The Fall Of Kabul To The Taliban

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Very little discussion in this thread which I'm surprised about. But imo it's so complex it's hard to talk about. But I would welcome people's opinion.
It's just tragic. Had progress been made in Afghanistan and now that just disappears? That's so sad.
I know very little about this whole situation but the thing that has surprised me is it seems we are talking about politics and not terrorists. I think i thought the taliban were a terrorist organisation but it seems like a political party now....
Can anyone shed any light,in understandable terms, its really hard to grasp what is going on apart from its awful.

I found this interview was to be both thought provoking, and informative.

The Resistance claims some victories. A prior article I posted referred to CIA operations on the ground, so maybe (I hope) we are helping them out.

Anti-Taliban forces say they've taken three districts in Afghanistan's north

Former Vice President Amrullah Saleh and Ahmad Massoud, son of former anti-Soviet Mujahideen commander Ahmad Shah Massoud, have vowed to resist the Taliban from Panjshir, which repelled both Soviet forces and the Taliban in the 1980s and 1990s.

People close to Massoud say that more than 6,000 fighters, made up of remnants of army and Special Forces units as well as local militia groups, have gathered in the valley. They say they have some helicopters and military vehicles and have repaired some of the armoured vehicles left behind by the Soviets.

I found this interview was to be both thought provoking, and informative.

No offense but it sounds like they're making a lot of excuses, blaming the last two US presidents. If Congress approved a plan for us to get out of Afghanistan several years ago, why were we still there for so long? We certainly could have saved a whole lot of money if we'd left then, even more if we hadn't invaded at all.

We waged war inside thst country for nearly 20 years. That's crazy, IMO. Never should have happened and we shouldn't be surprised that the natives of that country are happy to see us go. We killed millions of their citizens.

Where are all of America's social influencers?
I'd think that they would be up in arms about women and children being beaten.
Heck, if a man in America were to swat a womans butt, he would be fair fodder for having his entire life disgraced and canceled.
Yet, there is zero, zip condemnation coming out of Hollywood, or the very well paid social influencers.
Why is that?
Truth be told, I don't read too many gossip rags, other then the Daily Mail.
However, I see and hear nothing about this.
<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Very little discussion in this thread which I'm surprised about. But imo it's so complex it's hard to talk about. But I would welcome people's opinion.
It's just tragic. Had progress been made in Afghanistan and now that just disappears? That's so sad.
I know very little about this whole situation but the thing that has surprised me is it seems we are talking about politics and not terrorists. I think i thought the taliban were a terrorist organisation but it seems like a political party now....
Can anyone shed any light,in understandable terms, its really hard to grasp what is going on apart from its awful.

The Taliban are terrorists not politicians. They are currently beating and killing people. Kidnapping young girls to be sex slaves for Tali soldiers. Their crimes are endless. They are evil.

Who are the Taliban?

No offense but it sounds like they're making a lot of excuses, blaming the last two US presidents. If Congress approved a plan for us to get out of Afghanistan several years ago, why were we still there for so long? We certainly could have saved a whole lot of money if we'd left then, even more if we hadn't invaded at all.

We waged war inside thst country for nearly 20 years. That's crazy, IMO. Never should have happened and we shouldn't be surprised that the natives of that country are happy to see us go. We killed millions of their citizens.

We didn't kill millions. It was something like 150k. Still a high number though.

Death toll rises in Kabul airport chaos: MoD confirms SEVEN Afghans have died in stampede | Daily Mail Online

Seven Afghan civilians have been killed in the crowds at Kabul airport trying to escape the Taliban, the British Ministry of Defence has announced - as Ben Wallace warned that Afghans fleeing to Britain will have to make their own way to the borders if the US does not delay withdrawal.

In a statement, the MoD said: 'Our sincere thoughts are with the families of the seven Afghan civilians who have sadly died in crowds in Kabul. Conditions on the ground remain extremely challenging but we are doing everything we can to manage the situation as safely and securely as possible.'

The situation around Kabul airport has taken a turn for the worse, with the Independent reporting that four Afghan women were crushed to death on Saturday - and perhaps as many as 12 killed in total - as they sought to access the airfield where military repatriation flights are leaving from.

Afghanistan's Hamid Karzai International Airport in Kabul has been the focal point for thousands trying to flee the Taliban, who seized power after sweeping into the capital a week ago following their astonishing lightning advance across the Middle Eastern country.

My son, who was in Bagram for many moons told me he believed the Afghan helpers hated Americans and he thought many of them to have been spies. This comes from a man who helped, along with others, to save several Afghani lives, from a guy who loves and gets along with everyone in many countries. Of course, one size does not fit all, never did, never will.

