Museum in NYC.

How lovely, thank you for sharing.

:D ^ from same link
article-1257493-08B122A6000005DC-642_468x521.jpg

A pair of teeth set in thistle with a tartan ribbon
:cool:
The consort would shoot stags and present their teeth to his wife...

It also shows how the pair would shower each other with sometimes barbaric tokens of their passion for each other.

Among the gifts on display is a rather gruesome gold and enamel necklace containing 44 teeth from stags hunted on the royal estate at Balmoral by Albert for his beloved wife.

Each of the teeth is engraved with the date on which the animal was killed while the clasp contains the inscription: 'All shot by Albert'.

In the eye-rolling department.

EDEN CONFIDENTIAL: Meghan to make emotional 'pilgrimage' to Princess Diana's burial place | Daily Mail Online

I would have done this as a VERY PRIVATE affair, very low key and not allowed any press info about it at all

OK - now back to tiaras,tarts, tartans

A quote by Prince Harry from your link:

The Prince said poignantly of his mother: ‘I think she would have been best friends with Meghan.’

This visit to Princess Diana's resting place is sacred, just as Princess Diana's resting place is sacred.

Let us extend Love and Warm Wishes to the Duke and Duchess of Sussex as they pay their love and respect to the departed Beloved Diana, Princess of Wales.

May the People's Princess Forever Rest in Peace.

Amazing story, Lilibet! I absolutely love it!

Do you know there is a legal limit for the amount of REAL black licorice one is allowed to consume in the US?

It is 3 pounds

Excessive consumption of black licorice can give you Pseudohyperaldosteroneism. I took care of someone with this once. He was totally addicted to black licorice.

It’s a real disease.
Did Lara Spencer never hear of Rudolf Nureyev or Mikhail Baryshnikov? Two of the most world famous danseurs nobles in the history of ballet.

In addition, let us never forget the most elegant dance of our beloved American dancer Patrick Swayze. He was classically trained. Although this particular dance isn't classical ballet, the choreography is obviously influenced by his early ballet training.

Thank You Patrick for making dance a Hot Topic! I will always admire you.

Love ❤️ love Patrick Swayze. Forever ♾ in our hearts.

If anyone can find the deer tooth tiara, you can! :)
I haven't found that yet :D but quickly...
I think maybe I have some evidence of the bracelet?
:confused:
“The characteristic English trends were towards simplicity and sentiment. Queen Victoria wore classic parures on state occasions, but at other times favouring trifling sentimental jewels, such as a bracelet set with the first teeth of all her children”

This is a quote taken from Joan Evans’s A History of Jewellery: 1100-1870 (2nd ed.)

The actual text in the book :
* link problem - Google books ??

Love ❤️ love Patrick Swayze. Forever ♾ in our hearts.

IMO, there's nothing hotter to this cisgen female than a man who is both strong and beautifully elegant.

Strength and sensitivity are very desirable traits to many people.

Here's the thing: Men are not the only ones to perpetuate misogyny.

Lara Spencer's misogynistic comments only serve to provide support to misogyny.

I haven't found that yet :D but quickly...
I think maybe I have some evidence of the bracelet?
:confused:
“The characteristic English trends were towards simplicity and sentiment. Queen Victoria wore classic parures on state occasions, but at other times favouring trifling sentimental jewels, such as a bracelet set with the first teeth of all her children”

This is a quote taken from Joan Evans’s A History of Jewellery: 1100-1870 (2nd ed.)

The actual text in the book :
* link problem - Google books ??

Thanks KE. I have read about the bracelet with the first teeth of all her children. That’s a different one and I can’t find the bracelet with the 5 teeth of her first two children. We’ll keep looking. I do this every once in awhile in case a new photo gets posted on some obscure website!

Yes, once you start looking, there is a lot! The stag (or deer) tooth necklaces I’ve seen have all been white. The set my g-g grandfather was involved in making has “chestnut brown” teeth. I assume they didn’t clean them, but maybe they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ClueCrusader