Found Deceased TN - Noah Chamberlin, 2, Pinson, 14 Jan 2016 - #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I do think that LE and family will hold of the information about where he was found and details of the search very tightly. I think we will hear from people that were part of the search, but of course, it would just be rumor or speculation according to our rules.

Really the only reason it matters to me personally how far away from where he was last seen to where he was actually found, is that it gives me a better idea of how far he went. But even as I type that, it really doesn't. We don't know if he back tracked, walked in circles for a while, lied down and slept, then woke up and walked some more in a completely different direction, etc.

At two years old, he wasn't old enough to understand just how dangerous it was for him out there so while he might have been upset he was alone, (he also may not have been), and likely uncomfortable in the cold... for him, it could have been an exciting adventure - never once realizing the danger. I'm hoping that's the case. Maybe he saw some wildlife, and got excited and tried to follow something for a while before he got cold and sleepy.

moo.

This helps clear up some of the confusion for me, at least:

"His body was found just 1.5 miles from his grandmother's home and about half a mile from where he was last seen, WBBJ-TV reported."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...ence-search-noah-chamberlin-article-1.2504469

aha, thats why i asked steelman earlier if he had measured the distance from the spot noah was said to have been last seen at to the grandmothers home, if it is in fact about a mile this would seem to clear things up.

good find! hopefully they can track his exact route and make some conclusions from that distance traveled

Posting ahead without reading ahead so this has likely already been addressed. In case not, the problem here is the way the sheriff speaks and the way folks interpreted that. On the periscope video he most definitely says "one half mile". Did he mean a mile and a half, or did he actually mean a half of a mile? I believe he meant exactly what he said, one half of a mile. Then the man next to him (on his left - sorry I don't know his name) said Noah was found just at the EDGE of the area they were searching - they'd searched that area before but he was all the way at the very edge of that - where they had not yet searched.

I am scrolling through very quickly, so I didn't stop to grab the quotes, but I read a quote that he was 0.5 mile from the family home, and that he was 1.5 miles from where he went missing. Giving two different measuring points may be the source of the confusion.

Heart breaking, but inevitable news. I'm so sorry for this little sweetie and his family. Hugging my kids a little tighter tonight.

Really the only reason it matters to me personally how far away from where he was last seen to where he was actually found, is that it gives me a better idea of how far he went. But even as I type that, it really doesn't. We don't know if he back tracked, walked in circles for a while, lied down and slept, then woke up and walked some more in a completely different direction, etc.

At two years old, he wasn't old enough to understand just how dangerous it was for him out there so while he might have been upset he was alone, (he also may not have been), and likely uncomfortable in the cold... for him, it could have been an exciting adventure - never once realizing the danger. I'm hoping that's the case. Maybe he saw some wildlife, and got excited and tried to follow something for a while before he got cold and sleepy.

moo.
I think this is right. To him it was probably a big adventure looking at all the new sights and sounds around him. Maybe he was kept warm running around until it was time for sleep and then he was so tired he didn't even notice the cold. It is nice thought and one I choose to believe is possible. Thanks.

I am scrolling through very quickly, so I didn't stop to grab the quotes, but I read a quote that he was 0.5 mile from the family home, and that he was 1.5 miles from where he went missing. Giving two different measuring points may be the source of the confusion.

I am not sure it makes a whole lot of difference whether he was found one half mile or one and a half. More importantly a community, a nation and countless volunteers including dogs came together for the purpose of finding Noah. Noah has shown us that there is still love and compassion in our world...and that speaks volumes.

I am more interested in what the Sheriff meant when he said this was a tragic accident. His wandering off would not be considered an accident IMO.

JMO's

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/bo...woods-sheriff-says/ar-BBowTT8?ocid=spartandhp

Bless this little boy and I hope he wasn't too scared or sad. I can't bear to think about it--let alone the anguish of his family. It's incomprehensible.

"One half mile" means half a mile. It's the kind of emphatic, overly accurate language that ends up being confusing.

That said, a circle with a radius of half a mile is three miles around. That's huge area. HUGE. I don't think anyone was incompetent in not finding this poor baby. I live on 3 acres--one acre of field, one of woods, one of yard and garden--and I once lost 12 living, moving chickens on my property. COULD not find them until they chose to home home for dinner. A little baby hidden behind a slight hummock of leaves would be nearly impossible. You probably wouldn't see him until you were right on top of him.

And I have to join in questioning the efficacy of search dogs. I love dogs, volunteer at the local shelter, but I, too, have never heard of a missing person's case being resolved by dogs. It must happen sometimes, but much more often dogs are brought in and it takes a human to find the missing person.
If they can't work on children, or when it's wet, or cold, or the wind's wrong...what's the point?

That certainly explains a few things.

How so? I feel more confused. "1.5 miles from his grandmother's home and about half a mile from where he was last seen" would mean they were 1 mile into the woods when he disappeared? I thought they were closer to her house. But maybe I'm wrong.

I am not sure it makes a whole lot of difference whether hw found one half mile or one and a half. More importantly a community, a nation and countless volunteers including dogs came together for the purpose of finding Noah. Noah has shown us that there is still love and compassion in our world...and that speaks volumes.

I am more interested in what the Sheriff meant when he said this was a tragic accident. His wandering off would not be considered an accident IMO.

JMO's
Yes, it would be considered an accident of sorts. The grandmother did nothing to intentionally cause him to wander off and the "accidental" part is when she took her eyes off him for a minute. It was all he needed to bolt from her sight and be gone. She wasn't being neglectful or showing lack of care for Noah. She simply turned her eyes toward the other child and he took that opportunity. It is what toddlers do. It happens every day, but 99.9% of the time nothing horrible comes of it.

I just wanted to note that during the Q&A part of the press conference, a reporter asked what evidence or leads were they referring to yesterday that led them to believe he was still in the area & helped them locate him, he said there were some tracks and THE DOGS PICKED UP ON SOME SCENTS (around the 4:56 mark).

So, obviously, the dogs were not completely useless. It wasn't until they expanded the search area that this happened, so it sounds like the dogs didn't alert them until they were actually near him---which is technically what the dogs are supposed to do.

I am not sure it makes a whole lot of difference whether he was found one half mile or one and a half. More importantly a community, a nation and countless volunteers including dogs came together for the purpose of finding Noah. Noah has shown us that there is still love and compassion in our world...and that speaks volumes.

JMO's

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/bo...woods-sheriff-says/ar-BBowTT8?ocid=spartandhp

Could he have meant that maybe he fell and hit his head or was injured and couldn't respond to the searchers?

I'm not sure if this has been posted or not, but it is a video of the Press Conference.

I am actually furious at watching this and seeing nothing but flash flash flash and hearing nothing but loud click click clicks. I find this so utterly disrespectful. They are talking about a baby not a political scandal. This is 2016. Use your silent cameras, or, for that matter, your iphones set on Silent for the camera. Use your phones to video it if you feel you must. There's no reason for this. I finally had to stop watching in the middle. This is a baby! There are certainly some "journalist" vultures with no decency or compassion. I understand it's a press conference, but it's also an opportunity to behave like a decent person. I shudder to think what it will be like at the funeral.
I like to think that while we've been crying all week he's been having cotton candy and playing with puppies and being surrounded by more joy than he's ever know. Bye bye Noah.

After seven days of searching, authorities found Noah’s body about a mile and a half to two miles from where he went missing. His body was found between 1 and 4 p.m. in a small clearing. The announcement was made at Pinson Baptist Church, where news conferences had been held during the search
Authorities said no foul play is suspected in Noah's death, and there is no criminal investigation. They described Noah's death as a tragic accident. An autopsy will be conducted, which is standard procedure.

Mehr said scents picked up by dogs and tracks from Noah in the woods led officials to believe Noah was in the woods and had not gone elsewhere. He said had the weather stayed warm, not gotten cold and not rained, there could have been a recovery.

Madison County Fire Chief Eric Turner said Noah's body was found on the outskirts of the search area, an area that had only previously been searched one time.

“I’ll be honest with you, it’s further away than I thought [it would be], but we had to keep expanding, and that’s why we do that,” Turner said.
Turner said it is likely that Noah ran from his grandmother and hid, which he liked to do. He said it is possible that Noah was moving away from searchers when they began looking for him on the afternoon of Jan 14.

http://www.jacksonsun.com/story/news/local/2016/01/21/body-noah-chamberlin-found/79134468/

After seven days of searching, authorities found Noah’s body about a mile and a half to two miles from where he went missing. His body was found between 1 and 4 p.m. in a small clearing. The announcement was made at Pinson Baptist Church, where news conferences had been held during the search
Authorities said no foul play is suspected in Noah's death, and there is no criminal investigation. They described Noah's death as a tragic accident. An autopsy will be conducted, which is standard procedure.

Mehr said scents picked up by dogs and tracks from Noah in the woods led officials to believe Noah was in the woods and had not gone elsewhere. He said had the weather stayed warm, not gotten cold and not rained, there could have been a recovery.

Madison County Fire Chief Eric Turner said Noah's body was found on the outskirts of the search area, an area that had only previously been searched one time.

“I’ll be honest with you, it’s further away than I thought [it would be], but we had to keep expanding, and that’s why we do that,” Turner said.
Turner said it is likely that Noah ran from his grandmother and hid, which he liked to do. He said it is possible that Noah was moving away from searchers when they began looking for him on the afternoon of Jan 14.

http://www.jacksonsun.com/story/news/local/2016/01/21/body-noah-chamberlin-found/79134468/

bbm

This means they are fairly sure he succumbed to the cold, and not because of an injury.

RIP sweet little angel boy. Heartfelt condolences to and prayers for Noah's family. There are just no words that will really be of comfort to them. I'm just so very sorry.

I just wanted to note that during the Q&A part of the press conference, a reporter asked what evidence or leads were they referring to yesterday that led them to believe he was still in the area & helped them locate him, he said there were some tracks and THE DOGS PICKED UP ON SOME SCENTS (around the 4:56 mark).

So, obviously, the dogs were not completely useless. It wasn't until they expanded the search area that this happened, so it sounds like the dogs didn't alert them until they were actually near him---which is technically what the dogs are supposed to do.

Thanks for pointing this out. It probably has to do with my personal love for dogs, but I'm disheartened by the SAR dog bashing in some of these comments. These dogs and handlers usually go through rigorous and very time consuming training in order to qualify for SAR work. Oftentimes, these SAR dog teams are volunteers giving freely of their time to search for someone and think nothing of going out in all conditions and terrains for hours on end. I have a hard time believing that the practice of using SAR dogs would continue if LE felt it was pointless or non-productive. Anyways, my apologies for the tangent, I realize this is supposed to be about Noah.

Re: the usefulness of search dogs...

I think part of the confusion was/is the lack of understanding by the general public what they are, and are not capable of. In some ways I think crime based tv shows gives people a very misleading idea on all kinds of things. Search dogs, the use of luminol, how phone pings work (I've seen that one at least 14 million times, and the same questions are always asked), polygraph tests, etc.

So then when folks start discussing a legitimate investigation like the one into Noah's disappearance, they bring with them misinfo (and expectations of it) that they don't even realize is. If that makes sense?

moo.

I am very saddened that once again a little one was found off the search grid, not blaming those searching, but you think that we would learn and modify to accommodate in hopes of saving lives. I am betting he succumbed to Hypothermia and I actually am hoping it happened very early on, less fear and suffering for Noah. RIP Noah, fly high....My thoughts are with the family and especially the Grandmother, my heart just weeps for her....I hope she can forgive herself, as this was just a tragic accident....IMHO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
distrustHUMANS24
Back