The Crown v Gerard Baden-Clay, 9th July - Trial Day 17

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
David Murray ‏@TheMurrayD 30s
The prosecution contends the accused lied on oath, in evidence and speaking to police, about the injuries on his face

Francene Norton ‏@francenenorton 1m
Justice John Byrne turns his attention to "lies".

Justice Byrne says the pros contends #badenclay lied in the witness box and lied to police.

Byrne: a statement by an accused person that is shown to be false may, in some circumstances, go indirectly to prove something.

Tessa Scott ‏@TessaScott9 1m

Justice Byrne: the Prosecution contends #badenclay lied under oath and to police about marks on face. @9NewsBrisbane

Tessa Scott ‏@TessaScott9 45s

Justice Byrne tells jury that it wrong to assume that just because he has lied, that is evidence of guilt. @9NewsBrisbane #badenclay

Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · 27s

Judge says it would be wrong to approach the case that if Gerard lied, it must mean he killed his wife. #badenclay

Judge says it must be a lie "that an innocent person would not tell" to find him guilty. #badenclay

Judge says for the prosecution to prove he lied about the cuts, they have to have proved they were not caused by a razor. #badenclay

Byrne: a statement by an accused person that is shown to be false may, in some circumstances, go indirectly to prove something.

Byrne: it would be wrong to approach the case on the basis that, if the Accused told lies, he must have killed his wife.

Byrne: Bear in mind this warning: do not follow a process of reasoning to the effect that just because the Accused has lied 1/2

Byrne: that is evidence of guilt. 2/2

Francene Norton ‏@francenenorton 53s
Byrne: To est. that the accused lied about those facial injuries, the pros must first est. they were not caused by his razor.

I have had several (too many for my heart!) occasions when one of my four teenaged/adult children have gone "missing" - not arrived home from an event, or left home before I was awake without telling me they were going somewhere. Never, ever, did I call the police ..... and would never have thought of doing so until I had covered every avenue (contacting friends, acquaintances .... over many, many hours). GBC phoning the police at such an early time in her absence just screamed WEIRD to me (as it obviously did to police). Hello? I have since listened to his OOO call to police: weirder then weird! No wonder the police attended so promptly! I will hold my hand up and say I thought he had killed her from the moment he appeared on TV, after her disappearance, and showed no real anxiety - in words or demeanour - for his "missing" wife. Juxtapose the Dickie's appearance at the same time. The Dickie's feared/knew, that something terrible might have happened to their daughter.

Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · 28s

Judge says people do not always act rationally and telling a lie might be explained some other way. #badenclay

Judge says both murder and manslaughter involve unlawful killing. #badenclay

Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · 27s

Judge says it would be wrong to approach the case that if Gerard lied, it must mean he killed his wife. #badenclay
re

Judge says it must be a lie "that an innocent person would not tell" to find him guilty. #badenclay

GBC must be starting to feel as if there have been two prosecution's closing statements by now. The directions by the judge are very clear and simple to understand. It will remove a lot of ambiguity for the jury.

Sarah Elks ‏@sarahelks 20s

We're taking a brief break, for the #badenclay jury.

Tessa Scott ‏@TessaScott9 43s

Justice Byrne is now talking about murder and manslaughter again. @9NewsBrisbane #badenclay

Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · now

Judge says to convict on murder, they must be sure he intended to kill, even if they believe he lied about scratches. #badenclay

We're having a short break. #badenclay

Byrne: If you conclude that the accused lied because he realised that the truth would implicate him in killing his wife... 1/2

Francene Norton ‏@francenenorton 48s
Byrne: you'd need carefully also to consider whether the lie reveals a consciousness of guilt merely with respect to mans... 2/3

Byrne: ... as distinct from also revealing an intention to kill or to cause GBH. 3/3

David Murray ‏@TheMurrayD 1m
A brief break

I wish I got as many breaks in my job!!! We think we are lucky if we get 1 break in 5 shifts :floorlaugh:

Kate Kyriacou @KateKyriacou · 28s

Judge says Gerard told police his wife had had a list of questions for him she'd asked the previous night. (April 19). #badenclay

Judge says Gerard told police his financial situation was "pretty dire". #badenclay

Judge is now discussing the interview Gerard did with police on April 21. #badenclay

In GBC's defence, April 18th was 'last night' on the 20th, as I doubt he got a wink of sleep :facepalm:

Hi friends, just checking in here - going back to start at the beginning of the day. *Deep breath* annnnnnd......GO!

I don't think there was anything irrational about Gerard's relentless lying.. it had purpose, it achieved the effect required, it was carefully done, it wasn't impulsive lying.. or compulsive.. every lie was firmly attached to a particular outcome.. repeating the lie was necessary to maintain the façade, and all had the same pattern, and at the base of it, the same intended outcome. To appear better than he was , in all and ever circumstance.. whether it was money, women, business, probably Rotary, Scouts, what he had for breakfast.. all had the same intent.

Hi friends, just checking in here - going back to start at the beginning of the day. *Deep breath* annnnnnd......GO!

Goodluck.......not as many pages as the last few days :floorlaugh:

Sarah Elks ‏@sarahelks 4m

Justice Byrne has explained the intricacies of how to treat testimony from #badenclay it considers lies.

Sarah Elks ‏@sarahelks 3m

The prosecution alleges #badenclay lied about his facial injuries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member