AMBER ALERT TN - Summer Moon-Utah Wells, 5, Rogersville, 15 Jun 2021 #32

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious, are Summer’s parents buying a Christmas present for here? If it was my child missing, and I really had nothing to do with it, I would buy a Christmas present and birthday present. I would hold them for the day they came home. Maybe I’m just weird. MOO/JMO
Or, perhaps the Wells family along with the church folk can deliver some toys to a shelter in honor of Summer.

Amateur opinion and speculation

It is not impossible that SW went into the woods, encountered someone there, and that person got her farther from home than most of the searches are. I mean, maybe searchers and dogs can tell something like that has happened if they see the evidence before 30 people also looking for Summer walk over it.

I really feel SW is farther than the highest estimate that she could have walked. But, i do think it is possible that she did walk part of the way. How she traveled the rest of the distance, idk.

But, i think (jmo, based on jmo) maybe that's why she has not been found.

It is not impossible that SW went into the woods, encountered someone there, and that person got her farther from home than most of the searches are. I mean, maybe searchers and dogs can tell something like that has happened if they see the evidence before 30 people also looking for Summer walk over it.

I really feel SW is farther than the highest estimate that she could have walked. But, i do think it is possible that she did walk part of the way. How she traveled the rest of the distance, idk.

It seems to be very common for search teams to underestimate how far a lost child (or adult) could walk. I can't recall names off the top of my head, but a number of people who were lost in the woods with no foul play suspected have been found—in some cases alive, in some dead—well outside the bounds of the initial search area.

It seems to be very common for search teams to underestimate how far a lost child (or adult) could walk. I can't recall names off the top of my head, but a number of people who were lost in the woods with no foul play suspected have been found—in some cases alive, in some dead—well outside the bounds of the initial search area.

It's true that SAR can at times underestimate how far a missing person may have travelled. There are also formulas used to map and grid out search areas based upon the info received regarding the missing individual and the circumstances playing into their disappearance; time missing, age, capacity, health, precipitating events, environment, route of travel, mode of travel, weather, etc all are factored in.

I don't know what formula/program was initially used in Summers' case, and only LE directly involved with the case would know all of the details that went into that. I do believe that in this case, the initial SAR effort seemed to be focused on a wandering 5-year old into a very overgrown and hilly area, who had VERY recently been seen by several eyewitnesses.

In many ways, Summer's case reminds me of Serenity Denard's. Although of course there are many differences.
MOO.

This explains a bit how I feel could have happened. SW saw someone and went with that person. It started out with an evil person luring SW when he saw her, then became an opportunity to remove her once she was away from the house. This person could be comfortable in the area because he was familiar with it, by visiting, camping, hiking, or other.

It's true that SAR can at times underestimate how far a missing person may have travelled. There are also formulas used to map and grid out search areas based upon the info received regarding the missing individual and the circumstances playing into their disappearance; time missing, age, capacity, health, precipitating events, environment, route of travel, mode of travel, weather, etc all are factored in.

I don't know what formula/program was initially used in Summers' case, and only LE directly involved with the case would know all of the details that went into that. I do believe that in this case, the initial SAR effort seemed to be focused on a wandering 5-year old into a very overgrown and hilly area, who had VERY recently been seen by several eyewitnesses.

In many ways, Summer's case reminds me of Serenity Denard's. Although of course there are many differences.
MOO.
I just got to wondering if being as Summer was barefoot, on the path it would not have been a problem (cool shaded dirt path)until she hit the pavement. Then ouch the scorching heat on the bottoms of her feet would cause her to scream,and turn right back around onto the cooler dirt path. Maybe that's why her scent was lost at that point. Then after that she got gone. MOO

I just got to wondering if being as Summer was barefoot, on the path it would not have been a problem (cool shaded dirt path)until she hit the pavement. Then ouch the scorching heat on the bottoms of her feet would cause her to scream,and turn right back around onto the cooler dirt path. Maybe that's why her scent was lost at that point. Then after that she got gone. MOO

I am a southern girl, we learn at a very young age to not walk on the blacktop. You wouldn't scream, it doesn't hurt at first, when you feel the hot and aren't otherwise impaired you get off of the black top. As an idiot 21 year old I had one too many shots of cinnamon schnapps and crossed a large parking lot barefoot in July even though it was way too hot. The blisters were a sight to see, let me tell you, the pads and heels of both feet.

Ben Hill Rd is really shady though.

I remember that day. I live in Tennessee. The road would really not have been too hot to walk upon. There are definitely days where this would be so, but not this one. It was a very pleasant day with a nice breeze.

I know CB describes it as "baking hot" even early in the morning. Most people from Tennessee would not describe it as such. It was warm, but not so hot you'd need to wear a bathing suit at 8 a.m. and not feet scorchingly hot.

Also they live in an area with many, many trees that shade the road.

MOO.

The issue is, going by data reported that, in and of itself is flawed or misrepresented.

I was once investigating a situation, and the people involved, told half truths, and provided data, that once it was actually investigated, we found out that more than half the records were faked.

So, that started a whole new investigation.

Data is only good if it is reliable.

The issue is, going by data reported that, in and of itself is flawed or misrepresented.

I was once investigating a situation, and the people involved, told half truths, and provided data, that once it was actually investigated, we found out that more than half the records were faked.

So, that started a whole new investigation.

Data is only good if it is reliable.

Also accurate. Most investigations are fluid. It is rare to come upon an investigation that goes from point A of initial presentation direct to point B of resolution, in a linear fashion. Sometimes investigations circle around, other times they turn off along many points, like branches of a tree. Often people lie, lie in part, or lie by omission. Often people try to tell the truth, but struggle with accurate recall. Sometimes witnesses are unable to report due to age, ability, capacity. Heck, sometimes witnesses die or disappear themselves before they can be interviewed.

In Summer's case, all we have is the info released to us by LE- which has not really wavered for six months.
SAR has undoubtably followed the direction of LE, which leads me to believe they have searched geographically for a missing 5 yr old who may have wandered from the PLS, may have been abducted from or close to the PLS, or may have been victim of foul play, also close to the PLS.

MOO.

Last edited:
Just agreeing with other posters regarding Ben Hill Rd. It was well shaded in mid June. If anything, it would have been more difficult to walk the 'dog trail' or several other possible egress points from the yard. Many of those points would have potentially caught and shredded thin clothing, not to mention bare skin. If it were my child, I would have thought they'd head down the driveway, or possibly down the grass to the clear cut or the creek to the road. But every child is different, has different tolerances and different sensory experiences, different impulses.

Again, jmho.

Summer was listed as being barefoot. Just wondering if the parents later realized a pair of her shoes were missing and they reported this to LE, would LE update the public with this new information? Since the area they are searching isn’t accessible to the general public would they feel the need to update this?

Summer was listed as being barefoot. Just wondering if the parents later realized a pair of her shoes were missing and they reported this to LE, would LE update the public with this new information? Since the area they are searching isn’t accessible to the general public would they feel the need to update this?
Given what appeared to be a highly disorganized abode, I don't think the parents would easily know what, or what not might have been missing.

That's a good question.
Per her NCMEC info and poster, Summer is listed as possibly barefoot. I suspect that Summer was reported as last seen wearing shoes (such as when she was planting flowers/walking into the house) but behaviorally was known to take them off as soon as she was allowed or as soon as possible, and so parents reported that behavior to investigators. Or a pair of shoes she frequently wore or had worn at some point that day was located. Or a witness saw her without shoes prior to her going missing. Or witnesses could not accurately describe her footwear that day. Or she had kicked them off in the car. Or they were located later, and parents reported that to LE. Or, or, or.....
Anyway, good question.

Last edited:
If the correct information isn't relayed immediately it is difficult for an investigation to proceed in the right direction. I suspect this is what stymied Law Enforcement in the first place. But I don't know.

I agree. I just think that all three of the most likely scenarios as to what happened to Summer result in similar SAR responses. With the exception of a trafficking situation or an atypical abduction (with abductor traveling a great distance away from the residence with the child) I can't see this child being located far from her place last seen. Does anyone else see a scenario in which this is likely? TIA for thoughts.

Given what appeared to be a highly disorganized abode, I don't think the parents would easily know what, or what not might have been missing.

Agreed. And you verbalized that far more eloquently than I could have done.

Generally, in my experience, if young kids leave the house, in the summer, they go outside without shoes. Unless someone, like Mom, yells at them. Which brings up an excellent point, Summer may have been outside walking, barefoot, and stepped on something, wasps nest, bees, glass, whatever...been too injured to walk back home. Crawled under a tree, with bushes around it, fell asleep, and within a day or two, with heat...

In an area like this, it could almost be impossible to look under every single bushy area...

I'm not certain that's accurate. My kid is away at college, I don't even have to look in her closet, she has all of her Chucks at school and one pair of black flats for band concerts. Because those are the shoes she puts on for her day to day business. Even in disorganization, most parents know which shoes belong to which kid and which ones were missing. CW, I think, has been in the midst of what we used to call a nervous breakdown. It's hard to function in a major depressive episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AR Sleuth