TN - Holly Bobo, 20, Darden, believed abducted 13 April 2011 - #24

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Myself I just dont follow that line of reasoning. I have never ever heard of a real case where LE let someone keep a hostage for 6 weeks while they supposedly looked for more evidence. Look at all the police situations where cops even just think someone is in a house somewhere... first thing they do is bust down the door, have swat teams throw in flash bombs and gas, and raid the place. Even if no one was there... I dont know about the taunting part either. Only one piece of evidence has even been confirmed and identified and that was the lunch bag found on the first day or so of searching. Anything really aside from that is pure conjecture.

I agree with you. I think they call that exigent circumstances. Which basically means unusual situation that calls for urgent and immediate intervention. Rescuing a kidnapped woman certainly qualifies. Plus, if I recall correctly, the Supreme Court just recently ruled that police could force their way into someone's residence if they reasonably thought evidence was being destroyed. I would think Holly herself easily qualifies under that rule.

I did originally consider that scenario, and that they had no idea where she was being held. But the window for that situation has closed, I think. If they have a suspect in mind and haven't managed to follow that person to her location by now, that would suggest "they" abandoned her to save their own skins. With no food or water, sadly, Holly would certainly be dead by now.

my opinions only, no facts here:

Having said this, I will repeat myself for the umpteenth time, I believe that this case can be solved. It has solid elements of a crime by someone familiar with the family's schedule, and additional elements of a crime of passion.

No offense intended but this is hardly going out on a limb. Even the coldest cases can eventually be solved, given time and finding the right clue. I can give you an excellent example. It took 30 years to solve the Marcia Trimble case, but it was finally solved when LE got the one clue they needed: a DNA match obtained from solving a different case entirely.

Holly, what is happening....why haven't we heard anything about you in so long?

May 29.....tick, tick, tick.....

No offense intended but this is hardly going out on a limb. Even the coldest cases can eventually be solved, given time and finding the right clue. I can give you an excellent example. It took 30 years to solve the Marcia Trimble case, but it was finally solved when LE got the one clue they needed: a DNA match obtained from solving a different case entirely.

My opinions only, no facts here:

Good friend,

When I say solvable, I mean solvable in the short-term. This case exhibits elements of familiarity that suggest law enforcement is not looking for a serial abductor on a road trip who accidentally encountered Holly in her driveway. This is possible of course, but I would place the odds at 7 to 1 that this was planned or carried out by someone now known to authorities. Such circumstances lend a certain logical approach to the investigation that can lead to a timely resolution- if the investigators are aware. I admit that I sometimes make the mistake of assuming that my applications of crime analysis are being used by others when they are not.

This thread is being thrown Off topic. This isn't about our own sleuthing abilities. Get back on topic. Hinting or baiting is against TOS. Use links to back up your theories thanks.

Not to rehash this, but I was catching up reading through the comments and someone referred to the "things not as they appear" comment by LE. I always assumed this was a reference not to the case and any secret info, but the brother's initial impression that the boyfriend was with Holly. As in, the brother thought it was someone else, but "things aren't always as they appear" and it turned out to be an abductor.

The number one rule I have followed in criminal cases is:

THINGS ARE USUALLY AS THEY SEEM

In this case, I have no idea where to begin. When I let my mind wander, I don't like the path it follows.

The MOST confounding thing about this case is that we do not know.
Reminder to self: NEVER get lost in TN, the TBI will tell you nothing.

Does the TBI do this for concerns of privacy for LE/family/or just to shush up?

WE cannot know, or will not. Even LE friendly here, but the FACTS remain are:
TBI doesn't know cr@p. This is 2 out of 2 cases. They just don't know chit.
Now I understand the silence on their part. Wow, just nothing!

Thanks to the TBI---no one knows anything, or no longer cares. (am the only person in this thread now)

There has not been a peep about Bethany Decker, from Virginia, in months either...maybe this is the new way of dealing with missing persons cases, who knows...

Tennessee: the missing

Gail Palmgren.......30 days
Holly Bobo...........47 days
Shelley Mook........91 days

Not to rehash this, but I was catching up reading through the comments and someone referred to the "things not as they appear" comment by LE. I always assumed this was a reference not to the case and any secret info, but the brother's initial impression that the boyfriend was with Holly. As in, the brother thought it was someone else, but "things aren't always as they appear" and it turned out to be an abductor.

My take on the "things aren't always as they appear" will probably sound bizarre.... that LE purposely requested lots of volunteers (remember the great numbers requested early on) as a way to see the reaction of some locals they had under suspicion. I was even thinking they had the brother check out any they thought he might be able to ID as the person he saw that morning...

