Found Safe TN - Mary Catherine Elizabeth Thomas, 15, Maury County, 13 March 2017 #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it the same for minors I wonder?

Yes. Let's remember this is a 16 year old minor, cognizant of right and wrong and able to be processed legally as an adult if the crime is severe enough. I'm serious, this is a really serious issue that has far reaching consequences that go above and beyond the simple "I don't wanna hafta" attitude of a teen and her resistant parents, it even goes far beyond whether those people feel ET is able to do and go where she wants, it goes beyond losing your home and your assets that you've worked an entire lifetime to acquire, it goes to any future education, earnings and jobs. If this teen is held in contempt of court, that is a felony. That will dictate her future, what loans she get for education, some jobs won't hire you if you have a felony on your record, it will affect the interest she pays on mortgage loans. I mean far reaching affects. If this were my friend, no if this were my child, I'd have immediately stopped whatever self-righteous path we were on and headed in to fully cooperate. This is one instance where it really doesn't matter what else is going in, this is a fork in the road and the most prudent thing is to now cooperate.

The juvenile witness may have already committed a crime if she lied to police. The parents may have committed a crime if they sold her car to hide evidence. If so they can invoke the 5th during the civil trial depositions. JMO

When Lying Becomes A Crime: Obstruction Of Justice

Obstruction of Justice (aka perverting the course of justice) is a broad term that simply boils down to charging an individual for knowingly lying to law enforcement in order to change to course/outcome of a case, or lying to protect another person. The charge may also be brought against the person who destroys, hides, or alters evidence.

http://www.leelofland.com/wordpress/when-lying-becomes-a-crime-obstruction-of-justice/

So I keep going back to where they are. He did some missionary work in Panama, but I wonder how he got involved in that and who he might have met during that time. If he has help to get to another area where would that be? And since we haven't heard to look for a different car does that mean he still has the rogue?
Given that one of the things those disappearing articles said was to remove all social media accounts, I can only think that was put on social media was meant as a diversion. I also wonder if he had access to her instagram accounts and put things on there himself? I mean they shared the password to his email acct, why not her instagram acct?

If they don't still have the Rogue, then where is it, and what are they using for transportation to get their food and necessities?

I am just astounded that these parents are teaching their children that it is ok to NOT help in any way possible to bring ET home.

You are not alone. I am :jawdrop:

So the thing is her parents and herself are refusing to cooperate with the FBI/TBI/Police department. She has changed her story 100 times but has given information that she would only know if still in contact with them. At this point this was a last resort that has to be done if we want the truth out of this girl. Ps she is 16 and drives.

Weird tip. After finding out they wanted to question her the parents sold her old car and got her a different one.

Is this girl really a friend of Elizabeth's or is she more of an acquaintance? How long have they been friends? How did they meet? I almost think she and her parents are friends of Tad's more than Elizabeth and maybe he encouraged the friendship knowing their loyalty lies with him vs her. IMO

I have a daughter nearly this age and I can't imagine telling her anything other than be truthful with the police, whatever the truth may be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is this girl really a friend of Elizabeth's or is she more of an acquaintance? How long have they been friends? How did they meet? I almost think she and her parents are friends of Tad's more than Elizabeth and maybe he encouraged the friendship knowing their loyalty lies with him vs her. IMO

I have a daughter nearly this age and I can't imagine telling her anything other than be truthful with the police, whatever the truth may be.

My only thoughts on why they wouldn't help LE is if they have some type of knowledge of a very bad home life and seriously believe they are helping her by not revealing what they know.

IMO

I am not agreeing with their actions by any means. Just trying to figure why parents would choose this route and given ET's history of abuse, maybe they really believe they are all doing what is best for her. Maybe they felt ET was unsafe in her home. Not saying her home was unsafe.

We don't know what she told the friend that is making her keep her mouth shut. I can't see her friend helping if she didn't believe Elizabeth needed out of her situation at home.

Hopefully there are some helpful leads for LE soon.

The quote I found said that a person who invokes the 5th cannot be held in contempt so they would not be put in jail for refusing to answer questions. A journalist wouldn't be invoking the 5th Amendment for refusing to reveal a source. That would be the 1st Amendment.

"Special circumstances" involving the safety of a child doesn't change the Constitution. You can't face Federal charges for invoking a Constitutional right as far as I know. JMO

Sorry, bad example I was putting out there for a quick bit. I'll explain better. This is a special circumstance in that the well being of a child hangs in the balance. And let's remember that 5th only affords self-protection. This is about abduction, TC abducted a child, so that would apply to TC being questioned. Additionally, this is arguably about the provision of evidence, not strictly testimonial. This is a special circumstance in that the information provided is part of evidence needed to secure the well being and safety of a child that has been abducted, in that case, while they can plead the 5th, they'd be held in contempt. The 5th amendment only allows for those provisions if it meets a certain criteria, 1. it has to be for self protection and 2. the information must be testimonial . In this instance the witnesses are being asked about a crime (abduction) that they didn't commit and they are being asked this information for evidentiary reasons in an investigation. So again, they can plead the 5th, but they'll be held in contempt. For instance, if you and a friend go into a store and you witness your friend steal something, you can't plead the 5th, well you can but you'll be held in contempt of court.

If they don't still have the Rogue, then where is it, and what are they using for transportation to get their food and necessities?

In the articles that we were posting about how to disappear and live as a fugitive, the authors mentioned selling the car or just ditching it somewhere where it would be stolen or broken down for parts and buying a new one for cash. It was written that you can buy a used car for a minimal amount of cash.

Results of this morning's petition were just posted by reporter Burt Scott Staggs on his FB page. Motion was denied. MODS, am I allowed to quote him?

In the articles that we were posting about how to disappear and live as a fugitive, the authors mentioned selling the car or just ditching it somewhere where it would be stolen or broken down for parts and buying a new one for cash. It was written that you can buy a used car for a minimal amount of cash.

Good line of thinking.
There are several car models out there which are excellent in terms of reliability , yet so ugly nobody wants them.The type you don;t even look once at while driving. A newer no crash Nissan Rogue would have great value as a scrap vehicle. If TC could have made a pre arranged deal, playing his cards right I bet he could have score a nice Mercury Marquis complete with plates ,with low miles, plus some cash for the Rogue at a chop shop. The Rogue's air bags alone are worth this type of money----

Results of this morning's petition were just posted by reporter Burt Scott Staggs on his FB page. Motion was denied. MODS, am I allowed to quote him?
Unflippingbelievable. Grrr.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Sorry, bad example I was putting out there for a quick bit. I'll explain better. This is a special circumstance in that the well being of a child hangs in the balance. And let's remember that 5th only affords self-protection. This is about abduction, TC abducted a child, so that would apply to TC being questioned. Additionally, this is arguably about the provision of evidence, not strictly testimonial. This is a special circumstance in that the information provided is part of evidence needed to secure the well being and safety of a child that has been abducted, in that case, while they can plead the 5th, they'd be held in contempt. The 5th amendment only allows for those provisions if it meets a certain criteria, 1. it has to be for self protection and 2. the information must be testimonial . In this instance the witnesses are being asked about a crime (abduction) that they didn't commit and they are being asked this information for evidentiary reasons in an investigation. So again, they can plead the 5th, but they'll be held in contempt. For instance, if you and a friend go into a store and you witness your friend steal something, you can't plead the 5th, well you can but you'll be held in contempt of court.

Read my post #522. I believe the juvenile witness and her parents may have committed a crime that would allow them to invoke the 5th during a deposition.

They may not have committed any crimes and they would not be able to invoke the 5th. I'm just pointing out possibility's. JMO

Today marks four weeks since missing 15-year-old Elizabeth Thomas and her 50-year old former teacher disappeared.

So the thing is her parents and herself are refusing to cooperate with the FBI/TBI/Police department. She has changed her story 100 times but has given information that she would only know if still in contact with them. At this point this was a last resort that has to be done if we want the truth out of this girl. Ps she is 16 and drives.

Weird tip. After finding out they wanted to question her the parents sold her old car and got her a different one.

BBM

Has she told LE multiple stories or other individuals? Thanks.

The only scenario I can imagine in which the Rogue could disappear is if it were stolen and sold for parts by the type of professional car thieves that do this.

If he bought a used car for cash, that brings up these questions: How much cash would it take to buy a reliable used car? How much cash did/does TC actually have? What transportation did they use to get to the place where the used car was being sold if they ditched the Rogue (and ET does not drive)? How did TC avoid registering the car in his own name? I am again going with the simplest answer. He still has the Rogue.

Good line of thinking.
There are several car models out there which are excellent in terms of reliability , yet so ugly nobody wants them.The type you don;t even look once at while driving. A newer no crash Nissan Rogue would have great value as a scrap vehicle. If TC could have made a pre arranged deal, playing his cards right I bet he could have score a nice Mercury Marquis complete with plates ,with low miles, plus some cash for the Rogue at a chop shop. The Rogue's air bags alone are worth this type of money----

And then he would be driving around in a stolen car.

I really fear for what this ending might be. My heart breaks for ET. She has been thru so much. I hope I am wrong. That's all I have at this point.

msmtolympus, did you alert your own post? it will get to the mods quicker...

I can't understand any reason for the motion to be denied...maybe a legal beagle can weigh in once the topic gets approved?

The friend that dropped her off knows something. I'm convinced that she led LE to OKC. Why would she not cooperate unless she did something wrong? If all she did was drop her off, what's there to hide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member