DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soooo...
source.gif
:D
Without doubt what @Lilibet has told us about Queen Victoria having the bracelet set with her all children's 1st teeth is absolutely correct. :p

Curiously there's not an awful lot of info. out there (that I've found yet!)? What is thou intriguingly is 'credible' (IMO) references in books.
Here's another: (in addition to one in earlier post^)

Die Weltausstellung von 1851 und ihre Folgenedited
Queen Victoria loved it and made it even more popular, going so far as to have a bracelet set with the first teeth of all her children.
Franz Bosbach, John Davis · 2012 · History

:mad:Unfortunately I've not come across a pic of it but worse... whatever happened to it?

die-welt-jpg.200065
* Is there a reason Google Book links don't seem to work or longer than a Royal Brides train? :confused:

As far as the 'Deer Tooth Diadem' ;) up to now a preliminary search lead me back here!

Attachments

• Die Welt.jpg
    Die Welt.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 223
Soooo...
source.gif
:D
Without doubt what @Lilibet has told us about Queen Victoria having the bracelet set with her all children's 1st teeth is absolutely correct. :p

Curiously there's not an awful lot of info. out there (that I've found yet!)? What is thou intriguingly is 'credible' (IMO) references in books.
Here's another: (in addition to one in earlier post^)

Die Weltausstellung von 1851 und ihre Folgenedited

Franz Bosbach, John Davis · 2012 · History

:mad:Unfortunately I've not come across a pic of it but worse... whatever happened to it?

die-welt-jpg.200065
* Is there a reason Google Book links don't seem to work or longer than a Royal Brides train? :confused:

As far as the 'Deer Tooth Diadem' ;) up to now a preliminary search lead me back here!

Thanks for continuing to search, KE. :) I suspect that the pieces my great-great grandfather was involved in producing disappeared into a private collection within the RF and were never photographed for public viewing. I’d like to think they will surface eventually.

A jewelry historian did two scholarly articles about the history of Marcus & Company for an antiques magazine and she never found any pieces that could definitely be attributed to Herman Marcus as designer. We know he worked as a designer for Tiffany, but that was apparently a dead end. When he established himself in NYC, he was more involved in merchandising the jewelry made for his firms. Of course, her research was focused on NYC, not Germany. Dresden was bombed to bits in WWII, so any records that might have existed about the jewelry made for Queen Victoria were no doubt destroyed.

Thanks KE. I have read about the bracelet with the first teeth of all her children. That’s a different one and I can’t find the bracelet with the 5 teeth of her first two children. We’ll keep looking. I do this every once in awhile in case a new photo gets posted on some obscure website!
:confused: I wonder why there is no record of whatever happened to these? It's clearly true she's known to have had (at least one's documented) the baby teeth set into a bracelet, how on earth is it possible to lose track of something so personal let alone invaluable? :(

There's other personal 'keepsake' pieces in the Royal Collection Trust that thankfully no-one lost :rolleyes:

QUEEN VICTORIA'S ROYAL MEMENTOS TO GO ON DISPLAY INCLUDING CHILDREN'S BABY TEETH
Baby teeth are kept in a gilt-metal casket specially commissioned by Victoria in the 1860s
The exhibition in London will look at how the 19th Century ruler transformed the palace into a family home, which included keeping her children’s teeth in an intricate gilt-metal casket she’d commissioned in the 1860s.
15978278-7242287-The_summer_exhibition_at_Buckingham_Palace_this_year_looks_at_ho-a-37_1562961787838.jpg
Wrapped in delicate paper inscribed with italic recordings of names and dates, the teeth are nestled in satin-lined compartments with blue velvet lids featuring tiny golden crowns...

34565181-3731-419f-8d85-0293595e9050.jpg
The box also has the embroidered names of the monarch’s four oldest children, the Princess Royal, the Prince of Wales, Princess Alice and Prince Alfred.

:cool:
Then we have these made with baby teeth of Princess Beatrice (her youngest child).

Pendant and earrings in the form of fuscias
A pendant and a pair of gold mounted enamel earrings in the form of a fuscia flower set with milk teeth from Princess Beatrice (1857-1944), Queen Victoria's youngest child. These are suspended from an enamelled ribbon.

The work of setting the teeth in the fuschia-shaped gold and enamel mounts was executed by R. & S. Garrard in November 1864,
153895-1297498327.jpg

Queen Victoria expressed her love for her family by commissioning jewellery incorporating her children's milk teeth. In November 1864, the jewellers R & S Garrard set the milk teeth of Princess Beatrice, the Queen's youngest child, in gold and enamel mounts to create a pendant and pair of earrings in the form of fuchsia flowers, said to symbolise taste.​

Queen Victoria exhibition will feature children's baby teeth and marble casts of their limbs
R & S Garrard - Pendant and earrings in the form of fuscias

... Dresden was bombed to bits in WWII, so any records that might have existed about the jewelry made for Queen Victoria were no doubt destroyed.
:( That's a VERY good point - sadly

I did read that after Queen Victoria died Edward VII cleared out a lot of her "clutter" :oops: I guess it was all down to his opinion what that was?
Just imagine what treasures could possibly be still hidden lost in amongst all the long discarded 'clutter' found in 2nd hand stores or eBay :p

Still looking for this jewellery has been most interesting if nothing else :)
- I'm so curious now thou I'm not giving up yet! -

:( That's a VERY good point - sadly

I did read that after Queen Victoria died Edward VII cleared out a lot of her "clutter" :oops: I guess it was all down to his opinion what that was?
Just imagine what treasures could possibly be still hidden lost in amongst all the long discarded 'clutter' found in 2nd hand stores or eBay :p

Still looking for this jewellery has been most interesting if nothing else :)
- I'm so curious now thou I'm not giving up yet! -

Shame on Edward! But you can’t take it with you and “clutter” eventually becomes a burden to succeeding generations, no matter how wonderful it is.

I love watching “The Antiques Roadshow” to see what turns up.

I’m so glad you’ve enjoyed looking for the tooth jewelry. I appreciate your interest. :) I wish I had a tiara photo to share, but I guess the wealthy NYC clientele of Marcus & Company didn’t wear them. The Rockefellers probably thought they were gauche. :D

Here is another bracelet Prince Albert had made for Victoria, this one included a lock hair within each portrait for each child o_O

Bracelet with miniatures of Victoria, Princess Royal, Albert Edward , Prince of Wales, Princess Alice, Prince Alfred, Princess Helena and Princess Louise
Presented on her twenty-sixth birthday in 1845, with the miniature of her eldest child, Victoria, the bracelet was subsequently added to with portraits of five further royal children as they reached the age of four. She wrote in her journal that among her presents was,
'...a bracelet in enamel with pearls at the corners, to hold miniatures of the Children. Albert intends kindly to give me a miniature of the Children, as they attain the age of 4 years.'
QVJ 24 May 1845​
253903-1330618460.jpg

153675-1297494891.jpg
Gold and blue champlevé enamel bracelet, each square link centred by a circular miniature surrounded by four pearls; head and shoulders of eldest six children.
Each miniature signed and dated on the back.
Each compartment engraved on reverse with sitter's name: inset with locks of hair.
Bracelet engraved on reverse, 'From Albert / May 24. 1845.'

Miniature Portrait of Edward the Expurgate ;)
- aged 4 -
Explore the Royal Collection Online

:D I'm on a roll now...
- This one has a very modern look, it's actually something I would wear myself -

Bracelet 1840-57

Gold chain bracelet with nine enamelled heart shaped lockets of different colours; containing the hair of Queen Victoria's children.
154791-1297514092.jpg

216490-1319795128.jpg
This simple chain and locket bracelet is typical of the sentimental items Prince Albert gave to the Queen. The inscription on the clasp states that it was given to her three days after the birth of their first child, Victoria, The Princess Royal.

A locket was added for each subsequent birth, each one containing a lock of the child's hair and inscribed with the name and date of birth.

o_O But what really caught my eye was this;

"This was one of a group of jewels placed in the ‘Albert Room’ at Windsor Castle after the Queen's death in 1901. This was the room in which Prince Albert had died in 1861 and the Queen left instructions for a specific list of personal jewellery to be placed there and not passed on in the family." :cool: ???

- Bracelet

:confused: I wonder why there is no record of whatever happened to these? It's clearly true she's known to have had (at least one's documented) the baby teeth set into a bracelet, how on earth is it possible to lose track of something so personal let alone invaluable? :(

There's other personal 'keepsake' pieces in the Royal Collection Trust that thankfully no-one lost :rolleyes:

QUEEN VICTORIA'S ROYAL MEMENTOS TO GO ON DISPLAY INCLUDING CHILDREN'S BABY TEETH
Baby teeth are kept in a gilt-metal casket specially commissioned by Victoria in the 1860s

15978278-7242287-The_summer_exhibition_at_Buckingham_Palace_this_year_looks_at_ho-a-37_1562961787838.jpg
Wrapped in delicate paper inscribed with italic recordings of names and dates, the teeth are nestled in satin-lined compartments with blue velvet lids featuring tiny golden crowns...

34565181-3731-419f-8d85-0293595e9050.jpg
The box also has the embroidered names of the monarch’s four oldest children, the Princess Royal, the Prince of Wales, Princess Alice and Prince Alfred.

:cool:
Then we have these made with baby teeth of Princess Beatrice (her youngest child).

Pendant and earrings in the form of fuscias

153895-1297498327.jpg

Queen Victoria expressed her love for her family by commissioning jewellery incorporating her children's milk teeth. In November 1864, the jewellers R & S Garrard set the milk teeth of Princess Beatrice, the Queen's youngest child, in gold and enamel mounts to create a pendant and pair of earrings in the form of fuchsia flowers, said to symbolise taste.​

Queen Victoria exhibition will feature children's baby teeth and marble casts of their limbs
R & S Garrard - Pendant and earrings in the form of fuscias

Am I the only Websleuther here that is thinking about DNA and the pulp of all these teeth to prove lineage or an affair? :D

...I suspect that the pieces my great-great grandfather was involved in producing disappeared into a private collection ...
:cool: He does seem to be very highly respected;

The Little-known Story of Marcus & Company Jewelry
Have you ever heard of the jewelry firm Marcus & Co.? If not, you’re not alone. While Cartier and Tiffany are household names synonymous with luxury jewelry, Marcus & Co. is not. Yet this designer of fine jewelry deserves its place among the elite.

Herman Marcus came to New York from Germany in 1850 and started working as a designer at Tiffany & Co.

He represented Tiffany at the 1878 Exposition Universelle in Paris
. Marcus left Tiffany around 1884 to establish his own firm, Marcus & Co., with his two sons. Herman died in 1899 but his sons continued to run the company well into the 20th century

o_O
Was Dresden know by any other name pre 1850's?

The Little-known Story of Marcus & Company Jewelry | Skinner Inc.

Attention Everyone,
This is an official announcement that I'll be wearing a tiara this Christmas (because I'm not a European or British princess so I have no where else to wear one). All this tiara talk has left me feeling that a nice head scarf is no longer sufficient for me.

I am loving Princess Mary of Denmark's Midnight Tiara.
margrethe_70_55.jpg

"When I am old I shall wear purple, with a diamond tiara...".

I am just too old to be a princess for Halloween, too young to wear a diamond tiara around the nursing home. Sigh.

I could make one for our dog. She thinks she is a queen.

:cool: He does seem to be very highly respected;

The Little-known Story of Marcus & Company Jewelry
Have you ever heard of the jewelry firm Marcus & Co.? If not, you’re not alone. While Cartier and Tiffany are household names synonymous with luxury jewelry, Marcus & Co. is not. Yet this designer of fine jewelry deserves its place among the elite.

Herman Marcus came to New York from Germany in 1850 and started working as a designer at Tiffany & Co.

He represented Tiffany at the 1878 Exposition Universelle in Paris
. Marcus left Tiffany around 1884 to establish his own firm, Marcus & Co., with his two sons. Herman died in 1899 but his sons continued to run the company well into the 20th century

o_O
Was Dresden know by any other name pre 1850's?

The Little-known Story of Marcus & Company Jewelry | Skinner Inc.

Yes, as you can see, google will find a lot of info. This write-up has a couple of gaps and inaccuracies, but it gives the general idea. There are even pages on Pinterest for the jewelry. :)

According to Wikipedia, Dresden has always been the name of the city.

...According to Wikipedia, Dresden has always been the name of the city.
:) Yeah I think it has...
I was thinking how records from that era would have been written. I don't think there was a 'Germany' as we know it now?
Thinking along that line (with my history knowledge basically all thanks to the brothers Grimm :D & Mad King Ludwig) rather than calling themselves 'Germans' wouldn't it be more likely be Prussian, Bavarian, Hessian & ... Saxon <is that right? lol>
poster,840x830,f8f8f8-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg
And by trying to think like a 19th century Saxon :D it lead me to...

:) Saxony’s royal court jeweler Moritz Elimeyer!

which then lead me to this fabulous gem;

Object de Vertu des sächsischen Hofjuweliers Moritz Elimeyer
(Object de Vertu of the Saxon court jeweler Moritz Elimeyer)
:eek:
2738.jpg
Saxon court jeweler Moritz Elimeyer Dresden. 2nd half of 19th century .; 14 ct. Yellow gold, partly. Enamelled polychrome. Screwed, hinged Eidose. plastically inner designed chicken and Kaiser crown with diamonds in ajour to unfold, in a small ring, set entouriert of small diamond roses with a cornflower blue sapphire. Original case.
Object of Vertu by Moritz Elimeyer, with a ring, set with one sapphire and diamonds Numerous, in 14k gold.

laden-semper.jpg

540x360.jpg
- Yeah I know it's not what we're looking for but it's soooo pretty - :p

Auction - Grosse Kunstauktion Nr.174 at 11.05.2019 - LotSearch.de

How much I wish I could see this fabulous exhibit in a fabulous setting in London
:) Maybe it will get extended?
It could be worth a visit anyway...

FREE ADMISSION;)
Open 7 days a week, 10am-5pm

The Wallace Collection is a national museum in London with free admission to our permanent collection.

We are conveniently located near Oxford Street, Baker Street and Marylebone Village in Central London:

Collection Highlights

:cool: PSA
5551218_keep_calm___london_s_calling.jpg

*All British National Museums are FREE Admission*

;) Enjoy!
Top 23 free museums in London
Top 23 free museums in London

'Unacceptable and incomprehensible': Gene Kelly's widow rips GMA host Lara Spencer for mocking Prince George over taking ballet lessons

Gene Kelly's widow rips GMA host Lara Spencer for mocking Prince George | Daily Mail Online

Patricia Ward Kelly's full letter

In 1958, my late husband, the dancer, director, choreographer Gene Kelly, decided to take on the stigma facing male dancers in an Omnibus television program for NBC that he created and starred in called “Dancing, A Man’s Game.” He hoped that by aligning the great sports stars of the day—Mickey Mantle, Johnny Unitas, Vic Seixas, Sugar Ray Robinson, among others—he could challenge and destroy the shame surrounding male dancers once and for all. For Gene it was more than a professional task. It was, in his words, a personal “crusade” to show that dancers are athletes and that it is okay for a man to be graceful. As he says in the special: “What could be more graceful than a football player throwing a pass—what is more excitingly beautiful than the swift movement of a double play? Every motion a good athlete makes is as beautiful as any a dancer makes.”

Sadly, on August 22, 2019, Good Morning America elected to run a disgraceful segment about Prince George and his ballet classes. That host Lara Spencer would mock a boy’s study of ballet in a nationally televised morning show and that her colleagues would join in her derision is both unacceptable and incomprehensible.

Gene was a classically trained ballet dancer and believed that his training was essential to all that he did. He was schooled in Chicago by a woman named Berenice Holmes who had been the student of the great Russian dancer Adolph Bolm. Gene said that Holmes could perform many complicated turns better than a man, including a double tour en l’air, and that she instructed him to dance with great strength, particularly in his arms. He knew that ballet training gave him the long, beautiful line that he sought in his dancing and, later, in his choreography for the camera that led to some of the seminal films of our time, including On the Town; An American in Paris; Singin’ in the Rain; Brigadoon.

Over the years, Gene advised many professional athletes to study ballet, including former wide receivers Willie Gault and Lynn Swann. Both acknowledge that the training improved their performance on the field. Many have followed suit. Gene would be devastated to know that 61 years after his ground-breaking work the issue of boys and men dancing is still the subject of ridicule—and on a national network.

ABC must do better.

Patricia Ward Kelly (Mrs. Gene Kelly)

Good letter. Imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads