Found Safe TN - Mary Catherine Elizabeth Thomas, 15, Maury County, 13 March 2017 #12

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's called abetting and accomplice liability, Penal code 31. Here's more about Pleading the 5th.

Can Any Witness Plead the Fifth?
At a criminal trial, it is not only the defendant who enjoys the Fifth Amendment right not to testify. Witnesses who are called to the witness stand can refuse to answer certain questions if answering would implicate them in any type of criminal activity (not limited to the case being tried). Witnesses (as well as defendants) in organized crime trials often plead the Fifth, for instance.

But unlike defendants, witnesses who assert this right may do so selectively and do not waive their rights the moment they begin answering questions. Also, unlike defendants, witnesses may be forced by law to testify (typically by subpoena).
http://criminal.findlaw.com/criminal-rights/fifth-amendment-right-against-self-incrimination.html

So yes, they can plead the 5th, but they can be still be held in contempt in this situation given that the proceeding is to gather evidence, not as testimony and the defendant in this case is TC for the crime of kidnapping. If the family should succeed in this issue and be granted the ability to depose the witnesses for the purpose of gathering evidence that could lead to the safe return of this child, the witnesses can plead the 5th and be held in contempt of court. In order for the 5th amendment to be used in any case it must meet two criteria and pleading the 5th in this case just doesn't meet the criteria. Besides, they can just offer immunity to anyone who feels they could be convicted of another crime based on the testimony they give. Pleading the 5th also requires a judge to determine whether to allow the privilege of the 5th, and witnesses are held to a different standard than defendants. There has to be a reasonable cause for criminal liability if the witness answers a specific question, and they have to make that assertion on every question answered. It's a gamble to do it because failure to answer questions results in contempt of court. In this case, if we rely on what we know about one of the witnesses, she dropped ET off and went to work. Unless she also kidnapped ET there's not a whole lot she claim would incriminate her. We can at least agree that these witnesses should come forward of their own volition, even if only on an ethical level.

Please correct me if i'm wrong, but this is a civil complaint, not a criminal complaint (action).

How sure are they that that's all she took? If this was planned ahead, she could have left clothes at a friend's house or in their car days before, so as not to be seen walking out with a suitcase. Since she apparently took warm weather things, it might be worthwhile to check "packed away" winter clothes to see if items are missing.

In the OK video she was still wearing what she'd left in, except for wearing his shirt. But just because she didn't have warm weather clothing with her doesn't really mean much to me. Those are things that can be bought. The thing is, the money is going to run out. He doesn't have an endless supply, so either he's getting help or he's going to need to find work. I don't think he could do heavy labor, so what kind of work could he get that he wouldn't need ID for? And he'd have to be able to leave her and be sure she would try to escape while he's working. I just can't get over the money issue and I don't see him as a living off the land kind of guy.

Any idea how much money Elizabeth may have saved up from her PT job? I remember having a LOT more play money at that age from babysitting and after school work at the mall because I didn't have to pay for anything. She may have made up to a few hundred per week with not much to spend it on. And it's possible she got money for Christmas or sold some of her gifts.

Any idea how much money Elizabeth may have saved up from her PT job? I remember having a LOT more play money at that age from babysitting and after school work at the mall because I didn't have to pay for anything. She may have made up to a few hundred per week with not much to spend it on. And it's possible she got money for Christmas or sold some of her gifts.

I did read that she didn't pick up her last paycheck so that could have been extra cash if she needed it.

Wonder if he knows how to make repairs to car if there was an issue? Oil change it. He seems to know EVERYTHING...lol

I don't remember, do we have any locals on here that could give us insight as to the city's reaction? Why TC has so much support?

I know Kat, ET's sister is a member, however, she has enough going on in her life. She may not even live in the same city.

Kat, we appreciate every thing you share with us. It gives us insight into this horrible situation that your family has faced for too long. Please know that nothing is said to upset or hurt feelings. Each of us are trying to ask or suggest an idea to the others that might ring the bell to a path that finds ET. As you can see, we feed off each other, one idea may lead another person to a stronger point along the same line. Hoping the rescue day is soon!

Wonder if he knows how to make repairs to car if there was an issue? Oil change it. He seems to know EVERYTHING...lol

If he still has the Rogue, it's not that old - other than maybe a flat tire, it really shouldn't break down. The oils today are such that even if you don't get them changed, it will be a long time before you have a problem.

You beat me to it by saying that the names are already known as to who they are wanting to depose. In fact, I would imagine these students are getting hassled at school already. It is just a matter of time until it is public knowledge, someone will tell it.

Something is going on behind the scene that apparently the Thomas family or even LE hasn't gotten wind of. IMO. It seems like there is a group that has banded together in support of TC and it has taken over the city! IMO.

Why is there no outrage from the citizens that a teacher kidnapped a student? How can an entire city back this teacher? Yes, I have read the posts of what ET's sister said people were saying and calling ET. I believe her.

But come on, a 15 year old having the power to convince a 50 year old married Christian man with an outstanding reputation to give up everything he has worked for, commit a crime with many charges, and runaway with her? There is no way ET was the one who started this "relationship" or came up with these ideas herself. TC is to blame from his first cheery Hi.

This is a weird city where people do not have the welfare of a missing child as its upmost concern!

My opinions only.

Well, TC was fairly brazen with his behavior towards ET, I think that speaks loudly. I wonder if he had other victims in town and they may be afraid of the same action from people in town and school. That might explain keeping the list sealed. There's something more going on here. Thing is, if someone knows something they can be protected and may not even understand that.

I think the dad tweeted that kids got up in his face, when he was asking questions. I think this was a beloved teacher that may have gotten his hooks into a lot of children.

MOO

Hate to reply to myself, but...

The friend that gave her the ride might be intimidated by their parents - because the parents were involved. Think about it - it would make sense why the story kept changing, if the kid is being told what to say. I'm very curious whether the parents might have a vacation home/RV/other second residence that's not in use - or even an additional vehicle that nobody has seen for awhile.

We can't sleuth these people, so I'm going to stay far away from talking about them...just to prevent myself from inadvertently violating TOS.

In working with children and families who have experienced abuse, we deal with a lot of testimony. We often see people not wanting to cooperate with authorities. A few reasons that are prevalent:

-They have a criminal history and simply don't want to be involved in another investigation.

-They are involved in criminal behavior and don't want to be caught.

-They have a family member involved in criminal behavior and don't want them to be caught.

-They were manipulated into the situation (covering up a crime, abetting one, etc) and are in fear.

-They were aware of the abuse and did nothing to stop it

-They encouraged the abuse

-They were threatened by the people involved. Perhaps the parties involved know something about them.

-They are not here legally, or someone in their family is not here legally.

-They don't believe abuse o a crime happened, and don't want to be a reason the person is charged or punished.

Just some of the scenarios that have played out. It almost always involves and attempt to protect themselves or someone else, for criminal or other reasons. In general, it is not uncommon for a culture of abuse to be shrouded in complicity and silence. Its amazing the lengths people will go through, simply to deny.

I'm hesitant to stay certain things on here for possibility of upsetting family...and I REALLY have a hard time censoring myself when someone is missing that should be found.......... but yes, there is something very strange going on in the background of this town. I have questions I'd like answers to, but without offending some, can't ask. I feel like we are just going in circles at this point without more info... and I believe some of that info is out there and can be answered. I too, will step away for a breather to decide how to proceed in good conscience. Its a 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' scenario IMO.
Of course I'm NOT in this situation Thank God! However it could easily be me or someone i know in this horrible situation! With that being said... For me, you wouldn't offend me or need to feel insensitive in asking certain questions! At the end of the day your motives aren't ill when asking them uncomfortable questions! It could be a question your worried about asking, that could VERY WELL get this poor angel home! If it were me? Ask away!!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

That's my fear. Don't know if anyone watched 20/20 last night but Sherry is my dear friend. Taylor (the girl who drowned) was a precious, loving, spunky, talented girl with a heart of gold. Not sure they will ever get the answers they deserve... due to Taylor's friends pleading the 5th.... [emoji120]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.redbulletin.com/us/us/lifestyle/how-to-disappear-tips-from-the-man-who-tracks-fugitives Another informative article about disappearing. I am inclined to think that since there was so much left on social media about where they were going, the friend who said ET told her they were headed west, the trip to Decatur and the capture of their images at the Walmart in OK were all diversion tactics. TC had to know he was going to be picked up on camera at the Walmart. And searching teen marriage, that would throw LE off too. I don't think TC is bright, but I don't think he's an idiot either He made no attempt to erase his searches or the correspondence through his email account with ET. TC was originally from Mount Pleasant, could he be in the surrounding area? Nashville might be a place to try to hide in plain sight?

https://www.redbulletin.com/us/us/lifestyle/how-to-disappear-tips-from-the-man-who-tracks-fugitives Another informative article about disappearing. I am inclined to think that since there was so much left on social media about where they were going, the friend who said ET told her they were headed west, the trip to Decatur and the capture of their images at the Walmart in OK were all diversion tactics. TC had to know he was going to be picked up on camera at the Walmart. And searching teen marriage, that would throw LE off too. I don't think TC is bright, but I don't think he's an idiot either He made no attempt to erase his searches or the correspondence through his email account with ET. TC was originally from Mount Pleasant, could he be in the surrounding area? Nashville might be a place to try to hide in plain sight?

I disagree that the sighting at Walmart in OK was intentional or diversionary. As someone pointed out several hundred posts ago, the only time security cameras are checked is when there's a reason to check them. There could be many more images of them here and there that have not yet been discovered. And they don't need to perform any diversionary tactics. Let's assume they are somewhere other than Tennessee, Alabama, or Oklahoma for the sake of argument. He can drive that Rogue at night, parked it backed in at any 24-hour grocery store, and they can waltz in and pick up what they need. They look like an average father-daughter. People are so oblivious today. Even if they are spotted, boom, they shop quickly and are in the car and off to their hiding place before LE can respond to a 911 call. They don't, unfortunately, have to be all that clever to remain hidden.

I am just astounded that these parents are teaching their children that it is ok to NOT help in any way possible to bring ET home.
^^^^THIS!! I could kind of understand the misquided thoughts of a teenager in this position, but for the parent of a teenager.... a parent who should understand the stakes here.... I'm sorry. INEXCUSABLE! I guess I can understand you might fear your child is somehow culpaple in assisting TC and want to protect her as much as possible. But as a parent you should of brought her to the police and stood with her while she ASSISTED in any way she could. It's disgusting.

Well, TC was fairly brazen with his behavior towards ET, I think that speaks loudly. I wonder if he had other victims in town and they may be afraid of the same action from people in town and school. That might explain keeping the list sealed. There's something more going on here. Thing is, if someone knows something they can be protected and may not even understand that.

I'm not a legal person, but maybe someone helped ET and/or TC, and then he/she lied about doing it because obviously it's illegal; and also it helped contribute to putting ET in danger. And then maybe someone else is not saying, either, all they know in order to protect the first someone. And now the judge is protecting her/him with his denial of the motion. I would guess it's because there would be a lot of outrage if people knew who or what actually happened. I know i put in a lot of 'and thens.' Jeez, I don't know, and I'm probably wrong. I never even thought anyone would help TC. I thought a teen might help ET, but again don't know. I just hope if they know more, they will somehow 'spill the beans' to LE.

I think the dad tweeted that kids got up in his face, when he was asking questions. I think this was a beloved teacher that may have gotten his hooks into a lot of children.

MOO

Shaking my head, but in agreement.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TC can run and hide for weeks; though there is little desirable about living on the run. All the inspirational poetry and motivational memes on SM aren't going to get either one of them through this psychologically. JMO That makes me believe that ET does not have any opportunity to call home or to get to a safe place. They can't be having any fun IMO - an idealistic 15 year old with her whole life in front of her with a disordered weathered old fool who has abandoned everything he had boasted about previously.

Their time is nearing an end. There will be money, medical and other problems. I hope there is a sighting soon. I hope that there has been enough coverage on this. There is nothing where I live but I do not live in the geographic areas where they have been sighted.

ET get to safety. Alert people identify them. Let either one of these happen soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cattdee