Found Safe TN - SLP, 14, Madisonville, Monroe County, 13 Jan 2019 #3 *ARRESTS*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has it ever been established which of her relatives actually LIVE in WI? Would it not be possible for them to intervene on her behalf? Raise her if they so chose and she so chose?

SLP's bio dad said on the Gray Hughes' interview that none of his relatives live in WI and none of CP's relatives live in WI as far as he knows either. He thought maybe some Pruitts live there. Which would be the worst environment for SLP, IMO. I think SLP and her siblings need to be given a fresh start in foster care with people they are not related to at all. And it's rare that I think teens need to go to foster care, but it seems like not a single adult in her life is a responsible individual. MOO.

Due to TOS, this case is going to more and more difficult to discuss here on WS, as the perp is in custody and the mother and other siblings are off limits.

Previously it was said that none of the adults in SP's life deserve a gold medal in this case, which I completely agree with. I'm just so proud of SP for saving herself and potentially her siblings from further abuse. Now, we have to trust in the "system" to follow through and protect the children from this point forward. Im hopeful that the media coverage of this case puts everyone involved under a microscope and that ALL of the children are given the services that they will need after an experience like this, to grow up being successful productive citizens and break this cycle of abuse.

agree with gardener and mcrazing. been looking into the foster system as i can't help but wonder how many homes in rural eastern tennessee would be willing to take in four children.

anyone ever heard of "youth villages"? they seem to be nationwide. IMO looks like more of a last-stop for very troubled kids but they do take in victims of abuse. i've never heard of it before:

https://www.youthvillages.org/foste...SL2RxRSGiFs0Vd1opYfX0emZXTtZG6WBoCnHAQAvD_BwE

SLP's bio dad said on the Gray Hughes' interview that none of his relatives live in WI and none of CP's relatives live in WI as far as he knows either. He thought maybe some Pruitts live there. Which would be the worst environment for SLP, IMO. I think SLP and her siblings need to be given a fresh start in foster care with people they are not related to at all. And it's rare that I think teens need to go to foster care, but it seems like not a single adult in her life is a responsible individual. MOO.
I am a strong advocate of foster care, and I did foster teens for a while.....but the stories I have heard about foster care, scare me for the children. It is not a guarantee of safety, IMHO. Also I do not see how this mother was unaware of what was going on. Plus there were other siblings. That is MOO. More people may be involved per LE's statement. Do I need a link for this?

Due to TOS, this case is going to more and more difficult to discuss here on WS, as the perp is in custody and the mother and other siblings are off limits.

Previously it was said that none of the adults in SP's life deserve a gold medal in this case, which I completely agree with. I'm just so proud of SP for saving herself and potentially her siblings from further abuse. Now, we have to trust in the "system" to follow through and protect the children from this point forward. Im hopeful that the media coverage of this case puts everyone involved under a microscope and that ALL of the children are given the services that they will need after an experience like this, to grow up being successful productive citizens and break this cycle of abuse.
This case went very quickly from a missing persons case to something where most of what we read and hear can’t be discussed per TOS. Glad she’s safe, but what a mess!

I am a strong advocate of foster care, and I did foster teens for a while.....but the stories I have heard about foster care, scare me for the children. It is not a guarantee of safety, IMHO.

RSBM

I agree. That's why I said it is rare I would say a teen should to go to foster care. There is usually an aunt or grandmother who can take care of a teen the last few years and they do better placed with family then with strangers. But in this case it seems that the gamble of foster care would be better than the alternatives. Although I do hope SLP can see her siblings if she wants to see them. Poor child only has 4 years until she is out on her own in the world. She needs some stable adults who can help her heal and then get herself established (get a job, go to college if she wants to, etc). MOO.

This young girl is so courageous and a survivor!

Words can't express my deepest respect for what she did to get out of the horrid situation. She not only saved herself but also her siblings.

My wish for S.P. is that her name is changed and she lives with a family who will provide the greatest love and support that she has always deserved.

She is the hero of her own story and always will be. She has a future now, full of possibilities and beauty, and I hope and pray that she will always be surrounded by love and kindness. I believe she will be.

Her spirit is strong and beautiful and so is she.

RSBM

I agree. That's why I said it is rare I would say a teen should to go to foster care. There is usually an aunt or grandmother who can take care of a teen the last few years and they do better placed with family then with strangers. But in this case it seems that the gamble of foster care would be better than the alternatives. Although I do hope SLP can see her siblings if she wants to see them. Poor child only has 4 years until she is out on her own in the world. She needs some stable adults who can help her heal and then get herself established (get a job, go to college if she wants to, etc). MOO.
Yes, the next 3 or 4 years would be crucial, I would think, in order to provide SP with a stable environment and an opportunity to heal.
There is often a shortage of available foster care in many areas, especially for a teenager. Not to mention finding a family to be able to take more than one child. Siblings are often separated.
The natural father and his family can try to get custody, but unless they have a bond with the child this would be very difficult.
I imagine it will be a big challenge for authorities to find what is best for the child, or children, involved.
I hope it will be the right decision. Imo

I'm totally stumped on who would pick up a minor and take her 2+ states away. Do I hear 'kidnapping'. I could see an adult taking her to the nearest police station, but taking her a long ways away...?!
Maybe another juvenile picked her up and transported her. But after that (we think) she stayed at a residence. So maybe at that point an adult contacted LE?

Yes, the next 3 or 4 years would be crucial, I would think, in order to provide SP with a stable environment and an opportunity to heal.
There is often a shortage of available foster care in many areas, especially for a teenager. Not to mention finding a family to be able to take more than one child. Siblings are often separated.
The natural father and his family can try to get custody, but unless they have a bond with the child this would be very difficult.
I imagine it will be a big challenge for authorities to find what is best for the child, or children, involved.
Normally I'd say a grandparent would be the best placement situation, but I guess we'll see. Or not see depending on...

Normally I'd say a grandparent would be the best placement situation, but I guess we'll see. Or not see depending on...
That would depend on what kind of existing relationship they have with the child. So far I don't think we have any information about the grandparents, in terms of how close they were with their grand daughter. Imo

I agree. Did you listen to the bio father's interview on Gray Hughes? I don't think he would be given custody. He hasn't seen her in over 10 years and he admitted he is on the sex offender registry. No way the courts would suddenly place SLP with him. MOO.

I agree. Did you listen to the bio father's interview on Gray Hughes? I don't think he would be given custody. He hasn't seen her in over 10 years and he admitted he is on the sex offender registry. No way the courts would suddenly place SLP with him. MOO.
I agree. She likely doesn't even know him. He would be like a stranger to her. Imo

Thank you for your comments on the matter throughout this thread. I recognize your expertise on existing law. We have an equal footing, as does every citizen, when it comes to opinions on future laws. I do not claim to know the law intimately. But my opinion is that the law is adequate on the subject when it is proved a partner or guardian knew and failed to protect. The application of that law is the problem, IMHO. It's too infrequently applied and so far from equally applied when it is, in my very novice opinion only. I don't believe the answer is more laws, when it comes to what a parent reasonsonably should have known. That is one treacherously slippery slope.

If we say someone should have known but did not know, IMOO that's not enough. There must be required some degree of intent, some degree of disregard for the welfare of another. Merely not knowing, IMOO, is too general to warrant a criminal charge. Why did the person not know? Whose responsibility was it to inform him or her? A percentage of the population still has no internet access. How do you know the mother 15 years ago even had access to the criminal information so readily available to us today?

Earlier in the thread, you mentioned that for roughly $100 anyone can get a criminal history on someone. Do you have any idea what a barrier $100 can be for some people? It's very easy to say, as some have suggested, then don't get involved with someone if you can't properly vet someone. It's another thing altogether to suggest holding someone criminally liable for your definition of what someone should have reasonably known. What is reasonable for you to know may not be reasonable for me to know and vice versa. In unpacking the particulars of what is reasonable for someone to know, you apply your definitions, your standards, your ethics, your lived experience, your circumstances. With all due respect, and IMOO, that's just as ill conceived as mandating an intelligence threshold that one must meet to have children.

With that, thank you for your time and thought provoking input. I speak as a sexual assault survivor; although, I recognize that the journey and challenges are unique to each individual. I add that to convey to you that I am no stranger to the general challenges that are common to all survivors. I feel passionately that harsh penalties should be applied to anyone who chooses, by action or lack thereof, to harm a child. It is my opinion only, however, that a lack of regard should be required before anyone is held criminally responsible.

I appreciate your insight as a survivor, and am grateful that you are here and able to give input.

However, from a legal standpoint, what an individual reasonably should have known is not a subjective standard, but an objective one. Every individual will be held to the same standard, against the hypothetical "reasonable person".

Intent and lack of regard are two completely different things. In the former, the bio mom would have theoretically had to have intent that the rape of SP happen and/or continue. In the latter, the lack of regard could be just turning the other way; in other words, knowing, or reasonably should have had knowledge, but did nothing.

Like @gitana1 mentioned in her example, if the child became withdrawn, child began doing poorly in school, child's activities suffered, child started pulling away from family, etc. etc. etc., the parent should have known. That is the level of responsibility a parent is supposed to have for their child. It should not be the law that the child should have had to directly told the parent, and the parent ignored and intended for it to continue, for it to constitute negligence. That's simply not what negligence is. If negligence constituted only what people subjectively knew, we would never be able to hold people culpable. That is why the reasonable person standard applies in our legal system.

As of now, we do not know enough about the mother to know one way or another. Perhaps there were no signs, this was a relatively new thing, and she is just as shocked. But if it comes to light that there were signs and they were ignored, she should be held just as responsible as if she had directly been told. That is just my professional opinion.

So much about the specifics of this situation we don't don't know. We do know that somehow, sometime, SP convinced someone to help her escape by coming to get her and to get her away to Wisconsin. Somehow she knew to get and take evidence with her. The specifics of the who and how remain to be known.
I have noticed in many of these complex cases, JC and CB, when the outcome is known, there is nothing to talk about except speculation and assumptions about what little is known and most of that is within the context of our own experiences. It is hard to fill the time before the next pieces of information are made public. But we persevere.

I think it's also important to note that one can be a victim of spousal abuse while also being guilty of child neglect. Imo

That's true. But you know for the most part I never had sympathy for the parents who allowed their kids to be abused because they were also being abused and were scared. Like the mother of Lisa Steinberg who was herself terribly battered.

To me the maternal instinct should overcome all fear. I would be happy to die as long as my child could be saved.

I just listened to the interview with Larry, the bio dad.

Now, on top of SP's horrible ordeal, the ripping away of her childhood and the need to heal from that, she will also have to deal with more trust issues. If what Larry says is true, and at this point I have no reason to believe otherwise, SP's paternal grandmother sent her Christmas gifts, and she is told early on that her grandmother was dead and the gifts were from her step dad, and furthermore that her bio dad had died from a drug overdose? I am so outraged, I have no words.
Poor SP has one heck of a road ahead of her. I so hope that from here on out, she has all the therapy she needs and is surrounded by people who exhibit real care and love for her. The same goes for her sister and other siblings.

Last edited:
I believe we all were spoiled by the return of JC. Her entire loving family were constantly in the news. Just doing all they could to keep JC in everyone's thoughts. Their community, their friends, people from around the world; all joined together to celebrate that miraculous save.

I realize that this is a shocking, dramatic, and overwhelming case. SLP appears to have saved herself, and possibly others, with all the actions she bravely took.

And I'm left to wonder. How do we make similar things happen for SLP? Is there anyone that can lead a 'movement', for this young child? For that young family? They really will need the same types of help as JC received. I know, I know, JC lost her parents. However, both of these children lost all of their innocence, through no fault of their own. Very sad.

And, unfortunately, this is currently happening to hundreds (maybe thousands) of kids around the country ever single day. Sexual abuse of children within their own homes is not a new or rare problem. I wish there was a way to reach out and help them all.

She was busy, busy.
You took the words right out of my mouth!

I've been trying to figure out .. the soon-to-be stepdad got out prison after 5 years in 2006. Soon-to-be and mother got married in 2007, when SLP was 2 years old. Meet one year, married the next, fast work. SLP's younger sister would have been how old in 2007? Not very old, so that seems to have been fast work on the divorce in order for another marriage in 2007. They didn't know each other very long before getting married. That's taking a BIG chance under any circumstances.

The parents do get copies of the adoption papers, for sure, the decree, so they should have paperwork, unless the adoption was common-law. I had no idea that there was such a thing in adoption.

All that aside, two fourteen-year-olds, SLP and JC, are my heroes forever. I hope many young girls (and boys) in horrible situations follow their example in the future. I'm so proud of them and hope they have the best in life ahead of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dokkuyifyi