trial day 41: the defense continues its case in chief #122

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree about Juan making a mistake. And about her being likable....BUT I adore you and your intelligent posts and spot-on insights. I agree that ALV actually believes what she is saying. I just think its not at all relevent to this case in particular.

Moo. And much love to Gitana!

Juan is making no mistakes. He is so far ahead of the DT it should be a crime (ha).

The only reason they object is because they're so far behind that random objections are their only strategy.

Anyone criticizing Juan simply doesn't realize where he is going.

I love how Mr Martinez asked her. Alyce. About her conference's
On snow white being abused ans she states that she has no info
On Snow White as an adult with the king or prince or whatever

Those were her actual words.

She doesn't even know who Snow White hooked up with. T

Too funny

I lmao when I heard it in actual trial laughing more now that
It is on dr drew

ALV has totally turned my view of this case 180 degrees. I'm not sure what the Jury is doing with her testimony, but if there is one woman who is familiar with domestic abuse on the panel, they are looking at a hung jury. More than one--murder two or less. And, JM isn't doing the prosecution any favors by using his one speed fits all on her--he is just looking boorish and annoying.

IMO
The two women who had incidents of domestic violence in their history were stricken during jury selection.

However, I'm familiar and I find her testimony unsettling, misguided, and inappropriate. She has a very firm grasp of abusive behaviors but hasn't placed those behaviors in proper perspective and is simultaneously blatantly ignoring obvious red flags of controlling behaviors on Jodi's part which could easily be synonymous with many abusive personalities.

I honestly believe someone with a DV history could've only helped the State portray Travis as a victim of intimate partner violence during deliberations.

JMO

I dunno about you guys... but I am ROYALLY SCREWED if my text messages and emails ever go on trial. :jail: Will someone sneak me some anti-fungal cream when I go to the big house? TIA

I once had a HORRIFIC panic attack in law school..heart racing, freaking out, sweating, etc. felt like I was dying. The first thing I did before getting ready to go to student health was erase my text messages so that my southern, baptist family didn't get the vapors when they came to collect my belongings after my untimely demise...lol.

JM's snow white analogy is pretty brilliant. Because of his nature I think it's hard for him to walk away from a line of questioning without eliciting the exact point he wants to make, so when a witness won't cooperate it's very frustrating, for us and especially for him. I could tell by the smirk on AL's face when he brought up the snow white speech that this was going to be an embarrassing fact for her. Academics especially love using fairy tales to make their case. I was once asked to re-write a fairy tale in a politically correct fashion for a psych class, so I get it. Psychology is a soft science at best, conjecture/subjective interpretation at its worst, and pure projection at its most heinous. It's no secret that a lot of people who go into psychology/mental health have a lot of issues of their own. AL has issues, no doubt, and to use a child's fairy tale to bolster a theory about domestic abuse, or gender roles, or whatever--tells us more about her personally than the case she was trying to make!

OMG ... I took a nap because I thought Willmoth would drag this out and I see I missed Mr. Martinez ... so I am watching now !

I am :furious: at that snarky and unprofessional remark made by Willmoth :

"Do you have a memory problem?"

:furious: What a smart alec !

:furious: And there's Jodi laughing about it ! She won't be laughing when she gets the DP -- or will she ?

Ahhhh ... off to finish watching and will check back here later !

:seeya:

Did anyone notice how the trainee Wilmcott uses the same objections that she learned from Juan? At one point, she objects and says "relevnce, foundation, etc" all at once. All stuff she has learned from Juan.

I am totally convined that Wilmcott needs sidebars to learn how to phrase her questions and learn what is proper protocol in how she is running her part of the trial.

What a horrible set of defense attorneys to have on your side if you are facing the death penalty. Good Grief. Just drag out old Sparky right now.

I totally missed what was said that brought on the laughing in the gallery while Juan was questioning ALV. That's my luck, someone came to the door causing my dogs to bark like crazy just when that happened. Could someone please fill me in? Pleeez

Yes, it's definitely a "tactic" a way to question and the Defense should be note taking, to come back on re-cross and allow them to elaborate on a few of those.
(reminds me of how my dad used to ask me questions actually...and yes, he was an Attorney lol)

"ALV, Mr Martinez asked you if you had eaten one of every pastry in the entire bakery and you said yes didn't you?"

ALV: "yes I did"

"How long did it take you to eat all that Pastry?"

ALV: "two years"

6.jpg

it's extremely effective!

ALV has totally turned my view of this case 180 degrees. I'm not sure what the Jury is doing with her testimony, but if there is one woman who is familiar with domestic abuse on the panel, they are looking at a hung jury. More than one--murder two or less. And, JM isn't doing the prosecution any favors by using his one speed fits all on her--he is just looking boorish and annoying.

IMO

I completely disagree with you because ALV's resource came from Jodi Arias. The liar, which made ALV a liar also. And she is getting paid for it and she loves it because her bias against men came across loud and clear. JM needs to rip her to shreds. I will back him all the way!!! This woman is mean and untruthful.

IMO

I completely disagree with you. Most domestic violence victims I've seen interviewed about this case are incensed that they're implying Jodi Arias was an abuse victim. It's a slap in the face to actual victims of domestic violence. I think Juan will eat her alive and show her she has no way of knowing what happened between those two other than what a known liar has told her.

We can discuss her book in such a way as it is relevant to her testimony...we just can't go out of our way to ruin the woman, like leaving nasty reviews of a book we've never read. And to be fair to her co-author, Ola Barnett, who isn't testifying for the defense - the book is indeed a collaborative effort.

I haven't read it but I did read the Snow White portion (page 71). (Personally I prefer Patricia Evans, Beverly Engel, Lundy Bancroft, and Gavin de Becker but that's rather another topic.)

Anyway, her basic premise is that abuse victims are naive, gullible, compassionate, sweet, passive and 'exceedingly helpless' - like Snow White - but they are compelled when leaving, or attempting to leave, abusive situations to become the Wicked Witch. Further, her compassion and empathy disempower her. She's requested to change into a character she's never liked. The witch is described as controlling, assertive, calculating and strong, et al.

As a survivor I personally feel this is incredibly simplistic and really grossly inadequate. In fact, its kind of written from the perspective of someone who knows 'about' abuse but hasn't actually lived it. I don't know what her history is. When leaving, a victim does have to become assertive but where this is a scary and daunting perspective, I don't believe its akin to becoming a calculating witch for survivors. It's terrifying because we're on our own after being told for too long we'd never survive it. ;)

And it kind of altogether ignores the psychological abuse and manipulation abusers utilize specifically to prey on a victim's compassion and empathy while simultaneously instilling doubt they could survive on their own - all solely to keep them in the relationship. I just can't find how her version is even remotely relative to intimate partner violence or what path she took to get to her conclusion.

Very well said!So very sorry you were a victim but I am very glad you have survived and thrived She IMO is someone who might have the degrees but has no common sense and never was a victim of a violent spouse, so she really does more harm then good IMO.Can you imagine though the years how many woman she counseled to become aggressive ,combative or confrontational with an abuser?That is the last thing a woman or man needs to do with a abuser,very dangerous IMO that is what got Travis slaughtered!. I have not been abused but know many woman who have been both the abused and the abuser.Woman abuse more emotionally and mentally then physically in my circle of people I know.

I'm almost out of liquor. Not sure I can finish the talking heads. Did they watch the trial? Do they know how he catches them off guard ? Grrr

Nothing can top the princess in Rumplestiltskin whose dh orders her to spin a room full of straw into gold by morning or else. ALV tried to make Travis sound that evil today.

Anyone remember the story The Princess and the Pea. Talk about abuse....The evil mother never allowing her to sleep by putting a pea under the mattress. Nothing makes one crazier than no sleep.

With all respect.

How can you find her likeable, yet be outraged at her ridiculous testimony? :confused:

She referred to Travis as a perpetrator today :(

Shoot me, but I agree. She may have an archaic view on todays world and still looking through Elton John's star shaped, rose colored glasses, but she was a pioneer in DV. She fought the battle when the rest of us were kids. I do believe she is sincere, but unfortunately in a time warp with todays mores and sexual equality. Imo she is wrong, but not willfully so and not because she is being paid.

IMO

Late 1980's I left a physically abusive man...I read every book including L. Walker's book. Years later it still affects me. I wanted to here her talk on DV. What a disappointment.

ALV is bias to the extreme....toward women/against men. Blinded (by what???) She fails completely to see the power Jodi had over Travis...and to acknowledge Jodi as a stalker and cold blooded murder. I would say more about what I think of ALV...but I am new and don;t want to get kicked out!!

She had hundreds, maybe thousands, of pages of Travis own words--to Jodi, to other women, in video, in audio, in his own journals--probably much more valuable than actually interviewing him in person.

IMO

And I liked the naming of names, makes the pedo claim totally unbelievable. TA clearly liked women not kids!

Welp. One thing about it....that was ALL the defense had. Everything from now on out is mopping up the mess they made.

The END is near....now we just have to make sure nothing B-A-D happens. JM has all weekend to get his cross of ALV in order. But the DT has all weekend to conjure up dozens of reasons for a mistrial. May good win out over evil and put that lying pathetic loser excuse for a human being locked away forever....then all will be right with the world. Amen

The two women who had incidents of domestic violence in their history were stricken during jury selection.

However, I'm familiar and I find her testimony unsettling, misguided, and inappropriate. She has a very firm grasp of abusive behaviors but hasn't placed those behaviors in proper perspective and is simultaneously blatantly ignoring obvious red flags of controlling behaviors on Jodi's part which could easily be synonymous with many abusive personalities.

I honestly believe someone with a DV history could've only helped the State portray Travis as a victim of intimate partner violence during deliberations.

JMO
Which makes the witness technically a 'paid liar'

Thank you for your most personal posts. :hug:

Yes... the sweet girl with the bad dad and the stepmother who did not protect her and the evil step sisters...

OH! and the mean cat!

Were Travis and his friends "dwarfs" NO!

I would watch it too.
I don't have it anymore :(

...I did kinda wait with baited breath before her reply about the age of the dwarfs... to me, they're old men (eww).

Initially I thought AV maybe used the Clarissa Pinkola Estes ("women who run with the wolves" interpretation of Snow White... to learn it is the Disney version? Really?

Still can't remember the end of the movie, tho'.
Don't have it myself - will stream it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member