The British Royal Family - news, views, clothes & shoes! #8

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope Harry has thought this through, hes tying himself even more to sustainable travel, if he continues to use private jets after this he'll come off as even more of a hypocrite

How did H&M's travel this summer help local economies, they went by private plane to private accommodation, we didn't hear of them eating in local restaurants or even sightseeing. How did they contribute in any way to the local economy?

Harry flew to the Netherlands on a commercial plane, which was at least his fifth flight in a month - although this one was the first of those not on a private jet.
Why on earth could he not video conference in? I do not understand why his physical presence was so necessary at this, its pure hypocrisy.

The duke added: 'I've always offset my CO2, I think part of the group discussion we had earlier was 'what is off-setting CO2?'
I thought Elton John offset his CO2 for the other trip.

We can all do better.
Thats the thing though, we can't all do better, Harry and his rich friends can do better. A single person flying transatlantic (commercial) London to NY will emit as much carbon as a family of 4 recycling for 8 years will save. The things we little people do for the environment are a drop in the bucket when you have someone like Elton John spending 10k a month on cut flowers for all of his houses.

Does Harry realise how snobby he comes off? He can do whatever he wants because he has the money to offset it (offsetting doesn't actually offset it in reality).
We have never heard of the RF having any trouble on commercial flights before.
I'm starting to believe that Harry is as dumb as hes portrayed on "the Windsors"

Last edited:
'I fly private jets to protect my family': Prince Harry says he spends '99% of his life travelling world by commercial' airline as he FINALLY addresses his globe-trotting habit - after preaching 'we can ALL do better' to help planet

Prince Harry preaches everyone 'can play their part' to help planet | Daily Mail Online

Harry flew to the Netherlands on a commercial plane, which was at least his fifth flight in a month - although this one was the first of those not on a private jet.

Harry also said that he balances out the impact he has on the environment and will continue to do so.

The duke added: 'I've always offset my CO2, I think part of the group discussion we had earlier was 'what is off-setting CO2?'

99%?

Instead of just saying you offset your co2 what does that mean, what did you do to offset co2? What empty words.

I gotta tell you harry, you are not special. Everyone wants to protect their family, but not everyone has friends that have private jets. Thank goodness we will never see the crown on your head.

I was watching a programme about climate change and they stated that carbon offsetting is misleading and pretty much ineffective in the short term. They said when you are flying in private plane (for example) the CO2 produced causes almost immediate damage to the ozone layer and carbon offsetting can take years to work to balance it out. The programme stated that by flying private you are emitting several more tons of co2 than flying commercial and it is pretty much the worst thing you can do if you care about the environment.

The Sussex’s should have just continued the work about land mines that Princess Diana was involved in, or water aid, or children with cleft palates or wildlife conservation, or sick children in Africa and they would not be in the PR situation they are in now.

I was watching a programme about climate change and they stated that carbon offsetting is misleading and pretty much ineffective in the short term. They said when you are flying in private plane (for example) the CO2 produced causes almost immediate damage to the ozone layer and carbon offsetting can take years to work to balance it out. The programme stated that by flying private you are emitting several more tons of co2 than flying commercial and it is pretty much the worst thing you can do if you care about the environment.

The Sussex’s should have just continued the work about land mines that Princess Diana was involved in, or water aid, or children with cleft palates or wildlife conservation, or sick children in Africa and they would not be in the PR situation they are in now.

Jmo He knows or is ignorant to the facts like a lot folks are about a lot of things. Just trying to create something to make more money. Get rid of nasty plastic bags and I’ll happy.

They aren’t visiting Southern Africa though which is a dangerous part of the continent.

There are dangerous parts of the continent. Somalia, Somaliland, especially. Most all the crime is local on local. The southern portion of Africa is not any more dangerous than other areas. The Republic of South Africa has dangerous parts, but much of this very beautiful country is quite safe. Likewise Namibia. Botswanna is also quite safe for sensible travelers.

And they will travel with a great security detail, so getting his wallet snatched off the street is hardly a concern.

I think your comment about "southern Africa" is not correct.

Last edited:
I hope Harry has thought this through, hes tying himself even more to sustainable travel, if he continues to use private jets after this he'll come off as even more of a hypocrite

How did H&M's travel this summer help local economies, they went by private plane to private accommodation, we didn't hear of them eating in local restaurants or even sightseeing. How did they contribute in any way to the local economy?

Why on earth could he not video conference in? I do not understand why his physical presence was so necessary at this, its pure hypocrisy.

I thought Elton John offset his CO2 for the other trip.

Thats the thing though, we can't all do better, Harry and his rich friends can do better. A single person flying transatlantic (commercial) London to NY will emit as much carbon as a family of 4 recycling for 8 years will save. The things we little people do for the environment are a drop in the bucket when you have someone like Elton John spending 10k a month on cut flowers for all of his houses.

Does Harry realise how snobby he comes off? He can do whatever he wants because he has the money to offset it (offsetting doesn't actually offset it in reality).
We have never heard of the RF having any trouble on commercial flights before.
I'm starting to believe that Harry is as dumb as hes portrayed on "the Windsors"

Hurrah, hurrah, hurrah for your post.

Harry is just rich-blind and it is apparent that in this world he is irrelevant.

He is just a marketing tool for this conglomerate of travel brokers. It's a freakin' marketing tool. He's being used as an advertising shill. The Sussex's expensive PR chief and new PR company is a fail. If you want to hear about sustainable travel, talk to the airline companies about being more fuel efficient, reducing plastic use and waste.

As stated: If he is so concerned why fly at all? Use video conferencing. And don't give us poor peasants the lip service of "I'm paying my carbon offsets." Which is another sham. Rich people pay money to company to plant trees which wont be effective for another 40 years.

You know who I admire? Bill and Melissa Gates. Richard Branson. They work very very hard to chose goals and charities and don't go out lecturing the common people on how to behave.

And how about the big secret Google Ultra-rich people's Eco-Fest? Harry flew on a private plane and was housed in ultra-luxury digs. Was this for the safety of his family?

Last edited:
Supposedly Harry has spent the last 3 years working on this and the is what he rolls out? Laughable. A commercial travel promotion.
These travel brokers that have banded together for this program all have a big problem.

They make money off by utilizing all these fossil-fuel consuming trips, and the links to accommodations, the links to travel clothing and gear.

It makes no difference if we took jet-fuel filled airlines, coal-driven locomotives, or coal-fired boats, or diesel-guzzling busses, or even electric cars ( as most elecricity is coal-plant provided).

Basically, we need to REDUCE our travel. REDUCE the number of commercial ( and private) flights. REDUCE driving. REDUCE the consumption of high-level foods such as beef, and unsustainable fish. REDUCE the purchase of new clothing, shoes, travel gear.

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYLE

...Basically, we need to REDUCE our travel. REDUCE the number of commercial ( and private) flights. REDUCE driving. REDUCE the consumption of high-level foods such as beef, and unsustainable fish. REDUCE the purchase of new clothing, shoes, travel gear.

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYLE

OT/Related:

Does this reusable bag make me look gay? Perhaps, study finds

“This isn’t just toxic masculinity, this is literally toxic," TV host Stephen Colbert said of the study's findings.

In a recent monologue, television host Stephen Colbert mocked heterosexual men and said a new study found some of them avoid environmentally friendly activities, like recycling, to avoid being perceived as gay.

“Really, men? Is there no limit to straight male fragility?,” he asked mockingly. “This isn’t just toxic masculinity, this is literally toxic.”...

The Duke of Sussex launches a Sustainable Travel initiative, two years in the planning, and addresses his recent controversial travel decisions.

The long-term initiative is focused on tackling the travel industry’s impact on climate change, improving wildlife conservation...

Travalyst is intended to capitalize on the strength and breadth of the global travel market, foster increased collaboration across the industry, and stimulate and support new solutions and initiatives in sustainable travel. The founding partners want to spark a movement of like-minded companies, organizations, NGOs, and changemakers to transform the future of travel into a more sustainable one...

The consortium aims to educate people about sustainable travel and make it easier for them to understand whether their own travels are helping or hurting the planet and who is benefiting from travel dollars.
- I'm really, really struggling to bite my tongue & be good here @Lilibet - :D

images
I'm non-the-wiser whatsoever to what specifically is 'THE PLAN' & HOW EXACTLY does it aim to achieve whatever it's aim is..:confused:

- Using the word 'Sustainable' excessively not really helping - :mad:
<which he's pinched from his Dad!>

'Sustainable Travel initiative' :cool:
'foster increased collaboration' ???
'stimulate and support new solutions and initiatives'???
'spark a movement of ..???

This just sounds like corporate-speil (or maybe a new Star Trek script)

;) Now I'm hoping it's 'Teleportation' or some type of worm-hole-quantum-leap technology ..
tenor.gif

Supposedly Harry has spent the last 3 years working on this and the is what he rolls out? Laughable. A commercial travel promotion.
These travel brokers that have banded together for this program all have a big problem.

They make money off by utilizing all these fossil-fuel consuming trips, and the links to accommodations, the links to travel clothing and gear.

It makes no difference if we took jet-fuel filled airlines, coal-driven locomotives, or coal-fired boats, or diesel-guzzling busses, or even electric cars ( as most elecricity is coal-plant provided).

Basically, we need to REDUCE our travel. REDUCE the number of commercial ( and private) flights. REDUCE driving. REDUCE the consumption of high-level foods such as beef, and unsustainable fish. REDUCE the purchase of new clothing, shoes, travel gear.

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYLE

This really lays it out well, Herat.

Conservation, recycling, using power of choice as a consumer, buy local, reuse, is all a part of a mindset. I remember how ahead of the curve they were in New England with recycling programs... like 20 years ahead.

Oh, they got branded as earthy crunchy, tree huggers, etc., but it does become a lifestyle. And it’s not that easy because you have to retrain your thinking... it took me over a year to get the permanent shopping bags to sink in... first I got the bags... then, they started to make it to the car... then they started making it all the way into the supermarket with me. Yay! Success!!

Even simple slogans such as Keep America Beautiful back in the 60’s, I think, went a long way to raise consciousness. The world is not our garbage can. And not as much got tossed out of people’s car windows, though it’s still a long way from perfect...

This whole thing with CO2 repay is not really flying, (pardon the pun!) even with the environmentally conscious peeps... I mean where is this tree being planted? Are these organizations legit? Does Harry know exactly where his CO2 credits are being planted? And does Harry know how cynical many of us are because we’ve seen this or that rock star celebrity type do these altruistic aid concerts, or rebuilds after disasters, gain very high profiles, and then the projects fall off the maps...

The sustainable foundations like the Bill and Melinda Foundation was set up quietly, no fanfare, with very specific goals and has been very successful.

When I think of conservation I think of Prince Charles. Not Harry.

The platitudes on Sussex instagram feel a bit passive aggressive, preachy, and young... teenagers, and young twenty somethings do this... well, maybe that’s their target audience, I don’t know. But these things do not really give a sense of who M&H are... it’s detached. Good work happens through good deeds and good ethics... it’s not something that can really be preached because its power is something you build. And, they just haven’t built it, yet...

A commercial travel promotion.
Thats one of my main problems, the commercial aspect, these companies are never going to act against their own self interest and promote reducing the amount of air travel

Harry has been working on this initiative for 3 years, that makes it worse, I would expect someone just learning about something like climate change to make faux pas like he has but not someone 3 years in to a project about sustainability. It won't do much IMHO, he should look at what Greta Thunberg has been able to achieve in Sweden without the status of a royal The Greta effect her actions haven't been perfect or free from criticism (especially about the carbon neutralness of the trip to the US) but shes actually putting her money where her mouth is and not flying.

If Harry had been working for 3 years to get the UK's biggest companies to commit to using teleconferencing and reducing executive travel then I would be impressed rather than this commercial word salad.

I mean where is this tree being planted? Are these organizations legit?
You might find this article interesting about "the coldplay conundrum"
Chris Martin was one of the early adopters of carbon offsets, in order to offset using a private jet on one of his world tours, he paid for 10,000 mango trees to be planted and fans could donate to have even more trees planted unfortunately a few years later 40% of the trees had died and had to be cut down and destroyed which caused more carbon emissions than were saved

- I'm really, really struggling to bite my tongue & be good here @Lilibet - :D

images
I'm non-the-wiser whatsoever to what specifically is 'THE PLAN' & HOW EXACTLY does it aim to achieve whatever it's aim is..:confused:

- Using the word 'Sustainable' excessively not really helping - :mad:
<which he's pinched from his Dad!>

'Sustainable Travel initiative' :cool:
'foster increased collaboration' ???
'stimulate and support new solutions and initiatives'???
'spark a movement of ..???

This just sounds like corporate-speil (or maybe a new Star Trek script)

;) Now I'm hoping it's 'Teleportation' or some type of worm-hole-quantum-leap technology ..
tenor.gif
It truly is corporate-speil

He’s hooked into a commercial travel brokerage system.

Look: There are company CEO’s with vague glossy promises and no methodology, SELLING travel.

Do you see any climate change scientists? Any pioneers of the airline industries? Any carbon experts?

Nope

He just became a corporate shill.

Brighton Council will discuss STRIPPING Prince Harry and Meghan Markle of their Sussex titles after hundreds sign petition saying names are 'morally wrong and disrespectful' to the county

Council will discuss stripping Harry and Meghan of their Sussex titles | Daily Mail Online

It appears that this petition is more about royal titles in general than about Harry and Meghan personally. The point the petitioner is making seems to be about any member of the RF with a title. He has a point IMO. They are just people. Of course, I’m not used to inherited or given titles here in the U.S.

Quoting from the article:

The petition is trying to get the council to agree that all royal titles should not be used in its documents and proceedings because they are 'entirely non democratic and symbolic of the oppression of the general public by the wealthy elite'.

Neither will Brighton Council invite or entertain these individuals nor afford them any hospitality or courtesies above and beyond that of an ordinary member of the public.'

Mr Ross added that the petition 'aims to establish a precedent that Brighton and Hove Council will no longer afford official hospitality to those with royal or aristocratic titles nor make usage of those titles in official documents as these titles are arbitrarily and unfairly acquired'

Council will discuss stripping Harry and Meghan of their Sussex titles | Daily Mail Online

You might find this article interesting about "the coldplay conundrum"
Chris Martin was one of the early adopters of carbon offsets, in order to offset using a private jet on one of his world tours, he paid for 10,000 mango trees to be planted and fans could donate to have even more trees planted unfortunately a few years later 40% of the trees had died and had to be cut down and destroyed which caused more carbon emissions than were saved

So often I’ve noticed that even the most well-intentioned efforts to solve earth’s difficult problems end up backfiring in some way and/or creating problems no one anticipated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GonzoToxic