Found Safe TN - Mary Catherine Elizabeth Thomas, 15, Maury County, 13 March 2017 #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
One sad aspect of this case that I keep thinking about is ET was probably seeking freedom yet is now burdened by the many restrictions of living in hiding. It is incredibly sad to me. A life on the run seems like a life of very limited freedoms. Even simple acts that we take for granted such as walking into a store take on an element of danger if you are on the run. The whole thing is sadly ironic.

I hope that she grows so disenchanted with life in hiding that she finds the courage to save herself by exposing her identity in a public space. I do not think life on the run with someone generations older then yourself would be a recipe for happiness. Surely she will find a way to slip away. When she is ready, I think we will find her.

My worry is that he has convinced her that she will face horrible consequences if she returns. I think this might be a way TC has created the illusion of its "us against the world" in her mind. I hope that she is able to understand that her loved ones and the LE just want her safe return.

So heartbreaking. I wish ET could know how many people--people whom she has never met--care about her well-being.

I have wondered about this all along.

Apparently the mother's abuse of her children has been going on for some time. With the type of home life that has been reported the Thomas children lived in, how did the mother have the patience ńeeded to homeschool the children?

Homeschooling takes a lot of time, preparation, organization, and an education oneself. With 10 children, where did ET's mother find time to run a house
as well as keep all her children under her wings?

I homeschooled all three of mine so I’ll venture a few possibilities. Homeschooled our son 5th through High School and our daughters the whole way. There are a lot of approaches to homeschooling and I’ve seen a few successes, but some epic fails as well. A lot depends on the homeschool educator’s intent. I went into it because I was confident in my ability and had a keen desire to do everything possible to do it right. I also loved being with my children and watching them love learning. Unfortunately, that is not always the case. Some parents do it as a way to escape the oversight of others and the school, to avoid the homework and carpools etc. and the children are educationally neglected. Some call themselves unschoolers and this casts a bad light on the true unschoolers who approach education via means other than traditional books, rote learning and typical schedules, but they work very hard to cover all that by other methods. It is also known as ‘child led’ learning. The child follows their interests and learns. It can leave huge gaps in my opinion. It wasn’t my cup of tea, but I won’t judge.

According to ET’s sister, the mother was uninvolved, but the children went to church a lot. It may be possible that they went to Homeschool Co-op classes. Those are classes taught by other homeschool educators or teachers hired by the Co-op to teach once a week. I personally participated in about four different ones and wasn’t terribly impressed by the actual academics, but we used them as one of our vehicles for socialization. If ET and her sibs belonged to a couple of Co-ops, she may have been able to get enough to get her by. Or it is possible that ET was given access to the material and taught herself. I have seen some very self-motivated homeschool students do that.

There is also Virtual School and this may be the most likely way ET was homeshooled. Many states have an option through public school called Virtual and it is free. It is delivered over a computer platform and every class imaginable is offered. There is regular contact with a teacher via phone conference with the student and the parent. They are, in general, good classes. We did a few virtual courses in our homeschool as well. One of mine did 2 years of Latin and my girls did 2 years of Spanish. They also did the driver training (book portion). One did a year of guitar as well. They offer all the traditional courses too, through advanced literature, history and mathematics. We covered those at home, so didn’t partake. Many homeschoolers take a full virtual load though and that is how they choose to do the homeschooling. Basically, the parent is there to make sure they are on the pc and moving in a productive direction. It is also easy for parents to fall down on that task and if that is the case, the student could get behind. I’ve seen many students burn out on a full virtual school load. IMO there is a lot of ‘fluffy, time wasting’ type activity thrown in and it adds up to a lot of time spent stuck in front of a pc.

All this said, I think that however ET did it, she did manage to get enough to get close to grade level when she was placed in public school. According to her sister, she was doing quite well in Spanish. I was impressed! I let virtual cover that one. ;) I think ET sounds like a motivated learner and a bright student which makes what TC did all the more reprehensible and vile. I would like to hear more from ET’s sister on how they approached homeschooling, method and curriculum choices.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/police-report-sighting-missing-tennessee-teen/story?id=46537343

The department shared images that appear to match the description of the teen and her alleged abductor, 50-year-old Tad Cummins, at a McDonald’s in Kearney, Nebraska, more than 900 miles west from of their home state of Tennessee.

The man in the pic is a lot heavier in the midsection and has muttonchops. The girl has lighter hair and it appears longer. I don't think this is them at all.

I homeschooled all three of mine so I’ll venture a few possibilities. Homeschooled our son 5th through High School and our daughters the whole way. There are a lot of approaches to homeschooling and I’ve seen a few successes, but some epic fails as well. A lot depends on the homeschool educator’s intent. I went into it because I was confident in my ability and had a keen desire to do everything possible to do it right. I also loved being with my children and watching them love learning. Unfortunately, that is not always the case. Some parents do it as a way to escape the oversight of others and the school, to avoid the homework and carpools etc. and the children are educationally neglected. Some call themselves unschoolers and this casts a bad light on the true unschoolers who approach education via means other than traditional books, rote learning and typical schedules, but they work very hard to cover all that by other methods. It is also known as ‘child led’ learning. The child follows their interests and learns. It can leave huge gaps in my opinion. It wasn’t my cup of tea, but I won’t judge.

According to ET’s sister, the mother was uninvolved, but the children went to church a lot. It may be possible that they went to Homeschool Co-op classes. Those are classes taught by other homeschool educators or teachers hired by the Co-op to teach once a week. I personally participated in about four different ones and wasn’t terribly impressed by the actual academics, but we used them as one of our vehicles for socialization. If ET and her sibs belonged to a couple of Co-ops, she may have been able to get enough to get her by. Or it is possible that ET was given access to the material and taught herself. I have seen some very self-motivated homeschool students do that.

There is also Virtual School and this may be the most likely way ET was homeshooled. Many states have an option through public school called Virtual and it is free. It is delivered over a computer platform and every class imaginable is offered. There is regular contact with a teacher via phone conference with the student and the parent. They are, in general, good classes. We did a few virtual courses in our homeschool as well. One of mine did 2 years of Latin and my girls did 2 years of Spanish. They also did the driver training (book portion). One did a year of guitar as well. They offer all the traditional courses too, through advanced literature, history and mathematics. We covered those at home, so didn’t partake. Many homeschoolers take a full virtual load though and that is how they choose to do the homeschooling. Basically, the parent is there to make sure they are on the pc and moving in a productive direction. It is also easy for parents to fall down on that task and if that is the case, the student could get behind. I’ve seen many students burn out on a full virtual school load. IMO there is a lot of ‘fluffy, time wasting’ type activity thrown in and it adds up to a lot of time spent stuck in front of a pc.

All this said, I think that however ET did it, she did manage to get enough to get close to grade level when she was placed in public school. According to her sister, she was doing quite well in Spanish. I was impressed! I let virtual cover that one. ;) I think ET sounds like a motivated learner and a bright student which makes what TC did all the more reprehensible and vile. I would like to hear more from ET’s sister on how they approached homeschooling, method and curriculum choices.

My friend homeschools her four children because her husband is a firefighter and has a very odd schedule, and this gives him an opportunity to be a hands-on father and spend time with his kids. He is a great dad.

I don't know if you saw the video of ET, and I am sure the link is at least one thread down, but as I was watching it, she struck me as very bright as well. My hope for her is that she is able to get a good education, either through a charter school, private school, and/or tutoring.

I can see how her dad's statements that she is ahead could be true. As an educator, most students have strengths and weaknesses. A student could be very advanced, college level, in English--for example--but several grades behind in Math. Or vice versa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My friend homeschools her four children because her husband is a firefighter and has a very odd schedule, and this gives him an opportunity to be a hands-on father and spend time with his kids. He is a great dad.

I don't know if you saw the video of ET, and I am sure the link is at least one thread down, but as I was watching it, she struck me as very bright as well. My hope for her is that she is able to get a good education, either through a charter school, private school, and/or tutoring.

I agree. It appears that while the mother didn't do much educating, it's apparent ET is very bright. She may have been part of a coop group and the online ed makes sense. It's unusual for a girl her age to know sewing, that's amazing in this day and age.

The man in the pic is a lot heavier in the midsection and has muttonchops. The girl has lighter hair and it appears longer. I don't think this is them at all.

They both look too young to me and he is too tall.

On the subject of money and the $4500 as all he has, he may be getting extra money from pawning things, like his wedding ring. That may explain the apparent delays in Decatur and in OKC, where the lawyer seemed to think ET/TC were in the area there for a time. TC may have been scoping places to pawn his ring and get a good price.
There could be video of him in the shop since brokers are good about that. A little late but would confirm their movements.
Wonder if he wife has done an inventory to see of there are other items of value missing that he could pawn.

On the subject of money and the $4500 as all he has, he may be getting extra money from pawning things, like his wedding ring. That may explain the apparent delays in Decatur and in OKC, where the lawyer seemed to think ET/TC were in the area there for a time. TC may have been scoping places to pawn his ring and get a good price.
There could be video of him in the shop since brokers are good about that. A little late but would confirm their movements.
Wonder if he wife has done an inventory to see of there are other items of value missing that he could pawn.

GOOD thought!!! You know, they may have both taken small items that could be pawned and give them money. Hadn't even thought of that though.

Just wanted to chime in on the Kearney, Nebraska "sighting". I can maybe understand if this were a well-meaning member of the public tweeting as fast as possible out of genuine concern but law enforcement?? It's so obviously NOT them that it's not even funny. Also, the angle looks to be from a security camera so someone had to take the time to view the tape, screenshot the footage, etc and yet they still didn't catch on that these two (especially the female) are not even a 10% match in terms of resemblance. Getting the Thomas family's hopes up over junk intel is inexcusable, IMO.

Possible new sighting of missing teacher and former student

TC packed warm weather clothing--shorts and t-shirts.

https://gma.yahoo.com/video/possible-sighting-missing-teacher-former-101757611.html?soc_src=default

Thanks! This photo has been discussed earlier in the thread. I believe if you look back you can see reports that officials and fam have noted this was either not likely them...or, with TBI, that it at least can't be confirmed as a legitimate sighting (like the OK one).

The photo on the Kearney PD Facebook looks like them.

I don't believe this looks like them at all. Why would media release this without TBI or any LE confirming it is them???
Jmo.

"Police in Nebraska said they had a "possible" sighting of 15-year-old Elizabeth Thomas, the missing Tennessee teenager who was allegedly kidnapped by her former high school teacher last month."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/police-rep...id=clicksource_4380645_5_heads_posts_vert_hed
People in America are copycats. When things become popular in the news, other people mimick it. It's a phenomenon that is typically short-lived that we call "trending" or a "fad", and it occurs with fashion, crime, social media topics, and 15-minutes-of-fame (among other things). If it becomes popular to report a possible sighting, I think even more will come in. Maybe we'll get lucky with one!

If he pawned anything, he would still have to show a driver's license or a state ID, and a police report written up. There would be a hold on the items for 30 days. And it might be that the person has to be 18 years or older to pawn.

IMOO.

The photo on the Kearney PD Facebook looks like them.

That's the photo discussed earlier.

I can't rule it out bc he could've grown facial hair and donned a hat, but in my opinion, it doesn't look like him *from this grainy photo.*

People have suggested that the girl is wearing a headband that volleyball players in an area tournament were known to wear. I haven't been able to verify that.

Thanks! This photo has been discussed earlier in the thread. I believe if you look back you can see reports that officials and fam have noted this was either not likely them...or, with TBI, that it at least can't be confirmed as a legitimate sighting (like the OK one).

Yes, I saw the report from the Kearney PD FB page last night and didn't even post it here because it so clearly is not them.

The reason I posted the link was to point out TC only brought warm weather clothing.

Argh! Wish I didn't look through those comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava l