Tim Bosma: Dellen Millard & Mark Smich chgd w/Murder; Christina Noudga, Accessory

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting to learn that according to http://www.chch.com/bail-hearing-continues-woman-accused-bosma-killing/ "Also Detective Matt Cavanaugh of the Hamilton police was in attendance today"

You'd think there would be an expectation he'd be a witness at the trials, too, IMO, wouldn't you? We understand that this is the reason SB is not attending the bail hearing - I suppose the idea is that what she would hear about the defense could potentially taint her testimony. Wouldn't LE be subject to the same concern? Puzzling IMO.

I think I can answer my own question. On line at http://lawfacts.ca/criminal/bail we learn some more about bail hearings, including "First ,the Crown presents the allegations to the court. Most of the time, the Crown will do this by reading out the allegations found in the police synopsis. In some cases, the Crown will present the allegations by calling a witness (or witnesses) to testify in court. This witness will usually be the police officer in charge of the investigation. "

That suggests that Kavanaugh may have been on hand for that purpose. MOO

Christina Noudga's three-day bail hearing concluded Friday after closing arguments from prosecution and defence lawyers.
Noudga, 22, will be back in the prisoner's box next Friday, Aug. 8, where it's expected she will hear the decision if she will be released while awaiting trial. She's accused in accessory after the fact in the 2013 murder of Tim Bosma, and has been identified by police as the girlfriend of Dellen Millard, 28, who is facing first-degree murder charges in Bosma's death.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamil...bail-decision-will-wait-1-more-week-1.2724926

Decided not to attend today due to the thought of travelling in long weekend traffic, and the skyway being closed heading back east to cottage country for me sealed the deal. Really wish it weren't a long weekend or I would have gone. Ah well. No long weekend for CN though having to wait until next Friday for the decision.

I would think the opposite, and that the reason SB (or any witness) not being allowed to attend the bail hearing is because evidence that she may hear from the prosecution could potentially taint her own account, rather than the defense?
Wouldn't LE already know all of the facts in the case, including all of LE's collected evidence against CN, and so therefore, how could his account be tainted since it is already established on record and he is already privy to all of that? Isn't he likely the prosecution's prime material?
And is it not at all common for LE to attend court to see how their cases end up? (I have no idea?)

Interesting to learn that according to http://www.chch.com/bail-hearing-continues-woman-accused-bosma-killing/ "Also Detective Matt Cavanaugh of the Hamilton police was in attendance today"

You'd think there would be an expectation he'd be a witness at the trials, too, IMO, wouldn't you? We understand that this is the reason SB is not attending the bail hearing - I suppose the idea is that what she would hear about the defense could potentially taint her testimony. Wouldn't LE be subject to the same concern? Puzzling IMO.

I would think the opposite, and that the reason SB (or any witness) not being allowed to attend the bail hearing is because evidence that she may hear from the prosecution could potentially taint her own account, rather than the defense?
Wouldn't LE already know all of the facts in the case, including all of LE's collected evidence against CN, and so therefore, how could his account be tainted since it is already established on record and he is already privy to all of that? Isn't he likely the prosecution's prime material?
And is it not at all common for LE to attend court to see how their cases end up? (I have no idea?)

Yes, definitely LE would have provided the evidence to the prosecution, but at the bail hearing, as I understand it, both sides have a say - prosecutors showing cause why she should not be released and defense countering their arguments. Actually, maybe it's the other way around, with defense presenting cause for her release (no previous record-not a flight risk -etc. etc) and the prosecutors stating that she should stay in the slammer (serious charges - need to show the public that justice is being served, etc. etc.) But they're taking so much time with this that it may be that her defense is questioning the reason for her incarceration at all. (She's an innocent unaware that the accused had committed crimes etc. etc.)

Just blowin' smoke here. I have no idea what's involved either. My single court experience, sparked by a parking ticket dispute and my righteous indignation about being wrongfully billed (my opinion, not that of the traffic court judge) was so traumatizing I've walked the straight and narrow ever since.

If Kavanaugh was a witness on the stand today (not sure if he was), does that mean that what Noudga did occurred in Hamilton Police Service jurisdiction?

If Kavanaugh was a witness on the stand today (not sure if he was), does that mean that what Noudga did occurred in Hamilton Police Service jurisdiction?

Good question. If we're sort of poking around at the idea that her involvement may have something to do with the discovery of the trailer and TB's truck in MB's driveway, would that area be in the HPS balliwick? I don't know what the jurisdictional boundaries are. I don't know, either, who leads an investigation that spans jurisdictions. Great sleuthers abound here so I'm pretty sure somebody has the answer, imo.

A large covered trailer, which is believed to contain Mr. Bosma’s truck, was found on Sunday at Mr. Millard’s mother’s home in Kleinburg, north of Toronto. Det. Sgt. Kavanagh, who said the trailer is owned by Mr. Millard’s business, said officers expected to begin processing the trailer and truck on Monday after obtaining a search warrant.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...napping-charge-in-bosma-case/article11883445/

Tinsmith Court in Kleinburg is in Vaughan and is part of the York region Police Service, I believe.

I'm just guessing, but couldn't it just be because Kavanagh is heading the Bosma investigation?

Kavanagh is one of three case managers in the homicide unit. While this is still being considered a missing person investigation, the fact it is being led by the homicide unit is a sobering and ominous indication of a reality that no one wants to say out loud.

It is Kavanagh's investigation in every way, though it likely came to him simply because it was his turn. He directs his detectives, he allocates resources, liaises with other police services, takes journalists' questions and works with the Crown's office to lay charges.
He and his team are interviewing Millard, knowing he likely holds the key to Tim's whereabouts and the identities and locations of other suspects. They are preparing and executing search warrants for Millard's home and hopefully getting arrest warrants for other suspects.

http://www.thespec.com/opinion-story/2873801-clairmont-whatever-it-takes-to-find-tim-bosma/

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member