I agree and that's why my sympathy and companion goes to this girl, not the men of Afghanistan.

Young Girl Begs Us Troops To Let Her Enter Kabul Airport To Flee - she says the Taliban will kill her - "Help, help... Taliban coming for me!"

posted - Aug 20, 2021

Pentagon says troops WILL leave Kabul airport to rescue Americans in Afghan city if necessary | Daily Mail Online

Last edited:
Taliban seizing Afghan-American’s US passports outside airport
From article:
KABUL, Afghanistan — Scenes of chaos and calamity continue to unfold in and around Hamid Karzai International Airport in Kabul, as thousands of embattled Afghans purport to push through Taliban barricades and escape the country before the Taliban takes full power.

In the latest blow to those running up against the clock, Afghan-Americans on Thursday said that Taliban fighters are now attempting to take their U.S. passports and identification orders in an attempt to stop them from leaving the country.

“I got to the gates and was about to show my passport, but the Taliban got it, and he said you are not allowed to go through and wouldn’t give it back,” one Afghan-American, who served for several years as an interpreter during the war and has his home in the U.S but requested anonymity for safety reasons, said. “I was lucky a U.S. marine was right there and forced him to give it back.”

Fatal stampede outside Kabul airport takes place as people attempt to flee

Clipped From article:
The New York Times reported that a 2-year old girl was trampled to death outside of the airport in a stampede around 2 p.m. on Saturday morning when the crowd surged toward the gates.

“My heart is bleeding,” the girl’s mother, a former employee of a US. organization in Kabul, told the Times. “It was like drowning and trying to hold your baby above the water.”

The US Embassy said on Saturday that American citizens in Afghanistan should stay away from Kabul’s airport, the only way out, “because of potential security threats outside the gates.”

The advisory directly contradicted President Biden’s insistence on Friday that Americans could proceed to the airport freely.

At least a dozen people have been killed at the Kabul airport mayhem, with disturbing scenes of people falling to their deaths while clinging onto outbound US military planes last week.

rbbm.
Austin seeks 'creative' ways to get Americans out of Kabul
''WASHINGTON
The U.S. military is considering “creative ways” to get Americans and others into the Kabul airport for evacuation from Afghanistan amid a range of security threats, Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin said, and the Pentagon on Sunday ordered six U.S. commercial airlines to help move evacuees from temporary sites outside of Afghanistan.''

''In an attempt to alleviate that, and to free up military aircraft for missions from Kabul, the Pentagon on Sunday activated the Civil Reserve Air Fleet. The Defense Department said 18 aircraft from six commercial airlines will be directed to ferry evacuees from interim waystations. The airlines will not fly into Afghanistan.

According to the Pentagon, the activation involves three aircraft each from American Airlines, Atlas Air, Delta Air Lines and Omni Air; two from Hawaiian Airlines; and four from United Airlines.

It is the first time the civil airline reserve system has been activated since 2003,
when it was used for the Iraq War. The commercial airliners will retain their civilian status but the flights will be controlled by the military's Air Mobility Command.''

A very informative article from NPR, discussing some failures of the Afghanistan Army.
BBM

The Afghan Army Collapsed In Days. Here Are The Reasons Why

"As the Taliban advanced throughout the country during those final weeks, the commandos faced a chilling reality. One commando from the south told us that no one in his unit wanted to surrender. They were there to fight the Taliban. But the Kabul government ordered them to lay down their arms."
"Once all the commando units throughout the country broke down, the Kabul unit was the last one standing. "We didn't fight because the government didn't say you have to fight it," the Kabul commando said. "The Ministry of Defense didn't say you have to fight." It's a political decision, he added — it's not about the willingness to fight."

Biden's aides 'too afraid' to quiz him over key decisions made in run-up to US Afghan withdrawal | Daily Mail Online

Biden's aides were 'too afraid' to quiz him and his National Security Adviser over key decisions made in the run-up to the US withdrawal from Afghanistan, according to sources close to the US administration.

The President is accused of insisting on recalling US troops ahead of the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks on New York and Washington DC, and allegedly ignored warnings that it would not leave the military enough time to get American nationals and allies out.

A former defence official in regular contact with senior White House aides suggested that there was not much pushback from concerned administration staffers because they were 'too afraid' of challenging Mr Biden and his National Security Adviser, Jake Sullivan.

The Sunday Telegraph reports that Biden administration officials urged the President - unsuccessfully - to keep open Bagram Air Base, which has more runways than Kabul airport and has been the heart of US operations in Afghanistan during the 20-year intervention.

The official claimed that the Biden administration functions 'like an autocracy' and stifles internal dissent, adding: 'It's one thing to crack down on leaks, it's another thing to allow a mistake like this.

White House Says 7,800 Evacuated From Kabul In 24 Hours – But ISIS Threat To Airport Is ‘Real’ And ‘Acute’
Aug 22, 2021,11:27am EDT rbbm.
Andrew Solender
''The White House said Sunday 7,800 people were evacuated from Afghanistan in the last 24 hours, but warned that reported threats by the Islamic State to the Hamid Karzai Airport, the staging ground for flights out of the country, are “real” and “acute.”

''Sullivan said the administration is focused on the ISIS threat with “every tool in our arsenal,” adding that commanders on the ground have a “wide variety of capabilities” to defend the airport and U.S. intelligence is working to “isolate” the threats.''
''Biden said in a speech last week the U.S. is “keeping a close watch” on ISIS affiliates in Afghanistan who were released from prisons. The Taliban and ISIS-K are fierce opponents.''

Imo, they should leave the girls alone and have a fashion face-off instead!, imo.

How ISIS differentiates between ranks with various outfits like the 'Afghani robe' | Daily Mail Online
''From suicide bombers and executioners to weapons experts and religious police, the Islamic State uses a complex network of militants to wage its terror war in the Middle East.

To differentiate the various roles within its hierarchy, it has, perhaps more than other military organisation, sought to assign corresponding uniforms for each unit.

These, say anti-ISIS activists who live in the shadows in the terror group's de facto capital Raqqa in Syria, can be broken down into several categories, each as sinister as the next.''

2CE69A8100000578-3253113-image-a-3_1443535481103.jpg

''The first, and perhaps the most common, is known as the 'Afghani robe' – a camouflage green outfit worn by fighters on the frontline or while manning checkpoints.''
"According to activists Raqqa Is Being Slaughtered Silently (RIBSS), it is also worn by the 'princes of ISIS' – or senior figures – in battle and for those conducting reconnaissance missions.''

''A sandy-coloured desert camouflage version, meanwhile, is assigned to the terrifying special units responsible for the group's barbaric executions.
This is often accompanied by a beige ammunition belt and black balaclava.''

''One of the most distinctive uniforms – the all-black jacket and trousers with balaclava and black ammunition belt – is assigned to the suicide bombers.''

''A similar all-black outfit, with a black sweater and usually without the ammunition belt, is worn by fanatics during parades, as seen when they captured the Syrian city of Raqqa last year and several other town and villages since.''

Kabul's style-conscious are replaced with shalwar kameez - but Taliban hold onto designer items | Daily Mail Online
Aug 2021
''Photographs taken in Kabul in recent days show Taliban fighters wearing aviator sunglasses, baseball caps and merchandise adorned with the Taliban flag. Some are even clean-shaven, abandoning the beard that is required under strict Islamic law.''
46815297-9904397-Defiant_social_media_users_have_mocked_the_Taliban_for_looking_l-m-4_1629291130526.jpg

''Young Taliban fighters have been called out for their hypocrisy as they parade through the streets in sunglasses, trendy trainers and baseball caps while cracking down on western dress.''

Last edited:
Afghan crisis: Russia plans for new era with Taliban rule
When US and European governments raced to get their citizens and Afghan colleagues out of Kabul this week, Russia was one of very few countries not visibly alarmed by the Taliban takeover.

Russian diplomats described the new men in town as "normal guys" and argued that the capital was safer now than before. President Vladimir Putin said on Friday that the Taliban's takeover was a reality they had to work with.

It is all a far cry from the disastrous nine-year war in Afghanistan that many Russians remember from propping up Kabul's communist government in the 1980s.

Enjoyed this inside look around.

''Billion Dollar Base: Dismantling Camp Bastion tells the story of the team dismantling the British Army base in Afghanistan. For eight years it’s been the powerhouse of UK and US military operations. Now Britain’s biggest overseas base since World War II is closing down for good. This documentary was given exclusive access to the men and women whose job it was to pack up this giant jigsaw puzzle, ending one of the longest wars in British history. A town bigger than many in Britain, with a massive infrastructure – airport, hospital, fast food restaurants – is being dismantled bolt by bolt and sent back to the UK. What is left will be handed over to the Afghans. But with defences and manpower depleting daily, in the face of a constant threat from the Taliban, it’s a dangerous race against time to close this city in the sand.''

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member