Trial Discussion Thread #54 - 14.13.10, Day 43 ~ sentencing~

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just read a survey on the effect of mandatory minimum sentencing act (not really an issue here as culp. Homicide is at judge's discretion). The rate of most sentences has increased is dramatic, but even now still seems on the low side compared to other countries. The use of community service or house arrest is just a sad indictment of SA justice. Masipa will probably want him to work at an domestic violence shelter, taking Roux cynical and ludicrous comparison that Pistorius acts like a 'battered' woman. This is satire, and it's so dark it's ghoulish.

I can't get over the fact Van Zyl is touting his agent prowess. Agents create and maintain a silmucra, a good brand, a profitable image - this is not a real person. Hello OJ, hello Lance, hello Ray Rice, hello Jovan Belcher...etc. etc. etc.

Rumours circulating that after lunch Pistorius wil take the stand and sing a rendition of Michael Jackson's heal the world.

and OP will scream for joy just like a woman!

Charity, like culpable homicide, begins at home

Correctional sentence can also be conducted in prison.

OP could encourage other prisoners to take part in sports

Most 'celebs' have a public profile and a private profile. OP was extremely concerned about maintaining his holier-than-thou public profile, knowing it was important to keep his sponsors happy. That's one of the reasons he didn't want the Tasha's incident coming out, in case his halo was accidentally disturbed. But the 'real' OP is the one who loves getting into fights, drinking, causing trouble, firing guns, and confronting danger whenever possible. THAT is the person who should be judged, not the 'public' one who has a vested interest in portraying himself as something he's not.

the public image versus private image must have been huge daily pressure on him [still is?]. tasha's being a tiny example... if reeva had survived that evening the 'real' op would have been right in the spotlight.

now that she cannot speak, even with a murder trial he can still 'manage' the situation.

Where are they gonna put the ankle bracelet for the house arrest?

I'm going to start doing lots of charity work. Just in case I kill someone, I'll be covered

A man shoots my daughter and they consider his sweeping yards two days per month as a purnishment?

For those who have closely followed the case from the beginning, it is a real pain to watch this circus.

OP seems to be the greatest human being ever to have set foot on Earth; they can as well declare him the next Nobel Peace Prize winner and get the whole matter over with!

He would be in good company if he was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize. Hitler and Stalin were both previously nominated.

I sincerely hope that somebody is going to take the stand on Reeva's behalf. Nel needs to be able to show what a devastating loss she was to her family and friends. The impact on their lives has to matter and the court have to know more about what she could have offered South Africa before that narcissistic megalomaniac fired those bullets into her.

Did I hear correctly: Maringa suggested 2 days a month cleaning a museum for 3 years? Really? I mean REALLY?

I think Nel will get his testimony thrown out as he clearly had no idea what the case was about.

The world reaches for notorious sick bucket as #OscarPistorius is painted as a selfless philanthropist.

The good he did in past doesn't cancel out the fact that Oscar killed Reeva! Will have to live with it for rest of his life.

"House arrest refers to that portion of the day/night when the probationer does not work and is compelled to be at home. The period of house arrest of individual probationers may differ.

The possible risk posed to the community is taken into account when determining the probationer’s placement under house arrest. When the condition of house arrest is being set, the offender’s working hours are taken into account in order to avoid conflict between such hours and the period of house arrest.

Flexibility is also built into the condition of house arrest to allow probationers to participate in organized sport activities, to attend church services, to do the necessary shopping, etc."

Has clubbing been accidentally omitted?

http://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2014/oct/13/oscar-pistorius-trial-sentencing-live

A man shoots my daughter and they consider his sweeping yards two days per month as a purnishment?
It doesn't get more insulting does it? Unless Masipa thinks it's too harsh and reduces it to one day a month.

Did I hear correctly: Maringa suggested 2 days a month cleaning a museum for 3 years? Really? I mean REALLY?

I think Nell will get his testimony thrown out as he clearly had no idea what the case was about.

The bits Maringa failed to read in the judgement:

It would be absurd, for instance, to infer from the accused conduct, that he was going to hit the intruder over the head with it, as he could have easily used a cricket bat for that purpose.

The accused clearly wanted to use the firearm and the only way he could have used it was to shoot at the perceived danger. The intention to shoot however does not necessarily include the intention to kill.

The truth shall set you free... Rephrase that!! Lies do set you free!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay