The British Royal Family - news, views, clothes & shoes! #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We’re back! What’s new? :)

More relentless Meghan Markle bashing by the Daily Mail and Prince Andrew stuff unfortunately. I wish we had other positive royal news to post and discuss. I’m not posting the negative Duchess of Sussex articles anymore I’m fed up with it.

I’m glad things are back up and running again I had to resort to cleaning and other boring chores to pass the time. Hope you all enjoy the rest of your weekend.

I am not a Meghan fan but I am also tired of the bashing articles. Prince Andrew, don't get me started. At the age of 93, the Queen should not have to deal with these articles. I am no fan of MM or Prince Andrew but enough is enough. If there is any truth to Prince Andrew's bashing articles, he has enough to torture himself emotionally and internally.

I am not a Meghan fan but I am also tired of the bashing articles. Prince Andrew, don't get me started. At the age of 93, the Queen should not have to deal with these articles. I am no fan of MM or Prince Andrew but enough is enough. If there is any truth to Prince Andrew's bashing articles, he has enough to torture himself emotionally and internally.

I feel terribly sorry for Eugenie and Beatrice. I hope they have support from stable members of the RF.

I hope the young ladies have full support of friends and family. It must be horrifying to read this information about your father. My dad was my hero. I could not bear to read those horrible articles and think that they may be true or worse find out that they are true. Glad the young princesses have a partner to help them deal with all of this.

Andrew issues a denial of wrongdoing and knowledge along with a mea culpa for his association after 2010 posted on the Epstein thread. He said all the right things and seemed heartfelt, so here’s hoping. It springs eternal.

I'm so cross a company would do this (no fault of the Cambridges) just for the marketing of having their logo in photos with them (wonder if they leaked the time of their flight to the press also). Stuff like this makes a mockery of attempts to halt climate change. People still need to fly places, companies do not need to fly empty planes for marketing

Flybe bosses 'flew an EMPTY aircraft 123 miles to pick up Prince William and Kate' | Daily Mail Online

Airline bosses 'flew an EMPTY aircraft 123 miles to Norfolk to pick up unwitting Prince William and Kate because they wanted Flybe branding on royal journey - not a smaller partner airline'

• Two empty flights would be responsible for extra 4.5 tons of carbon emission

I hope the young ladies have full support of friends and family. It must be horrifying to read this information about your father.

Especially when one of your main patronages is an anti-slavery charity and your Father is accused of having used sex slaves and definitely of having a close relationship with someone who did abuse sex slaves for decades. I wonder will Eugenie's modern slavery podcast still go ahead.

I don't believe that children should pay for the sins of their parents. I would hope he wouldn't be booed at Beatrice's eventual wedding (he definitely deserves booing and rotten eggs but she doesn't deserve any of it) or that she wouldn't feel the need to elope to avoid something like that happening.

Attention Everyone,
This is an official announcement that I'll be wearing a tiara this Christmas (because I'm not a European or British princess so I have no where else to wear one). All this tiara talk has left me feeling that a nice head scarf is no longer sufficient for me.

I am loving Princess Mary of Denmark's Midnight Tiara.
margrethe_70_55.jpg

Before Websleuths goes dark for awhile, I’ll share the story I promised about my great-great grandfather’s involvement in making jewelry for Queen Victoria. This is taken from his handwritten outline for his autobiography. He died in 1899 without completing it.

In 1844, at the age of 15, the young German, Herman Marcus, came to Dresden, Germany to apprentice for six years to Mr Ellemeyer, the court jeweler to the King of Saxony. In 1845 they traveled to Coberg when Queen Victoria visited Prince Albert’s home for the first time. Mr Ellemeyer had been commissioned by Prime Minister Lord Palmerston to be the jeweler to the Queen on the occasion of this visit.

Herman writes: “The first order given by the Queen (at St James Palace) to our house [was] to execute a bracelet in which were to be incorporated the first five pearly teeth of her two first born children.”

Yes, teeth. I have searched in vain for a photo online. Queen Victoria is known to have had other jewelry made from her children’s teeth, so I have no doubt this existed. He describes it as “sky blue enamel, inlaid with a diamond flower, a rose, the Rose of England, and five rosebuds and leaves, each bud containing a pearly tooth, the promising future of H.M family expressed in this bracelet.”

It sounds charming, in a toothy sort of way. :)

Apparently Queen Victoria was so happy with the bracelet that she commissioned a complete parure consisting of a diadem, necklace, stomacher, bracelets and earrings. Diamonds, emeralds, pearls? No. Herman writes: “she forwarded a box containing several dozen of deer’s teeth, the color of which is chestnut brown. These teeth were procured from deer shot during hunting season by Prince Albert.” She would wear these at hunting banquets, where precious stones would be considered out of place. Herman left a space to describe these pieces, but never finished his autobiography. And again, I haven’t found pictures online.

Herman met my Scottish great-great grandmother, Margaret Elder, in Dresden where she was working at a girls’ boarding school. They made their way to New York City in 1850, where he worked for jewelry firms including Tiffany and later opened his own firms with different partners. His sons entered the business and became Marcus & Company, in business from 1892 and continuing with their sons (including my grandfather) to 1941. They produced many absolutely gorgeous pieces of jewelry, still highly valued today, and some owned by the Met Museum in NYC.

Did I inherit any “family jewels”? No. But I have photos I’ve collected online, so I can drool occasionally. Unfortunately, there were no known tiaras :( except the deer tooth diadem worn by Queen Victoria.

Wow! What a great story!

Teeth. Who ever knew!

Attention Everyone,
This is an official announcement that I'll be wearing a tiara this Christmas (because I'm not a European or British princess so I have no where else to wear one). All this tiara talk has left me feeling that a nice head scarf is no longer sufficient for me.

I am loving Princess Mary of Denmark's Midnight Tiara.
margrethe_70_55.jpg

Gather up the baby teeth. You too can have a royal tiara

Attention Everyone,
This is an official announcement that I'll be wearing a tiara this Christmas (because I'm not a European or British princess so I have no where else to wear one).

Could we have a tiara-tartan meet-up and watch the Downton Abbey movie together?

DOWNTON ABBEY | Alamo Drafthouse Cinema

I read that a theater is hosting a costume evening. Right up our tiara-ed alley, um er Abbey!

JMHO YMMV YTMV Your Tiara May Vary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member