Trial Discussion Thread #55 - 14.14.10, Day 44 ~ sentencing~

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From news24:

AV: OP has made a monthly payment to the Steenkamps and offered to pay more.

Reporter Nastasya Tay says she has received confirmation that Pistorius wants to set up a fund to financially support the Steenkamps.

I have mixed thoughts about that to be honest. Feels different to a lump sum in compensation ordered by a civil court. They'll be tied to OP for however long?

#OscarPistorius' agent tells me he's been managing the "significant" monthly payments to the Steenkamps, since March 2013.

I have mixed thoughts about that to be honest. Feels very different to a lump sum ordered as compensation in a civil court.

personally, i think it is easier to show mitigating factors than aggravating ones.
the loss to friends and family is the same however the life is taken away.

i am interested to see how the pt is going to highlight the seriousness of the crime. i don't think this can be done by friends and family.

I too am interested to see where the PT go with this. There's been reports all morning that Sam Taylor's mother would testify and something about that makes me uneasy, plus Mapisa can just dismiss what she says as she did with her daughter. I'd like to see the nightclub fight guy up there and a few experts pointing out the severity of the crime and how it was part of a building pattern but IIRC Nel said he only had a couple of witnesses so that doesn't leave much wriggle room. What do you think about ST's mother? I just have a bad feeling that could backfire horribly for some reason.

As the court empties for lunch, #OscarPistorius remains hunched over in the dock, his head in his hands.

— Nastasya Tay (@NastasyaTay

(OP thought bubble, please don't let it be cleaning or children! Please, please, pretty please!)

:sick:

Welp this could very well be over.

The Steenkamps sound like their pretty financially poor if they require Reeva to support them.

Now this supposed allegation of Pistorius family paying them some monthly stipend.

I know where this is heading, in the end it all comes down to money.

I really, really hope it is not the case, but is it possible the agreement on the monthly payments made to the Steenkamps included a clause that they would give impact statements on the stand?

Channel 4 just showing bombs going off somewhere?

Extract from South Africa concerning Police Clearance Certificates

Can a Criminal Record be removed or Expunged?

Yes a Criminal record can be removed or expunged under certain circumstances for example.

• A fine of not more than R 20000 must have been a option.
• No jail term must have been done.
• No sexual offence.

RSBM . Re the BIB - wouldn't that preclude him? I can't imagine a guilty conviction on culpable homicide being easy to remove from one's permanent record. Then again this trial has opened my middle-aged eyes to many things I couldn't imagine.

she also appears to be saying the conditions in prison are not suitable for a person with op's disability. are we then to believe there are no other prisoners in sa prisons with a disability similar to op????

Didn't she say disability shouldn't be taken into account when sentencing yet she seems to be using that for many excuses why he shouldn't go to prison.

I too am interested to see where the PT go with this. There's been reports all morning that Sam Taylor's mother would testify and something about that makes me uneasy, plus Mapisa can just dismiss what she says as she did with her daughter. I'd like to see the nightclub fight guy up there and a few experts pointing out the severity of the crime and how it was part of a building pattern but IIRC Nel said he only had a couple of witnesses so that doesn't leave much wriggle room. What do you think about ST's mother? I just have a bad feeling that could backfire horribly for some reason.

I'm sure I read somewhere earlier that Mrs Taylor didn't wish to appear in court.

As Mark B and that other chap (Jared something) are apparently in court, perhaps we will hear about OP's threatening behaviour.
How I wish that Nel had managed to find the woman OP was pestering only weeks after the murder.
Oh, and that stylist fellow to talk about OP's violent tantrum.

I have mixed thoughts about that to be honest. Feels very different to a lump sum ordered as compensation in a civil court.

I don't think it's right .. either for OP to be paying it, or for the Steenkamps to be receiving it*, at any time before the end of a trial for murder. All of that type of thing should be left until afterwards, imo.

* Nel just confirming that the Steenkamps rejected it (which is what I had previously understood them to have done).

Noooo I'm watching old videos! Anyone have a live link?

Sounds now as though the Steenkamps rejected the money from OP. Strong people.

Rebecca Davis @becsplanb

"Oakley wanted Pistorius in a charity called "Impossible to Possible", a phrase which sums up my feelings about the development of this trial"

I love her tweets.

She's my favourite twitterer :D

Sent from my GT-S7500 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads