trial day 50: REBUTTAL; #153

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
For anyone interested in JA MMPI-2 "elevated" scores on the 10 Clinical scales. She was elevated on 7 of the 10 clinical scales.

I was most interested in the one she was the most elevated on and thought you might be too. Her T-score on the Psychopathic Deviate scale was a 105 (highest of all of her elevated scores) with 65 being the threshold for clinically significant. If you want to research the scales the developer of the test is Pearson.

Psychopathic Deviate (PD)- Hathaway & McKinley (1944). (50 items). High: Poor impulse control, disidentification with societal standards, authority conflicts, marital and family conflicts, inconsiderate, narcissistic, poor judgment, extroverted, self-confident, hostile, parasitic and externalizes blame. Low: Overly conventional and conforming, passive, trusting and non-competitive. Pd is a great characterlogical scale of narcissism, externalization of blame, exploitiveness, and hostility. The subscales for Pd are very important in understanding elevations in Pd. Elevations in Pd can be due to a hostile, exploitive and truly psychopathic mentality, or moderate elevations can be an extroverted normal going through a divorce, or a normal teenager. If Pd-O is greater than Pd, then the more pathological interpretations should be used. If Pd-S is higher than Pd, then the more benign interpretations should be used. It is helpful to also look at the content scales of anger, authority problems, family problems etc. to help understand elevations in Pd.

I know scales need to be seen globally as well as individually, yet I do not understand why this scale was not discussed in detail/ad naseum IMHO.

That's so useful. Thanks!

My theory is that the prosecution is keeping their eye on the prize. BPD fits with her behaviour in reference to Travis. It's easily understandable and explainable. It goes to motive. Although motive is not needed to prove guilt, as I understand it, it seems that juries like that angle explained- it's persuasive. In addition, more people can relate to BPD than to the concept of psychopathy, which can be misconstrued and completely misunderstood- it's a more sophisticated and complex diagnosis.

I believe that highlighting BPD was a strategic move. It fits so nicely with the crime and the perp's behaviour. It's just the tip of the iceberg, but it's enough.

ETA: If there is a mental health type on the jury, they will probably have noticed this scale as well. I would have.

ETA: I wonder if they can use it in the penalty phase.

Rebuttal witness wish list:

1. Chris/Sky Hughes
2. Travis' gun enthusiast friend
3. Clancy
4. Matt McCartney

Agree/disagree? I am willing to defend these choices!

I think he did. I remember at some point he and jodi were living in a tent together.........

Okay, I went back and suffered through a little bit of JA testimony on day 14. Here's the timeline:

In September of 2001, while working at Applebee's in Ashland, OR, JA found out about Matt cheating on her with Bianca. She immediately drove 1.5 hours to confront Bianca at the Lodge at Crater Lake. Jodi and Matt broke up a few days later in Medford.

In October, 2001, Jodi left the southern Oregon area. Jodi got a job as a server in the restaurant at Ventana Inn and Spa in Big Sur, California. After her interview with Darryl Brewer, Brewer hired her. She was allowed to use the campground with other employees there, and she bought a tent and lived in it. Matt McCartney moved to California and was hired at Ventana about a week later. They then lived together in the tent for two weeks. Jodi said that there were "blurred boundaries" during this time and recalled that they had sex "one time."

During the summer of 2001 Jodi developed a crush on Darryl. In 2002, Jodi took the position of wedding coordinator at Ventana. Darryl resigned his management position after one year, but retained a supervisory job at Ventana. Jodi and Darryl "discovered" their "mutual interest" in early 2002. After a short but unclear period of time, Darryl took another step down to become a server. They began dating while Jodi and Darryl were both still living in staff housing in separate apartments.

Jodi worked at Ventana for 3.5 years.

Darryl and Jodi bought a house together in Monterey in 2005.

Redundant disclaimer: This is all coming from the mouth of Jodi, so you know that a large percentage of it may not be true at all.

:waitasec: So the Judge called today's hearing ...

JMO, but it MUST be important ...

Any ideas ? TIA !

:moo:

But why wouldn't she remove the memory card, just to be safe? As a "photographer" she would know better. I think it was something she forgot about in her rush to get out of dodge.

Because she has shown time and again, that she isn't as smart as she thinks she is.

Buys a gas can with credit card - buys gas for 3 gas cans on credit card
Turns her license plate upside down and gets pulled over
Uses her grandfathers reportedly stolen gun
Takes pictures of herself during commission of crime
Distinctly asks for inconspicuous rental car
Dyes hair during exact crime timeframe
Her lies can't account for most of the most pressing items

ETC, ETC...

Do you really believe that she's intelligent enough to figure out the abilities of a new, technologically advanced camera that isn't hers? NAY!

But why wouldn't she remove the memory card, just to be safe? As a "photographer" she would know better. I think it was something she forgot about in her rush to get out of dodge.

This is exactly where I get hung up. Just take the card! No one would have known for certain if it had one in it earlier or not.

BBM

Thanks for the post.

Also, do you remember someone on one of the shows said he introduced Travis to Jodi?

Well, according to Jodi on 48 hours, she was walking down the hall and Travis was going the other direction. He saw this beautiful, gorgeous blond girl (OK I ADDED THIS PART OF LIE) turned around and put his hand out and introduced himself.

Jodi had to make everything look special and fantastic. Just like the cinnabon story. He had one waiting for her when she got back from a trip, with a cinnabon recipe printed on pink paper..... :banghead:
David Hughes (pretty certain he is the brother/BIL of Chris and Sky) told JVM that he introduced Jodi to Travis. Here's the link to his appearance on JVM's show:

http://www.hlntv.com/video/2013/01/15/i-introduced-travis-jodi-arias

Exactly, how can something be prejudicial if it's the truth, seems judicial would be a much more accurate term, which is what this trial is supposed to be about, at least so I thought.

Imo, it's because there's a little more to it than whether it's truthful.

The rule is that "Although relevant, evidence may be excluded if its probative value is substantially outweighed by the danger of unfair prejudice, confusion of the issues, or misleading the jury, or by considerations of undue delay, waste of time, or needless presentation of cumulative evidence."

http://www.arizonacrimelaws.com/e403.htm

From what I understand the camera was brand new in the box. If it is missing altogether I think she thinks that could have linked her to the murder..

She believed she destroyed that camera and all the pictures. That her dna would be gone and that all trace of her was going to be gone..

IT makes sense. I would think that. Anything that has ended up in the washer at my house, Games, phones.. Have all been ruined..

Worrying about the camera being "missing" more than worrying about getting rid of one of the most incriminating pieces of evidence, does not seem that intelligent. If one is above average intelligence, would they not reason that they can't know for sure if the washer would destroy all the evidence? I think she at some level, really wanted those sex pictures of them found!

Is anyone airing the hearing? I saw on the Support TA FB page that it is open. Went to Wild and AZ...no one has it on...TIA

Because it was his. It could have come with it and if it was missing they would be looking for it and would connect that to her. She thought she erased it. I think it shows just how she was NOT a real photographer. I would think if I erased them then washed the whole darn thing it would be gone for good. Corrupted. How many times have we done this by accident and mourned the loss of the pictures.

I don't think she forgot a thing. She planned this whole thing.. Takes the knife and gun, washes the sheets, knows that washing a camera will destroy it.. She deletes the pictures thinking that and washing the camera are enough...

She did really good clean up considering the fog.... ;)

:waitasec: So the Judge called today's hearing ...

JMO, but it MUST be important ...

Any ideas ? TIA !

:moo:

I hate to say it since I haven't read all of the threads since court finished yesterday (Thursday) but is it possible they are checking out the YouTube where Wilmott "might" have said the B-word about Dr. DeMarte?

Yep, I saw that, LMAO! But now I've got those crazy color bars and the loud beeeeeep. I have no idea what's going on there.

:dunno: Guess they don't want us to know Jean C's beauty secrets. :lol:

Can someone please expain for me why they keep talking about Jodi possibly having PTSD? What is the signifigance? I personally could care less if she is depressed/anxious AFTER she murdered Travis. I suppose I'd be screwed up too if I butchered someone like that. If I were on that jury, all I would care about is what happened the day of the crime. Who cares about how SHE feels afterwards!!!

I hate to say it since I haven't read all of the threads since court finished yesterday (Thursday) but is it possible they are checking out the YouTube where Wilmott "might" have said the B-word about Dr. DeMarte?

:please: I hope so ! That would be :D

I always have to mention that I find the community here to be absolutely delightful. So much insight and humor!

I've reviewed Dr. DeMarte's testimony several times and hope that the jurors understand just how evil JA is, and that it's not about the diagnosis of BPD. I've met and worked with a number of people with a variety of disorders, and they're almost all aware that they have impulses that result in unacceptable behavior and violation of boundaries. They struggle with control, but they know the difference between right and wrong and accept responsibility for managing their interpersonal relationships and their own internal conflicts.

It's a philosophical question: who is actually "moral"? Is it the person who has no bad impulses and behaves perfectly as a consequence of their natural inclinations, or is it the person whose instincts would lead them to terrible behavior but they manage to control themselves most of the time? I have tremendous respect for people who have the courage to develop self-awareness in spite of the fact that there are some difficult realities to face, and then create coping strategies that lead to healthier lives.

I've found the psychological testimony to be interesting but completely unnecessary. If JA was intrusive, manipulative, acted emotionally, spied and lied, then she's guilty of being a lousy girlfriend. For the record, I think Travis was a lousy boyfriend. This trial isn't about the romantic/sexual relationship though, it's about a brutal murder that can't be explained by referencing a personality disorder. JA's mental illness made her want what she wanted, but it's her own depravity that made it possible for her to plan and commit the crime.

I'm looking forward to seeing the trial get back on track. The story about the trip makes no sense. The license plate makes no sense. The gas cans were a lie. Travis didn't own a gun. She couldn't have escaped him if he was so enraged that he threw her to the floor and never would have made it to the closet. Everything else is deflection and I'm hoping that JM makes that clear in his closing argument.

Here's my birthday wish - since it's my birthday....

Maybe it has to do with Jodi's tweeting...and placing a gag order on her Twit?
:floorlaugh::floorlaugh:

Happy-Birthday-Chocolate-Cake.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members