The Duggar Family: 18 Kids & Counting

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
17 kids!!! I'd be in a loony bin. It's tough enough raising two and giving them the time and emotional support they need. It would be very interesting what these kids do with their lives. I'm not bashing them...but I think that's an excessive amount of children to produce.

I have watched the specials too and I think their children will become wonderful people. Everyone has their own style, I think it is great how they work together. My grandmother had 14 kids in Mexico and could hardly feed them, now that is ridiculous. They can afford them obviously and they are very well adjusted. They are better parents to these 17 then some people are to one child. I don't think people should judge them because they are not like the standard family of 2 or 3 children.

I went to high school with a couple who ended up having 13 children. They were wonderful Christians who did believe in birth control, btw, and had the most well-behaved, selfless kids you'd ever want to meet. They never relied on welfare, children got jobs while they were in high school to earn pocket money and help pay for college, and they were very active in their church with the children helping out in several areas. None of the children felt deprived of possessions or their parents' attention.
And it is almost insulting to see people fault a family like this. I have seen many large families, within my own family, and they do fine. The mother is always a stay-at-home mom, and the elder children learn how to run a household.. how to garden, etc, as they help out. My mother was the second oldest of 16 children. She helped to raise the younger ones.. she helped with all of the chores. She has never regretted her childhood, and the work ethic she learned from it. She never felt unloved.

17 kids!!! I'd be in a loony bin. It's tough enough raising two and giving them the time and emotional support they need. It would be very interesting what these kids do with their lives. I'm not bashing them...but I think that's an excessive amount of children to produce.
But if you go into a relationship with that being a posibility.. you just plan for it. Many of my neighbors and relatives are Amish.. and they have it down to a science. They produce great responsible kids.. great adults. It does not seem excessive to them. Of course folks can point out exceptions to the rule, in the Amish/Mennonite community, but really, they are not all that common.

More power to them. If mommy is committed to staying at home, as a mom, and is able to run things like the Duggan family does, then good for her!

But if you go into a relationship with that being a posibility.. you just plan for it. Many of my neighbors and relatives are Amish.. and they have it down to a science. They produce great responsible kids.. great adults. It does not seem excessive to them. Of course folks can point out exceptions to the rule, in the Amish/Mennonite community, but really, they are not all that common.

More power to them. If mommy is committed to staying at home, as a mom, and is able to run things like the Duggan family does, then good for her!
No way would I WANT to be preggers 17 times. Goodness...if a man told me he wanted 17 kids...run Sadiemae, Run!!!!! I love children and if both parents are committed to them, there's nothing wrong with it. My parents were from families of 8 and 9 kids.
I'm happy for them that all the children are healthy and seem happy.

No way would I WANT to be preggers 17 times. Goodness...if a man told me he wanted 17 kids...run Sadiemae, Run!!!!! I love children and if both parents are committed to them, there's nothing wrong with it. My parents were from families of 8 and 9 kids.
I'm happy for them that all the children are healthy and seem happy.
Well.. me too. ha! But I think if a family is committed to a large family... it is a lifestyle. When you get to 8 kids, or so... one more really doesnt make that much of a difference. And you have the older kids to help with the younger. It really does work well, in an organized household. The kids do not suffer, and probably learn responsibility better than most kids.

The Duggars are not saying they are more wonderful than anyone. It's not about bragging rights or gloating.

Yes, children are a blessing, but they are a task. A task they felt G-d gave them, not man. To deny a child's birth is an abomination to them. They truly don't care what men think of them. They do this to please G-d.

There is a huge movement called Quiverful. Based on one line in the Bible.

Lo, children are an heritage of the Lord: and the fruit of the womb is his reward. Psalm 127:3

That's what this is about. And if they feel that their rewards are directly because they live a G-d driven life, who's to say it isn't? It's a personal choice that they take responsibility for. Monies, physical, emotional etc. They thought it all through.

She's got me beat by 10 now. I've taken some things she's done and added them into our routine. I'm always looking for ways to organize.

And quite frankly, mothers of many really shouldn't be out of the home imho. I understand the concept of having to work...that's not what I'm speaking of. Those of us who choose to have many don't do it blindly. You can't have many and pay out the nose for daycare etc. It just doesn't work. You save no money at all by going to work. You'd pay nothing but daycare fees.

PSUfan, I grew up around Quakers and they are very like the Amish in that they live a simpler life and everyone pitches in. It was always a refreshing way to see the world through their eyes. I also tend to gather around my more conservative Jewish friends for the same reason.

Her clothing is modest and many of us dress that way.

I'm certainly not saying that if you are not religious that you can't raise good children, nor am I saying that if you don't follow every law laid out in a religious book that you are not a good parent. I'm only saying what they believe. Which as far as I know, is their right to choose.

I come from a family of 13 children (11 boys two girls) and my parents were wonderful. There is routine that comes with thsi many kids and you learn to take your personal time with your parents when you can get it. But I would never take it back the close reationships I have with my siblings is special and I would do anything for them. Being from a large family I never felt neglected or like my parents did not spend enough time with me. It was a blessing and though I would never be able to manage a large family like this one. I am so proud of my parents for raising all of us to be thoughtful, moral, human beings and hope that I manage to instill those values in my own children.

I still think they're nuts. I had 2 and during my younger years baby sat 3 more. Trust me that was enough. ;)
I watch their show ever so often and am wondering if this newest addition isn't the same little one that was born before they moved into their new house. Obviously the dad thinks mama's uterus is made for carrying babies. When they move into the new house and see their new bedroom, with a nursery in it for one of the babies, the dad laughs and says they may try for another.

Have they ever explained why they wanted/had so many children?

... Having to share the freaking air in close quarters does not make a child more appreciative of anything. They have too many children. PEROID.

bwahaaaaaaaa that made me laugh out loud. Tell it like it is deandaniellws!

I still think they're nuts. I had 2 and during my younger years baby sat 3 more. Trust me that was enough. ;)
I watch their show ever so often and am wondering if this newest addition isn't the same little one that was born before they moved into their new house. Obviously the dad thinks mama's uterus is made for carrying babies. When they move into the new house and see their new bedroom, with a nursery in it for one of the babies, the dad laughs and says they may try for another.

Have they ever explained why they wanted/had so many children?

This is a NEW baby, the 17th (they have some twins in their brood too) - Johanna was the girl born about the time they moved into the BIG new house they built themselves - she is now almost 2. This one was born today at 10AM - Jennifer is this baby's name.

The Duggars do not use BC and feel that having as many kids as they are allowed is part of their faith. Michelle has been pregnant almost 11 years of her life so far. And they are NOT DONE - they will continue to have kids as long as possible. Their oldest is 19 and they home-school. Their new house is 7000 square feet and has a commercial kitchen and laundry room. The father has been involved in state politics - they are very very religious but it is kinda their own fundamentalist church - services held in people's homes. They dress modestly - no pants on the girls, long hair on the girls - Mom wears make-up but not much. There is no "dating" for the kids per se, the oldest boy (19) sees girls only at church and other religious gatherings and the children all aspire to be like their parents - Mom at home having children, Father working.

They do TV Specials on Discovery Health - here is their web site
http://www.duggarfamily.com/

I do not agree with their faith OR having 17 kids but they have a lovely family and very well behaved children - wish some people with only 2 kids and LOT more money and time had such nice, well behaved, polite children. Michelle (Mom) is NOT like Andrea Yates - this was more her idea than his in the beginning and she has nothing but joy with each new baby. She is NOT being forced or coerced into having kids by Jim Bob (Dad). And they DO support themselves fully and the kids even each play a musical instrument and have many chores at home. They use a school bus for a family car. Not my thing but the world has all sorts of people and many ideas - not my place to judge so long as they are self reliant and parent well, they can have 10 more if they want.

My Opinion

I'll bet that this couple wouldn't have had so many kids if several of the first ones turned out to have ADD or disabilities, but I'm glad they're well behaved and happy. The only danger I can see of having that many kids is if the wife might be widowed and have to raise them all alone, before the reality show of course. Now she would probably have enough money.

They are so blessed and all the kids are just beautiful. Wow.
--agree--The kids are great and so are the parents--We've watched all their specials and hope they make another one--The cutest moment was when Mom is at the piano and all 16 kids are playing their little violins--priceless

Did ya'll the stats about her being pregnant? She's been pregnant for over 10 years!!!!!

This was not unusual at all 100 years ago. I would think it was bad if the children were neglected and starved but they can well afford them and they love them.

When I first saw this show I was hit with many emotions. I felt concern at what I percieved to be irresponsibility by having such a large family. I felt awe at the love and strentgh this family seems to have. I felt grave concern at the dynamics of the family which seemed unhealthy to me. The children had a robotic air about them and they seemed extremly isolated from the rest of the world. One of the strongest feelings I had was dissapontment. If a couple has the desire and means to raise so many children why not adopt the so many needy children so in need of families.? I know it is a very personal decision and lifestyle choice to open up your home to a child in need and with special needs but if you are blessed enough to be able to care for so many children why not help those allready so in need.

mjak

I think they are wonderful, but I always have to play devil's advocate a little and I do wonder if the idea of the media attention (and probably, money from the media for doing the shows and photo ops) they get for having so many children hasn't spurred them on to have more, more than the idea of no birth control and having as many as God wants them to have. I hope I'm not right about that b/c I do admire them. Some days I can barely handle three kids, and this woman homeschools all of hers, too. She has amazing patience. I wish them health and happiness and blessings b/c they really are an inspiration for me to be a better mom to my three.

Congrats to them on the birth of little Jennifer!

I think they are wonderful, but I always have to play devil's advocate a little and I do wonder if the idea of the media attention (and probably, money from the media for doing the shows and photo ops) they get for having so many children hasn't spurred them on to have more, more than the idea of no birth control and having as many as God wants them to have. I hope I'm not right about that b/c I do admire them. Some days I can barely handle three kids, and this woman homeschools all of hers, too. She has amazing patience. I wish them health and happiness and blessings b/c they really are an inspiration for me to be a better mom to my three.

Congrats to them on the birth of little Jennifer!

I believe God gives us tools but he also gives us guidance on how to use those tools. For example if we have working hands we can shoot a gun but many people don't shoot guns thankfully. Just because we can have or do something dose not mean we should.

mjak

My ex came from a family of 16 plus his Mom had 2 still born. I thought they were insane having that many kids. Today 15 are living.....they always laughed & said they never called themselves a family they called themselves a tribe.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
missingjustice89
Back