There was a body found in the desert area where JP was the night of her disappearance

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If this is Susan...I hope it means that her parents can see the children soon...

I'm exhausted this morning from thinking about her parents all night. Those poor people.

Another guy missing from same county. http://www.findryanfast.com/ Ryan S Jensen

Here's a map, showing the approximately location of the remains: click here -- green arrow.

If this is Susan, JP may have gone down SR-138 and taken the first main road -- not realizing, at night, that he was close to civilization.

I suppose this could be Jensen -- but Erda is 17 miles north (and Jensen was apparently on foot).

I'm betting on Powell. Hoping.

I found the homeowner's address.

CLICK HERE to see a satellite view. It's the red "A".

On KSL (link in SuzyQ's post), it's being described as "a hay farm". If you look closely at the satellite view and pan around, you can see many hayfields. Some are green circles, others are closer to town near the other hills. I don't know if these would be the area -- but there's lots of dirt roads all over this place.

It's also possible that these remains were scattered by animals, and what was found on the property was brought in from elsewhere.

But the reports all say "in Stockton" - within the general area of the town.
It makes sense he didn't go much further that night, in a minivan.

We shall see.

I just picked a house from the net in the South Rim subdivsion. Map shows how close to Pony Express.

Pony Express isn't a dot on a map; it's a trail that goes through the entire state of Utah (as well as other states).

Previous searches have been centered on Simpson Springs, which is 44 miles from Stockton, Utah.
Click here for route and distance between Stockton and Simpson Springs.

Once a vehicle leaves the paved road at Vernon, it's on the unpaved Pony Express trail.
The other route (through Dugway Proving Grounds) wouldn't have been accessible to him.

Laytonian, thank you for your help with the maps and local road information. This helps people like me who don't live in the area. I sure hope it is Susan. Not because I wish her dead, but because it has got to be so awful for her family to know she is missing, and Joshie is going on like nothing happened.

Click here for more details on the discovery. I'm really thinking this is going to be "big".

QUOTE FROM THE STORY (THERE'S MORE)

The two investigated further, and discovered the lower half of a highly decomposed human body.

“The pants are what I saw, he noticed the foot,” Hogan said Monday. “It was pretty well decomposed, still some toes that were there, but the rest of the flesh was off of it. It was just bones.”​

Laytonian, thank you for your help with the maps and local road information. This helps people like me who don't live in the area. I sure hope it is Susan. Not because I wish her dead, but because it has got to be so awful for her family to know she is missing, and Joshie is going on like nothing happened.

You're welcome. I don't wish anyone to be dead, and wish Susan could return to her family -- but if it's not her, then there's someone else who's died.

From the story, this sounds like a burial.

Pure speculation as to where the remains were found, based on the Salt Lake Tribune update.

The article mentions Hickman Canyon; there's at least three canyons in Utah by that name. The one in Tooele County is East Hickman Canyon.

The East Hickman Canyon drainage (and an entry road to the Canyon and its campgrounds) are right along "Mormon Trail Road". On this map, the blue line represents the dirt road that goes into the canyon. You can also see hay fields at the lower elevation near the highway.

The remains couldn't have been far off the road, if they were taken there by someone driving a passenger car/minivan.

I have seen comments that authorities are expected to make an announcement this afternoon. I haven't seen an official statement they will do so... just the one from yesterday.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=15560257

He said that was one of the reasons authorities were withholding any details about the body until Monday afternoon.

The body not being completely skeletonized concerns me as far as it possibly being Susan. I guess it's possible though... if she was somehow buried and our two years of flooding in a row have unearthed the body.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/51822949-78/body-hogan-county-family.html.csp

I am also concerned that even if this is Susan... it doesn't automatically mean the boys will see her parents.

They have been living with the Powell's. If only Josh is implicated in a crime and the boys have been living with his family... they could very easily and successfully argue that uprooting them would be detrimental... it has certainly happened more than once before.

Since they haven't gone to court to see the boys since Susan went missing (that we are aware of) the Powell's could use that. While Susan's family could argue that Josh likely snapped when he found out Susan was leaving him... and they didn't want him to snap if he thought he was losing his boys too.

It's all horrible... and I hope it all turns out well for the boys. But I fear that they may have a very uphill battle... which just isn't right.

I believe poor Susan is dead, which is why I hope this is her, so her family can know for sure and justice can be had.

The report states the remains were skeletonized. In fact, the people who found it described it as a Halloween skeleton. So, it could easily be her. Praying for her family tonight.

I have seen comments that authorities are expected to make an announcement this afternoon. I haven't seen an official statement they will do so... just the one from yesterday.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=15560257

He said that was one of the reasons authorities were withholding any details about the body until Monday afternoon.

The body not being completely skeletonized concerns me as far as it possibly being Susan. I guess it's possible though... if she was somehow buried and our two years of flooding in a row have unearthed the body.

I am also concerned that even if this is Susan... it doesn't automatically mean the boys will see her parents.

They have been living with the Powell's. If only Josh is implicated in a crime and the boys have been living with his family... they could very easily and successfully argue that uprooting them would be detrimental... it has certainly happened more than once before.

Since they haven't gone to court to see the boys since Susan went missing (that we are aware of) the Powell's could use that. While Susan's family could argue that Josh likely snapped when he found out Susan was leaving him... and they didn't want him to snap if he thought he was losing his boys too.

It's all horrible... and I hope it all turns out well for the boys. But I fear that they may have a very uphill battle... which just isn't right.

I didn't see anything that described the remains as partially decomposed. the people who found her described the body as a skeleton with some clothing on.

I agree with you regarding the children. I feel they should have fought because now the grandfather can argue that the children should remain with him and his unusual family since they have been there for so long and have had little contact with the maternal side.

Saw the Google news alert and rushed over to get the details. I hope this is Susan, I hope she can finally come home. I don't believe it's even remotely possible that she is alive, so I don't believe that hoping to locate her equates to hoping she is not alive. I just want her to come home and for justice to be served swiftly against Josh, hopefully with as little repercussions to her children as possible. Of course, some distress will be necessary as with any upheaval. In the long run, though, some distress now is healthier than an entire childhood spent being brought up by a spineless, lying murderer.

I would love to see what Josh is doing at the moment, if this is Susan, I am sure he is a nervous wreck.........anyone watching him? locals???

I didn't see anything that described the remains as partially decomposed. the people who found her described the body as a skeleton with some clothing on.

I agree with you regarding the children. I feel they should have fought because now the grandfather can argue that the children should remain with him and his unusual family since they have been there for so long and have had little contact with the maternal side.

Was that a foot sticking out of that patch of sagebrush?

The two investigated further, and discovered the lower half of a highly decomposed human body.

“The pants are what I saw, he noticed the foot,” Hogan said Monday. “It was pretty well decomposed, still some toes that were there, but the rest of the flesh was off of it. It was just bones.”

I took that comment to mean that there was flesh if the "rest of the flesh" was gone... maybe just bad wording?

Hopefully they found more than the lower half...

They just said on Fox 13 news at 11am... State anthropologists are on scene, they are trying to locate the rest of the body, they don't yet know if it is a man or a woman and "the remains do NOT appear to be those of missing West Valley mother Susan Cox Powell."

They didn't say who said that... just "authorities".... maybe they just mixed her up with the soldier... they didn't mention the body not being him. I see nowhere else that they have said it doesn't appear to be Susan. :waitasec:

Fox 13 has news at NOON as well... 45 minutes from now. I would imagine they would repeat the same thing.

http://www.fox13now.com/live/

“The pants are what I saw, he noticed the foot,” Hogan said Monday. “It was pretty well decomposed, still some toes that were there, but the rest of the flesh was off of it. It was just bones.”

I took that comment to mean that there was flesh if the "rest of the flesh" was gone... maybe just bad wording?

I take it to mean "pretty well decomposed...flesh". Not like my own toes, but dessicated and/or rotted. Buried and/or wrapped? That could cause uneven decomposition when the body was uncovered by animals.

I'd be surprised if we got an announcement today.
It's going to take awhile to investigate the scene, as well as locate the torso and head (if buried).

Pants had pockets, evidently. What was Susan last seen wearing?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
truelove
Back