The British Royal Family - news, views, clothes & shoes! #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
...A few decades ago I saw Les Ballets Trockedero. Men en pointe... they were amazing. Delightful, funny, and oh so talented.

They have the tiara thing going on, too. :)

DH and I saw the "Trocks" perform at the Detroit Opera House some years ago. When the performance began, the audience seemed to not take the men dancing en pointe and wearing tutus seriously. After their "warm up act", it was apparent that these guys were phenomenal in their ability to dance so gracefully, in pointe shoes, and with exquisite technique. It was truly an amazing evening of classical ballet, and the all-male company earned their standing ovation!

Ok friends we are planning for a trip to Scotland in 2021 or 2022. Where do I start?
RelievedAfraidBlacknorwegianelkhound-size_restricted.gif
There can be only one...

That one is @gregjrichards :p

Ok friends we are planning for a trip to Scotland in 2021 or 2022. Where do I start?

I’m Scottish please let me know if I can help you at all. Make sure you visit Loch Lomond and make a stop at the Duck Bay Marina restaurant. Visit Edinburgh if you can and go on a sightseeing bus. Stirling castle is my local castle and it is also worth a visit. St. Andrews is also a beautiful place to spend a day at the aquarium and beach. I would recommend visiting Scotland between April and September as the weather is not great the rest of the year.

After the Megan Kelly fiasco - she's probably trying to save her job.

I personally don’t think Lara should be fired over this but do think she made a ridiculous, foolish and misjudged comment. Hopefully she learns from her mistake and everyone moves on. Lara’s comment made the news over here.

Good God....overcompensating a bit? GMAFB!

Forgive me if I am misunderstanding you. They are not at all overcompensating! Lara has a huge audience and as such, her words matter. I think it’s terrific that all these male dancers came to the defense of little boys (royalty or not) who like to dance. They are making a difference for all little boys who are shamed for dancing.

On a personal note, I live in a small community with a world class live theater and a number of excellent community theaters. For decades I have been privileged to see many male dancers in amazing shows. My neighbor happens to be one of them and the next time I see him I will thank him once again for the joy he has brought to me and to our community for over thirty years.

...Herman’s great-granddaughter,:eek:my -mother, bearing her maiden name Marcus, was visiting Germany (Munich or Berlin) in 1933 at the time of the book burnings of primarily Jewish authors. I was told by another family member that she had to leave Germany quickly to avoid trouble in case it was assumed she was Jewish. My mother would never speak of it, so I don’t have confirmation or details. She would have been 21 at the time. Chilling, if true.
supermond-fotografie-muenchen-am-friedensengel-germany_l.jpeg

Friedensengel - München

:( Berlin, 1933

FpvRpU8.jpg
Book burning Berlin, 1933

Reichstag-brooks-on-parliaments-hell.jpg

Reichstag burning, 1933
Reichstag_after_the_allied_bombing_of_Berlin.jpg

Reichstag in ruins, 1933

reichstag-berlin-1.jpg
Reichstag Berlin, 1910

Rise of the Third Reich, 1933

germany-third-reich-nuremberg-rally-1933-opening-of-the-party-in-picture-id545743751

Third Reich "Rally of Victory" Nuremberg, 1933

:( German Horrors, 1933
hqdefault.jpg

Nazi leader Adolf Hitler appointed Chancellor of Germany
latest

The Gestapo is established

rally-at-the-koenigsplatz-in-munich-1933-CPM4RY.jpg

Rally at the Koenigsplatz in Munich, 1933

:mad: KZ-Gedenkstätte Dachau, München, 1933
220px-Camp_ArbeitMachtFrei.JPG

...(Munich or Berlin) in 1933 ...
I was told by another family member that she had to leave Germany quickly to avoid trouble in case it was assumed she was Jewish. My mother would never speak of it, so I don’t have confirmation or details. She would have been 21 at the time. Chilling, if true.

1933 Book Burnings — United States Holocaust Memorial Museum
;) I imagine "Chilling" is somewhat of an understatement.
It would have been utterly terrifying :(
The place would've been like living in HELL for her at that time!
poppies.gif

Many, many more horrors of 1933 German history...:confused:
1933 in Germany - Wikipedia

:( German Horrors, 1933
hqdefault.jpg

Nazi leader Adolf Hitler appointed Chancellor of Germany
latest

The Gestapo is established

rally-at-the-koenigsplatz-in-munich-1933-CPM4RY.jpg

Rally at the Koenigsplatz in Munich, 1933

:mad: KZ-Gedenkstätte Dachau, München, 1933
220px-Camp_ArbeitMachtFrei.JPG

;) I imagine "Chilling" is somewhat of an understatement.
It would have been utterly terrifying :(
The place would've been like living in HELL for her at that time!
poppies.gif

Many, many more horrors of 1933 German history...:confused:
1933 in Germany - Wikipedia

Yes, chilling was an understatement. I’m sure the terror of her situation is why she never spoke of it to me. She must have told my Dad, who told my step-mother, who told me after my Mom had died IIRC.

My husband and I visited the Holocaust Museum in DC last fall. A taste of horror and a reminder that it can happen again.

On that note, it’s probably tiara time.

...I have fantasies about spending days in the British Museum. I still vividly remember seeing the Rosetta Stone years ago. I was floored at seeing it
;)
The British Museum,
Great Russell Street,
London, WC1B 3DG
special_exhibitions_624.jpg
Admission and opening times
Free, open daily 10.00–17.30 (Fri-20.30)
The Museum is closed on 1 January and 24, 25 & 26 December, but open every other day of the year.
Find your way
Transport for London Journey Planner
Getting here

Gather up the baby teeth. You too can have a royal tiara
Well maybe a dinky one like this :D

Queen Victoria's Small Diamond Crown
KTZX5BDBVFFS7NFNBDSV27ULQE.jpg
The crown is packed with more than 1100 diamonds...:eek:
894441e95d4b90b407f39451217949d6

Caroline de Guitaut displays Queen Victoria's Small Diamond Crown
..but it's tiny, measuring about 10 centimeters (4") in diameter. The crown can be made even smaller by removing the arches.

2017-0305-crown3.png
Since 1937, the tiny crown has lived in the Tower of London, where it is on display with the Crown Jewels.

I guess it helps if you're also dinky & not quite 5' tall :D
(5' = 1.52m)
Sundays with Victoria: The Small Diamond Crown | The Court Jeweller

Good God....overcompensating a bit? GMAFB!

I don’t think it’s overcompensation. NYC is the center for dance in the USA.

To become a professional dancer is a lifetime pursuit, and discipline. For boys, there are tremendous psychological hurdles.

I thought the signs saying “I wish I had started at six” indicates just how difficult it is for boys to pursue this passion. And, they showed up for Prince George, and every little boy.

And why not have a dance class at Times Square? They do massive yoga classes.

It was a postitive message. One of encouragement. One that shines the light on those men and boys who are living it, and working it in a city where you have to be the best to make it.

I used to trek into NYC to the Saturday matinees of the NYCB, and ABT. The ballet was magical.

My hometown community like so many across the country stages the Nutcracker each year. This is the ballet that so many boys and girls want to be a part of, and is often their first introduction to classical music, and dance.

There are programs in cities that are bringing back social dancing, too. And kids love it. —Music, coordination, friendship, fun, and social skills.

I rather like that the GMA blunder has been redirected. It was a blunder. But a revealing one. I think Lara did good with her apology, and in her interviewing the three professional male dancers.

And I hope Kate and William know how strong our sentiment and support is for their little boy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisy24