The Fall Of Kabul To The Taliban

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another update from Sky News

Intrigued that the Taliban (atm) are working in cooperation with the Uk troops keeping the crowds calm and quiet, as they try and sort out who can and cannot be processed.
If i may- another wacky idea to help with crowd control- seeing the big blank white walls in the posted ^ video, wondered if they could project peaceful images and important instructions in various languages, gee even throw on a (culturally appropriate) cartoon for the kids. imo.

Intrigued that the Taliban (atm) are working in cooperation with the Uk troops keeping the crowds calm and quiet, as they try and sort out who can and cannot be processed.
If i may- another wacky idea to help with crowd control- seeing the big blank white walls in the posted ^ video, wondered if they could project peaceful images and important instructions in various languages, gee even throw on a (culturally appropriate) cartoon for the kids. imo.
That's a really nice idea :) I wish they would.

A pretty disturbing read from NBC news via twitter.

https://twitter.com/Abs_NBC/status/1429526223605088259

EXCLUSIVE: Local U.S. Embassy Kabul staff is losing faith in evacuation efforts, per cable obtained by
@NBCNews
. “It would be better to die under the Taliban’s bullet” than face the crowds again, said one.“Happy to die here, but with dignity and pride,” another said.
Quote Tweet
DXHbTEJG_mini.jpg

NBC News
@NBCNews
· 1h
Local staff at the US Embassy in Kabul are "deeply disheartened" by US evacuation efforts and express a sense of betrayal and distrust in the American government, according to a State Dept. diplomatic cable obtained by @NBCNews. Afghan staff at U.S. Embassy losing faith, diplomatic cable says

No offense but it sounds like they're making a lot of excuses, blaming the last two US presidents. If Congress approved a plan for us to get out of Afghanistan several years ago, why were we still there for so long? We certainly could have saved a whole lot of money if we'd left then, even more if we hadn't invaded at all.

We waged war inside thst country for nearly 20 years. That's crazy, IMO. Never should have happened and we shouldn't be surprised that the natives of that country are happy to see us go. We killed millions of their citizens.

You speak the truth!!!!

Boris Johnson will use G7 to persuade Joe Biden to keep US troops in Afghanistan for rescue mission | Daily Mail Online

Boris Johnson will attempt to persuade Joe Biden to keep American troops in Afghanistan beyond his August 31 deadline when the two leaders take part in a G7 meeting this week.

The Prime Minister reportedly wants the US President to push back his final withdrawal date in order for the UK and other nations to evacuate more Afghan citizens from Kabul.

There are fears that the 1,000 UK troops taking part in Britain's rescue operation will have to pull out when America's remaining group of 6,000 leave.

Despite scenes of chaos outside Kabul airport, the UK managed to airlift more than 1,700 people out in the past 24 hours. However there fears thousands could still be left behind if the US pulls out at the end of this month.

Dominic Raab, the foreign secretary, and Ben Wallace, the defence secretary, have both called on the US to extend the deadline, with Mr Wallace saying they would have the UK's 'complete support' if they do.

President Biden has hinted troops may stay past this date to help with evacuations, though no announcement has yet been made.

Now Mr Johnson will use the G7 meeting later this week to attempt to convince the US President to push back his Afghanistan exit date, reports the Times.

The UK, which holds the leadership of the group at the moment, had called for the virtual meeting, which will take place on Tuesday.

It comes as Mr Johnson today wrote on Twitter: 'I will convene G7 leaders on Tuesday for urgent talks on the situation in Afghanistan.

VIDEO, 1 hour ago.
Clarissa Ward recounts 'profound uncertainty' in Kabul - CNN Video
''Clarissa Ward recounts 'profound uncertainty' in Kabul
Clarissa Ward says the fall of Kabul was "one of the most intense stories I've ever covered." She recounts "real, profound uncertainty" after the city fell to the Taliban. She also explains why her CNN crew decided to stay in place for several days: "We had to stay on this story."

Taliban fighters accost CNN reporter and crew
Aug 19, 2021

President Biden delivers remarks on Afghanistan as panic grips Kabul airport | Daily Mail Online

President Joe Biden says the United States is 'working hard' and as 'fast as we can' to get Americans and U.S. allies out of Afghanistan, noting that 33,000 people have been evacuated from the country since July.

Biden, who set an evacuation deadline of August 31, says about 11,000 people were lifted out of Kabul in less than 36 hours, describing the evacuation 'hard and painful' and admitting 'a lot could still go wrong'.

'Let me be clear -- the evacuation of thousands of people from Kabul is going to be hard and painful,' Biden said.

'No matter when it started, when we began. It would have been true if we had started a month ago, or a month from now. There is no way to evacuate this many people without pain and loss and heartbreaking images you see on television.'

He said defense officials 'hope' they will not have to extend the evacuation operation, but 'there are going to be discussions I suspect on how far along we are in the process'.

And this poll is from data collected 5 days ago. I'm guessing it's gotten even worse since then. jmo

Only 25 Percent of Americans Approve Biden's Handling of Afghanistan: Poll

From the link:

Just a quarter of Americans say the approve of President Joe Biden's handling of Afghanistan, as the chaotic withdrawal of U.S. forces from the country faces widespread criticism.

The swift Taliban takeover took the U.S. off guard. Military and intelligence analysts had reportedly believed it was possible that the U.S.-backed Afghan government could fall with a month to 90 days. Biden and other administration officials had publicly downplayed those reports, with the president insisting the Taliban returning to power was "not inevitable."

The NBC News polling results align with those of a separate survey conducted by Morning Consult/Politico this month. That poll found that just 25 percent of registered voters believed the Afghanistan withdrawal going "very" or "somewhat" well. Meanwhile, 57 percent said that it was not going too well or not well at all.

Polling in the US suggests the people (not media folk or NGOs or contractors or those wishing to make political hay) want out, even if they don't like the mess. So if a grand coalition of forces and funding is provided...maybe. But Biden has been pretty adamant so far. We'll see.

In my experience polls are usually very unreliable, especially if they come from most news media.

Everyone I speak to, everything I watch on the Internet, on national news and international news suggests that people overwhelmingly want a large enough immediate military presence to rescue everyone who wants to leave right now and can qualify for a visa.

I do agree that the majority of people don’t want things to be as they have been since 2013, with a large military presence on a permanent or semi-permanent basis.
MOO

Last edited:
And this poll is from data collected 5 days ago. I'm guessing it's gotten even worse since then. jmo

Only 25 Percent of Americans Approve Biden's Handling of Afghanistan: Poll

From the link:

Just a quarter of Americans say the approve of President Joe Biden's handling of Afghanistan, as the chaotic withdrawal of U.S. forces from the country faces widespread criticism.

The swift Taliban takeover took the U.S. off guard. Military and intelligence analysts had reportedly believed it was possible that the U.S.-backed Afghan government could fall with a month to 90 days. Biden and other administration officials had publicly downplayed those reports, with the president insisting the Taliban returning to power was "not inevitable."

The NBC News polling results align with those of a separate survey conducted by Morning Consult/Politico this month. That poll found that just 25 percent of registered voters believed the Afghanistan withdrawal going "very" or "somewhat" well. Meanwhile, 57 percent said that it was not going too well or not well at all.

Based on this press conference, this isn't doesn't seem to be about politics for the guy. He's sticking with what he believes is right, I guess, and taking the heat. Good for him.

We cannot save everyone in Afghanistan. Let's hope the boys and men remember what it was like to see women and girls happy and living freer lives. Let's hope they plan to fight again, and are just laying low, ready to pounce just like the Taliban were after the last administration made their deal (effectively a surrender - Afghan conflict: US and Taliban sign deal to end 18-year war). The Taliban just had to wait a little longer than May. Two can play that game.

Antony Blinken won't dispute U.S. has to ask Taliban for PERMISSION to evacuate Americans | Daily Mail Online

Secretary of State Antony Blinken didn't deny on Sunday that the U.S. has to ask the Taliban for permission to get Americans out of Afghanistan as the developing situation in Kabul continues to present obstacles for evacuations.

'Someone in our audience might listen to you, Mr. Secretary, and say, 'Oh, so we have to ask the Taliban for permission for American citizens to leave.' True or not true?' CBS News' Face the Nation fill in host Major Garrett asked Blinken of the 'agreement' between the Islamic militant group and Washington.

'They are in control of Kabul. That is the reality,' Blinken responded without denying the claim Garrett detailed.

'That's the reality that we have to deal with,' he added.

'How comfortable are you with that, Mr. Secretary?' the host questioned the State Department chief.

He continued to deflect in saying: 'What I am focused on, what we're all focused on, is getting people out and making sure that we're doing everything possible to do that.'

'And in this case, it is, I think, a requirement of the job to be in contact with the Taliban, which controls Kabul,' Blinken explained.

Try to get out again and we'll make you pay: Afghan translators reveal nightmare | Daily Mail Online

Exhausted, frustrated and crushed by the mass of people desperate to reach Kabul airport, ex-military translators and their families told of their failed bids to escape yesterday.

Some approved for evacuation failed to make it through Taliban checkpoints – one held at gunpoint and photographed, another beaten and turned back.

Others complained of spending more than 60 hours in the crush of people where at least seven died and dozens were carried away unconscious.

Antony Blinken won't dispute U.S. has to ask Taliban for PERMISSION to evacuate Americans | Daily Mail Online

Secretary of State Antony Blinken didn't deny on Sunday that the U.S. has to ask the Taliban for permission to get Americans out of Afghanistan as the developing situation in Kabul continues to present obstacles for evacuations.

'Someone in our audience might listen to you, Mr. Secretary, and say, 'Oh, so we have to ask the Taliban for permission for American citizens to leave.' True or not true?' CBS News' Face the Nation fill in host Major Garrett asked Blinken of the 'agreement' between the Islamic militant group and Washington.

'They are in control of Kabul. That is the reality,' Blinken responded without denying the claim Garrett detailed.

'That's the reality that we have to deal with,' he added.

'How comfortable are you with that, Mr. Secretary?' the host questioned the State Department chief.

He continued to deflect in saying: 'What I am focused on, what we're all focused on, is getting people out and making sure that we're doing everything possible to do that.'

'And in this case, it is, I think, a requirement of the job to be in contact with the Taliban, which controls Kabul,' Blinken explained.

Ah, the Daily Mail... these are the terms of surrender, the deal that the Trump administration signed in 2020 (Afghan conflict: US and Taliban sign deal to end 18-year war). The Taliban has not attacked US forces (yet, but I doubt they will), and so we can't force our way through the country sweeping up people, unless we want to surge our forces, then stick around for a decade or so to stabilize. This is why people were encouraged to start leaving in April (US sending 3K troops for partial Afghan embassy evacuation). We now need to work with them and use special operations to whatever extent that we can.

Last edited:
Ah, the Daily Mail... these are the terms of surrender, the deal that the Trump administration signed in 2020 (Afghan conflict: US and Taliban sign deal to end 18-year war). The Taliban has not attacked US forces (yet, but I doubt they will), and so we can't force our way through the country sweeping up people, unless we want to surge our forces, then stick around for a decade or so to stabilize. This is why people were encouraged to start leaving in April (US sending 3K troops for partial Afghan embassy evacuation). We now need to work with them and use special operations to whatever extent that we can.

I don't see anywhere in the deal where the military was supposed to be yanked out in the middle of the night and a air base abandoned before citizens were removed. Allowing tens of thousands of people to become hostages. I don't see where the agreement allowed for the Taliban to not have to meet conditions set before us withdrawing. You have more trust in the Taliban than I do. We will be lucky to get out unscathed. While US troops have not been attacked, our US citizens have been.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkravetsky