The Fall Of Kabul To The Taliban

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The G7 summit ( virtual ) is underway, per reporters. They are discussing the Afghanistan crisis. Most notably absent, is the President of the United States. All other countries represented have their leaders in place. Please see list attached to this note from Vivian Salama, Wall Street Journal reporter.

https://twitter.com/vmsalama/status/1430181724747714566

The virtual G7 meeting to discuss the crisis in Afghanistan is underway, per the White House. List of attendees below:

Taliban urges US to stop evacuating skilled Afghans

''10 minutes ago
The Taliban on Tuesday urged skilled Afghans not to flee the country, as the new rulers of Afghanistan warned the United States and its NATO allies they would not accept an extension to a looming evacuation deadline – even as Western countries said time was running out.

A spokesman for the group told America to stop taking “Afghan experts” such as engineers and doctors out of the country.''
“We ask them to stop this process,” spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said at a press conference in Kabul.

“This country needs their expertise. They should not be taken to other countries.”

Conor Finnegan
@cjf39

State Dept has now contacted every US citizen in Afghanistan that registered w/embassy "& instructed them to report to designated locations for evacuation," per internal report obtained by ABC, which said 5,100+ Americans evacuated incl US personnel:
"U.S. citizen evacuation operations are ongoing. Embassy Kabul continues to advise U.S. citizens to avoid travel to the airport/airport gates until they receive individual instructions," per report, timestamped at 8AM ET today.

Biden to stick to Aug. 31 Afghan withdrawal deadline as U.S. speeds evacuations (nbcnews.com)

The president has faced pressure at home and abroad in recent days to extend the deadline to allow for more time for evacuation efforts.

Afghanistan does not answer to Biden, and the Taliban have stated that they expect the withdrawal to be completed on schedule. Perhaps the plea needs to be made with the Taliban rather than a foreign country. Putin met with the Taliban in Kabul within days of Taliban arrival in Kabul. I think there's more at play here than Biden calling the shots.

In the following text, which has been published in full, Charlene Cakora urges Haqqani to consider issuing a request to President Joe Biden's administration for a deal that would see Frerichs freed in exchange for the release of Bashir Noorzai, an Afghan tribal leader arrested on heroin trafficking charges in New York while attempting to advance diplomacy as the U.S.-led war in his country grew increasingly violent in April 2005.

Newsweek has also spoken to current and former U.S. officials regarding the prospect of trading Noorzai, who is currently in a New Hampshire federal prison, for Frerichs, whose whereabouts are unknown.

Statement by Family of Last U.S. Hostage in Afghanistan to Haqqani Network (newsweek.com)

Family Desperate For Answers About Mark Frerichs, Navy Veteran From Lombard Who Was Kidnapped In Afghanistan In 2020 – CBS Chicago (cbslocal.com)

Last edited:
From Richard Engel, NBC News Chief Foreign Corespondent:

https://twitter.com/RichardEngel/status/1430249556655083522

US embassy issues last alert for US citizens to leave afghanistan or they’re on their own, then recalls it 30 mins later.
2:24 PM · Aug 24, 2021·

What kind of State Department/ Government Official puts out those alerts?
This is a disaster! And an embarrassment to our country.
And, the POTUS has delayed his live remarks as obvious. Maybe at 4:30 ET? So many questions! I hope he answers them all from the press, spontaneously.

This country, our citizens at home and abroad, and our troops deserve the truth. Our allies deserve the same. And, those who are left behind in Afghanistan deserve this!

From Richard Engel, NBC News Chief Foreign Corespondent:

https://twitter.com/RichardEngel/status/1430249556655083522

US embassy issues last alert for US citizens to leave afghanistan or they’re on their own, then recalls it 30 mins later.
2:24 PM · Aug 24, 2021·

What kind of State Department/ Government Official puts out those alerts?
This is a disaster! And an embarrassment to our country.
And, the POTUS has delayed his live remarks as obvious. Maybe at 4:30 ET? So many questions! I hope he answers them all from the press, spontaneously.

This country, our citizens at home and abroad, and our troops deserve the truth. Our allies deserve the same. And, those who are left behind in Afghanistan deserve this!

You mean without his preselected list? Yes, that would be nice.

Both Pentagon and State Department afternoon briefings now cancelled

Per CBS News Tweet

https://twitter.com/cbsMcCormick/status/1430253332195680262

Wow. I've never seen anything like this. Maybe Viet Nam was worse? I'm not old enough to remember that. But this is definitely the worst handling by the US Gov't of any international situation in my adult life. I can hardly believe it. Rarely is there news involving the US that makes it difficult for me to go about my day. jmo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NysesPieces