Match! TN - Campbell Co, HispFem 2097DFSC, 35-45, Jan'97 *Ada Torres Smith*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Me to on the second story link. The more I think about this the more peeved I get.

Sheriff Perkins knows where the information to solve Ada Elena's identity came from! That information was GIVEN to your dept. SHAME ON YOU! The TRUTH of how she was identified is a better story. Read all about it at the link below.
[URL]http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47516[/URL]

Maybe we should let them have the credit so maybe next time they will be more likely to listen to a tip from here since they will know from experience the work behind it is good and perhaps they will not be too angry to work with a websleuth. . . . . . just a thought.

Maybe we should let them have the credit so maybe next time they will be more likely to listen to a tip from here since they will know from experience the work behind it is good and perhaps they will not be too angry to work with a websleuth. . . . . . just a thought.
docwho3, I didn't even look at that way. I don't see why they wouldn't work with a WS'er or anyone else that calls them with potential information on a cold case. Every lead should be taken seriously and checked. It's their job. LE with anger, ego and attitude hinders getting a case solved, IMO. I thought the initial responses TPP got from LE was appalling. The cold case detective didn't even know who Ada was.

Mentioning TPP's efforts WOULD have made a better story. It would help families with missing loved ones to know caring people they don't even know are looking for their missing relative on their own time and own dime. Were I in that position, it would mean more to me having an ordinary citizen, not LE, help bring my loved one home. It wasn't their job, it's because they cared.

Thank you everyone for everything. I also think you should be getting the credit you deserve. I have talked with Blanca and will see if we can somehow see that you do get it.

I would like to mention to you that I go to another website that supports and informs people with Spinal Cord Injuries of research for us. I am a member there and I have posted about our Ada. Tonight I also posted there about you being the ones who actually helped in finding her. Also, that you should be the ones who should be given the credit. Blanca and I have been talking about setting up a memorial page for Ada on my website. In it I plan to give you all the credit you so deserve. We are still grieving our loss and attempting to do what is needed to bring her home for burial. All this is taking time but we will do it somehow.

Again, we wish to thank you for finding her for us. My plan now also includes attempting to help in whatever way I can in this site's endeavor. I don't know if I can make a big difference but I would like to at least make a bit of a dent here. If it is possible, I would like to know how I can start helping here. It would be a priviledge for me. Please let me know how I may help.

Lenore

Just read this from a news report. They are giving credit to Doe Network for finding Ada. If you read the comments, I posted mine there. Hope that they do something about it too. The link is the following .. http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=43710

Hello Auntie Lenore:). It is so good to meet you. We would love for you to be involved in helping us to help others. Welcome to websleuths, although I wish it were not under these circumstances.

You, dear Ada, and your family are in my thoughts and prayers, and I hope that everything you all need to do goes as smoothly and peacefully as can b expected. I am so very sorry for your loss, yet, I am happy that Ada has been found

Can you give us a link to your site? I would love to visit it.

Lion

Thank you for replying to my post. I am having a bit of a problem to go to sleep tonight although will will attempt to do so in a few minutes. Checked back here and was glad to see that someone had replied to me.

Thank you for your thoughtful replies and prayers. We do need everyones prayers, most of all at this time.

As per your request, LionRun, I will happy to give you my website's address. I am still working on it since I had to restart everything on it a few months ago. There are a few links there that are not working yet but I am doing my best to update them as fast as I can. My site is mainly dealing with poetry(which I love to read) written by me and am also working on putting other writers poetry. Also, I have been working on raising awareness on the dreaded virus Hepatitis C. Well, when you go to visit my site, you will see and read more about me and who I am. Hope that you enjoy your visit and what you find in my site. The url is .. www.ravensdreams.org .

Btw, I use the name "Raven" or "Raven Lenore" on my poetry and on most of the web.

Hope to have you visit me soon.

Lenore

Thank you for replying to my post. I am having a bit of a problem to go to sleep tonight although will will attempt to do so in a few minutes. Checked back here and was glad to see that someone had replied to me.

Thank you for your thoughtful replies and prayers. We do need everyones prayers, most of all at this time.

As per your request, LionRun, I will happy to give you my website's address. I am still working on it since I had to restart everything on it a few months ago. There are a few links there that are not working yet but I am doing my best to update them as fast as I can. My site is mainly dealing with poetry(which I love to read) written by me and am also working on putting other writers poetry. Also, I have been working on raising awareness on the dreaded virus Hepatitis C. Well, when you go to visit my site, you will see and read more about me and who I am. Hope that you enjoy your visit and what you find in my site. The url is .. www.ravensdreams.org .

Btw, I use the name "Raven" or "Raven Lenore" on my poetry and on most of the web.

Lenore

Hello Lenore:). I just visited your website, and I like it very much. It is very nice, and I hope for you that you get it totally up and running soon.

I train dogs and have been training dogs since I was ten. Some here know that I have trained some of my dogs for K9 Search and rescue. In fact, my lovely Jole' is expecting a litter around 4/26! I can't wait because I am keeping two. One I will train for human SAR, and the other for pet SAR. I recently lost my last SAR dog, Spirit, tragically. She was a retired SAR dog, and I will forever miss her.

However, I have also trained dogs for the mobility challenged and the hearing impaired. I have met and worked with some wonderful people and service dogs over the years. As a result I am somewhat familiar with some of the challenges that people with spinal chord injuries meet in their everyday lives. I've got some heartwarming stories, too.

All of us here at WS want to help others, and we all tried to match your dear Ada. But, it was Teons who who searched through all of the missing and unidentified to make the match. Teons Rocks like a diamond!

I have been working for months trying to find missing Roxanne Paltauf of Austin, TX. We have a thread here. I called Kilgore, TX Sherriff's office to tell them I had a possible match for an unidentified Princess Doe in there jurisdiction. I told them that the missing info was on The Doenetwork. The dispatcher had no idea what I was talking about. She never heard of www.doenetwork.org.

If you visit the site, you will see that they do so much good. Unfortunately, others at WS have said that much of LE has not heard of the doenetwork. The doenetwork.org has info, composites, and pictures of unidentified bodies, and they have lists of the missing. That is how Teons found your Ada.

I hope that you enjoy exploring all of the different topics and threads here. There are serious threads, and there are some fun ones, too. I am glad you are here.

Lion

Should anyone wish to email their displeasure with Sheriff Perkins
sheriffperkins@campbellcountygov.com

And the link to the website...
http://www.campbellcountysheriff.com/

Sadie, you are good. Thank you so much for the links. How about sleuthers? It is the principal. Teons didn't help in order to get something in return. What bothers me most is that they took credit for something when Teons was the reason they matched Ada. They may never have found Ada without her work.

I don't like dishonesty, and do not like when others take what is not theirs to take. I am open minded, and if I missing something, please forgive me. But, it seems like LE took something that didn't belong to them, and if it is true then this is not their shining moment, they are in the wrong--period.

Lion

Lenore

Lenore, I too welcome you to WS, but am sorry it is under these circumstances.

Your website is nice, and I especially enjoyed the poem "Journey". Your poems really come from the heart.

Take care.

More articles about Ada. I am so sad to learn that her murder not only left an empty space in the hearts of her family, but it also left her daughters without their mother.I am so glad that this is getting a lot of attention, but I wish they would quit calling it the Jane Doe Network. How are other people who are willing to help or families looking for loved ones supposed to find the site?

http://www.kdbc.com/news/local/6738531.html

http://www.kdbc.com/news/local/6760141.html

I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart. You and all who have in someway contributed in our family finding our precious Ada Elena. Thank you so very much. She was very much loved by us. We had searched and reported her but had been unsuccessful in finding her. May you all be blessed for letting us have the closure we needed.

Lenore

Dear Auntie/Lenore.

I am sorry for your loss. I am thankful you and your family are able to find closure. I pray that you see to it that something good comes of this.

When you feel comfy, I am sure the WS'rs (websleuthers) would like to hear your/Ada's 'story', what happened, how she disappeared, what you went through, did the authorities help, what changes need made, what happens now, ect.

May the Lord bless you and keep you, give you strengh, comfort and understanding through this time of grief.

Sadie, you are good. Thank you so much for the links. How about sleuthers? It is the principal. Teons didn't help in order to get something in return. What bothers me most is that they took credit for something when Teons was the reason they matched Ada. They may never have found Ada without her work.

I don't like dishonesty, and do not like when others take what is not theirs to take. I am open minded, and if I missing something, please forgive me. But, it seems like LE took something that didn't belong to them, and if it is true then this is not their shining moment, they are in the wrong--period.

Lion

I don't understand why any LE agency wouldn't welcome tips and information, but it seems like in situations like this they don't give it the attention that is required or blow it off as being some goofball on the internet. I think it was very poor judgment for the sheriff to take all the credit, and the person who was timelining their investigation - wow...way to toot your own horn. [sarcasm]

Oh, and welcome Auntie. :)

Just got an email from the reporter :)

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2007 5:08 PM
To: Christine
Subject: RE: The real story of how this case was solved

Thanks for sending your postings, I'll review them.

Ansley

Ansley Haman
Knoxville News Sentinel staff writer
(865) 342-6341

2332 News Sentinel Dr.
Knoxville, TN 37912-5761
knoxnews.com

More articles about Ada. I am so sad to learn that her murder not only left an empty space in the hearts of her family, but it also left her daughters without their mother. I am so glad that this is getting a lot of attention, but I wish they would quit calling it the Jane Doe Network. How are other people who are willing to help or families looking for loved ones supposed to find the site?

http://www.kdbc.com/news/local/6738531.html

http://www.kdbc.com/news/local/6760141.html

I understand how you feel, Teons. And, they have been around since 1999--8 years. Like I said before in another post, when I called Kilgore, TX a couple of weeks ago about a possible mach, the dispatcher had no idea who the doenetwork.org was. She seemed impatient and as if she wanted to blow me off. I convinced her to at least write it down.

Maybe you could request that they post the correct spelling and link. Really, though I think LE nationwide may need to learn about some informative sites like the doenetwork.org.

And, again Teons, thank you for caring so much about people you don't even know. You really helped a family this week.

Lion

Just got an email from the reporter :)

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2007 5:08 PM
To: Christine
Subject: RE: The real story of how this case was solved

Thanks for sending your postings, I'll review them.

Ansley

Ansley Haman
Knoxville News Sentinel staff writer
(865) 342-6341

2332 News Sentinel Dr.
Knoxville, TN 37912-5761
knoxnews.com

Thank you christine. Please keep us posted if she updates you.

Lion

Todd Matthews
Livingston, TN
Reply »
|
Flag
10 hrs ago

This case took some time, the original El Paso PD contact was actually on Jan 31st, 2007. I understand several people tried to process this match AFTER it was already being looked into and while we were waiting on confirmation. I saved the incident report to help create a time line of events.
Doe Network did in the mean time post the tattoo information that Dawn Workman got from El Paso PD. When the obvious tattoos were added to the Torres-Smith case file that more matches were made on the same case already being reviewed.
We kept quite we added the info to the Torres-Smith file and went about business as usual until we got word back from either El Paso or Campbell County.-Todd Matthews / Doe Network
Time Line
Jan 31, 2007 – Called Sgt. Raul Perez at El Paso Police Department (Texas) to obtain an NCIC for missing person (Torres-Smoth). I inquired as to why El Paso PD was handling the case if she was reported missing from South Carolina. He stated that he didn’t know but would check the missing persons report. Upon checking the missing persons report, he noted that she had been reported three times in all – twice in 1996 and once in 2000. He then asked if I had her tattoos listed. I replied that there was mention of a peacock tattoo in her case file. He stated that there were others and proceeded to list them. As he read the description of the missing person’s tattoos, I recognized them as being the same tattoos found on Delila Doe in Tennessee. I pulled up the case file and read back to him the UID’s tattoos to verify. He asked if the UID was deceased and I said she was. He asked if the homicide was solved or unsolved, and I stated that I believed it was unsolved but wasn’t sure. He then placed me on speaker phone with his supervisor in the room and I restated the information regarding the UID. Sgt. Perez then told me that the case was being turned over to the Homicide division and that Detective David Samaniego would be calling me. When Det. Samaniego called, he asked for a list of the UID’s tattoos, which I gave. He said he’d keep me in the loop. I called Todd Matthews (TN AD & USA Media Director) to provide him with the info. He passed on the detective in charge of Delila Doe and his contact information. I forwarded the information to Sgt. Perez, as well as the case file for Delila Doe and post-mortem photographs of the UID and her tattoos. Sgt. Perez sent an email confirming that he received the info.
Feb 1, 2007 – Sgt Perez called to get my full name, organization, organization’s address (I gave him Todd Matthew’s address), and my SSN for the report.
Feb 8, 2007 – Sgt Perez left a voice mail for me to call him
Feb 9, 2007 – I left a voice mail for Sgt Perez returning his call.
Feb 12, 2007 – I left a message for Sgt Perez, returning his call from the 8th.
Feb 14, 2007 – Sent Sgt Perez an email to follow up on the message from the 8th.
Feb 20, 2007 – Left a voice mail for Sgt Perez concerning the call from the 8th..
Mar 21, 2007 – Received a phone call from Det. Samaniego. He stated that they had pretty much identified their missing lady, and that they had fingerprints and TN had fingerprints, but they needed the fingerprint chart from TN. I told him that I would have to contact TN AD Todd Matthews for that info. I took his number to pass on to Todd. I called Todd and relayed the info, as well as Det. Samaniego’s phone number. Todd said he would get him the info that he needed.(Todd called Det. Farmer and left message regarding prints)
Mar 22, 2007 – Received call from Todd stating that the body was (officially) ID’d in relation to the missing person. He stated that once LE made the info public, he would publicize the information for DoeNetwork and that all Doe Admin members were made aware of the ID, and general members of DN would be informed by Admin once the ok was given by LE. Todd requested that my report of the occurrences be forwarded to him.
End Report -Dawn Workman / Texas AD - Doe Network

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=43710

The above is a quote from the comments on WBIR. I'm not sure but my impression is that it is written by someone from the police department. Somehow, I feel that this is not correct but am not certain of it. I will be speaking with Blanca and will have her see it so we can talk about it. I do recall having conversations with her about her attempts to report Ada from a long time ago. I don't think that she only called three times as the item above states. Will be posting again later after I talk with her and will attempt to have her register here and possibly post her answers to this comment.

Lenore

http://www.wbir.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=43710

The above is a quote from the comments on WBIR. I'm not sure but my impression is that it is written by someone from the police department. Somehow, I feel that this is not correct but am not certain of it. I will be speaking with Blanca and will have her see it so we can talk about it. I do recall having conversations with her about her attempts to report Ada from a long time ago. I don't think that she only called three times as the item above states. Will be posting again later after I talk with her and will attempt to have her register here and possibly post her answers to this comment.

Lenore

I spoke with totally different detectives about this case. It was a Detective Messer in El Paso that I spoke to regarding Ada and Detective Barton in Tennessee. Neither of them claimed to know about Ada. I explained that I volunteered with the doe network and that I thought I knew who the UID in Tennessee was and gave them the info that I had. Detective Barton and I spoke twice and he never once mentioned that an ID was already in the works. I don't mind if doe network takes all the credit, at least that puts the spot light on the site and hopefully will attract other volunteers.

Auntie... I would love to hear more about Ada. Who she was and what she liked. There is something about her story that has touched my heart and I hope that they find out who did this to her.

Hello Auntie, and welcome to Websleuths. My thoughts and prayers are with your family.

I know that Teons didn't do this for the glory of it, but it would be nice for her to get a little of the credit. Plus, it seems like that could really inspire other folks to do the same sort of thing in their spare time. I know that I wouldn't have thought about it without her example.

I'm sure that if a lot of people focused on checking and cross checking these sites, that it would be more work for LE fielding calls from people who think they may have matches. But it would also be like adding X number of people to their workforce for tracking things down. They don't have time to sift through the internet and do this.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
txtruecrimekat
Back