Last night I was awake in bed, thinking of young women who have vanished and media falls away, if indeed they ever had any...Brittanee Drexel, Bethany Decker, Kara Kopetsky, and others...Bethany lost the media very quickly for a young pregnant mom, especially. I am drawing the conclusion that if nothing new comes up, the story is simply dropped. If LE is not providing the media with press conferences or updates, the media does not seek out the story. And if the family does not contact the media (or respond when media contacts them) again, the media moves on.

I really do not see a conspiracy or a town or LEA hiding anything here; I think LE is stumped as to what happened to Holly and rumors will always fly, in the gap left by lack of facts.

I wish the model of the police who handled the abduction of Brittany Smith, the 12-yr old taken away after her mom was murdered, was the new "normal" for missing persons. They constantly spoke to the media/public, gave out info, kept B's face in the news constantly until she was spotted thousands of miles away. Because LE was open and talking, the national news kept up with the story daily, if not even more frequently.

I know that in this case, (Holly's), LE lacks the name and a good description of the suspect or any vehicle, but does that have to mean dropping Holly from the news altogether? Or Bethany Decker? Or any of the other girls/young women who are missing?

The media and public only have a limited amount of "space" in their reports and in their brains, and I do think the so-called squeaky wheel getting the grease saying is somewhat true...someone, either LE or family, needs to push the story if indeed they want or need help in finding Holly.

Last night I was awake in bed, thinking of young women who have vanished and media falls away, if indeed they ever had any...Brittanee Drexel, Bethany Decker, Kara Kopetsky, and others...Bethany lost the media very quickly for a young pregnant mom, especially. I am drawing the conclusion that if nothing new comes up, the story is simply dropped. If LE is not providing the media with press conferences or updates, the media does not seek out the story. And if the family does not contact the media (or respond when media contacts them) again, the media moves on.

I really do not see a conspiracy or a town or LEA hiding anything here; I think LE is stumped as to what happened to Holly and rumors will always fly, in the gap left by lack of facts.

I wish the model of the police who handled the abduction of Brittany Smith, the 12-yr old taken away after her mom was murdered, was the new "normal" for missing persons. They constantly spoke to the media/public, gave out info, kept B's face in the news constantly until she was spotted thousands of miles away. Because LE was open and talking, the national news kept up with the story daily, if not even more frequently.

I know that in this case, (Holly's), LE lacks the name and a good description of the suspect or any vehicle, but does that have to mean dropping Holly from the news altogether? Or Bethany Decker? Or any of the other girls/young women who are missing?

The media and public only have a limited amount of "space" in their reports and in their brains, and I do think the so-called squeaky wheel getting the grease saying is somewhat true...someone, either LE or family, needs to push the story if indeed they want or need help in finding Holly.

I think this case is more complex than most. I think LE has a lot of info even if they are struggling to decipher it. The demand of silence from everyone, including family and media outlets (such as the pulled TV shows), shows me that something is going on that is beyond the norm.

I have to think that LE knows one of two things for sure:
1. That Holly is alive. Either they have spoken with her or had contact with her or her abductor. They know she is living and do not think she will be killed, even if she might not be well....or even if she is being held against her will. LE is trying to figure out where she is and who has her.

2. That Holly is dead. There is no rush to find her....they are laying a complete, methodical case against a perp, while searching for Holly's body, which they need for evidence.

I think this case is more complex than most. I think LE has a lot of info even if they are struggling to decipher it. The demand of silence from everyone, including family and media outlets (such as the pulled TV shows), shows me that something is going on that is beyond the norm.

I have to think that LE knows one of two things for sure:
1. That Holly is alive. Either they have spoken with her or had contact with her or her abductor. They know she is living and do not think she will be killed, even if she might not be well....or even if she is being held against her will. LE is trying to figure out where she is and who has her.

2. That Holly is dead. There is no rush to find her....they are laying a complete, methodical case against a perp, while searching for Holly's body, which they need for evidence.

I know links were posted and/or quotes from the radio show, but I do not take it that anyone was told not to talk about the case by LE. This is just my "take" on it.

The only ways that publicity can help is to find a still-living abduction victim, to alert people to be vigilant about searching in likely areas where victims' bodies can be found, to disseminate "be on the lookout for" regarding perpetrators or vehicles or other artifacts, or to keep pressure on the perpetrator. My guess (and this is all it is) would be that LE thinks Holly's case is local and they have suspects in mind. It would not be surprising if they believe she is dead. But "things aren't always as they appear," so who knows?

As this case gets colder and colder I worry about another young woman being taken in that area. With LE keeping everything so close to their chest, it could backfire on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member