Trial Discussion Thread #53 - 14.12.9, Day 42 ~ final verdict~

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
And I feel so sorry for Reeva's family.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is good to hear but I suspect after lunch he will be given bail. I do hope I am wrong because he has been given such a lenient verdict. In some ways I wish Nel had appealed immediately but Nel must know what he is doing.

NOW is the time for a long lunch nel.

That is good to hear but I suspect after lunch he will be given bail. I do hope I am wrong because he has been given such a lenient verdict. In some ways I wish Nel had appealed immediately but Nel must know what he is doing.
It is a lenient verdict, but he could still receive a hefty sentence. His actions were extremely negligent. I am still hopeful that Masipa will come through - it is worrying now because there is no minimum sentence we can rely on though.

I just saw an interesting interview on the Oz APAC channel with SA criminal lawyer William Booth. He feels that OP won’t be sent to prison for CH. He said the legal fraternity are unhappy with the verdict and that he should have been found guilty of dolus eventualis. In addition, he said the fact that OP shot through a closed door would set a dangerous precedent. He said that the State rarely appeals a conviction, however in this case, with lawyers around the world expressing dissatisfaction with the verdict and the fact that Nel has a ground that Masipa erred in her interpretation of the law re eventualis, in his opinion Nel should be preparing an appeal. This would not be lodged until after the sentence has been handed down.

I think so, but seeing as he has been selling all his assests .. and now much of it has already been spent, with probably the rest of the money moved out of the country, I doubt that they will be able to get much money out of him (which I am led to understand from something I read a while back, would go towards the charity June is setting up).

OJ was sentenced not guilty. So here is a better chance. The should try it.
OJ was then K.O. and is in prison now (because of lack of money)

I will now go into my kitchen and wash some dishes and during this I will/want to smash a few parts, I'm feeling that way.
Back at 12:30pm, c u soon. :smile:

I think so, but seeing as he has been selling all his assests .. and now much of it has already been spent, with probably the rest of the money moved out of the country, I doubt that they will be able to get much money out of him (which I am led to understand from something I read a while back, would go towards the charity June is setting up).

All of that also makes him a flight risk

NPA just said, in a press statement, that they are "disappointed' with the result but have "confidence' in the court and will continue to moniter the proceedings.

After seeing innumerable number of trials where victims have had their cases thrown out (or not even allowed to press charges by a prosecutor) because they have shown once to have lied and are then labeled as ‘unreliable’ witnesses.

Now we have an accused lying about important details and been generally evasive on a “peculiar” set of circumstances but with no effect on the reliability of his evidence. How unaccountable.

Also, Pistorius family have been just seemed horrible throughout, they release a press statement about the “miraculous recovery” Carl Pistorius on the birthday of a dead Reeva Steenkamp. He tweets that nasty Fresco message. Arnold Pistoirus compares expensive cars to their lawyer versus the ‘cheap’ State prosecutor. Pistorius' uncle tweeted that “evil” will be overcome by “good”…which can’t sound good for the tragic Steenkamp family.

Arnold Pistorius will later hold a press conference....of course.

It is a lenient verdict, but he could still receive a hefty sentence. His actions were extremely negligent. I am still hopeful that Masipa will come through - it is worrying now because there is no minimum sentence we can rely on though.

i remember reading that ch with a gun involved, starts at 5 years. so mitigation is plus or minus 5 years...

This is just wrong on so many levels.

It certainly is. The men in that family really are an unpleasant bunch. No sensitivity, no decorum, precious few morals it would seem. Perhaps a little bit of sober and somber reflection would have been more appropriate than barely disguised glee. My only real hope now is for karma and sadly I don't even believe in that, just wish it were true.

i remember reading that ch with a gun involved, starts at 5 years. so mitigation is plus or minus 5 years...
Let's hope Masipa's reputation for tough sentencing holds strong. I think a lot of people who are unhappy now would feel justice had been served if he received a maximum sentence for CH.

I will now go into my kitchen and wash some dishes and during this I will/want to smash a few parts, I'm feeling that way.
Back at 12:30pm, c u soon. :smile:

:hug:, maybe we are all in need of a group hug. :grouphug:

I am concerned that even if Nel does get Masipa to give a reasonable sentence for CH, OP will be out on bail in short order. He deserves at least 10 years minimum inside.

black talon versus standard ammunition
can anyone clarify the fact that masipa stated the type of ammunition in the gun was irrelevant? was this stated in relation to a specific point, or across the board.

did she not understand the effects and intent associated with black talon?

It certainly is. The men in that family really are an unpleasant bunch. No sensitivity, no decorum, precious few morals it would seem. Perhaps a little bit of sober and somber reflection would have been more appropriate than barely disguised glee. My only real hope now is for karma and sadly I don't even believe in that, just wish it were true.

They just don't know how to behave responsibly, do they?

What a family, eh .. and how proud they must be that those two brothers, Oscar and Carl, are both guilty of having killed a woman each. That family needs to be avoided at all costs, they are some sort of curse.

Let's hope Masipa's reputation for tough sentencing holds strong. I think a lot of people who are unhappy now would feel justice had been served if he received a maximum sentence for CH.

I don't know...Masipa is all Kelly Phelps right now. I am in some twilight zone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unnamedTV