Found Safe TN - MCET, 15, Abducted by Teacher, in Maury County, 13 March 2017 #16 *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
:cat:

Things went a little off topic while the cat was away. Discuss this crime. The topic is not May/December romances. The topic is the abduction of ET by TC.

The Thread is now open for posting

Do you have any facts to back up your allegations? Or just basing this on your limited view from the town you live in? University of Memphis has one of the nations best psychology departments. I know this because my degree is from there. Also, the schools that my children attend are in the top 100 in the nation. Elementary, Middle and High. Please stop generalizing an entire state.

As a fellow Tennessean...thank you!

It may surprise some to learn that The University Of Tennessee ranked 7th in the nation for their Nuclear Physics program , and 21st in the nation for Veterinary Medicine. Vanderbilt University ranked 19th in the nation for their Anthropology program ( ahead of Georgetown University and John Hopkins University). And...the UT College of Pharmacy is the home of the Center for Pediatric Pharmacokinetics and Therapeutics , one of only 6 such centers nationwide.

ETA: Oh yeah, we also started that little thing known as The Body Farm. You're welcome.

Doesn't he have 10 kids or something? Now I don't know how many kids that he is currently raising?

But the more kids equals the less focus that he can show to all at the same time. Jmo for now.

So hopefully dad has help as well.

I know 2 of the sisters are older and not in the home, but I also have no idea how many are remaining.

If they are referred to their county advocacy center, it's likely they will receive family wide counseling. When abuse victims come into our advocacy center, psychological services are offered and encouraged for the whole family. I hope everyone in the family gets plenty of help, as well as TC's family. I think the perpetrator's family can often be forgotten. I can't imagine what they are going through.

I would qualify as a “graduate educated adult” albeit I do not consider myself to be very educated. Prior to posting my question, way back weeks ago, I read a long description and discussion about ephebophilia, the “psychological ailment” and crime the FBI is accusing Mr. Tad Cummins of doing:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Ephebophilia/Archive_1
Toward the middle of the long description/discussion, you read:
“The articles we have do not have lists, and the web page has [2] for Sexual Disorders not otherwise specified. Get-back-world-respect 00:12, 13 Jul 2004 (UTC)
(1) I have never before heard that ephebophilia is a paraphilia NOS. It is not mentioned in DSM or ICD. If it were a disorder to like teenagegirls don't you think it would be listed (and not be NOS)?
(2) Ephebophilia is not a paraphilia, since it does not meet the general criteria (which are also listed on your site).
(3) If it was a disorder 20-50% of men would have it.
(4) If it was a disorder it would still require distress or impairment.Wildt 05:35, 16 Jul 2004 (UTC)”
I comprehend that doing it with a 15 year old adolescent or 18 year old woman would be equally repulsive in term of the 50 year old man. Thus, could not it be equally satisfying for his libido since persons from these age groups would be indiscernible in real life? There are 15 year old adolescents who look a little older for their age. There are 18 year old women who look a little younger for their age.
Why risk 10 year to life in prison, and risk a large loss in finance, economics, and social beings, with such small difference? That is what is puzzling to me comprehension. It is my guess, this is really a question for real experts. Googling narcissism would not make it!

Yes, it's more than just being attracted to a teen. It's WHY give up everything (including your life with the possibility of death by police) to do it. I don't buy the love excuse. Love is not putting a teen in harm's way in multiple ways as he did.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It goes without saying that I hope ET and her family get the help they need after this horrible ordeal. I do feel for TC's wife and family too, and I hope I'm wrong, but I do wonder if he abused his daughters in any way. Regardless, I hope his family gets the help they need as well.

I thought I had read on the dad's twitter account that 5 kids were still at home and 5 had moved out.

It goes without saying that I hope ET and her family get the help they need after this horrible ordeal. I do feel for TC's wife and family too, and I hope I'm wrong, but I do wonder if he abused his daughters in any way. Regardless, I hope his family gets the help they need as well.

I just hope her nor them show up to his court cases unless he was diagnosed as mentally incompetent. Jmo

Because guys like tad also get off by knowing their family will support them in court regardless of their crimes. Jmo.

I just hope her nor them show up to his court cases unless he was diagnosed as mentally incompetent. Jmo

Because guys like tad also get off by knowing their family will support them in court regardless of their crimes. Jmo.

http://criminal.lawyers.com/criminal-law-basics/competency-to-stand-trial.html

A defendant must be able to communicate with his attorney. A defendant must also understand charges against him. Only a mental disease or a mental defect can prevent someone from being found competent to stand trial.

I've been going back and forth about whether I think it's a good idea to have the public send mail in to ET and ultimately I think I come down against it. If ET was groomed and tricked and went semi-willingly at first, she may be mortified and embarrassed about how it all turned out. To think you are going on a fun trip and have it turn into a cross-country kidnapping and serial rape is horrifying. To then know that thousands of random people were following your story may just be even more traumatizing - even if most of the people have the best intentions! Hearing from specific people - like former victims, agencies that help victims, and someone like Elizabeth Smart - would probably be a net positive in the long run. But I couldn't imagine being a teenager, going through a horrific experience, and then finding out that not only was my case all over the national news but thousands of people followed every detail... yikes (IMO)

http://criminal.lawyers.com/criminal-law-basics/competency-to-stand-trial.html

A defendant must be able to communicate with his attorney. A defendant must also understand charges against him. Only a mental disease or a mental defect can prevent someone from being found competent to stand trial.

The standard for incompetence is extremely high- it's mentally unable to assist in your defense. Even then, defendants are treated and medicated and can later be deemed competent to stand trial. I definitely don't think it's applicable in this case.

I do hope this family finds their way out of the spotlight. With this young woman a victim, it is important for the family to rally around her and protect her. It is quite possible that her healing trajectory will not be only positive because this is complicated. She may feel positive and negative feelings about this relationship/seres of events. We don't know. It is quite possible that the professionals who work with trauma clients won't really know, although they probably will be able to anticipate. This process will most likely be confusing and painful to all in her sphere.

On another note, I have thought a lot about the young people at the commune. It is quite possible that they have gone to live there to feel safe and have judgement free lives. LGBTQA youth have often experienced horrible prejudice and violence (physical and emotional). It is not a surprise to me that they would not question TC and ET too much. (Although I would not think that they would consider the abuse and abduction of a young person something that they would support.) That is not what a commune is about. It is not about what you did before but that you are willing to commit to communal living. TC and ET did not want a communal lifestyle which is why the commune used its process to have them go. Many here at WS forget that the greater world does not necessarily see or understand the whole by-stander thinking. People who are choosing to live in a commune have often chosen to leave a society with its rules and messed-up values that may marginalize them and their beliefs. I would be horrible on a commune as I want too much individualism (what most commune dwellers want as well) but would hate the shared kitchen, bathrooms, clothes, and lack of privacy. Many have made comment about the clothing optional issue. However, if the commune dwellers are wishing to get beyond ornamentation/clothing status and beyond body politics the idea of clothing optional is not about sex but rather equality. Again, not something I could do but it is their land and their legal covenants so they should be free to hold their values. JMHO.

I'm glad you mentioned the young people at the commune. In a way, I feel they were also hurt by all of this, in more ways than one.

I've been going back and forth about whether I think it's a good idea to have the public send mail in to ET and ultimately I think I come down against it. If ET was groomed and tricked and went semi-willingly at first, she may be mortified and embarrassed about how it all turned out. To think you are going on a fun trip and have it turn into a cross-country kidnapping and serial rape is horrifying. To then know that thousands of random people were following your story may just be even more traumatizing - even if most of the people have the best intentions! Hearing from specific people - like former victims, agencies that help victims, and someone like Elizabeth Smart - would probably be a net positive in the long run. But I couldn't imagine being a teenager, going through a horrific experience, and then finding out that not only was my case all over the national news but thousands of people followed every detail... yikes (IMO)

ITA-- can you even imagine how a 15 yo girl feels about an entire nation knowing (or having the ability to know) about this incident and all it entailed. It has been a long time since I was a teenager but I'm not sure I could have handled this much publicity/knowledge and opinions without ever wanting to leave the house.

I really hate this for ET. Ecstatic she is home but so wish the details were not out for public consumption. I do not want to add to any anxiety she has at this point.

ETA- MOO

One of the best pieces I've seen on this whole mess.
"the break in the case came from a bystander nowhere near her hometown is notable, considering those in ET's own town of Culleoka had arguably failed to do their part to prevent the crime from happening in the first place."
and
"Although laws differ from state to state, there's a reason teacher-student relationships are frowned upon, if not outright illegal. By nature, they are not consensual, even if the students involved think they are, and often they do. Some students may even think they're the ones who pursued the relationship -- that they "asked for it." They may like the attention, or the power they think the relationship gives them.
But what's actually happening, in every case, is that the student is being groomed to accept what is, most definitely, a form of sexual abuse. Whether it's by promising access to things a teenager doesn't have, but would like to -- money, a car, sexual knowledge -- or attention a student lacks, in every case the adult is in charge and manipulating the situation."
and
"While the school's internal investigation alludes to a discussion in which TC and ET were "instructed to have no contact," it's unclear whether a counselor, a trusted adult, tried to engage the girl about the nature of her contact with Cummins."
You can read the full piece here:
http://www.cnn.com/2017/04/21/opinions/how-the-adults-failed-tennessee-teen/

The standard for incompetence is extremely high- it's mentally unable to assist in your defense. Even then, defendants are treated and medicated and can later be deemed competent to stand trial. I definitely don't think it's applicable in this case.

That was what I was trying to illustrate with my link. Thanks for confirming, Alethea.

I'm glad you mentioned the young people at the commune. In a way, I feel they were also hurt by all of this, in more ways than one.

If they have been hurt, it is because of their own childish antics. Posing for cutesy photos in a bathtub, breaking out a ukulele while gleefully offering up the lurid details of a crime against a child ? Yeah...poor them. :boohoo:

If they have been hurt, it is because of their own childish antics. Posing for cutesy photos in a bathtub, breaking out a ukulele while gleefully offering up the lurid details of a crime against a child ? Yeah...poor them. :boohoo:

It doesn't sound like they will be doing that again....

"To the media: The residents of Black Bear Ranch will not give any further interviews or allow any further photos or video to be shot at Black Bear Ranch. Please do not attempt to visit us. We would like to preserve and maintain our privacy.
Black Bear does not condone the acts that Tad Cummins has been charged with nor does it condone these practices by anyone."

http://blackbearranch.org

"To the media: The residents of Black Bear Ranch will not give any further interviews or allow any further photos or video to be shot at Black Bear Ranch. Please do not attempt to visit us. We would like to preserve and maintain our privacy.
Black Bear does not condone the acts that Tad Cummins has been charged with nor does it condone these practices by anyone."

Thank you for this. They stayed there for a few days--not two weeks.

According to interviews of several current residents of Black Bear Ranch reported in the press, the couple showed up at Black Bear Ranch having had no previous contact with Black Bear and stayed for a few days until they were asked to leave. Residents had no access to national news and had no idea who this couple was, there ages or their history in relation to the charges that have now surfaced.

TC got angry because he perceived he was rejected for being 'white hetero'. You can kind of understand some of the glee that he and his attitude and his guns are gone. But some of the details could have been edited. It was tasteless in terms of public consumption. Useful in court though.

I refuse to discuss what is better for ET. That is up to her father, he knows his daughter, we do not!
I will voice my apprehension of assuming that her family and she will get the help they need. I was born, raised and living in TN. I have lived many places from DE to CA in my lifetime and traveled all over the world. TN is the worst place to live for mental health issues. And as most of you have discovered, one of the worst educators in the country. Our schools are horrible, we can't keep good teachers, as evidenced here.
I hope her family does the research and finds an organization that is capable of helping them, as well as giving pointers for the children's education.

Sent from my LG-K540 using Tapatalk
The FBI is also involved. I don't know about Tennessee, but the feds tend to take great care of victims!

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

From link..

" Black Bear Ranch Web Site is temporarily unavailable.

The Black Bear Ranch Web site is currently overwhelmed by traffic due to the recent news stories that had incorrectly reported that teacher Tad Cummins and the 15 year old girl he had run away with had been found at Black Bear ranch. The pair was actually found in Cecilville, California near a cabin where they had been staying that has no connection with Black Bear Ranch.".......

Residents had no access to national news and had no idea who this couple was, there ages or their history in relation to the charges that have now surfaced. "

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisy24