trial day 32: the defense continues its case in chief #93

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're watching HLN, quickly change the channel, and slowly put the remote down and back away from the television.... no sudden moves....

I keep seeing all of these comments about how inept this judge is and how she's not handling this death penalty case very well, and I just don't see it.

I think a lot of people commenting on this don't completely understand exactly what a judge can and can't do, and what might give rise to a point of appeal.

There are a couple of decisions of hers that I take issue with, but nothing major that in any way prejudiced the prosecution.

So, court starts late every day? 15 minutes on average, and it's often not because the judge is not ready -- and it's not harming anything. The courts are way overburdened and much of this cannot be avoided, especially in a county like Maricopa that has a limited budget.

What exactly does anyone think she has done wrong that is prejudicial to one side or the other?

:seeya: Respectfully, I will have to disagree on a few of these points :

- Court starts late all the time ... It is very disrespectful to the Jury, and disrespectful to the attorneys that are ready to go ... and it's disrespectful to Travis' family ...

I know the courts are overburdened ... but she's been on the bench a while, so she should have a handle by now on "time management skills" ...

- I understand why the concern about an appeal -- but no matter whether JA gets the DP or LWOP, there will be an appeal ...

- She has absolutely no control over the courtroom ... she lets Jodi's mother and aunt "giggle" like schoolgirls and doesn't say a word ... she allows "gum chewing" which is totally disrespectful in the court -- especially for the person sitting next to you ... Example : Today, when the camera was panning the gallery, there was a woman sitting in the row behind JA's family and she actually took the gum out of her mouth and put it back in the wrapper ... I was like wth ?

- She really needs to control her courtroom ... I'm not saying she needs to be a "dictator" about it -- but it's like she has NO "confidence" in what she is doing up there ... she seems to "second guess" herself all the time ... Now, that may be because she is not familiar with many of the issues that have come up during this trial, and I get that ...

- I may get flack on this one, but it's like she has NO personality at all -- I know a judge does not have to have a "personality" up on the bench -- but they should be CONFIDENT in what they are doing up there and CONTROL ... IMO, she has neither ...

- One of the issues that was MOST PREJUDICIAL was to allow Jodi and the DT to continue with the LIES that Travis was a "pedophile" :furious:

That was WRONG -- Death Penalty or no DP -- it was WRONG ... Travis is not here to defend himself ... and it is WRONG to allow these LIES in because Travis' family has been through enough ...

We may not agree ... but that's okay ... I will still respect your opinion.

:seeya:

On the day she is found guilty ( I hope and pray) I want someone to tell her to grab that handle on her chair and raise that sucker up.....sick of seeing her appear to be so small and tiny.:banghead:

Desperate to do the same I scrambled for the remote, it crashed to the floor, me right behind it. Too late to hit the mute. :facepalm:

I know it's terrible. I've got a lap full of boxes as I was working on something. The remote is across the couch and I can't reach it.

It's times like this I wish I had a bigger dog, one that would get and bring me anything I desperatly point to.

:praying: Please, for love of all that is good on this earth. Let my hubby walk through the door.

If I was on the jury I would have to throw out every word of his testimony when deliberating.

Absolutely. He didn't come off as a strong witness to begin with. Plus, we've all seen this type before -- those who can, do; those who can't, testify. -- That's not always true, as we know -- the PT expert in the Conrad Murray trial (Michael Jackson's doctor/killer) was amazing -- an anesthesiologist who accepted NO MONEY for his testimony, which took many hours on the stand, multiple days -- simply did it to defend propofol, the drug used to put MJ to sleep each night, administered by Murray, a cardiologist. He and so many other anesthesiologists were so trusting & dependent on this drug which took effect immediately and once it was stopped, the effects were gone immediately -- he was up there defending the propofol so it wouldn't be put in a special class which would make it much more difficult to use.

Anyway, yes, we can discard part of a witness's testimony or all of it. And it would give me a headache to try & sift through all of his testimony to see what part(s) I would deem believable and helpful to me in coming to a verdict. Plus, and this may sound snobby, I did not think his C.V. was particularly impressive in the least. No pubs -- very odd. All he seems to be doing is witnessing which is quite rewarding monetarily. Is he all they could find? JMHO

Aaaaaarrrgh! I'm trying to find the typed report done on the camera and I've checked my bookmarks and searched the media thread over and over again for almost an hour! :banghead: Please, please can someone put me out of my misery and post a link if they have one?
:please:

ETA:
OK I think my timing is bad :biggrin:

<modsnip> is dispicable! i cannot watch this guy

im so glad i didn't follow FCA trial my god i would have had an aneurysm or something

He used the MCMI which is something like 175 questions versus the MMPI which is something like 550+ questions. I know that in Minnesota in child abuse accusation cases the parent(s) of the child in question are generally required to take an MMPI to determine if other factors are at play. It's my understanding the MMPI is more comprehensive than the MCMI, so it would seem more appropriate when you are trying to get an understanding of a complex situation, imho of course.
You're exactly right. The MCMI is 175 questions compared to 567 on the MMPI.

I call the MCMI the tongue depressor of the psych world. Its a very good, very basic first step but that's what it should be treated as. It tests for many psych disorders. Most forensic psychologists repeat either the MCMI or MMPI (the majority use MMPI) every six months too as a general rule so why exactly is this 'expert' basing his entire testimony on one very generic test performed 3 years ago? :dunno:

I had to turn it off when I saw them bring out Mr. Baez for the "defense."

He disgusts me with every fiber of my being. I don't know how VP sits there at the table with him and doesn't rip his vertebrae out through his throat

Or maybe a Walmart, Tesoro employee?

The State provided a Fourteenth Supplemental List of Witnesses on March 08, 2013 to include the following rebuttal witnesses:

WAL-MART

Amanda Webb
1800(6?) N Main
Salinas, Ca 93906

TESORO COMPANIES, INC.
Chelsey Young
19100 Ridgewood Parkway
San Antonio, Tx 78259

link: http://twitdoc.com/upload/zou2/ja-docs.pdf

P.S. In case someone missed it (unlikely), JM received an email from Tesoro, stating that they reviewed the records/receipts and claimed that all three purchases made bu JA in SLC were for gasoline.

I know everyone knows this by now (or almost everyone), but I just lurve writing it. Every time I do I a Shenzi shiver/shake of glee... (only it's for Martinez, not Mufasa in this case) :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=yhZ0TKdgJGg#t=47s

Desperate to do the same I scrambled for the remote, it crashed to the floor, me right behind it. Too late to hit the mute. :facepalm:

Yikes. I hope you didn't get hurt. Meaning other than the assault on your ears.

So, basically, this HLN After Dark show is designed to help prove the defense's case and get Jodi off?

If you're watching HLN, quickly change the channel, and slowly put the remote down and back away from the television.... no sudden moves....

They aren't even the same shelves:furious:....vinnie is too tall...this is stupid!!!

Oh...wait....I'm not actually watching this :innocent:

I'm disappointed with this reenactment. They have the palm print in the wrong place and that defense attorney stepped on the bottom shelf, not the 2nd or 3rd shelf....unless I saw that wrong.

JUST A REMINDER>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.
OT

Turn off HLN right NOW - unless you want to back an attorney who is a disgrace to Caylee's memory.

The TV is off, but I do wonder if Travis drowned in the pool ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member