GUILTY TRIAL OF CHAD DAYBELL CHARGED WITH MURDER OF JJ VALLOW, TYLEE RYAN AND TAMMY DAYBELL #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good Morning Fellow WSers,

I am hoping that the jury reaches a decision early in the day and can go home to their families and friends and finally talk with people they love about what they have seen and heard and all the feelings & emotions they have had throughout this trial. And those alternates…gosh to still not be able to talk even with each other! I hope they all have good support systems at home and are allowed to decompress at their own paces.

I also hope that whatever they decide the jury is able to come to an agreement rather than return with one or two or a few hold outs. I know that the Judge can and will sentence CD to multiple LWOP sentences if the jury is unable to come to a unanimous decision but for the jury’s sake, I hope they are able to reach a unanimous decision whatever that decision is. I think it will benefit them if they can come away from this knowing that every juror felt the same way. But if they don’t then I hope that they will all support one another’s views and hold on to the bond they have of this shared experience and not let differing views cause ill feelings amongst them.

Hoping for a decision soon but patient enough to want them to have all the time they need.

I think he gets the DP x 3.

The crimes were incredibly callused and cruel. Kids were killed. So was a sweet trusting wife. And there's not a sliver of remorse for his actions.

I can understand why jurors would take their time - because a moral person doesn't want to be casual with someone else's life (unlike CD and LVD) - but I think there's no way they let him live. That's their other option. He's a cruel cruel man who works to kill kids, to get his jollies.

This is truly what the DP is made for, to exterminate the vermin that have no regard for the life of others. Or, if we use CD's terminology, he is a dark 6, possessed by evil demons, and his shell of a body needs to stop living so he can be released to his eternal ~ahem~ "reward."
Every word you said is true. I just wonder if a couple of jurors are holding out because of their own moral code. I’ve said a lot of times I could vote for death but I couldn’t pull the trigger or insert the needle, etc. I finally had to realize I couldn’t vote for death.

But what CD has done is ugly and vile and then to turn his children against their mother’s family is unspeakably selfish. I have no doubt that if he is in the general population of prison, he would convert a group of young men who are lonely and searching for spiritual food and then if one was released he could become another Chad Daybell.

Yes CD has a dark, ugly spirit.
Plus, telling people he is the Holy Ghost or
Jesus Christ is blasphemy and he won’t like his “reward” when he leaves here.

I'm certainly not cutting them any slack for supporting Chad and lying on the witness stand. But can you imagine how utterly embarrassed and humiliated they must be? I'm sure there are whispers anytime they show their faces in public.
But if any of them have Chads bold, stubborn spirit of being “right”, they are going to face a tough time in society. During this whole process not one of them showed any concern that two children were buried on their dad’s property!! No tears, no remorse, no sadness, no sorrow. No tears from Emma or Garth for their mom on the stand. Nothing.
And yet, total strangers (us) felt heartbreak. We cried. Strangers took flowers for a memorial on the side of the road and Seth destroyed it.
And then not one came to court to stand up for their mother. I won’t feel bad for them until I see some humanity.

I believe Emma is the one who has, as you phrased it, "that bold stubborn spirit of being right", like her father. Just the way she would say during her testimony that she doesn't believe her brother would say that (something she disagreed with), etc., shows me she has her mind made up and is not going to change. Accusing LE of untruths. I find Emma the most egregious of all the children.

But somehow, stone cold Chad didn't struggle at all. Hearing from people who loved him. If he wasn't guilty, wouldn't you be a sobbing mess, listening to her family's pain? The same pain you have? But no pain here. Only a heartless murderer.
Hr believes he is right. He can determine who lives and dies. It’s scary. Why cry when he isn’t sorry? He didn’t even show emotion when Prior trashed his current wife.

I believe Emma is the one who has, as you phrased it, "that bold stubborn spirit of being right", like her father. Just the way she would say during her testimony that she doesn't believe her brother would say that (something she disagreed with), etc., shows me she has her mind made up and is not going to change. Accusing LE of untruths. I find Emma the most egregious of all the children.
We find her egregious because she testified but none of the others stood up for Tammy either. They are all lost and need to find their way.

Thank you for posting (or reposting) the link. What I say below has nothing to do with you...

One pet peeve I have that is repeated in that story is that Chad is referred to as their step father. He was never their step father because the children were killed before Chad and Lori were married. Aside from that, Chad does not deserve to be called their step father! I find it an insult to their memory to call him their step father. <Rant over!>
I’ve been railing about this also. One commentator on CourtTV frequently made this error.

That said, it’s horrible to think he’s technically Colby’s stepfather.

I am not LDS but have godd friends who are so maybe some can help me with this line of thought. I was trying to think from the Daybell children's point of view that they are a forever family so they are going be with their dad in the afterlife forever. If they were to go against him and are wrong, that could affect their situation eternally. Their dad according to JP, holds to the original LDS beliefs which would maybe make them wonder if he wad the more pure one especially if he is playing the martyr. I could see where this could be very confusing and scary. My wuestiin is, in LDS faith, what happens to LDS murderers in the afterlife?

I’ve been railing about this also. One commentator on CourtTV frequently made this error.

That said, it’s horrible to think he’s technically Colby’s stepfather.
I've been disappointed in numerous errors by Court TV recently. The main reporter constantly reporting on the Daybell case keeps calling Larry Woodcock "JJ's biological grandfather" and as I understand it, that is not true.

Kay was married to someone else before Larry who was the father of Kay's son Todd Trahan and thus the biological grandfather of JJ. Not to take anything away from Larry, he certainly was the best grandfather that little boy could ever want, but he was not his "biological" grandson.

I am not LDS but have godd friends who are so maybe some can help me with this line of thought. I was trying to think from the Daybell children's point of view that they are a forever family so they are going be with their dad in the afterlife forever. If they were to go against him and are wrong, that could affect their situation eternally. Their dad according to JP, holds to the original LDS beliefs which would maybe make them wonder if he wad the more pure one especially if he is playing the martyr. I could see where this could be very confusing and scary. My wuestiin is, in LDS faith, what happens to LDS murderers in the afterlife?
LDS murderers get to work on themselves in the afterlife until they're worthy again, basically.

Chad's kids' salvation isn't in jeopardy from Chad's actions. Only their own. But Chad's been excommunicated as well as being convicted of multiple murder. He's going to have to do a lot of spade work in the LDS afterlife to get to the level of heaven where he can actually be with them in eternity. He wasn't living to LDS doctrine for YEARS before he killed anyone or committed adultery, and he was not only doing that privately, he was teaching others his heretical beliefs and gathering a following of believers. He was not LDS by that point, not by any mainstream member's measure, and certainly not by the measure of anyone in authority. He would have been excommunicated sooner or later without murder coming into it at all, and without true repentance and repudiation of his individual belief system and qualifying for rebaptism, etc. he would have died on the outside of the mainstream church.

MOO

During yesterday’s sentencing hearing, I was listening but not watching as I was busy working at my desk. I had posted here that I was surprised that JP offered no witnesses or evidence of mitigating circumstances and that his closing argument to spare the life of his client was weak and I pondered whether this was a calculated move on JP’s part to show himself as ineffective on a DP case to set up an appeal.

This morning, I took the time to actually watch the portion of yesterday’s proceedings where the judge (out of the presence of the jury) went over mitigation and allocution with CD and asked him to put on the record that it was his choice not to have JP present any mitigation testimony and not to do an allocution.

I have changed my mind about this being a tactic by JP. I think he had a mitigation defense prepared and CD instructed him not to present it - the judge pretty much said that to CD when he questioned him about his decision. I watched JP as the judge spoke - something I didn’t do yesterday because I was only listening to the audio. He never even looked at CD or the judge as the judge spoke to CD - he just stared straight ahead thru most of it. It was difficult to see the expression on his face because of the video quality but he did look to me to be perturbed. I suspect that JP may have had witnesses he wanted to call - perhaps even a psychologist as I kept thinking he would - and likely he wanted to bring GD & EDM to ask the jury to spare CD’s life. And I suspect that CD only recently told JP that he would not allow it - perhaps even that morning before the proceedings began. I think it threw JP off his game and that’s why he fumbled so much with that pitiful closing. He looked deflated & defeated. I think JP knew that ending this way with no mitigation presentation and such a weak closing statement would reflect poorly on him as a lawyer and that he was PO’d at CD and at a loss as to how to proceed once CD told him not to offer or suggest any mitigating circumstances.

But why? Why did CD not want any mitigating factors presented? Why did he not want his children to speak on his behalf? Do I think he has suddenly grown a conscious and is ready to accept his fate? Absolutely not! There is no remorse there - no compassion for his victims or their families - and no admission of guilt or taking of responsibility - not just in his lack of words but also in his body language. There was throughout the portion of the video I viewed this morning the same smugness and detachment we have seen throughout the trial. Was it because he felt unjustly convicted and wanted no part of the sentencing proceedings? I don’t think this was a “protest” decision. So does he want his life to end? Suicide without having to kill himself? Is a death sentence a way out for him? The open portal to a new probation? Perhaps but I think it is also a martyr complex - or at least CD’s twisted version of one.

As I watched him siting with arms folded and his brief responses to Judge Boyce’s questions, I kept wondering why CD wouldn’t want any mitigation presented and no one to speak on his behalf after allowing his attorney to fight for him during the trial by throwing LVD & AC under the bus and suggesting that MG & DW had something to do with the murders, etc. And I thought of the verse in the Bible that says “he opened not his mouth” and I remembered how he was always some important person in his past lives. I looked up that verse.

Isaiah 53:7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.

Hmmm…I remembered the suggestions that LE & the state had it in for CD. And it occurred to me that this is his way of saying that he’s been persecuted and wrongfully convicted because he is the leader of the 144,000, the prophet, the man who has visions thru the veil, the one who would lead so many to safety in his tent cities and end time preparations - a savior to the masses. But now if he is imprisoned and put to death, none of his predictions will come to pass because he was taken out of the end time equation. He wasn’t wrong about those predictions..but because of agency…agency of LE & the media and the court and the jury and on and on…who prevented him from his appointed role.

But oh what an ending to the book that EDM will write and publish with his very own publishing company!

During yesterday’s sentencing hearing, I was listening but not watching as I was busy working at my desk. I had posted here that I was surprised that JP offered no witnesses or evidence of mitigating circumstances and that his closing argument to spare the life of his client was weak and I pondered whether this was a calculated move on JP’s part to show himself as ineffective on a DP case to set up an appeal.

This morning, I took the time to actually watch the portion of yesterday’s proceedings where the judge (out of the presence of the jury) went over mitigation and allocution with CD and asked him to put on the record that it was his choice not to have JP present any mitigation testimony and not to do an allocution.

I have changed my mind about this being a tactic by JP. I think he had a mitigation defense prepared and CD instructed him not to present it - the judge pretty much said that to CD when he questioned him about his decision. I watched JP as the judge spoke - something I didn’t do yesterday because I was only listening to the audio. He never even looked at CD or the judge as the judge spoke to CD - he just stared straight ahead thru most of it. It was difficult to see the expression on his face because of the video quality but he did look to me to be perturbed. I suspect that JP may have had witnesses he wanted to call - perhaps even a psychologist as I kept thinking he would - and likely he wanted to bring GD & EDM to ask the jury to spare CD’s life. And I suspect that CD only recently told JP that he would not allow it - perhaps even that morning before the proceedings began. I think it threw JP off his game and that’s why he fumbled so much with that pitiful closing. He looked deflated & defeated. I think JP knew that ending this way with no mitigation presentation and such a weak closing statement would reflect poorly on him as a lawyer and that he was PO’d at CD and at a loss as to how to proceed once CD told him not to offer or suggest any mitigating circumstances.

But why? Why did CD not want any mitigating factors presented? Why did he not want his children to speak on his behalf? Do I think he has suddenly grown a conscious and is ready to accept his fate? Absolutely not! There is no remorse there - no compassion for his victims or their families - and no admission of guilt or taking of responsibility - not just in his lack of words but also in his body language. There was throughout the portion of the video I viewed this morning the same smugness and detachment we have seen throughout the trial. Was it because he felt unjustly convicted and wanted no part of the sentencing proceedings? I don’t think this was a “protest” decision. So does he want his life to end? Suicide without having to kill himself? Is a death sentence a way out for him? The open portal to a new probation? Perhaps but I think it is also a martyr complex - or at least CD’s twisted version of one.

As I watched him siting with arms folded and his brief responses to Judge Boyce’s questions, I kept wondering why CD wouldn’t want any mitigation presented and no one to speak on his behalf after allowing his attorney to fight for him during the trial by throwing LVD & AC under the bus and suggesting that MG & DW had something to do with the murders, etc. And I thought of the verse in the Bible that says “he opened not his mouth” and I remembered how he was always some important person in his past lives. I looked up that verse.

Isaiah 53:7 He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened not his mouth: he is brought as a lamb to the slaughter, and as a sheep before her shearers is dumb, so he openeth not his mouth.

Hmmm…I remembered the suggestions that LE & the state had it in for CD. And it occurred to me that this is his way of saying that he’s been persecuted and wrongfully convicted because he is the leader of the 144,000, the prophet, the man who has visions thru the veil, the one who would lead so many to safety in his tent cities and end time preparations - a savior to the masses. But now if he is imprisoned and put to death, none of his predictions will come to pass because he was taken out of the end time equation. He wasn’t wrong about those predictions..but because of agency…agency of LE & the media and the court and the jury and on and on…who prevented him from his appointed role.

But oh what an ending to the book that EDM will write and publish with his very own publishing company!

I was truly caught off guard by no defense mitigating witnesses. I couldn't help but have Jodi Arias and Warren Jeffs flashbacks... And the victim statements! I had to drop what I was doing a few times because I couldn't see through my tears. Such a heart-wrenching day.

However, I now think CD is going for full-fledged martyrdom and thus, in his telestial psychopathic fantasy-scape vision, it is beneath him. Because of this, I am hoping for LWOP. Anything that treats him from here on out as a mere mortal. The DP would only encourage his grandiosity.

And frankly aafromaa, I think JP is doing the absolute best he can with his losing hand.

I am hoping for swift justice today. Let this end! Let the victims and rifted families and communities begin healing!

Strangers took flowers for a memorial on the side of the road and Seth destroyed it.
And then not one came to court to stand up for their mother. I won’t feel bad for them until I see some humanity.
RSBM...

JMOO -- I think the kids feel they are standing up for their mother.

Indoctrination is an odd and powerful thing, and the Daybell kids have had years of being indoctrinated into thinking their father is some sort of prophet and that he's been in contact with their mother (from the other side of the veil) since she passed.

I think one of the first times I heard about Chad being in contact with Tammy after she died was from an account from MG, who got it from Lori. I could be wrong about that. It's been a long and confusing affair.

I would not be surprised to find Chad is still telling his kids that he's in contact with Tammy and that she wants them to do this...think this...do that...put money in LV's commisary account, etc. MOO

I would be willing to bet Emma and maybe all of them think CD is innocent and is being persecuted by the evil in the world.

What Emma said on the stand, she said at Tammy's behest--as channeled by her dad. MOO

Maybe one day the kids will wake up, but for now, I think they still believe what their dad is telling them, which means they think he's innocent and that he's in contact with their deceased mother, who wants them to follow their dad's instructions.

Thinking about Chad not wanting any mitigation in the penalty phase, one thing that crossed my mind is that he didn’t want to have his children give impact statements. We all saw what they did testifying in his defense case…the backlash from that must have been pretty bad if only just judging how we felt about it here. The jury saw and heard what we did.

After all, he never rated his kids dark, saving them from the horrible deaths that J.J. and Tylee experienced.

If Prior would have put any other mitigation witnesses on, it would have left a huge question why his kids didn’t give impact statements then.

moo

The thing with LDS doctrine is that a lot of it has changed over time. There are many teachings that past prophets espoused that differs from what current prophets teach.

Now, in the most mainstream church, the current prophet's teachings trump those of any past prophets (ie. black people were originally considered the "seed of Cain" and an inferior race who were not allowed to hold the priesthood or perform ordinances in the temple, but in 1978, Kimball disavowed that idea; blood atonement was disavowed around the same time), but there's also a lot of past teachings that haven't been explicitly denounced.

Modern prophets might quietly take these controversial past teachings out of their rituals and handbooks (ie. blood oaths were removed from the temple in 1990) or simply stop talking about them (ie. polygamy in the afterlife; bans on birth control; the return to Missouri prophecy).

Other controversial topics may be taught with vague or contradicting messaging, so that an LDS member who wants to believe a certain way can usually find "official" quotes, writings, or talks to back themselves up, no matter what side of the issue they're on (ie. whether a young man is obligated to serve a mission; the role of Heavenly Mother; whether women should be stay-at-home moms or work outside the home; what counts as "hot drinks" that should be avoided; etc).

There's also times when LDS members will eschew official church teachings because they say they've received their own personal revelation about it for themselves (ie. refusing to get the COVID vaccine even though the prophet told people to; refusing to wear garments every day even though the prophet told people to; etc.)

The point of all of this is to say that, in order to understand what a particular LDS person believes, you really have to ask that person as an individual, because there's so much variation.

On the topic of murder, specifically:
  • One of the very first stories in the Book of Mormon (published in 1830) is that of the prophet Nephi being commanded to kill a drunk man in order to obtain valuable property. "Never at any time have I shed the blood of a man. And I shrunk and would that I might not slay him. But the spirit is insistent, saying, "it is better that one man should perish than that a nation should dwindle and perish in unbelief." (1 Nephi 4) Basically, setting up a justification that sometimes murder is necessary for a bigger plan.
  • The Book of Mormon also implies that murders can be forgiven with repentance. (Alma 24:10, 54:7)
  • Doctrine & Covenants 42 (written in 1831) says that "he that kills shall not have forgiveness in this world, nor in the world to come."
  • Brigham Young (who led the church from 1847-1877) taught "blood atonement," essentially that some sins -- like murder and adultery -- were so serious that the only way someone could be forgiven would be for them to be put to death.
  • Nowadays, most LDS shy away from the concept of "hell" (again, another doctrine that's evolved over time). Going strictly by today's teachings, after this life, any "Baptized Unrighteous" (along with all those not baptized into the LDS church - so most of us here) would go to Spirit Prison, where they would have the opportunity to repent and accept a "baptism for the dead" (CD would need to be baptized again, since he was excommunicated) before the Final Judgment, at which point, they could move on to one of the two lower levels of heaven or -- if unrepentant -- to Outer Darkness ("hell"). By today's mainstream teachings, CD would probably go to the Telestial Kingdom if he repented and Outer Darkness if he didn't.
1717252270951.png
(There's lots of version of this graphic out there - I picked this one bc it has the original source noted)

Now that's assuming, however, that they really do believe CD is unrighteous. We've seen, though, that he believes himself to be a translated being. He told Lori that this life "didn't count" for them -- that they, like Nephi, were serving some greater purpose and didn't need to repent. They've already earned the Celestial Kingdom and are only back on earth as a favor to humanity, in which case, LDS doctrine doesn't matter; they don't think it applies to them.

Garth will have to be the one to go to his brothers and sisters and tell them truthfully what happened when he got home the night Tammy was killed. Chad used him. I’ve thought a lot about Garth’s stories. His 911 call said he found her frozen on the ground. Then Chad took the phone. It’s possible she was smothered outside. It’s possible Garth found her with his dad pleading to help get her inside but insisted they not call 911 until they “figured out” what happened. Then Chad came up with them placing her on the bed. We will never know. But Garth knows from the time he got home what happened. He will never have peace and he will be destroyed until he faces this and tells his family the truth. I pray Chad can’t control him forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cshh74