TN TN - Kathy Jones, 12, Nashville, 29 Nov 1969 #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
You probably missed my earlier posts, but I've been researching the properties. Haven't quite put the picture together in a way I can present here. I *think* there were two houses on that stretch of property, but not the rear parking lot. So add a couple of houses, take away a parking lot, and push the building closer to the street. It's a wash, if you kwim.

I was very curious about the adult bookstore, and can now say with a fairly high degree of certainty that it was not there in 1969. Still trying to confirm. I haven't said anything because without answers it sounds like baiting. I did want to let you know that you're not the only one who's noticed it.

Oh Bessie, so glad to know that you are focusing on this! Thanks, I did miss that in the thread -- maybe 'cause I joined in a little late and started reading fast to catch up. You guys were already really at it when I chimed in.

-- It's really bugging me trying to get a sense of how secluded those lot(s) were. I can't see that business on the corner ever being a house -- and it looks pretty dated. There are up to 4 (maybe even 5) address numbers that cover that space between 2802 Grandview and the KK (which would have a Thompson Lane address). Of course, sometimes streets have double lots which would account for the skipping of numbers.
On another note, I am trying to piece together what businesses Kathy would have passed by that night on her walk towards the skating rink. Personally, I don't think she ever got to Thompson Lane on her own. I'm looking for circa 1960s photos of Nolensville Pike. So wish that I knew her precise route. I keep going back to the report that she was seen along Nolensville Pike with her skates. That's the last documented place she was seen alive. But, one of the many questions is where on Nolensville Pike she was seen that night.

After studying the google map at street level, (if well lit) then I can so see how Kathy would have walked up to Nolensville from her house, turned left for a block and then right onto Woodbine for a block or so and take a left down Grandview straight to her destinations on Thompson Lane. If we only knew where on Nolensville she was seen we could better gauge her path.

You guys will have to take a look at this link and see what you think about it. It's an image from 1951. Starting from McClain, there are three houses in a row, a vacant lot, another small house, a walkway connecting Grandview and the alley, and then the commercial property where KK sits. That's what I see, anyway. Someone with better eyes might see more detail.

It's a little tricky, so you might have to play around with the controls a little bit. The zoom is at the bottom of the map. Click on "overlays" and select "all roads" to see the street names.

http://www.historicaerials.com/aeri...1115721164052&lon=-86.7468142688424&year=1951

***We can link to this image, but please do not post screenshots.***

This is off-topic, please skip if you're not interested -- I just thought maybe others were wondering, as I was:

OK, I couldn't figure out why we have Krystals in Georgia and Nashville has White Castles --especially since Krystal started out in Chattanooga! So sleuthed it a bit -- thought answer was kind of interesting! Seems Nashville has both!

...White Castle, inventors of the slyder, was the very first hamburger chain, born in Wichita in 1921. Krystal began in Chattanooga 11 years later. Ever since, the two chains have drawn their own version of the Mason-Dixon Line ....White Castle can be found in 11 Midwestern and Northern states; Krystal in 12 throughout the South. The only two states where you can find both? Kentucky and Tennessee. And in Nashville is the spot where the two are closer together than perhaps anywhere else on earth....

more at: http://www.cheese-burger.net/stories/krystal-v-white-castle.html

OK, sorry ...carry on!!

Searchin', I might have read your earlier post incorrectly, and I'd like to get this straight in my head. From reading, and looking at maps and photos, I understand White Castle is on the site of the old Gulf Station -- the SW corner of Nolensville and Thompson.

Across Nolensville, on the SE corner, is the Nissan dealership. The Nissan showroom is approximately where Kroger formerly stood.

The NE corner is Coleman Park

The NW corner is Walgreen's, and next to it on Thompson, the check cashing place and KK.

If that much is correct, then I think I can fill in a few more blanks.

Thanks!
Bessie: you do have the landmarks in the correct locations.

Nola: I agree with December about the adult bookstore. I remember hearing some folks talking about it in the '90s. I don't think it was there any earlier.

Bessie!!!
That is so cool! I think that I am seeing several structures along Grandview Ave...one just behind where the kk would have been (closer to the street), and two additional houses/ building (a total of 3) further down after the empty lot/lots.
Is that what you see?

bessie, you're amazing sometimes! I mean -- joke a bit and say "now get us an aerial photo" ... and bessie gets an aerial photo.

December, I'm sure you've thought about how the "anniversary" of Kathy's murder is coming up next month.

I wonder, with your new contact at LE, if there might be a way you could work some LE/media cooperation and get some coverage for her case around then?

I know you've said the subject has been almost "off limits" in parts of your family in the past. What about now? Do you think the surviving members of your family would be supportive of some coverage, asking for tips, etc.?

ETA: If this happened, maybe a reporter could get busy and round you up a photo or two of Kathy -- even from an elementary school yearbook or something.

I just wish it was the right year, BW, or at least a little closer to 1969.

Nola, I see three houses at the McClain end, and one near the KK next to the walkway. In any case, you can see how the area from McClain to Thompson was larger than it is today. So even with 3-4 houses, the empty lot was pretty big.

You guys will have to take a look at this link and see what you think about it. It's an image from 1951. Starting from McClain, there are three houses in a row, a vacant lot, another small house, a walkway connecting Grandview and the alley, and then the commercial property where KK sits. That's what I see, anyway. Someone with better eyes might see more detail.

It's a little tricky, so you might have to play around with the controls a little bit. The zoom is at the bottom of the map. Click on "overlays" and select "all roads" to see the street names.

http://www.historicaerials.com/aeri...1115721164052&lon=-86.7468142688424&year=1951

Great find, Bessie!!! Looks like I'll be up all night checking this out!

I just wish it was the right year, BW, or at least a little closer to 1969.

Nola, I see three houses at the McClain end, and one near the KK next to the walkway. In any case, you can see how the area from McClain to Thompson was larger than it is today. So even with 3-4 houses, the empty lot was pretty big.

I wonder if a Geographical Survey Map of the area, or a photo-update of one, was done anytime close to 1969?

I know, over on Carlene's thread, I found and linked the set of aerial pictures from which a somewhat-timely map of the pertinent area of Macon was created or updated -- now if I could just remember HOW I found it...

1970's era video driving through the old Thompson Lane Tunnel

Just at the end of the video you can see the Krispy Kreme sign ahead and to the left

I checked all the other youtube videos from that person (he has over 100) but they appear to be all live concert videos except this one

See additional picture below .... it shows the K-Kreme sign

The old Thompson Lane Tunnel / Underpass in Nashville Tennessee - YouTube
Arnie: Thanks for the video. It's interesting to note that the car is turning into Famous State Sales (currently Performance Studios) which is where RD would have been located!

Arnie: Thanks for the video. It's interesting to note that the car is turning into Famous State Sales (currently Performance Studios) which is where RD would have been located!

I think the poster (of the video on YouTube) might have said he/she skated there as a kid...? (Either the poster did, or a commenter -- the poster, I think.) Maybe someone should post a comment and ask if he/she recalls Kathy's murder...? Sounds like it might have been in about the right timeframe?

I dunno -- would that be weird?

Thanks searchin' ..... I copied the info from the youtube site .... he (she) used to skate there as a kid .... wonder if they have any more videos or photos from back then

Uploaded on Aug 31, 2010

Video taken on January 1, 1984 of the old 2-lane underpass on Thompson Lane in Nashville Tennessee. The tunnel runs between 100 Oaks/Vanderbilt and Nolensville Road. The trains from nearby Radnor Yards go over the tunnel. Going into the tunnel Shoneys was on the right. The tunnel is somewhat lit up in the video, although only one light bulb hung down when I was a kid. You risk your life to walk through the tunnel as their was no sidewalk in it. Cars used to always honk there horn when going through this tunnel. Coming out of the tunnel you see the old Firestone on the right, no longer there. You see Famous State Sales in the building where Performance Studios is now, which was once the old Roller Drome Skating Rink (a place I skated as a kid). Then you see the original Siam Cafe, which moved many years ago. Ray Batts Furniture was on the left side of the street. Video taken by Pat Adams from ww.TennesseeConcerts.com

