Found Safe TN - Mary Catherine Elizabeth Thomas, 15, Maury County, 13 March 2017 #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
A subpoena is a court. Witnesses can be held in contempt if they don't answer unless they file a motion for a protective order.

The witness's could invoke the 5th Amendment.

What happens if you invoke the privilege against self-incrimination in a civil case?

1. You can do it, and you won’t be held in contempt for failing to testify. Though the provision says that no person “shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself,” the Supreme Court has made clear that this extends to compelling a person to testify in a civil case, when that compelled testimony could later be used against him in a criminal case. See, e.g., McCarthy v. Arndstein (1924):

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...fifth-in-a-civil-case/?utm_term=.069c1521c5d0

Hey, sorry I'm not caught up. We have had death in the family and then others hospitalized. I don't have the energy or the ability to do much. We are struggling as a family.
Oh, dear, my heart goes out to you and your loved ones. What an incredibly difficult time.

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Hey, sorry I'm not caught up. We have had death in the family and then others hospitalized. I don't have the energy or the ability to do much. We are struggling as a family.

Kat, we are so thankful you are here and I think I can speak for all of us when I say we are truly sorry for your loss and for what your family is going through altogether.

Kat, so sorry for your loss and the additional heartbreak for your family. Praying your sister is home soon.

I'm so sorry you're going through so much right now. I'm praying your sister is home with you soon.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MCElizabethsSISTER View Post
So the thing is her parents and herself are refusing to cooperate with the FBI/TBI/Police department. She has changed her story 100 times but has given information that she would only know if still in contact with them. At this point this was a last resort that has to be done if we want the truth out of this girl. Ps she is 16 and drives.

Weird tip. After finding out they wanted to question her the parents sold her old car and got her a different one.

Does the car being replaced mean that there coiuld be potential evidence in it? I agree it is strange to sell the car.

Her dad wants to deposition her 15 year old friends as adults to see if they are lying. ...

But he doesn't realize that they are babies like his daughter. Jmo

When this goes to trial, they'll be deposed anyway. They were witness to a crime.

Imo.

Her dad wants 10 million from the school district.

Jmo.

Because he seems to make a lot of litigation comments to the press.

Or at least his lawyer does.

Jmo for now.

The suit isn't against the school, it's against TC. The depositions are concurrent with a case against TC for kidnapping.

Kat, I think about you and your family every day. Sending prayers your way and hoping you are being cared for.

So the thing is her parents and herself are refusing to cooperate with the FBI/TBI/Police department. She has changed her story 100 times but has given information that she would only know if still in contact with them. At this point this was a last resort that has to be done if we want the truth out of this girl. Ps she is 16 and drives.

Weird tip. After finding out they wanted to question her the parents sold her old car and got her a different one.
My heart sank to my feet reading this. What in the world are they hiding that they got rid of the car?

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk

My heart sank to my feet reading this. What in the world are they hiding that they got rid of the car?

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk

If the girl was using the car to supply ET and TC what they needed so that they could stay hidden, could LE possibly track that car?

I hope they can subpoena her cell phone records.

Yes, they can, however they can still be held in contempt and sit in a jail cell until such time as they wish to comply with the order. We've all seen cases where a journalist will attempt to do the same and sit in a jail cell until such time as they release the identity of their source. This is a special circumstance and the life of a child is at stake, so it will be viewed differently. Additionally, if those who are being deposed fail to answer questions that could lead to safe return of this child, and God forbid anything should happen to that child, it's called aiding and abetting, and where this could be a federal issue I'd be bellying up to the table with everything I know post haste. Withholding information that leads to the safe return of an abducted child isn't smart. And usually those who aide and abet are tried far more harshly than the person who commits the crime because they're held to a higher standard.

So I keep going back to where they are. He did some missionary work in Panama, but I wonder how he got involved in that and who he might have met during that time. If he has help to get to another area where would that be? And since we haven't heard to look for a different car does that mean he still has the rogue?
Given that one of the things those disappearing articles said was to remove all social media accounts, I can only think that was put on social media was meant as a diversion. I also wonder if he had access to her instagram accounts and put things on there himself? I mean they shared the password to his email acct, why not her instagram acct?

Wonder if that family has a house/cabin somewhere, or knows someone who does. And the OK a signal back to her?

I'm wondering if the results of today's deposition will be made available to the media. Would love to know what happened in that court house this morning.

If the girl was using the car to supply ET and TC what they needed so that they could stay hidden, could LE possibly track that car?

I hope they can subpoena her cell phone records.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner! Or should I say this is part of my gut feeling. Good call.

I am just astounded that these parents are teaching their children that it is ok to NOT help in any way possible to bring ET home.

Yes, they can, however they can still be held in contempt and sit in a jail cell until such time as they wish to comply with the order. We've all seen cases where a journalist will attempt to do the same and sit in a jail cell until such time as they release the identity of their source. This is a special circumstance and the life of a child is at stake, so it will be viewed differently. Additionally, if those who are being deposed fail to answer questions that could lead to safe return of this child, and God forbid anything should happen to that child, it's called aiding and abetting, and where this could be a federal issue I'd be bellying up to the table with everything I know post haste. Withholding information that leads to the safe return of an abducted child isn't smart. And usually those who aide and abet are tried far more harshly than the person who commits the crime because they're held to a higher standard.

Is it the same for minors I wonder?

The quote I found said that a person who invokes the 5th cannot be held in contempt so they would not be put in jail for refusing to answer questions. A journalist wouldn't be invoking the 5th Amendment for refusing to reveal a source. That would be the 1st Amendment.

"Special circumstances" involving the safety of a child doesn't change the Constitution. You can't face Federal charges for invoking a Constitutional right as far as I know. JMO

You have an Elizabeth-sized hole in your family and it's amazing how large a hole a person can leave. I'm so sorry your family is experiencing anything other than this and the best advice I can give you is to remember to eat and sleep, and breathe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GonzoToxic