Trial Discussion Thread #59 - 14.21.10, Day 48 ~ sentencing~

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
J: The deceased and her family....a promising young woman who cared for her family....obvious while giving evidence, Mrs Maartin still felt that pain. Doubtless that echoes the pain of the parents...the loss of life cannot be reversed....hopefully this judgement will provide some sort of closure...

Sentence shouldn't be too severe or too light.

Roux looks like he's flipping through holiday brochures.

David Dadic @DavidDadic · 1m 1 minute ago
We're 40 minutes in and I still don't know where we're going.

Justice is “what is in the public interest and not want society wants.”
“Society can not always gets what they want. It is not a popularity contest the courts are to perform justice.”

“The general may not know the difference between justice and vengeance.”

“Retribution is not the same as vengeance.”

Tell that condescending series of quotes to the 52 million of South Africa who have got such little justice in the crimes against women and children. The historical and present SA justice system has been overwhelming, grossly lenient and on the side of the male offenders by incompetence or institutional failure, time and again.

J: ...delicate balance...then quotes flipping case law again:

'it seems in determining approp sentence, basic criterion, degree of culpability in committing negligent act, extent of deviation from the norm....

First time I think I've ever seen Arnold blinking.

Warren Vorster got a suspended sentence.

J: defense referred to a number of cases, in my view, none of them were on point...

Yikes I have to go...darn it, bad timing. Will keep reading here!

Justice is “what is in the public interest and not want society wants.”
“Society can not always gets what they want. It is not a popularity contest the courts are to perform justice.”

“The general may not know the difference between justice and vengeance.”

“Retribution is not the same as vengeance.”

Tell that condescending series of quotes to the 52 million of South Africa who have got such little justice in the crimes against women and children. The historical and present SA justice system has been overwhelming, grossly lenient and on the side of the male offenders by incompetence or institutional failure, time and again.

Call me over sensitive, I heard all of that as "The general public are stupid".

Well that's all very well, and pink and fluffy, saying that we've moved on and we don't do 'an eye for an eye' now .. but .. if this is a lead up to saying he will get a suspended sentence, then that then has to be applied to ALL criminals .. just let everyone out of prison! :facepalm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lbmeadows98