Something else catches my attention...looking at Nolensville Pike Road, this aerial view looks like the structures between Thompson Lane and up to Central Avenue appear to be residences. That would mean that there were homes behind the empty lot -- the alley would have run along the backs of those properties/ fronts facing Nolensville. Then further up Nolensville back up to Lutie the structures appear larger and more likely to have been commercial businesses.
There appear to be residences (three) opposite the empty lot on Grandview, too.

That's just wild. Now if only we could take a ride with Marty McFly in Doc's Delorean. :)

ujn5.jpg

http://wallpaperbackgrounds.com/wallpaper/33459

This is off-topic, please skip if you're not interested -- I just thought maybe others were wondering, as I was:

OK, I couldn't figure out why we have Krystals in Georgia and Nashville has White Castles --especially since Krystal started out in Chattanooga! So sleuthed it a bit -- thought answer was kind of interesting! Seems Nashville has both!

more at: http://www.cheese-burger.net/stories/krystal-v-white-castle.html

OK, sorry ...carry on!!
That is interesting (if a little OT) because I always wondered why we didn't have White Castle in New Orleans. What we did have here was a local chain called Royal Castle. OMG! Those little burgers were heavenly with a frosty mug of birch beer, RC's unbelievably delicious version of root beer. The burgers were hand made, round patties, but served on the same kind of square bun with the onions and pickle. :lick:

Enough with food nostalgia! Next think you know, I'll be driving over to KK. :D

Excellent find bessie .... WOW .... !!

At first glance I see the vacant lot behind KK ... maybe one tree on it .... then McClain ave ... then across McClain is a building ... and beyond that a much larger vacant lot that almost fits the description of one reporter who said KJ was found in a "heavily treed field behind KK"

Makes me wonder if that is the location ... it would make more sense because it is more remote ..... just a guess .

I tried to look at the 1966 and 1971 versions but it has to be purchased ... depending on the cost I may do that some time next week .... but I want permission to publish it here if they will allow it ..... in the meantime I am away for a day or two

Again I say ... great find bessie .... !!!!!..... we should give you a raise ... !!!!!! :)

Excellent find bessie .... WOW .... !!

At first glance I see the vacant lot behind KK ... maybe one tree on it .... then McClain ave ... then across McClain is a building ... and beyond that a much larger vacant lot that almost fits the description of one reporter who said KJ was found in a "heavily treed field behind KK"

Makes me wonder if that is the location ... it would make more sense because it is more remote ..... just a guess .

I tried to look at the 1966 and 1971 versions but it has to be purchased ... depending on the cost I may do that some time next week .... but I want permission to publish it here if they will allow it ..... in the meantime I am away for a day or two

Again I say ... great find bessie .... !!!!!..... we should give you a raise ... !!!!!! :)
:D

You can always post it off site with google, photobucket, etc., and link to it.

bessie, you're amazing sometimes! I mean -- joke a bit and say "now get us an aerial photo" ... and bessie gets an aerial photo.

AMEN TO THAT !!!! .... I am a helicopter pilot and I cant do half the stuff our bessie can .... :)

Don't know if there is anything that might be helpful among the four pages of aerial Nashville-area views here ...

http://digital.library.nashville.org/cdm/search/collection/nr/searchterm/aerial/order/nosort

...probably not, or bessie would have sleuthed it out already!

But if some of you who know the city have a spare moment to check, there it is. I am just not knowledgeable enough about the area to make heads or tails of what might be in the right area for our purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne