Trial Discussion Thread #20 - 14.04.08, Day 18

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It was Baba the security guard that questioned why OP didn't press the panic button during his testimony. The security system OP testified about today he said he had it installed not long after her moved into the property. I think the way Baba referenced the panic button, it maybe one that all homes have installed by the estate as part of their security.

IMBW but I think Baba said that the panic button was an extra security measure that not everyone signed up for... probably cost a bit more.

Oh yes.. OP's plan is falling into place and settling nicely. We knew he would try and mesmerize the female judge... and she seems to be taking the bait. Our only hope is cross at this point... something needs to be done here... whatever it is, I hope it works... the truth needs to emerge.

Hospitalized? For what? Bad acting maybe...

I don't think she is .. Judge Masipa is a highly experienced judge and has presided over numerous DV murder cases .. I doubt very much whether there is any pulling the wool over her eyes. Her body language was saying it all these last couple of days, and it was screaming 'do not insult my intelligence!!' The fact that she has let him off early has nothing to do with any taking of the bait, because the prosecution were in agreement with court being adjourned today too, so presumably there wasn't a lot more she could do in that regard. But she's not stupid, and she won't be taken in by any of this malarky, that's for sure!

He is playing the victim , he wants everyone to feel sorry for him. He is also playing the court like a fiddle, it appears he is the one in charge not 'My lady ' he is calling the shots as to when an adjournment is due etc by his acting up and will continue to do so if he keeps getting away with it. She needs to put her foot down and keep in mind the real victim's family who are sitting there day after day to see justice done for their daughter, only to be faced with this debacle.

Strange after such a display of emotion he can walk out of court as cool as a cucumber!!!

And you believe Dewani's mental state ?

I have no idea. I have not followed the case at all but I suppose if a psychiatrist determines he has a problem the court has to make some allowances until they feel the wool may be being pulled over their eyes. I guess that point must have been reached for him to have been extradited.

I know nothing about his case other than he is supposed to have murdered his new wife and two SA's have admitted doing it for money but maybe it is time I read the background. Possibly, it may be televised. I am hoping so.

Did I hear OP give an account about how the decorators had disconnected the burglar alarm, or was it the panic alarm?

Whoa, I missed that. Another convenience for his story, like the broken bathroom light.

:rolleyes:

I think he may have said the outside sensors had been removed from the wall a long time ago .

Clearly never seemed to bother him before then, else he would've had another one put in (or not had the original one taken out in the first place).

OH MY GOODNESS.. so true... the last few seconds of this one...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOnoiIPsLbA

Can you believe this guy? Falling apart, crying, WAILING!!!! Extra ferocity at the end... this is turning into an exhibition... ha! What a joke...

C'mon, Nell, get in there and put an end TO THIS MOCKERY!!!!!

Listen to him cry at the end there... oh man... oh...

SA live trials will end up toping the US ones for excitement what with OP's vomits and sobs and soon to come the post traumatically stressed Dewani!

Oh yeah, Dewani... another young man who has not had the bottle to face the charges. Glad he is finally back in SA and shame on the British justice system that has allowed his histrionics to go on for so long.

.. one thing at least is that we have not allowed him to be living in the comfort of friends or rellies homes, or to go swanning off on holiday, like OP has been doing. OP should never have been granted bail, he should be awaiting his case in prison (or prison hospital) just like everyone else who has brutually killed has to. They are all innocent until proven guilty, too.

I don't think she is .. Judge Masipa is a highly experienced judge and has presided over numerous DV murder cases .. I doubt very much whether there is any pulling the wool over her eyes. Her body language was saying it all these last couple of days, and it was screaming 'do not insult my intelligence!!' The fact that she has let him off early has nothing to do with any taking of the bait, because the prosecution were in agreement with court being adjourned today too, so presumably there wasn't a lot more she could do in that regard. But she's not stupid, and she won't be taken in by any of this malarky, that's for sure!

I saw it on TV where he started sobbing and she called for adjournment. She did NOT seem too pleased, IMO. IMO she had a very annoyed look on her face, a look of "here we go again." I think Roux is going to drill it into Oscar that he might take this sobbing thing a little too far and begin seriously annoying the judge.

JMO.

I would also guess that like in the UK, she needs to act with the utmost integrity in order to reduce the possibility of an appeal later on e.g. OP was in no fit state to carry on defending himself.

IMBW but I think Baba said that the panic button was an extra security measure that not everyone signed up for... probably cost a bit more.

Would love clarification on this one way or another .
But it is quite odd to think he has a fear of intruders so strong he could shoot through a door but be so lax about security .
I live in the UK where we don't have so much gun crime but we do not leave ladders about ,we have an alarm and a panic button ,we board up broken windows immediately , we do not allow our external sensors to be out of action or leave our bedroom door lock broken .

Considering his income and the fact that he has staff it is incredible that he would not have things repaired yet pays for a lot more guns . I think the truth is he felt safe with a gun in his hand so now it is all down to whether he can convince the judge it was reasonable for him with his disability to shoot through the door .

He went completely off script when he said "Before I knew it I shot 4 times", he admitted he shot without thinking.

I heard that but I am still pondering on whether that gives him an advantage for verdict and sentencing or not. Certainly it will likely remove "intent" in the normal sense of the word, but as under SA law "intent" can also be proven technically if the judge determines OP should, in his circumstances as a double amputee, have reasonably known that shooting blind at a door of a reduced space believing someone was inside would possibly result in death, then he could still be found guilty on that point at least.

Ooops... hold on... I think OP may even be denying thinking someone was inside the loo now as iirc he said he didn't know if there was someone inside or on the ladder outside... another difficult point covered by his very cleverly designed testimony!

SA live trials will end up toping the US ones for excitement what with OP's vomits and sobs and soon to come the post traumatically stressed Dewani!

Ah Yes Dewani ..... That is the other crime that I find incredible to deal with and will be watching that one for sure .
I can't believe the UK allowed him to have a camper van inside the grounds of the hospital and also allowed him out during the day to visit family .

My impression so far is that OP has great difficulty controlling his emotional impulses, he has been careless with guns, cars and a boat (all capable of harming others if not used responsibly), and he tends to blame others, rarely accepting any responsibility for his own actions. In court, he went so far as to plug his ears to avoid hearing the consequences of his actions. I can't imagine that made a favorable impression on the judge.

As always, all of the above is just my opinion.

Guilty on all gun charges and guilty of killing another person.

I happen to think he killed her by accident. And if he knew it was her behind that door he would not have killed her. So I guess for now that makes me more of a supporter.
Lol, join the club. I'm not a supporter of OP and think he is a little bit of an idiot but in the interests of justice, I believe it is a possibility he is telling the truth. :)

Where you based?

My impression so far is that OP has great difficulty controlling his emotional impulses, he has been careless with guns, cars and a boat (all capable of harming others if not used responsibly), and he tends to blame others, rarely accepting any responsibility for his own actions. In court, he went so far as to plug his ears to avoid hearing the consequences of his actions. I can't imagine that made a favorable impression on the judge.

I get what you're saying but I kind of feel he's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't. What would we all be saying if he was staring blankly at photos of bullet wounds in her head? If he showed anything less than shock, horror, disgust, emotion, guilt, pain?

I believe his reactions and I believe he feels nothing but sorrow and remorse, but I don't think he shot her by accident. I think there was an argument and he lost control, so I'm on neither side of the fence particularly. I trust the judge will make the right decision. :twocents:

I would add Master Manipulator to your list.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blueeyes1981