TN TN - Karen Swift, 44, Dyersburg, 30 Oct 2011 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate to respond with my life's experience but ironically, I just watched 1 man dig a hole 2'x2'x2' in minutes, somewhere it's been an average of -10C for approx. 10 days...

...just saying.

One way to figure out if the ground ever becomes frozen is to look at whether it's normal to have basements. Basements are necessary in places where the ground freezes. The house didn't appear to have a basement as there were no below grade windows anywhere along the front and one side of the house.

I lived in Nashville and houses there didn't have basements because of the rock...requires too much blasting to put in a basement. Don't know if western TN is the same or not.

I lived in Nashville and houses there didn't have basements because of the rock...requires too much blasting to put in a basement. Don't know if western TN is the same or not.

Thanks ... it's probably the same. If the ground doesn't normally become frozen, then I think it is within the timeline for him to dig a shallow grave and still have time to leave the car 1/4 mile from the house at 5 AM.

Digging a shallow grave suggests a little pre-planning, like packing a shovel with the body before driving off to hide the body. Phone, clothes, car and body all in different locations ... what random murderer takes time to do all that? What random murderer takes time to bury someone in/near a cemetery ... that's a bit bizarre.

Where are we getting that she was in a shallow grave? Sorry, haven't read all the articles because links didn't work on most, but if workmen found the body, they wouldn't have been digging in the ground to look for it, would they? She may have been partially concealed in some woods for all we know.

Random killers don't usually take the time to bury their victims, they will dump the body in the woods and sometimes cover it with leaves. But spouses will do everything they can to hide the body, either bury it or throw it in a lake or river. If she was on top of the ground, not in a grave... my guess is the husband didn't do it. He would not want her to be found so easily.

It looks like it was below freezing a couple of times so it could have snowed, but the ground wouldn't have been frozen ... what do you think?

Yes, it has snowed here a couple times but the ground was not frozen enough for it to stick. The weather is typically erratic: one day it's 70 degrees and the next day it may be 44. Snow flurries may be one day and a few days later it's flip-flop weather.

Where are we getting that she was in a shallow grave? Sorry, haven't read all the articles because links didn't work on most, but if workmen found the body, they wouldn't have been digging in the ground to look for it, would they? She may have been partially concealed in some woods for all we know.

Random killers don't usually take the time to bury their victims, they will dump the body in the woods and sometimes cover it with leaves. But spouses will do everything they can to hide the body, either bury it or throw it in a lake or river. If she was on top of the ground, not in a grave... my guess is the husband didn't do it. He would not want her to be found so easily.

If we assume it was Karen, then I definitely think this crime was by someone known to her. I presume that the perpetrator didn't bury or semi-bury her out in the open area of the cemetery (it would look too obvious if the ground was freshly disturbed), but rather in the wooded area beside. Even if the perp brought a shovel along, he might have been in a rush and experienced a few obstacles like large rocks and tree roots. I could see him digging a shallow indentation (or scooping out a shallow indentation if he didn't have a shovel) and then throwing loose dirt and vegetation over her. With the rains and wild life her body could have easily become exposed. (P.S. I noticed that there is a flood warning today for southwestern TN, including Dyer County.)

Regarding the dogs and whether they hit on Karen's car, I am guessing that they were search dogs, not cadaver dogs. I believe that they didn't find her scent leading away from the spot where her car was found, but that is probably because she wasn't in it when it was parked there. She had already been left elsewhere. :(

How long after a death can cadaver dogs find a scent? I presume that they could still do that test now, if they haven't already?

The ground would have frozen and thawed a few times, but it has been really cold in TN with temps in the low 30s at night for several weeks. We've had some rain, but it's been a cold rain, and the Memphis area had a snow and ice storm the other day.

Contrary to Nancy Grace's statement that Dyersburg is a "suburb" of Memphis, the snow/ice that was prevalent recently went more toward southwest TN...Lauderdale, Tipton, and Shelby Counties. True there was snow, but no ice here and the snow did not stick. School was not dismissed. If there is the least bit of ice, school will be dismissed due to most students riding school buses.

I don't think the ground has been frozen yet. It's mostly been wet and kind of messy. Would be very easy to dig a shallow grave.

Not the news I wanted to wake up to. How soon before they identify the body? Also, is this area any where close to where the Bobo family live?

How soon before we know more? :(

Not the news I wanted to wake up to. How soon before they identify the body? Also, is this area any where close to where the Bobo family live?

How soon before we know more? :(

They are saying they will have an official id on Monday.

Not close to the Bobos. Very doubtful that this is in any way related to Holly.

I don't understand the delay in identifying the body. I realize it was decomposed but with DNA the process shouldn't take 3 - 4 days. In the article Tara posted it says Monday OR Tuesday?

I don't understand the delay in identifying the body. I realize it was decomposed but with DNA the process shouldn't take 3 - 4 days. In the article Tara posted it says Monday OR Tuesday?

I suppose that the coroner or medical examiner will need to examine the body and do an autopsy, in order make the final determination and file the paperwork. If it is not a big office, it probably doesn't operate 7 days a week. I don't know for sure, but there could be things that need to be done before it even goes to the coroner. They won't release any information until everything is over and done with and they are sure of their findings.

If this is her it just increased, for me, the probability of the perp being known to her. A random killer is going to be less concerned with taking the time to bury her as he won't be worried about being personally connected to her... Imo

I hope, if it's her, that there is some evidence remaining...

Praying for her children this morning ..

This is very sad. However, if this is indeed Karen, I am glad that they have found her and justice can move forward. People are disappearing all the time and I still see the perps roaming free as the body has not been found.

Praying for Karen's family.

If this is her it just increased, for me, the probability of the perp being known to her. A random killer is going to be less concerned with taking the time to bury her as he won't be worried about being personally connected to her... Imo

True, but none of the articles actually say if the body was buried or not. I think there is a lot of speculation and brain-storming, right now, while we all anxiously await the final determination from the medical examiner and LE.

I don't think it has been stated anywhere that she was buried ... that's just a question or a speculation.

I think the stronger point for it being someone close to her is that the car, body, clothes and phone were all put in different locations. That, to me, suggests some effort to confuse investigators and stage the crime scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop