The British Royal Family - news, views, clothes & shoes! #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope GMA turns this into a teachable moment. They should profile some kids who absolutely adore dance.

Lara’s mocking is in her laughing - I got the impression she didn’t think it was possible for any five or six year old boy to be sophisticated enough to like a high art form like ballet.

Doesn’t speak very well of her assessment of American kids either.

I remember a heartwarming story of fathers participating in their little kids first dance classes to help them join the class and to bond with their child.

TY for bringing this up, Rose!

I've watched that same video. Those awesome dads dancing (some wearing tutus) to support their children was epic! I'll always remember it. :)

I’ll never forget the Bank Holiday in 1978...

We had the place to ourselves and stayed at a B & B with a German family. Their little girls were about the same age as our daughter (7) and they played happily together despite knowing only the language of play.
:D From the Very British Comedy Classic as also posted earlier by @Herat
200.gif

Lara Spencer is getting plenty blowback for her quite frankly ignorant attitude.

Not only could we use more dance but also exposure to classical music.

"Good Morning America" Thinks It's Totally Acceptable to Laugh at a 6-Year-Old for Taking Ballet

One of my ballet teachers was a dancer with The Royal Ballet. Best teacher ever.

Did Lara Spencer never hear of Rudolf Nureyev or Mikhail Baryshnikov? Two of the most world famous danseurs nobles in the history of ballet.

In addition, let us never forget the most elegant dance of our beloved American dancer Patrick Swayze. He was classically trained. Although this particular dance isn't classical ballet, the choreography is obviously influenced by his early ballet training.

Thank You Patrick for making dance a Hot Topic! I will always admire you.

Throughout my life I have purchased wonderful, often never worn designer clothing at used clothing stores at a fraction of retail.

And the stores are different than church rummage sales where care and presentation matters. But even then, there are a couple of well known sales in my hometown that are legendary.

There was one store in Philadelphia profiled a while ago where there was a specific focus on consulting and helping women put together a work wardrobe.

Often it’s a matter of finding a style and a fit that works. And, yes, accessorizing gives a polished, individual touch.

Women looking for jobs without a ton of money to invest can look and feel great, too.

I always felt it was good for the environment, too. I donate my own lightly or never worn clothes to pass it on.

I never felt used clothing stores were shameful, or felt like I was picking through discards, but rather I was treasure hunting for a nice bargain.

Today, there are many more designers than back in my day, and maybe there’s an importance in that factor that Meghan is tapping into? I have not seen her finished line or its price points. But, Meghan like so many others loves fashion, and what it can do for confidence building. Her partnership with helping the working woman is not such a stretch as even her show Suits was set in the corporate world.

Where I’m gathering much criticism is coming from is in how people feel about “celebrity”. And, yes, it is a world with many superficial aspects. Especially Hollywood.

Meghan wants to bring her experience as a working woman to help empower other women - this is a perfectly good cause. Can an American woman do it successfully in the UK? Or, is she utilizing young British designers for her line? —I hear some major doubts out there, but we’ll see.

When people have what they need, they can cast aside what is deemed superficial.

From the outside looking in, it is a different story.

Poor people never think they are poor. They give so freely. There is great shame in poverty.

Give them new clothes. Cast offs no matter what are not good enough. Someday when there is pride and not shame, they will shop for value as well.

Now it is a matter of self esteem to not HAVE to take cast offs

As the witching hour approaches, I have made a to-do list for the weekend. Our respective vehicles need pre-fall interior cleaning, so we'll do that in the morning before it gets too hot. We haven't watched the recent CNN series about the history of films and will binge-watch throughout the weekend. On Sunday night, DH will spend two hours on his laptop doing his fantasy football season picks. I always try to watch a film or two each day during TCM's Summer Under the Stars and will choose a few to watch tomorrow and Sunday. Reading and word puzzles are an everyday pastime, and I plan to make risotto tomorrow. I think I can handle the Websleuths recess :D Enjoy your weekend!

I feel your OCD pain! The wrong color drives me nuts. That’s why I’ve followed Canadian Maria Killam’s color blog for years. Don’t paint until you’ve checked her out. It’s all in the undertones and she’s the expert. She just came out with a color wheel to help with picking neutrals. Her free offer may still be on. Of course, you may want to be adventurous and consider a fun color for your laundry room. :D I’ve always liked yellow with gray.
Maria Killam's Understanding Undertones Colour Wheel Now Available!

The secret is cool and warm. You cannot have cool and warm.

If you have a cool orange, pair with a cool other color. No warms. When you see a house that is painted wrong, that is the problem.

If I use red and green, I put a little green into the red and have it mixed and vice versa. It seems to take care of the issue.

We take color samples and tape them on to the wall and have many people critique. Remove the ones everyone hates.

I think any colors can go together as long as they are either all cool or all warm

Prince George is cruelly mocked for taking ballet classes by US TV host - as celebs leap to his defence

I studied ballet from age eight and continued well into my thirties when my body said, "No more!"

I absolutely agree with this statement from the above article: "Dance has countless scientifically proven benefits for physical and mental health.

"There should be nothing but encouragement for any male who chooses to try dance whether it’s as a fun hobby or for a future as a professional.”

Additionally, I believe that ballet is a discipline that is unparalleled, and that discipline finds it's way into many other aspects of life. Ballet students strive for perfection and tend to excel academically. Those who study ballet develop confidence, self-esteem, musicality, physical strength and agility that stays with them throughout their lives. I see no harm in Prince George's interest in ballet and hope his parents continue to support him.

There are US football players that take ballet

...First week is a conference, mornings-only in London

What to do second week.

1. Another full week in London and environs ( Windsor, Oxford, Cambridge)?

2. Week in Scotland, principally in Edinburg, a couple of days trying to find relatives that don’t know who I ama?

3. Week in the area of Yorkshire / Lake Country ?

I’m just going to say that The Tatler travel articles are so bad for my budget...

Any advice or recommendations?
:cool: Before we get shut down just quickly ...
If you're free afternoons when in London then you'll probably be able to manage most of the sights as well?
Most are pretty close together in London itself, Windsor really isn't that far away either :)

I personally would say definitely try getting up to Edinburgh. Then anywhere in the Highlands - it's all beautiful

But then again so is the Lake District!:D

British. I think Bassett's might be part of the Cadbury (chocolates) company. My dad used to bring the licorice candies home from Windsor whenever he visited his Canadian family. I love black licorice :)
Do you know there is a legal limit for the amount of REAL black licorice one is allowed to consume in the US?

It is 3 pounds

Excessive consumption of black licorice can give you Pseudohyperaldosteroneism. I took care of someone with this once. He was totally addicted to black licorice.

It’s a real disease.

British. I think Bassett's might be part of the Cadbury (chocolates) company. My dad used to bring the licorice candies home from Windsor whenever he visited his Canadian family. I love black licorice :)

I thought they were Scandinavian always. My favorite. How how about the berries with the little sprinkles on them? Kind of like gum drops? In MN , we have glass jars and you can buy as many as you want.

:cool: Before we get shut down just quickly ...
If you're free afternoons when in London then you'll probably be able to manage most of the sights as well?
Most are pretty close together in London itself, Windsor really isn't that far away either :)

I personally would say definitely try getting up to Edinburgh. Then anywhere in the Highlands - it's all beautiful

But then again so is the Lake District!:D

Thanks

I have fantasies about spending days in the British Museum. I still vividly remember seeing the Rosetta Stone years ago. I was floored at seeing it

I thought they were Scandinavian always. My favorite. How how about the berries with the little sprinkles on them? Kind of like gum drops? In MN , we have glass jars and you can buy as many as you want.
Oh yeah.

Those ones that look like little raspberries are like licorice- light. Not the hard core black tarry stuff that gets stuck in your teeth.

When people have what they need, they can cast aside what is deemed superficial.

From the outside looking in, it is a different story.

Poor people never think they are poor. They give so freely. There is great shame in poverty.

Give them new clothes. Cast offs no matter what are not good enough. Someday when there is pride and not shame, they will shop for value as well.

Now it is a matter of self esteem to not HAVE to take cast offs

I agree 100% with you Human.

IMO, when women in a lower socioeconomic demographic are seeking to gain employment and to raise their socioeconomic 'status', they need new, never-worn quality clothing.

Think about it: If one is expected to accept the 'cast-off' garments from the so-called 'upper-class', what effect might this have on one's self-esteem and confidence when interviewing for well-paying positions? IMO, this might have the unintended effect of sending the message that 'you're not top-rate' and/or 'you don't deserve this job' because 'you can't afford brand-new clothes'.

On the other hand, when a woman wears a brand-new professional outfit when she goes for a job interview, I think it has a tremendously positive effect on her confidence, which in turn has an effect on her interview performance, IMO.

I've seen it firsthand.

Do you know there is a legal limit for the amount of REAL black licorice one is allowed to consume in the US?

It is 3 pounds

Excessive consumption of black licorice can give you Pseudohyperaldosteroneism. I took care of someone with this once. He was totally addicted to black licorice.

It’s a real disease.

Licorice: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions, Dosage, and Warning

Licorice has a long history of medicinal use, mostly as a stimulant and bronchodilator. I actually crave black licorice when I'm having an asthma episode but know that I can't overindulge because it will raise my BP. I'm in the midst of a summer (allergic) asthma episode and have had a craving for black licorice for a couple of weeks.

British. I think Bassett's might be part of the Cadbury (chocolates) company.
:cool: George Bassett & Co., known simply as Bassett's, was a British confectionery company and is now used as a brand of Cadbury, owned by Mondelēz International. The company was founded in Sheffield by George Bassett in 1842. Perhaps the company's best-known sweets, the Liquorice Allsorts, were created by accident in 1899 and in 1926 the mascot of Bassett's, Bertie Bassett, was created; Bertie continues to represent the brand today. In 2016, the brand was joined with Maynardsto create Maynards Bassetts.
Oh yeah.

Those ones that look like little raspberries are like licorice- light. Not the hard core black tarry stuff that gets stuck in your teeth.
61P8aqbWD4L.jpg
;) They're called Spogs (or Jelly Buttons)
You can get all of the allsorts individually!

Ooops..forgot Link ^ is Wiki :D

Did Lara Spencer never hear of Rudolf Nureyev or Mikhail Baryshnikov? Two of the most world famous danseurs nobles in the history of ballet.

In addition, let us never forget the most elegant dance of our beloved American dancer Patrick Swayze. He was classically trained. Although this particular dance isn't classical ballet, the choreography is obviously influenced by his early ballet training.

Thank You Patrick for making dance a Hot Topic! I will always admire you.

Adding American Edward Vilella who was an aspiring professional baseball player but became a famous ballet dancer and choreographer. I share my January 27th birthday with Mikhail Baryshnikov and had the pleasure of seeing him perform with American Ballet Theatre.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Neilyboy13