The PayPal Defense Fund

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's what I'm thinkin'. Wow, I had no idea that Paypal charged fees like that. I'm guessing that if donations continue to come in, they will be directly to the trust accout.

IIRC, it's 3%. I was deducting from the entire amount.

That's what happens when you receive "donations" through a 3rd party. You pay a fee. It's the American way.

Still don't understand why they used Paypal, instead of a bank. :waitasec:

Many people that do donate like the security of Paypal. The recipient of the donation does not know your credit card or bank account since Paypal will not disclose that. Paypal will also close the account if complaints are received about
the recipient. It even allows reversal under some conditions. Most important, Paypal makes it so darn easy to donate (like 15 seconds), since many folks do have an account already. Plus you also have a neat record on line for a long long time of how much you donated and to whom.

That's what I'm thinkin'. Wow, I had no idea that Paypal charged fees like that. I'm guessing that if donations continue to come in, they will be directly to the trust accout.

Nope. MOM is using Paypal too for GZlegalcase.com. "Would be" donators prefer the security of Paypal as a means of donating over any other application. MOM is using good business sense.

That's what happens when you receive "donations" through a 3rd party. You pay a fee. It's the American way.

Still don't understand why they used Paypal, instead of a bank. :waitasec:

The money wasn't coming out of GZ's pocket. He could care less. The fees were coming out of the donations. Anything is better than nothing, I guess and IMO GZ could do it from the comfort of his hideout. jmo

Yes they will. Kind of an incentive, too, not to rush getting those discovery documents released, IMO. jmo

Nope. MOM is using Paypal too for GZlegalcase.com. "Would be" donators prefer the security of Paypal as a means of donating over any other application. MOM is using good business sense.
Thank you. I didn't know they were still using Paypal, as I haven't even come close to hitting that donate button. :floorlaugh: Seems like the "donation" information might be released if GZ tries to have the state pay for one dime. ?? Didn't MOM say he was putting into a trust? Seems a little fishy to me.

I don't know if it will happen, but I would LOVE to see the list, who donated, and what amount. :please:

Thank you. I didn't know they were still using Paypal, as I haven't even come close to hitting that donate button. :floorlaugh: Seems like the "donation" information might be released if GZ tries to have the state pay for one dime. ?? Didn't MOM say he was putting into a trust? Seems a little fishy to me.

I don't know if it will happen, but I would LOVE to see the list, who donated, and what amount. :please:

I doubt if we ever will find out which persons/institutions donated. They are not breaking any laws. Bet the donated money is already being used to pay folks for the social media operation. As to the trust. Do not find it fishy, rather careful planning ahead by MOM in the best interest of his client. I would presume the Trust is protected from civil law suits against GZ if the SYG defense will not stand and GZ could not claim immunity from civil litigation. Am not a lawyer so just IMO.

I just could not resist hitting that donate button on the web site to check it out.:blushing:

--according to omara, we won't be seeing "the list".

http://www.gzlegalcase.com/

We have chosen to use PayPal to collect donations because they offer secure transactions, they have a strong reputation for online monetary transactions, and they are a trusted third-party.

The personal information that is collected as part of your donation process will be kept strictly confidential.

I find the whole things about "donating" to a fund set up in this fashion for this purpose says more about those who donate than those who take the money. Sure is a weird world.

http://www.pressherald.com/news/nationworld/slain-teens-mother-gets-to-take-time-off_2012-05-13.html
Slain teen's mother gets to take time off

The donated vacation days are only the latest contributions on both sides of the case.

O'Mara recently created a new fundraising site administered by a former IRS agent and registered with the Florida Division of Consumer Services. He told ABC News that he raised nearly $8,000 in the first few days the site was active.

"I'm not going to be unrealistic to the fact that everyone is seeking donations in relation to this case, including the Trayvon Martin family," O'Mara said at a recent news conference. "It seems as though we have become in this criminal justice system a system where we can ask other people to help us. That's what we are doing."

--personally, i think the bulk of the donations came in before omara took over and set up his own legal fund site----he's going to find himself stuck w/ george, and the expense required to keep him safe, along w/ his "reasonable living expenses".

This isn't MOM's first rodeo with this kind of charge:

O'Mara is no stranger to big murder cases.

In 2004, he received state-wide attention while defending Shamir Suber, who was charged with second-degree murder for killing a young nurse with his car while trying to evade police, CNN reported.

Suber was eventually convicted of a lesser charge, DUI manslaughter.

http://articles.nydailynews.com/201...r-trial-second-degree-murder-dui-manslaughter

As of May 16, 2012, the George Zimmerman Legal Defense Fund has raised $15,424. The fund was established on May 3, after approval was received from the Florida Division of Consumer Services. This fund replaces a PayPal account set up by Mr. Zimmerman that raised just over $200,000. The week of April 26, Mr. Zimmerman, on advice of counsel, shut down that account in favor of a new account that is independently maintained by a third party who can insure the monies raised are allocated to reasonable living expenses for Mr. Zimmerman, defense costs, and legal fees.

The majority of the donations have come from the PayPal link on the <redacted> website, and about $3,700 has been received in the form of checks and money orders. Approximately $30,000 from the initial fund was spent making Mr. Zimmerman&#8217;s complicated transition from a private life in Sanford, FL to his new life in hiding as the defendant in a high-profile case. Approximately $20,000 has been kept liquid to fund Mr. Zimmerman&#8217;s living expenses for the next several months. None of the funds have yet been allocated for legal fees or defense costs; however it is expected for some of the funds to be used for this purpose in the near future.

The largest donation received was $3,000, then $2,000 and the lowest was one dollar. Most donate between $25 and $100, and many include notes of support for Mr. Zimmerman and his family.

Straight from the horse's mouth. Will not link due to the fact that the URL will be removed - Mr. O'mara's website for Mr. Zimmerman.

Wonder if there are increasing donations since the release of the 'medical' information on GZ? I think that was the point!

Wonder if there are increasing donations since the release of the 'medical' information on GZ? I think that was the point!

I imagine that taxpayers in Florida hope that the donations keep coming. If GZ runs out of money, the state will have to start paying for his defense. We saw that with that other Florida case recently. JMO.

Just being in the news again could very well increase donations. And yes, information of facial injuries and a broken nose could very well increase donations.

Just being in the news again could very well increase donations. And yes, information of facial injuries and a broken nose could very well increase donations.

Ya, imagine that. Exculpatory evidence is released prompting people to donate to GZ's defense fund. JMO.

But remember when O'Mara said he was working pro-bono? This gets me riled up. If he is working pro-bono, then what is the "defense fund" for? Were they just lying in court so they could keep the money? :banghead: They can't have him rich and indigent at the same time.

Even if O'Mara is working pro-bono, it only means that he is not charging GZ for his time- or maybe O'Mara will only be taking the paltry fee that the state will pay (not sure on this). But in any court case, there are easily many thousands of dollars in expenses that no lawyer is going to pay for. Off the top of my head some of these are telephone call costs, photo copies and postage. I'm not sure if the state would pay for expert witnesses, but possibly they would only pay a flat fee and the difference would have to come from GZ.

The sympathy card!

If MOM really want to see a spike in donations, he should think about releasing the frontal view photos from the night of the incident!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper