Found Safe TN - MCET, 15, Abducted by Teacher, in Maury County, 13 March 2017 #16 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I kinda wonder if the family is doing this as a way to prevent the case from being lost in the shuffle. For a long time after the kidnapping it seemed like they were fighting a lot of people that were determined to marginalize the danger that ET was in with words like 'romantic' and 'runaway' etc. It would be understandable that they want to make sure the town doesn't start backpedaling to protect certain interests.

Pegs, I think you may be right as to the family's rationale. And, unfortunately, the needs of this young woman need to go beyond the small-minded people in this town. I have no doubt the LE will prosecute him to the fullest. I have much more concern as to what will happen to ET in the long run. I hope someone can help the family keep their energy in the right place.

I kinda wonder if the family is doing this as a way to prevent the case from being lost in the shuffle. For a long time after the kidnapping it seemed like they were fighting a lot of people that were determined to marginalize the danger that ET was in with words like 'romantic' and 'runaway' etc. It would be understandable that they want to make sure the town doesn't start backpedaling to protect certain interests.

That makes a lot of sense.

Kat said a while ago that they were trying to keep the sordid story away from the 8 yr old. But I don't see why she can't see her. The kid knows that she was missing. JMO Maybe the little one would ask questions that the rest of the family is advised not to ask at this time.

It's what can be said or questions that might be asked. It can be a slow integration and it's tricky at times. It's not uncommon to keep any really young children separated from the issue for a short time. Each situation is a bit different and it's quite possible that although her little sister knew she was gone, she may not have been privy to the details of her sister's disappearance.

Gitana,
Regarding a plea deal, does the federal charge of taking minor across state lines with the intent, etc., have a lesser included charge that he could plea to? If not, and considering mandatory sentencing what could he plea to? Thank you. Just:thinking:

Good question. I see no evidence of a lesser included in the federal charges. And good question re the mandatory sentence. That I don't know the answer too. Besides interning at the federal public defender once but my knowledge of fed criminal law is somewhat limited. I do know that certain factors like no prior criminal record, can bump down a sentence. I can research at some point.

I was thinking more of the state charges which may require more details being released, when I was talking about my feeling he might plea out.

She's asked to see her little sister, but they haven't let her. Why not?

Thoughts?

http://kwbe.com/abc_national/father...was-prior-to-alleged-abduction-abcid35899149/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

From a mental health perspective, I would guess that ET is not particularly stable as evidenced by her dad saying she goes between being fine and crying in the fetal position. Now is the time to focus on ET's well-being. If ET is focused on the younger sibling or taking care of someone else with a history her father describes as being a caretaker, she might be more likely to cover up her feelings while less likely to grapple with the ordeal she has been through. While I do not know about ET's history with family abuse (mother and emotional abuse), depending ET's role in the family dynamic, there may be very good reasons to not have her overwhelmed with responsibility or guilt for leaving with this monster.

Kat said a while ago that they were trying to keep the sordid story away from the 8 yr old. But I don't see why she can't see her. The kid knows that she was missing. JMO Maybe the little one would ask questions that the rest of the family is advised not to ask at this time.

Yes, that and with the reports of ET's current "roller coaster" emotions and behavior, it might be too difficult or painful for the little one to understand. I thought I'd read that she's only 6 years old?

From a mental health perspective, I would guess that ET is not particularly stable as evidenced by her dad saying she goes between being fine and crying in the fetal position. Now is the time to focus on ET's well-being. If ET is focused on the younger sibling or taking care of someone else with the history her father describes as being a caretaker, she might be more likely to cover up her feelings while less likely to grapple with the ordeal she has been through. While I do not know about ET's history with family abuse (mother and emotional abuse), depending ET's role in the family dynamic, there may be very good reasons to not have her overwhelmed with responsibility or guilt for leaving with this monster.

That may very well be it. Good point!

I refuse to discuss what is better for ET. That is up to her father, he knows his daughter, we do not!
I will voice my apprehension of assuming that her family and she will get the help they need. I was born, raised and living in TN. I have lived many places from DE to CA in my lifetime and traveled all over the world. TN is the worst place to live for mental health issues. And as most of you have discovered, one of the worst educators in the country. Our schools are horrible, we can't keep good teachers, as evidenced here.
I hope her family does the research and finds an organization that is capable of helping them, as well as giving pointers for the children's education.

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk

Good question. I see no evidence of a lesser included in the federal charges. And good question re the mandatory sentence. That I don't know the answer too. Besides interning at the federal public defender once but my knowledge of fed criminal law is somewhat limited. I do know that certain factors like no prior criminal record, can bump down a sentence. I can research at some point.

I was thinking more of the state charges which may require more details being released, when I was talking about my feeling he might plea out.

I'm really praying hard that he just does the right thing and pleads guilty to avoid this going to trial. On the one hand I'd like to see those in town have their face rubbed in the details and feel ashamed of what they said, but I really think the best thing for ET is to allow her to move forward and there will always be ignorance regardless of the truth they hear. And this town appears to be rife with it. Still shaking my head.

I refuse to discuss what is better for ET. That is up to her father, he knows his daughter, we do not!
I will voice my apprehension of assuming that her family and she will get the help they need. I was born, raised and living in TN. I have lived many places from DE to CA in my lifetime and traveled all over the world. TN is the worst place to live for mental health issues. And as most of you have discovered, one of the worst educators in the country. Our schools are horrible, we can't keep good teachers, as evidenced here.
I hope her family does the research and finds an organization that is capable of helping them, as well as giving pointers for the children's education.

Do you have any facts to back up your allegations? Or just basing this on your limited view from the town you live in? University of Memphis has one of the nations best psychology departments. I know this because my degree is from there. Also, the schools that my children attend are in the top 100 in the nation. Elementary, Middle and High. Please stop generalizing an entire state.

I have asked some questions to the following effects before. What was the underlying “impairment” (default) that made Mr. Tad Cummins give up good paying “described as his dream” job, wife and kids and grandkids, and the respect of his community at school work and at his catholic church, for an ephebophilia flight?
JMHO, we could refine our comments by checking before flaming. I recall, my benign question about Mr. Tad Cummins was flamed about “he is a pedophile. That is why. Google pedophilia if you do not know.”
I let it slide but Ms. Elizabeth Thomas is an adolescent, JMHO. The corresponding crime, if applicable to Mr. Tad Cummins (yes, I agree he is a monster etc.) would be “ephebophilia” instead of pedophilia.
The distinction is relevant in two extends (1) to comprehend the motives and pattern of behavior of Mr. Tad Cummins and (2) to measure the applicable penalties of his despicable actions according to law.
I would not venture about the law as the applicable Tennessee law was discussed extensively here. Also, Mr. Tad Cummins hurdles compound with Federal penalties as the FBI agent’s criminal complaint of Title 18, United States Code, Section 2423(a) says “knowingly transport an individual who has not attained the age of eighteen (18) in interstate commerce, identified here as victim, with the intent that the individual engage in any sexual activity for which any person can be charged with a criminal offense”. This federal crime carries a minimum penalty of 10 years in prison, if I recall correctly.
What is intriguing would be to comprehend the motives and pattern of behavior of Mr. Tad Cummins. Are there people in everyday life under the same pattern of behavior, just waiting to act-up? How to discern those potential offenders? What was the underlying “impairment” (default) that made Mr. Tad Cummins give up good paying “described as his dream” job, wife and kids and grandkids, and the respect of his community at school work and at his catholic church, for an ephebophilia flight?
If he were doing it with an 18 year old woman, he would not be in such predicament as now. That was the question I asked and still vexes me to-date.
Yes, he is a monster etc. etc. What drives men like him to act on his devilishness? What is the difference between doing it with a 15 year old as opposed to a 18 year old? It is my belief this question is worthy of an academic research in scholarly journal article about human behavior and/or for the mental health professionals out there, if there are any here.

I understand that you are asking that in the eyes of the law, but, in reality, it is very "uncomfortable" to think of a 50 year old with an 18 year old as well, even if it has no legal implications. We know that teens' brains are not fully developed and you have to wonder about their judgement. What would a 50 year old be looking for in a 18 year old? They wouldn't exactly have a lot in common. They didn't grow up in the same 'era'. They have different points of reference. It all seems inappropriate to me, because, in the end it seems that it is about sex and power by the older person. (Women included.)

Couldn't agree more, and posted similar thoughts in the previous thread. As a survivor of sexual assault, my perception has been that some posts have reflected almost a perverse glee in sharing details that contribute nothing to sleuthing or to supporting and protecting ET.

WS is public facing and easily found via Google. ET might just read what has been posted here someday. Might be a good idea to keep that in mind. Just because it's in a police document doesn't necessarily mean it should be discussed.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

bbm

It's called "prurient interest " and yes, it's off-putting as well as somewhat creepy.

Gitana,
Regarding a plea deal, does the federal charge of taking minor across state lines with the intent, etc., have a lesser included charge that he could plea to? If not, and considering mandatory sentencing what could he plea to? Thank you. Just:thinking:

Not Gitana, but there isn't a lesser charge. The minimum sentence for this crime is 10 years. They have a point system to determine what the sentence is beyond that 10 years. For instance, if a weapon is used, more points are added to the initial charge and translate into a longer sentence. The entire sentence is 10 years to life with a mandatory 10 years. From 18 USC ss 2423a " If a minor is transported across state lines in violation of Section 2423(a), the penalty is not less than 10 years in prison, up to life."

<modsnip>

It IS up to us to keep an eye on what we write!! Tricia and our mod tlcya made that abundantly clear on the last thread. It doesn't matter what the press does or what comes out in court in the future. What matters is that here on WS we behave as compassionate human beings and put victims above our desire to sleuth every little tidbit to death. As Tricia often says "Words have power." And they last forever on the internet. If any of our daughters had gone through this experience, would we want her to come here someday and see a bunch of people discussing intimate details of products that may have been used in her experience? Would we want to read it? I didn't think so. It's up to each one of us to think before we write, be compassionate toward victims and not burden the mods more than they already are.
JMO
Thank you Lilibet. I havent posted any of the details released but I did think things released by MSM and LE were within the TOS to post Thanks for clarifying this! This is why I mostly lurk. I cant figure out from one case to another what is ok and what is not. Im thankful for posters like you who can navigate the rules and keep us up-to-date.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I have asked some questions to the following effects before. What was the underlying “impairment” (default) that made Mr. Tad Cummins give up good paying “described as his dream” job, wife and kids and grandkids, and the respect of his community at school work and at his catholic church, for an ephebophilia flight?
JMHO, we could refine our comments by checking before flaming. I recall, my benign question about Mr. Tad Cummins was flamed about “he is a pedophile. That is why. Google pedophilia if you do not know.”
I let it slide but Ms. Elizabeth Thomas is an adolescent, JMHO. The corresponding crime, if applicable to Mr. Tad Cummins (yes, I agree he is a monster etc.) would be “ephebophilia” instead of pedophilia.
The distinction is relevant in two extends (1) to comprehend the motives and pattern of behavior of Mr. Tad Cummins and (2) to measure the applicable penalties of his despicable actions according to law.
I would not venture about the law as the applicable Tennessee law was discussed extensively here. Also, Mr. Tad Cummins hurdles compound with Federal penalties as the FBI agent’s criminal complaint of Title 18, United States Code, Section 2423(a) says “knowingly transport an individual who has not attained the age of eighteen (18) in interstate commerce, identified here as victim, with the intent that the individual engage in any sexual activity for which any person can be charged with a criminal offense”. This federal crime carries a minimum penalty of 10 years in prison, if I recall correctly.
What is intriguing would be to comprehend the motives and pattern of behavior of Mr. Tad Cummins. Are there people in everyday life under the same pattern of behavior, just waiting to act-up? How to discern those potential offenders? What was the underlying “impairment” (default) that made Mr. Tad Cummins give up good paying “described as his dream” job, wife and kids and grandkids, and the respect of his community at school work and at his catholic church, for an ephebophilia flight?
If he were doing it with an 18 year old woman, he would not be in such predicament as now. That was the question I asked and still vexes me to-date.
Yes, he is a monster etc. etc. What drives men like him to act on his devilishness? What is the difference between doing it with a 15 year old as opposed to a 18 year old? It is my belief this question is worthy of an academic research in scholarly journal article about human behavior and/or for the mental health professionals out there, if there are any here.

Yes, I wonder why. He had so much that many people never obtain. A long, happy marriage, middle class income, dream job, gkids, daughters who loved him, supporters. Just being a narcissist wouldn't cause someone to leave everything for a teen. It must have to do with a sexual deviance for teens (combined with his narcissism?). Or maybe he's also interested in older teens young women, as well, but they wouldn't be interested.
The spider and the fly. Ok I'm guessing. Now would be an interesting time to be a psychologist. I suppose they'd have to interview him to get extra facts, but some probably have an educated guess about him, though.

I wouldn't want to say that I don't think ET will get the help she needs. I think that based on her father's actions, it seems he is very invested in her recovery. I too have lived in many different states and worked for services and the quality can vary from county to county. But wherever you live, ultimately it is the individuals decision and responsibility to determine the services and quality of services they are willing to accept and that goes for education as well. If the schools are not up to par, then it is time to look at alternatives. If ET's father cannot find something acceptable where they are, then I suspect her father and her counselors will find a good solution.

I wouldn't want to say that I don't think ET will get the help she needs. I think that based on her father's actions, it seems he is very invested in her recovery. I too have lived in many different states and worked for services and the quality can vary from county to county. But wherever you live, ultimately it is the individuals decision and responsibility to determine the services and quality of services they are willing to accept and that goes for education as well. If the schools are not up to par, then it is time to look at alternatives. If ET's father cannot find something acceptable where they are, then I suspect her father and her counselors will find a good solution.

Doesn't he have 10 kids or something? Now I don't know how many kids that he is currently raising?

But the more kids equals the less focus that he can show to all at the same time. Jmo for now.

So hopefully dad has help as well.

Yes, I wonder why. He had so much that many people never obtain. A long, happy marriage, middle class income, dream job, gkids, daughters who loved him, supporters. Just being a narcissist wouldn't cause someone to leave everything for a teen. It must have to do with a sexual deviance for teens (combined with his narcissism?). Or maybe he's also interested in older teens young women, as well, but they wouldn't be interested.
The spider and the fly. Ok I'm guessing. Now would be an interesting time to be a psychologist. I suppose they'd have to interview him to get extra facts, but some probably have an educated guess about him, though.

I would qualify as a &#8220;graduate educated adult&#8221; albeit I do not consider myself to be very educated. Prior to posting my question, way back weeks ago, I read a long description and discussion about ephebophilia, the &#8220;psychological ailment&#8221; and crime the FBI is accusing Mr. Tad Cummins of doing:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Ephebophilia/Archive_1
Toward the middle of the long description/discussion, you read:
&#8220;The articles we have do not have lists, and the web page has [2] for Sexual Disorders not otherwise specified. Get-back-world-respect 00:12, 13 Jul 2004 (UTC)
(1) I have never before heard that ephebophilia is a paraphilia NOS. It is not mentioned in DSM or ICD. If it were a disorder to like teenagegirls don't you think it would be listed (and not be NOS)?
(2) Ephebophilia is not a paraphilia, since it does not meet the general criteria (which are also listed on your site).
(3) If it was a disorder 20-50% of men would have it.
(4) If it was a disorder it would still require distress or impairment.Wildt 05:35, 16 Jul 2004 (UTC)&#8221;
I comprehend that doing it with a 15 year old adolescent or 18 year old woman would be equally repulsive in term of the 50 year old man. Thus, could not it be equally satisfying for his libido since persons from these age groups would be indiscernible in real life? There are 15 year old adolescents who look a little older for their age. There are 18 year old women who look a little younger for their age.
Why risk 10 year to life in prison, and risk a large loss in finance, economics, and social beings, with such small difference? That is what is puzzling to me comprehension. It is my guess, this is really a question for real experts. Googling narcissism would not make it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisy24