TN - Chris Newsom, 23, & Channon Christian, 21, murdered, Knoxville, 6 Jan 2007 #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know where I can watch the video of the reading of the death verdict?

:Banane35::thumb::genie::drink::martini::partyguy::toastred::toast:

I said yesterday if he got the DP, I would drink to that! Cheers everyone!!

:Banane35::thumb::genie::drink::martini::partyguy::toastred::toast:

I said a few days ago if he got the DP, I would drink to that! Cheers everyone!!

I'll have one too. Its quite a relief to know he will die for these crimes.

BBM.

http://www.volunteertv.com/home/headlines/67565022.html

Related Facts:
Jurors must unanimously agree before the death penalty can be issued.

89 people are on death row in Tennessee. (Davidson is the 90th.)

Only 6 of Tennessee's death row inmates are from Tennessee. (Davidson is the 7th.)

Davidson's half-brother, Letalvis Cobbins, was convicted of killing Channon Christian, but not Christopher Newsom.

Cobbins, who faced a jury from Davidson County, did not get the death penalty for his crimes.

Davidson specifically requested that his jury come from Knox County.

Both the Christians and the Newsoms expect more charges to be filed against carjack accessory Eric Boyd.

George Thomas and Vanessa Coleman are also set to stand trial for the January 2007 killings.

I'm not from Tennessee, so maybe there is some demographic issue i'm unaware of. But why was it so important to Davidson and his attys that he get a jury from Knox? It clearly seems to have backfired.

I dont know if the jurors will ever give interviews or not (I'm guessing maybe not since this was such a brutal experience for them, and for other reasons) but it would be interesting to know what they thought of the defense attornies trying to say that Channon had consensual sex with Davidson. Did that further enrage them? Make the defense attornies less credible on other issues? The idea that she had sex for drugs is just soooooo unbelievable that you'd think the attorneys or the client would have said "no, we can't try that."

BBM.

http://www.volunteertv.com/home/headlines/67565022.html

Related Facts:
Jurors must unanimously agree before the death penalty can be issued.

89 people are on death row in Tennessee. (Davidson is the 90th.)

Only 6 of Tennessee's death row inmates are from Tennessee. (Davidson is the 7th.)

Davidson's half-brother, Letalvis Cobbins, was convicted of killing Channon Christian, but not Christopher Newsom.

Cobbins, who faced a jury from Davidson County, did not get the death penalty for his crimes.

Davidson specifically requested that his jury come from Knox County.

Both the Christians and the Newsoms expect more charges to be filed against carjack accessory Eric Boyd.

George Thomas and Vanessa Coleman are also set to stand trial for the January 2007 killings.

It looks like Davidson should have chosen Davidson County. Well, he got what he asked for, literally.

I truly hope that Eric Boyd is charged with the murder and rape of Chris and Channon. I hope he doesn't slip through the cracks.

I dont know if the jurors will ever give interviews or not (I'm guessing maybe not since this was such a brutal experience for them, and for other reasons) but it would be interesting to know what they thought of the defense attornies trying to say that Channon had consensual sex with Davidson. Did that further enrage them? Make the defense attornies less credible on other issues? The idea that she had sex for drugs is just soooooo unbelievable that you'd think the attorneys or the client would have said "no, we can't try that."

The name of the jurors will become public record and they will be contacted for interviews. It will be up to them to give interviews or not. It will not take long. Right now they are still suffering from the shock of this trial. They will see the horrendous photos and hear the testimony in their sleep. Some will even seek professional help. They too, need time to heal.

We'll see what happens with Boyd. But I'm suspicious about his situation. I dont understand why he was charged in federal court at all. I am worried that the feds gave him some sort of deal. I have my own suspicions about what happened with him.

I wonder how it felt for Davidson to stand in front of the jury hearing the verdict (Death) and knowing everyone in that room wants to put him to death, nothing will ever compare to what he did to Chris and Channon, but it is nice to know he had to feel uncomfortable and a little fearful.

I am worried about the George Thomas and Vanessa Coleman cases coming up. I don't think either of them will get death, I am hopeful for LWOP. Anyone know of any evidence against them, I wonder if the gas can was ever checked for prints, or if the stickers from the back of the SUV was found for prints. I would love to know what Thomas's statement to the police has to say.

I'm not from Tennessee, so maybe there is some demographic issue i'm unaware of. But why was it so important to Davidson and his attys that he get a jury from Knox? It clearly seems to have backfired.

Davidson and his attorneys had the idea that a different version of the story, one that showed the victims in an unfavorable light, would infer that their lifestyle caused their murder. LD came up with the story where he left on his dope-selling run after "consensual sex" with Channon. Then his brother and the others did the killing.

Davidson's attorneys went along with it. In his closing argument, Eldridge claimed that the couple went to Chipman to buy drugs for the party with their friends in West Knoxville that night.

The story that Channon and Chris came to Chipman Street to buy drugs was supposed to reduce the great sympathy the victims and their parents had. The only evidence for this was from LD and his druggie friends. There were no cell phone records or reliable testimony that the couple knew Davidson.

Also, Davidson in his police interview said he had never seen them before and that his DNA would not be on Channon. It was, as well as his fingerprints on an envelope and other possesions.

The tactic of smearing the victims only served to upset the people of Knox County even more. Newsom had marijuana in his truck and tested for it in the toxicology report. Channon tested clean for drugs and had to pass drug screens to have her job.

The other suspects, Cobbins in particular, acknowledged the couple was carjacked and brought to Chipman Street.

I do hope the families of Channon and Chris found some comfort in the jury's decision. If I were in their shoes, I don't know that I would feel comfort, but perhaps a little bit of justice. After the sentence was read, it was hard to watch Mr. Newsome give his wife a soft kiss on the cheek. They have all been thru so much.
I still have to wonder what makes a disadvantaged kid turn into a LD. Was it one tramautic event? a series of events? anger building throughout his childhood?
We've all known people who have had hard lives growing up, yet they didn't turn into a LD. LD had more chances than most to turn it around. There were people who loved him and tried to help him. The others took advantage of the opportunities. He has no one to blame but himself for being where he is today.

I do hope the families of Channon and Chris found some comfort in the jury's decision. If I were in their shoes, I don't know that I would feel comfort, but perhaps a little bit of justice. After the sentence was read, it was hard to watch Mr. Newsome give his wife a soft kiss on the cheek. They have all been thru so much.
I still have to wonder what makes a disadvantaged kid turn into a LD. Was it one tramautic event? a series of events? anger building throughout his childhood?
We've all known people who have had hard lives growing up, yet they didn't turn into a LD. LD had more chances than most to turn it around. There were people who loved him and tried to help him. The others took advantage of the opportunities. He has no one to blame but himself for being where he is today.

Hound, I dont think we'll ever really know what turns a kid into and LD. As evidenced by the pysch that testified, psychology has no idea. I really dont think it has anything to do with a rough childhood. There are plenty of horrific people that had privileged childhoods as well.

I re-watched the video of the reading of the verdict and noticed 2 things of interest. After the first death senented is announced, as the foreman lists the aggravating circumstances LD is staring ahead, but as the foreman mentions the rape of Newsom, LD blinks repeatedly and then looks down. I believe that LD was the one, or was one of the people that did actually rape Newsom, and he is actually embarassed by it. Second, as the judge is discussing setting a hearing on sentencing of the other charges, LD begins to blink uncontrollably, looks up, squints, then down, and then scratches his cheek. I do believe he was close to crying, but stopped himself. Perhaps that is irrelevant and I know this man deserves to, and must, die. But I would pray for his soul if I believed that he actually had one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
somnus