Titanic tourist sub goes missing in Atlantic Ocean, June 2023 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Did the carbon fiber cylinder have a titanium center? I hadn't heard that, but certainly possible. I think just the combination of using a cylinder and carbon fiber wasn't a good idea. I mean, it maybe COULD be (the sub did complete multiple successful dives to the Titanic) but it just needed more testing and engineering.

As you said, if you are engaging in an activity where failure means instant death, might be a good idea to stick with tried and true methods. How many dives has Alvin with its steel spherical hull made in its long history?

I should add that I do feel sorry for the passengers. I doubt they really understood the risk.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed as not victim friendly. The following response refers to the NY Post article linked above>

I think this article is utter nonsense, it should be listed as an opinion piece only. It is just someone who knows him giving a total negative opinion of him.

Rush had zero to gain by killing billionaires and everything to lose by doing so. Rush needed their money for projects and killing them is killing the golden goose.

And no way is Rush going to set a death trap for someone then go in the trap himself.

I hate these types of click bait 15 minutes of fame lying interviews. So disrespectful to the entire 5.

2 Cents

Last edited by a moderator:
Did the carbon fiber cylinder have a titanium center? I hadn't heard that, but certainly possible. I think just the combination of using a cylinder and carbon fiber wasn't a good idea. I mean, it maybe COULD be (the sub did complete multiple successful dives to the Titanic) but it just needed more testing and engineering.

As you said, if you are engaging in an activity where failure means instant death, might be a good idea to stick with tried and true methods. How many dives has Alvin with its steel spherical hull made in its long history?

I should add that I do feel sorry for the passengers. I doubt they really understood the risk.

Yes the carbon fibre was literally bound around the titanium cylinder in a method that could be compared to say bandaging a fractured limb. I have seen youtube videos of it. It was wound around in continuous band a bit like winding cotton around a spool and it is coated with glue as it's being wound around. Experts have said this is completely inappropriate material and therefore should not ever be used for a submersible but setting that to one side the fibre and glue actually creates a stronger bond if layered in a multidirectional manner and not 'wound around' in bands.

"United States medical professionals are conducting a formal DNA analysis of presumed human remains that have been carefully recovered from within the wreckage at the site of the incident," reads a brief statement from the U.S. Coast Guard on Monday.

After the fact-finding stage is complete, the Marine Board of Investigation will commence public hearings. The board will have the power to issue subpoenas and production orders for evidence, and summon witnesses to testify in front of the public.

No dates have been set for those hearings. The coast guard reserves Marine Boards of Investigation to the most serious nautical disasters.

A survivor of a botched trip to the Titanic in OceanGate's Titan submersible has told of the moment passengers had to rock from side to side to get the vessel back to the surface.

No words.
Imagine 1000 billionaires in a spaceship on its way to Venus… Best of luck to Mr. Sohnlein, I’ll be long gone by 2050 so I guess it’ll be my great grandchildren who end up paying for their space rescue.

I’ve read the information on his organization and it sounds more like a rich boys club than a serious undertaking. IMO it’s in poor taste to take advantage of the wide msm coverage of the Titan disaster to promote his pet project. All JMO

OceanGate has appointed an investment banker as its new CEO after the death of its former chief, Stockton Rush, on the doomed Titan sub.

From your

From your first link:

Confirming the appointment of its new CEO, OceanGate told Insider, Gordon is “to lead OceanGate through the ongoing investigations and closure of the company's operations”.

So I assume OceanGate is kaput as a company?

From your

From your first link:

Confirming the appointment of its new CEO, OceanGate told Insider, Gordon is “to lead OceanGate through the ongoing investigations and closure of the company's operations”.

So I assume OceanGate is kaput as a company?
Curious as to why anyone would take that role at this point. Interesting development.

Last edited:
Curious as to why anyone would take that role at this point. Interesting development.
I actually find that quite responsible on his part. Even though the company likely has no future and will be dissolved one way or another, there are corporate things that need to be done at this point, obligations to creditors, shareholders, tax returns, etc. I wouldn't be surprised to see a bankruptcy filed soon. Keep in mind, there are a couple of companies that sort of comprise OceanGate.

As an aside, I was listening to a podcast the other day about how the USAF had lost an atomic bomb in the Mediterranean Sea. They enlisted the use of a submersible to help. That sub was Alvin. That was back in the 1960s. Alvin has been diving to incredible depths for 60 + years with no loss of life. It has a tried and true and tested design. And well maintained I am sure. Alvin actually was unable to retrieve the bomb which was eventually recovered by other means.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back