TN TN - Lauryn Dickens, 9 mos, Memphis, 7 Sept 2010 - *S. Dickens guilty*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I wonder if they are still looking for this baby?

Thanks for all the posts in response to my frustration...I needed to hear all of those comments. I'm still frustrated, but a couple of things stood out...which I really needed to see / hear!

1. We don't necessarily KNOW whether they're searching or not...we're just not hearing about it...if they are.
2. While it's no "excuse", the circumstances surrounding crime in the city, play a part in this...whether I / we like it or not...it is...what it is.

So...for today...there's an article...YAY! It looks as if only 1 station picked it up...but, 1 is better than none!
Anywho...the mother was back in court today, it appears...and has a lawyer now also. (I might've missed the lawyer part somewhere before...but this is the first "I've" seen of it...as I remember).

<snipped>
With baby still missing, Memphis mother appears in court

MEMPHIS, TN (WMC-TV) - Nearly a month after 10-month-old Lauryn Dickens disappeared, her mother appeared in court Friday on charges in connection with her disappearance.

Even as Shakara Dickens appeared in court, investigators were no closer to finding the location of her baby.

Dickens has hired attorney Murray Wells.

"They're coming together and sort of closed themselves up and taking this time," Wells said. "It's really almost a mourning time for them to kind of understand what's happened to this family."

Dickens will be back in court October 21st for a preliminary hearing, where the state will have to show probable cause.

http://www.wmctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13254703

BBM - The "mourning" statement from her lawyer, speaks volumes...IMO. Also, I'll be waiting and watching for the October 21st hearing...we should learn some more information / details; that haven't been shared yet; re: search efforts, evidence, etc.
I'm holding on and praying for justice for this beautiful little girl.

I totally didn't see that you had posted this article a few days ago, and now I can't edit my post :blushing: I guess it's not too bad since it bumped her thread back from the second page. Where are you, Lauryn?

On now.

Thinking murder charges are being handed down.

What has changed?
She hired a lawyer. Lawyer does not think there is enough evidence for murder charges.

Looking at 42 years on charges.
Aggrevated child neglect and endangerment as well as false reporting.

Cadavar dogs alerted at the home outside and inside.
They do not need a body to charge the mother with murder.

She was on the phone that day saying she no longer wanted to take care of Lauryn.

just watching nancy, I m glad this chic is being charged but Im surprised how fast they handed down an arrest because the Mccanns some how avoided getting arrested all together and the cadaver dogs HIT ON THEIR HIRE CAR AND THE ROOM MADDIE WAS LAST IN....

I hope this girl really did give baby away and she has not passed but it doesnt look good. I just cant beleive how fast this girl got charges and put in jail before but maybe LE has evidence were not aware of.

My oppinion only....

just watching nancy, I m glad this chic is being charged but Im surprised how fast they handed down an arrest because the Mccanns some how avoided getting arrested all together and the cadaver dogs HIT ON THEIR HIRE CAR AND THE ROOM MADDIE WAS LAST IN....

I hope this girl really did give baby away and she has not passed but it doesnt look good. I just cant beleive how fast this girl got charges and put in jail before but maybe LE has evidence were not aware of.

My oppinion only....

I hope they charge the mother and I don't care what her lawyer says, we don't know what the evidence is yet, but the mom and grandma's actions speak volumes.

I still can't believe how little attention this case is getting :banghead:

LAURYN DICKENS, Age Now: 10 Month(s), Missing: 09/07/2010. Missing From MEMPHIS, TN. ANYONE HAVING INFORMATION SHOULD CONTACT: Memphis Police Department (Tennessee) 1-901-545-2677.

More...

I mentioned the case to some Memphis relatives and they hadn't heard of it at all.

I don't know why this case isn't getting more attention, either. It's frustrating, this is a child! A baby who didn't ask to be born but deserved to be loved. If her mother couldn't love her then she should let her be raised by someone who could!!!

I'm glad the mother is being charged. I hope she talks.

Poor Lauryn.

I mentioned the case to some Memphis relatives and they hadn't heard of it at all.

I don't know why this case isn't getting more attention, either. It's frustrating, this is a child! A baby who didn't ask to be born but deserved to be loved. If her mother couldn't love her then she should let her be raised by someone who could!!!

I'm glad the mother is being charged. I hope she talks.

Poor Lauryn.

Maybe there will be more news about Lauryn now that the Lester St massacre murder trial is over. (The killer was found guilty of 6 counts of 1st degree murder today and 3 attempted murders).
This has been dominating our local news for the past 2 weeks.
I'm glad Nancy Grace is at least giving Lauryn some media coverage.

I had read in an article that Shakara Dickens had a prelim hearing yesterday, so I did a little looking around and found her case info on the Shelby County TN Clerk of Courts. Looks like her prelim hearing was continued to 11/17, or the 10/21 court date was incorrectly called a preliminary hearing by the media, and yesterday was just a court appearance of some sort :

Shelby County Clerk of Courts

(GS case history, name search, Shakara Dickens)

Still same charges, bond still $2M.

Charge #1: AGGRAVATED CHILD ABUSE-CHILD U/6

Charge #2:FALSE OFFENSE REPORT

Nothing current about Lauryn in the news, though :( Reading the old articles, it sounds like they are waiting for DNA to come back. You'd think that would have happened by now, though. I wonder if they are even still searching for this little baby??

Shakara Dickens, mother of missing Lauryn Dickens was in court today and her jailed boyfriend the father of Lauryn was there too.
He said her story about him telling Shakara "to give the baby to some white woman" was a lie.
The grand jury may now be indicting her on murder charges even if a body is never found. LE feels the child is no longer alive.
story:
http://www.wmctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13521706
and a video clip at same link.

Missing baby case to be heard by grand jury

The mysterious case of a missing baby will be heard by a Shelby County grand jury.

Shakara Dickens, 19, was locked up in September after claiming she gave her baby to a stranger. The baby, Lauryn Dickens, was never found, and now a grand jury will decide what happens next.

[snip]

Prosecutors said murder charges are possible against Shakara Dickens, even if a body is never found.

Lauryn Dickens has not been seen since September 6th. Her first birthday would have been one week from today.

Shakara Dickens remains in jail on a $2 million bond.

More: http://www.wmctv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13521706

Val wrote an awesome piece on Lauryn today. Thanks Val. She makes a great point that essentially if you aren't a pretty white female, the media forgets you pretty quickly. Such a shame.

http://www.thehinkymeter.com/2010/11/19/lauryn-dickens-case-erased-in-more-ways-than-one/

-snip-

Lauryn should have been 1 year old this week. But she has been erased. And she hasn’t just been erased by, apparently, her mother – just as Caylee was by her mother, but by the media. Unlike the Caylee Anthony case, the report of this week’s hearing is really the first news we’ve heard on missing Lauryn Dickens in over a month. Unlike Caylee Anthony, who was erased in life, but not in the focus of the media or citizens demanding to know where she was and what had happened to her, Lauryn was erased and pretty quickly forgotten by the media. There has been no Nancy or Jane ranting for justice in the name of this little missing girl and keeping her name in the forefront so that the unacceptable situation of her still being missing (unrecovered) can get the focus it needs.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Anonymousangel444
Back