Trial Discussion Thread #37 - 14.05.12 Day 30

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
These are types of arguments that would happen at the bench in the States. It's good that we can hear them.....but the witness can hear them too, with the possibility of influencing their consequent responses.

Wonder if Oscar's just doodling/scribbling random, abstract shapes on his notepad??

N reminds her she said it was relevant for sentence and conviction, and if she is still saying her diagnosis is relevant for that, the court must refer.

This is incredible. OP's bad more than mad IMO and that's what I hope they diagnose. Nel's bringing his application!

N:The defence having called you as a witness, the court must refer. I am bringing that application.

!!!!!!

He wants OP shut away for three days observation under section 78!

So the "crazy lady" asking for exactly this at the state of the bail hearing and trial.
OP is a wreck and needs help.

Are we in for an adjournment so the judge can consider this in chambers?

Ooohhhh. Will judge M go for it?

Lost my flipping feed!!!!

Right. I'm lost. So Nel is suggesting that Oscar be sectioned? I'm confused about what's happening . . .

So if I have it correctly from my own research and this mini trial going on, if there is any doubt raised as to absence of criminal responsibility it's for the prosecution to prove BARD OP was not suffering from diminished capacity and/or responsibility otherwise there could be an appeal on that basis later on. To ensure a safe conviction the PT must refer under section 78 for a psychiatric report which if clean trial continues, if not then the court would I think have to find no criminal responsibility.

As an aside, it think it cannot be the defence's obligation to plead this as they may not even know it exists as per several convictions I know of, both in the UK and US, that were later quashed and when diminished capacity/responsibility had not been put forward by the defence because it was unknown to them.

I presume Nel is desperate to cover this if he wants a verdict to stick, and presumably also if he has any compunction or ethics, which I am sure he has should anyone think to jump on me, because there have been cases where over zealous police and prosecutors have, sometimes even on dodgy evidence, have gotten learning disabled convicted, e.g. Barry George with an IQ of 70, whose diminished capacity was not used in his defence until 2 appeals and 8 years after his conviction for murder when he was finally acquitted, and I know of a couple like this in the US through the work of the Innocence Project.

Looking at OP's reaction he doesn't realize Nel wants him assessed for 3 days

Nel is back up, he is arguing a point, fiercely. he says.. its a fact that it is now before this court that a psych made a finding, a diagnosis. why wasn't this placed before you ?? she makes a finding...

Judge.. you are saying that this falls under mental defect. because if that is the evidence, you have EVEry right to put it to me. .

Nel.. . if its a disorder , milady.. a mental illness.. or a mental defect.. ( judge says , yes, or a defect, yes ) .. a psych condition. but milady a psych condition , in the terms here in.. diagnostic and statistical definition as a disorder, its a mental illness. that's my argument.. judge, I am not sure I follow..

Nel. it is listed in the Dsmm as a disorder ,and I am arguing this is a mental illness..

Judge. where do you get this from??

nel. where do I get this from?? ( nervous laughter) .. Nel recovers..

Nel. if it affects his capacity to decide right and wrong. it is the evidence the doctor gave..

Judge... I am not sure that is the evidence??

Nel. this disorder affected his capacity to judge right or wrong..

Judge. did you write that down??

Nel. she said, his psych factors may have diminished his capacity to decide right or wrong.

Roux is up. arguing fiercely against this perception. a person who is very nervous, the court should take this into account, and not elevate it any higher.. ( Roux is fighting to keep his client out of the psych ward for 30 years ) ..

Roux says, no. this cannot be, .
Judge. you want to rephrase it??

Nel. I will rephrase it, the diagnoses of general anxiety disorder MAY have the capacity to diminish his ability to tell right from wrong?>

Vos.. NO. he doesn't have a mental illness. he can tell the diff between right and wrong, but his CAPACITY to follow thru would be diminished by his anxiety disorder. its for the court to decide.

nel. the way I interpreted your answer.. the GAD MY affect the ability to act with in tbhe accordance of right and wrong.. I am now dealing with the fact I ask you what the purpose ofyour report was. you said, it was for conviction and sentencing, and its relevance to the court. ( cunning cunning nel) .. otherwise this wouldn't have been mentioned by you. if you say, you diagnosed this may have affected his ability to act.

Vos. again. the problem is, it depends on what the offence is. I have to summarise. if he was afraid there was an intruder, then having a generalised anxiety disorder would have affected his capacity to react. .

Nel ( jumps on this. ) . but this is his exact defence on his version. not that I agree with his version. I will go thru with that report based on this evidence of this witness. I will report a section 78 (1b) and 78(2) on this accused, Mr Pistorius. . it goes so far as to motive, 92 (1) .. from the accused, who pleaded guilty , he cant remember what happened, he should be referred as to observation of his mental state..

the basis of 78 is for the court to satisfy ITSELF of the mental state of the accused.. .

if the defence purpose is to call a psych, it can only be in relation to the accused mental state. there can be no other purpose for it.

( edge of seat here.. Nel is playing a hell of a long game here ) ..

I am sure, milady, I have bought to the courts attention. I received her report an hour before court began, I am convinced that this is now the situation. my reason to proceeed with a Section 77.. the witness can be provisionally excused. I feel strongly about it, there doesn't seem any way out.

I am sure it wasn't mr Roux intention to have his client sectioned.. . I will deal with sme aspects of your report then we might have to have you back later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Neilyboy13