Trial date set for Sidney and Tammy Moorer #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking from a strictly rational, demographic perspective, the results don't surprise me. Sadly, a lot of people only read the lurid information and immediate disconnect when they see the "married man cheating with young woman" articles. They like the soundbite, but they don't empathize or form an emotional connection with the missing person. Had HE been found, beaten or dead, it would have been a somewhat different reaction. In this case all of the TM self promotion and ridiculous postings also turned a lot of people off. It is such a heartbreaking case and Heather deserves so much more. I'm grateful there are still so many of us working toward justice for her.

There is still a trial if there is a directed verdict, but only the prosecution presents its case. The defense then moves for a directed verdict before they present their case, and if granted, they don't have to do anything. AFAIK the gag order is irrelevant once the trial starts.

Does anyone know of any cases of a similar nature to this one in which the defense requested a directed verdict and it was granted? I'm kind of curious about that.

Does anyone know of any cases of a similar nature to this one in which the defense requested a directed verdict and it was granted? I'm kind of curious about that.

I had never even heard of it before it got brought up here. I would think it is way more common for a case to get dismissed pre-trial due to a lack of evidence. I really don't think there is any chance a directed verdict would happen in this case. I would think the phone call evidence alone would be enough to keep a directed verdict from happening.

http://www.scnow.com/news/local/article_9abc5955-8b78-518a-af84-870eaa75a6bb.html

Aug. 18, 2005 ... Circuit Court Judge Michael Baxley grants a directed verdict in the Hanna brothers’ trial, effectively dismissing all charges against the defendants in connection with Teresa Hanna’s death.
Aug. 19, 2005 ... Teresa Powell’s family members announce their intention to sue the Hanna brothers for wrongful death.
Aug. 30, 2005 ... Twelfth Circuit Solicitor Ed Clements III announces that by law, the state cannot pursue an appeal of Baxley’s decision to acquit Darry and Davy Hanna of all charges connected to the slaying of Teresa Hanna. The solicitor reviewed the case with members of the S.C. Attorney General’s Office staff but found that case law prohibits the state from appealing a directed verdict of acquittal.
Aug. 9, 2006, ... Davy and Darry Hanna are arrested a day after a federal grand jury indicts them on 22 counts each — one count of conspiracy to commit mail and wire fraud, 19 counts of mail fraud, and two counts of wire fraud. The indictment alleges that the brothers conspired to kill Teresa Hanna and filed claims to collect money from her life-insurance and accidental-death insurance policies.

Davy Hanna committed suicide & Darry Hanna was sentenced to 440 years in a Federal prison on the fraud charges.

There was enough evidence to convince the federal court that murder was committed but the Circuit Court Judge granted a directed verdict.

Here is an interesting directed verdict case involving a [self defense] stabbing that resulted in death.

Murder suspect acquitted of McClellanville stabbing
December 9th, 2012

Tyrone Winslow Jr. spent two years in jail waiting for a trial that, by all accounts, never should have happened.

The 21-year-old McClellanville man never denied stabbing a man to death in 2010, but he had claimed self-defense.

He was acquitted last week on a murder charge, and the courtroom consensus was that he should have been exonerated all along.

While prosecutors and defense attorneys disagree on the evidence and the reason for Winslow’s extended incarceration, there was one inescapable fact that both sides agreed on — Winslow did not commit murder.

Winslow had faced a trial after killing 27-year-old Matthew Jerome Williams outside Club 17 North off U.S. Highway 17 near McClellanville.

Winslow’s jail stay ended Thursday when Circuit Judge Stephanie McDonald issued a directed verdict in his favor in a courtroom in Charleston.

[...]

And an interesting blog article by Myrtle Beach Defense Attorney, Bobby G. Frederick...

Directed verdict of acquittal in Charleston murder trial
December 9, 2012 3 Comments Written by Bobby G. Frederick

<snipped>

BBM

Until the case comes to trial, no one has the power to dismiss the charges and release a person except the prosecutor. The prosecutor is the only party responsible for bringing the case to trial, and responsible for the delay in bringing a case to trial. It does highlight the need for a change – it illustrates why prosecutor control of the docket is unfair.

<snipped>

Whether to trust a prosecutor to dismiss a case in the interest of justice based on exculpatory evidence uncovered by the defense is a judgment call that will depend on the strength of the evidence, the politics involved in a particular case, who the prosecutor is and what that prosecutor’s (or their office) track record is in prior cases. Also, what does it say about the Ninth Circuit Solicitor’s Office and the Ninth Circuit Public Defender’s Office when the public defender does a better job investigating than the Solicitor and Sheriff’s office combined?

Problem in this case is that with the gag order we don't know much. The calls and video from that night may be interesting but I'd feel more comfortable knowing the state has more evidence other than that. In my mind the M's totally did it but the thought they may get away with it is just... unbearable. Heather deserves justice she just didn't vanished from the face of the earth for sure!

sent from my mobile using tapatalk

It's the 18th, another month and prayer vigil for Heather. Wish we had an update and answers. Where's Heather??

Hello Everyone. I found the thread for this case. LOL :)

I have been looking for it for some time and finally figured out how to search. I can never get the Search fields here to work for me because I dont know how to use them so I searched in Google and found it. LOL

Just checking in on my friends on the Heather thread. Another month has gone by, another birthday missed. Where is Heather?

Since this is the trial date thread...

Any news or hints of when the trial will be held? (I'm thinking sometime in 2016).

I checked BW's Facebook and it doesn't look she has had a baby yet. They haven't even had the pre-lim yet, have they?

Just a quick note until I can catch up! Happy 4th everyone! And Happy Birthday Rayden!! Your Mimi loves you and can't believe you are already ONE! Someday I will figure out how to post a pic of you from my phone!

Hearings scheduled for week of May 11 in Heather Elvis case postponed
Posted: Tuesday, May 5, 2015 4:03 pm
By Michael Smith

"After a telephone conference with all parties, it was determined there is no need to have motion hearings for the week of May 11th in State vs. Moorer," the release said. "Since there is a gag order in effect, we are unable to comment further."

and

Circuit Judge signs order continuing murder trial in Heather Elvis case
Posted: Wednesday, March 25, 2015 3:15 pm

The trial of Sidney and Tammy Moorer is on hold.

Previously scheduled for the week of May 11, the case has been continued, according to an order signed by Circuit Judge Markley Dennis.

A new trial date has not been set but Judge Dennis is not specifically scheduled to be in Horry County the rest of the year, according to the S.C. Judicial Department.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sadiew85