GUILTY TN - Benjamin Shook for kidnapping, rape of 14yo girl, Surgoinsville, 2015

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
If they are on the Appalachian Trail I would think that they would be easily spotted by hikers. This time of year is a good time to be hiking that trail. Yes the rains are common but the overall weather is conducive for hiking. I pray with the reward offered for Ben Shook's capture will increase the due diligence of people.

Praying H will be found safe today. This is just happening to often.

I think he's staying close to an area he is familiar with. He knows it as good or better then the people pursuing them, which gives him an advantage when it comes to hiding. I think that may be the reason they hitchhiked to that area after getting the truck stuck. He knows the area.

Someone upthread commented that they appeared to be moving in a circle, I agree with that. I don't thing he is staying in one place more than a day , and then moving on. Shook knows he's being pursued, sitting still too long will get him caught for sure.

I played around a little more with the map. From Flat Ridge Rd., one could turn right and come back out in Troutdale.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Tro...4ef3eecd62!2m2!1d-81.5829685!2d36.6461776!3e2

It does really seem they may have made a circle back to Troutdale and the Appalachian Trail. From there they could have headed back toward NC, TN or to Atkins VA where the trail comes out on Rt. 11 under I81. I wonder if they're still using the dogs to track them.

Thank you for the map. They have to find this child.

This is becoming a desperate situation. Desperate people take desperate measures. I'm really scared for this girl now.

This is becoming a desperate situation. Desperate people take desperate measures. I'm really scared for this girl now.

I agree GigTu! I've been fearful and worried for her all day today. I keep checking news hoping they've been found. I'm thinking steelman's right and he knows his way around the area. So scary...

Command Post set up in Sugar Grove for sex offender and missing teen
Updated: June 29, 2015, 6:10 pm

The Smyth County Sheriff’s Office has set up a command post in Sugar Grove, Virginia to search for missing Surgoinsville teenager, HW.

Monday marks the one week since the 14-year-old disappeared. Investigators believe, after meeting the teen in a chat room, 41-year-old convicted sex offender Benjamin Shook lured H out of her home.

H and Shook were last seen on Wednesday at an Exxon gas station in Sugar Grove.

“Without new information, we have to continue with the search in that area,” Eller said.

I think a command center is a bad idea. They need roving patrols with plain clothes cops interacting with the community. Shook is going to just avoid the area where the command post is set up, or he may flee the area all together. Guys on ATV's out goofing off, walking around in a park, driving through camping areas in a pickup truck, that's how they are going to catch him. He isn't looking out for people out goofing around, he's looking for marked squad cars and uniformed officers.

My guess is that him and his "daughter" will hitch a ride with a trucker and move 100 miles away before daybreak tomorrow.

I'm beyond worried for H. We're at one week missing now. So much may have transpired... and where the hello are they?
Steelman, you have a great point there, as to how LE should be scouring the area. Geez, wouldn't they think of that?

I think it's important that we not miss what can be learned here. Internet safety! As parents, we must get better educated, teach our kids (of all ages) and stay vigilant about monitoring and protecting them. If there is anything good to be learned here, that's it.

I wonder even with all the technology that is being used to track H.W. and Mr. Shook if the caring communities are better off now than when computers were first being used to track criminal activity.

On Nancy Grace -H's dad said LE thinks they have them tracked down to a 12 square mile area -in Appalachian Mt area , he was told there are cabins there in campground which are ten miles apart, and you can rent horses at theses stables to go up to these cabins.

So scary. This guy knows it's all over for him as soon as he's caught. Praying cool heads prevail and no one gets more hurt. :(

On Nancy Grace -H's dad said LE thinks they have them tracked down to a 12 square mile area -in Appalachian Mt area , he was told there are cabins there in campground which are ten miles apart, and you can rent horses at theses stables to go up to these cabins.

He needs to stop telling where LE thinks they are! What is he thinking?? :gaah: I saw an interview where he was telling how LE was tracking them. He's gotta stop!

Let's assume LE has the word out to these stables to watch for creep-a-zoid and H.

I was so hoping I would come home from work tonight and read the H had been found. Perhaps tomorrow will be that day. She needs to be brought home safely and soon!!

http://www.wdbj7.com/news/local/sea...unty-cabins-barns-for-missing-haleigh-wilson/

"People from the small community, with a population of less than 1,000, are hoping for a safe and quick end to the search."

I wonder if LE are taking K9's with them, as they go from house to house. This is a very small population, but that doesn't mean that H and Shooks aren't hold up in one of the homes there. I hope they're using dogs and I sure hope there's some news soon.

That feels like a dumb question, now that I think about it. They've got to be using K9's.
I'm exhausted and my mind is just running, wondering where H is and what's going on for her. We don't know just how dangerous this guy is, or has become at this point.

Hitting the hay and saying some serious prayers for H...God give us news soon!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nithila
Back