GUILTY TRIAL OF CHAD DAYBELL CHARGED WITH MURDER OF JJ VALLOW, TYLEE RYAN AND TAMMY DAYBELL #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe it is very hard to impose the death penalty for Jurors. I have thought about this for years as I was released from jury duty for a death penalty case. When listening to the individual questions that the jurors answered, that would help ease my mind about voting for a death penalty. I could have answered YES to each of those questions. If I had only been asked to impose the death penalty straight up, it would feel harder. But, with the elements of the law spelled out, more likely I would have.

Chad Daybell, with his "aw shucks" face, is nevertheless the embodiment of evil. It is the betrayal of his potential as a force for good, that he held himself out to be, that justifies all the condemnation he has and will receive for his actions. He was trusted by those he manipulated and those whose deaths he promoted and I believe the death penalty is warranted. It is just so hard for a jury to decide this. I feel they looked upon him and felt the potential to be betrayed and manipulated by him as well.

I feel stunned.

I'm not in support of the death penalty, but it is the Idaho law. If I were on the jury, I'd fill out every answer as they did on that form. I'd have to impose death.

Even though I'm against execution, part of me wishes it could be soon. I feel like two lives he has completely destroyed without committing murder are the lives of his oldest children. Letting them lie like that on the stand for him- grrrr. I feel like they could regain their identities sooner if Chad were just extinguished.

MOO

I'm right there with you.

IMO, with the evidence presented by the State and the lack of any mitigating circumstances offered up by the Defense, there was really no way the jury could have ruled any other way. Even the most compassionate juror would have no logical legal argument against it. Which maybe, in its own way, was a blessing for their own consciences -- it was not so much a choice as an obligation to society.
True. I was expecting LWOP. But the way the forms read, they had to obey the law in Idaho.

I wonder how Lori will feel now. Is he a prophet? Or is he Satan?

And Alex. He said, “I am either a man of God or I’m not.” How shocking it had to be for him when he found out he wasn’t.

But for Tammy and Charles and JJ and Tylee,
I believe they are happy in Gods arms.

I am genuinely stunned they gave him death.

MOO.

I'm not, of course, but the ID process leaves the jurors emotions (about the DP) entirely out of the equation, and instead focuses them on deciding the merits of underlying reasons for which (in this case) there was no doubt whatsoever imo. And I think you and all the others here would agree.

There were 6 questions in all, the following x 3
1 Was this murder of ____ committed for remuneration of some kind? [He clearly did each to obtain sex and money. Easy to say yes. Obvious.]
... If yes, were the mitigating factors sufficient to make the DP unjust? [No. There were no mitigating factors to consider.]
2 Was this murder of ____ committed in a heinous, extreme, cruel way of some kind? [Each murder fit that description too.]
... If yes, were the mitigating factors sufficient to make the DP unjust? [No. There were no mitigating factors to consider.]

All were clearly yes, and not offset by any mitigating factor. And that was all the jury had to figure out. None of the jurors had to wrestle with whether they like the DP or not, but rather with those 2 questions for each murder.

In a way I think it will be easier for the victims to proceed with their lives now, than if Daybell had got LWOP. Closure.

Unfortunately this may not end up being the case, as death penalty cases generally drag on for years or decades.

From an article by NPR about the death penalty in Idaho,

"The Idaho Supreme Court automatically reviews each death penalty sentence imposed by trial courts. This is separate from any appeal that may be filed by the defendant.

During both the Idaho Supreme Court review and any pending appeal, the death sentence is temporarily suspended.

The lengthy appeals process has contributed to the steady increase in the time it takes for a state to carry out an execution after the initial sentence.

The Death Penalty Information Center found death row inmates typically spend more than 10 years waiting for their execution or for a court to overturn their death sentence. It also reports more than half of death row inmates in America have been there for more than 18 years."

source: How the death penalty works in Idaho

EIN livestream outside of courthouse with mics set up. No one there yet…

Kaitlyn just came on

It may be a while. Since everyone is already here, Boyce wants to go ahead and rule on the other charges, rather than delay it for another day. So far, no objection seems to be arising, so it will take a while to work through that process in a proper way.

Does anyone know what were the two questions from the jurors…one last night and one this morning?

This was the first I heard about this when the judge said something about it before the verdict was read.

Thought I would feel glad but strangely I am just feeling sad and empty inside.
Same here. I keep thinking how much better it would have been for all the families if CD would have just admitted it and taken a deal for LWOP. I’m sure any one of them would rather see LWOP with an admission of guilt than the DP anyway.

I am pleased that the jury was able to come to a unanimous decision on this but either way it went was still going to leave us feeling empty inside because there are still so many unanswered questions and because it is human nature to want to see people take responsibility for their actions.

I am genuinely stunned they gave him death.

MOO.
I am not sure there could have been any other sentence with the way the form was worded. They found every single aggravating factor to be present and the defense didn't present any evidence to mitigate any of it. His own children didn't take the stand to plead for his life. He didn't take the stand to plead for his life. No witnesses took the stand to say he was a good human before this and that there was good left in him. I do wonder why they did not present ANY mitigating testimony at all. The jury had nothing to consider to counter the aggravating factors. Once they found all those aggravating factors present, they had no way to balance it out and instead of giving death reducing to LWOP.

I'm not, of course, but the ID process leaves the jurors emotions (about the DP) entirely out of the equation, and instead focuses them on deciding the merits of underlying reasons for which (in this case) there was no doubt whatsoever imo. And I think you and all the others here would agree.

There were 6 questions in all, the following x 3
1 Was this murder of ____ committed for remuneration of some kind? [He clearly did each to obtain sex and money. Easy to say yes. Obvious.]
2 Was this murder of ____ committed in a heinous, extreme, cruel way of some kind? [Each murder fit that description too.]

All were clearly yes, and not offset by any mitigating factor. And that was all the jury had to figure out. None of the jurors had to wrestle with whether they like the DP or not, but rather with those 2 questions for each murder.
I know what you mean, and in theory you're right, but I'm sure some did wrestle with that. I'm sure there was crying and despair and pain and great difficulty in coming to this decision for some.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper