Still Missing Turkey - Jamal Khashoggi, 59, Washington Post columnist, Istanbul, 3 Oct 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
French newspaper, Le Monde details previous disappearances of exiled Saudis.

Avant Jamal Khashoggi, d’autres dissidents saoudiens ont mystérieusement disparu

Before Jamal Khashoggi, other Saudi dissidents have mysteriously disappeared
The journalist's disappearance is reminiscent of cases of exiled Saudis who were forcibly returned to the kingdom and then never again gave evidence of life.

By Benjamin Barthe Published on October 11, 2018

What's next in the case of Jamal Khashoggi's disappearance? https://analytics.twitter.com/mob_i..._cgbT62Ms3&ad_tracking=true&tailored_ads=true

Al Jazeera English on Twitter

"We stand here today to reaffirm journalism is not a crime."

Giles Trendle, managing director of Al Jazeera English on the disappearance of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi.

*Video at link

"I always say, I am just a writer, I want a free environment to write and speak my mind."

Jamal Khashoggi spoke to the BBC in London, three days before his disappearance.

What is the Magnitsky Act? How does it apply to Khashoggi's case? What is the Magnitsky Act? How does it apply to Khashoggi's case?

Al Jazeera News on Twitter

Saudi government deployed a 15-man hit squad to lie in wait for dissident writer Jamal Khashoggi inside Istanbul consulate, an explosive report by NY Times says.

Identities of eight members of Saudi 'hit squad' believed to be behind Khashoggi's killing revealed. All the latest updates: Jamal Khashoggi case: All the latest updates

BBM

Turkish media has released the names of the 15 Saudi nationals suspected of killing Jamal Khashoggi Turkey releases names of 15 Saudi suspects in Khashoggi murder

Saudi delegation has arrived in Turkey for an investigation into the disappearance of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi:Turkish state media
Jamal Khashoggi case: All the latest updates

Smartwatch recorded #JamalKhashoggi's last moments, Turkish authorities report. All the latest updates: Jamal Khashoggi case: All the latest updates

• Financial Times

• Bloomberg

• CNN

• New York Times

• Economist

• CNBC

More media companies pull out of Saudi event over #JamalKhashoggi disappearance Saudi event still on as more companies withdraw over Khashoggi

Where does the #JamalKhashoggi case leave Saudi Arabia? Where does the Jamal Khashoggi case leave Saudi Arabia?

I will be calling, at some point, King Salman'

Trump vows to uncover truth about disappearance and alleged killing of #JamalKhashoggi. Latest updates: Jamal Khashoggi case: All the latest updates

US President Donald Trump has said there will be a "severe punishment" if Saudi Arabia killed #JamalKhashoggi Jamal Khashoggi case: All the latest updates

Missing or murdered? The mystery of missing Saudi dissident Jamal Khashoggi.

*video at link

Thank you for getting all the updates in one place.

My personal feeling is that this "disappearance" will have serious international and probably domestic consequences

There needs to be an open investigation as to who in the US governmemt knew the plans in advance, AND what their relationship to SA or MBS was, and what they stand to win or lose from the assassination

Last edited:
Thank you for getting all the updates in one place.

My personal feeling is that this "disappearance" will have serious international and probably domestic consequences

There needs to be an open investigation as to who in the US governmemt knew the plans in advance, AND what their relationship to SA or MBS was, and what they stand to win or lose from the assassination

IMO I think the "winners" will be the warmongers.

Also Saturday, Ankara’s top diplomat reiterated a call to Saudi Arabia to open up its consulate, from where Khashoggi disappeared, for Turkish authorities to search.

The writer, who has written critically about Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, vanished after he walked into the consulate on Oct. 2. The kingdom has maintained the allegations against it are “baseless,” though an official early on Saturday — on Khashoggi’s 60th birthday — acknowledged for the first time that some believe the writer was killed by the kingdom.

The disappearance has put pressure on President Donald Trump, who has enjoyed close relations with the Saudis since entering office.

On Saturday, Trump expressed concern about Khashoggi’s fate and lack of answers, so many days after the journalist disappeared.

“Our first hope was that he was not killed but maybe that’s not looking too good from what we hear but there’s a lot to learn, there really is,” Trump said at the White House while welcoming back American pastor Andrew Brunson, freed after nearly two years of detention in Turkey. He later said he anticipated speaking to the Saudi ruler Saturday or Sunday.
The newspaper also alleged Saudi officials tried to delete the recordings first by incorrectly guessing Khashoggi’s PIN on the watch, then later using the journalist’s finger. However, Apple Watches do not have a fingerprint ID unlock function like iPhones. The newspaper did not address that in its report.
An Apple Watch can record audio and can sync that later with an iPhone over a Bluetooth connection if it is close by. The newspaper’s account did not elaborate on how the Apple Watch synced that information to both the phone and Khashoggi’s iCloud account.

Turkish officials have not answered queries from The Associated Press about Khashoggi’s Apple Watch.

Turkish officials say they believe a 15-member Saudi “assassination squad” killed Khashoggi.
In an interview Friday with the AP, Cengiz said Khashoggi was not nervous when he entered the consulate to obtain paperwork required for their marriage.

“He said, ‘See you later my darling,’ and went in,” she told the AP. In written responses to questions by the AP, Cengiz said Turkish authorities had not told her about any recordings and Khashoggi was officially “still missing.”

On Saturday, Cengiz tweeted about a surprise party she had planned for Khashoggi’s birthday, “invited all his close friends to a restaurant on the #TheBosporus to celebrate his birthday but,” she said, adding the hashtags “WhereIsJamal” and “mydreamwaskilled.”
Turkey has audio of Saudi writer's slaying

Jamal Khashoggi, a veteran Saudi journalist, was killed in Istanbul after walking into the consulate of Saudi Arabia, according to Turkish officials. In a statement released Saturday, Fred Hiatt, The Post’s editorial page editor, said that if true, this would represent “a monstrous and unfathomable act.”
Khashoggi had been writing a column for The Post’s Global Opinions section since last year. “He lamented that Saudi Arabia’s repression was becoming unbearable to the point of his decision to leave the country and live in exile in Washington,” wrote Karen Attiah, Khashoggi’s editor, on Wednesday.
“He writes out of a sense of love for his country and deep faith in human dignity and freedom,” Hiatt said. “We have been enormously proud to publish his writing.”
Read excerpts from some of Khashoggi’s columns below:
The Writings Of Jamal Khashoggi --The Journalist Reported Murdered And Dismembered By Saudi Arabia | Black Star News

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

The US IMO has a global interest in a functioning and active 'free press' where journalists are free and safe to do their jobs which are of vital importance to all global citizens. In this case we have a journalist who was a well known US resident (but not a citizen) and who was also an employee of one of the premier print news organizations in the US. To compare this case of a journalist to a missing actress that had known tax issues with her country of citizenship I believe to be comparing 'apples and oranges' with all due respect.

The idea that a sovereign nation anywhere in the world believes that 'disappearing' a prominent journalist that works for an American publication is an acceptable response to dissent should IMO be held accountable for their actions preferably in a global court of law.

The democracy of the US was founded on the ideas of freedom of religion, speech, assembly and petition. The 1st Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. So if the US government does not choose to stand up for these core constitutional issues when they are attacked as viciously as seems to have been the case by the de-facto leader of Saudi Arabia then I am not sure who else there is in the world to speak to these issues that are core to the identity of what it means to be an American. Frankly the sound of silence that we are seeing from the neighboring countries of Saudi Arabia on this matter is frightening as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
The US IMO has a global interest in a functioning and active 'free press' where journalists are free and safe to do their jobs which are of vital importance to all global citizens. In this case we have a journalist who was a well known US resident (but not a citizen) and who was also an employee of one of the premier print news organizations in the US. To compare this case of a journalist to a missing actress that had known tax issues with her country of citizenship I believe to be comparing 'apples and oranges' with all due respect.

The idea that a sovereign nation anywhere in the world believes that 'disappearing' a prominent journalist that works for an American publication is an acceptable response to dissent should IMO be held accountable for their actions preferably in a global court of law.

The democracy of the US was founded on the ideas of freedom of religion, speech, assembly and petition. The 1st Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. So if the US government does not choose to stand up for these core constitutional issues when they are attacked as viciously as seems to have been the case by the de-facto leader of Saudi Arabia then I am not sure who else there is in the world to speak to these issues that are core to the identity of what it means to be an American. Frankly the sound of silence that we are seeing from the neighboring countries of Saudi Arabia on this matter is frightening as well.
I couldn’t have written this as succinctly as you have worded it but I concur wholeheartedly.

The Turks and Saudi's are supposedly carrying out a joint investigation; that's kind of worrying on many levels. The Turks might give the Saudi's access to the evidence they have on JK's disappearance; that would help the Saudi's with a 'damage limitation' exercise.

<modsnip - not victim friendly>; Khashoggi was there to collect documents; he was told they would be ready as it was his second visit. How long would it take? Half an hour max? Surely you would be knocking on the Embassy doors; raise the alarm to local authorities after an hour and a half. Especially as he was a 'critic of the Saudi's' and left Saudi for a reason; threats to him from the state.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure why Khashoggi's Turkish fiancée waited hours for him to return; Khashoggi was there to collect documents; he was told they would be ready as it was his second visit. How long would it take? Half an hour max? Surely you would be knocking on the Embassy doors; raise the alarm to local authorities after an hour and a half. Especially as he was a 'critic of the Saudi's' and left Saudi for a reason; threats to him from the state.
Agree. 11 hours is what I recall reading about the time she spent waiting. If she suspected something then she was perfectly positioned to report the situation sooner IMO. When we read the stories about the local Turkish security staff being 'dismissed' for the day it becomes even more clear that she was truly the only one that could have raised a call for help but yet she stayed? Maybe she knew that her having his phone and staying close was important to him recording whatever was going on in the embassy? But so many embassy sites have blocking technology in place that its questionable how far any signal from Apple watch could travel in the event his goal was to sync with his Apple phone. Maybe she didn't know what to do? I don't speak arabic so everything I've heard from the interviews done with the fiance have been translated but I didn't get a clear understanding of her answer when she was asked about why she stayed so long at the embassy. Did anyone else understand her reponse?

The Turks and Saudi's are supposedly carrying out a joint investigation; that's kind of worrying on many levels. The Turks might give the Saudi's access to the evidence they have on JK's disappearance; that would help the Saudi's with a 'damage limitation' exercise.
Given the state of relations between these two countries any productive joint activities seems unlikely IMO.

I am curious though if Turkish Intelligence was able to follow the large black van that melted into Istanbul traffic as so far as anything I've seen reported it didn't head to the airport along with most of the other vehicles. Its been encouraging that social media was able to provide license plates for all the vehicles along with photographs, tail IDs from the planes, pictures and names of Saudi officials believed to be present etc. I hope that Turkey pursues the case to the end and doesn't bow to regional pressures or threats and that justice is visibly served.

Shining a light on the activities of what appears to be a clandestine operation of a sovereign state on foreign soil should be a wake up call to the neighbors of Saudi Arabia IMO, yet we hear next to nothing publicly from the neighbors? If this case turns out to be proven and then so becomes the new 'line in the sand' for 'acceptable' behavior by sovereign states treatment of dissenting opinion then we have all entered uncharted territory on many levels not the least of which is protection of press freedoms.

Agree. 11 hours is what I recall reading about the time she spent waiting. If she suspected something then she was perfectly positioned to report the situation sooner IMO. When we read the stories about the local Turkish security staff being 'dismissed' for the day it becomes even more clear that she was truly the only one that could have raised a call for help but yet she stayed? Maybe she knew that her having his phone and staying close was important to him recording whatever was going on in the embassy? But so many embassy sites have blocking technology in place that its questionable how far any signal from Apple watch could travel in the event his goal was to sync with his Apple phone. Maybe she didn't know what to do? I don't speak arabic so everything I've heard from the interviews done with the fiance have been translated but I didn't get a clear understanding of her answer when she was asked about why she stayed so long at the embassy. Did anyone else understand her reponse?

Yes, agree, but she wasn't to know that the Turkish employees were given the afternoon off. I wonder what point she started to panic? Was she outside convincing herself? 'everything is fine, calm down'.

I hadn't thought about the 'blocking technology'; of course your right; they probably have it and use it.

Yes, agree, but she wasn't to know that the Turkish employees were given the afternoon off. I wonder what point she started to panic? Was she outside convincing herself? 'everything is fine, calm down'.

I hadn't thought about the 'blocking technology'; of course your right; they probably have it and use it.
Yes, but one of the english interviews I saw with the fiance mentioned that at first she spoke with a Turkish security service member and then later it was a Saudi member of embassy staff to say that nobody was in the embassy. I can't tell the timeframe between these two conversations but that in itself (first Turkish and then Saudi) would be a potential red flag. I also don't know the conventions around dismissal of local security staff either which is something that would be interesting to know. I am not certain that the Saudi's could dismiss local security staff as they are provided by Turkey as I understand things. Will have to research this issue further

From the above linked article:

Riyadh vowed to hit back against any action. “The kingdom affirms its total rejection of any threats and attempts to undermine it, whether through economic sanctions, political pressure or repeating false accusations,” it said.

“The kingdom also affirms that if it is [targeted by] any action, it will respond with greater action.” The statement also pointed out that the oil-rich kingdom “plays an effective and vital role in the world economy”.

The harsh response from Saudi Arabia such as it is appears tone deaf to the worldwide concern over this case and almost reads like a global declaration of economic and oil war. The idea that just because Saudi Arabia as it says "plays an effective and vital role in the world economy" is somehow immune from responsibility for its actions is stunning in its insularity IMO.

Its also taking the worlds major powers a surprising amount of time to call for action and investigation. I don't believe we have yet heard high level comments from all of the G7/10 at a minimum. I believe this morning we did hear reports of a call for investigation from Germany and France. Where is the rest of the world community on issuing similar statements? Radio silence from most of the Gulf community which is particularly disturbing IMO.

Last edited:
From the above linked article:

Riyadh vowed to hit back against any action. “The kingdom affirms its total rejection of any threats and attempts to undermine it, whether through economic sanctions, political pressure or repeating false accusations,” it said.

“The kingdom also affirms that if it is [targeted by] any action, it will respond with greater action.” The statement also pointed out that the oil-rich kingdom “plays an effective and vital role in the world economy”.

The harsh response from Saudi Arabia such as it is appears tone deaf to the worldwide concern over this case and almost reads like a global declaration of economic and oil war. The idea that just because Saudi Arabia as it says "plays an effective and vital role in the world economy" is somehow immune from responsibility for its actions is stunning in its insularity IMO.

Its also taking the worlds major powers a surprising amount of time to call for action and investigation. I don't believe we have yet heard high level comments from all of the G7/10 at a minimum. I believe this morning we did hear reports of a call for investigation from Germany and France. Where is the rest of the world community on issuing similar statements? Radio silence from must of the Gulf community which is particularly disturbing IMO.

I concur with your comments. I don't think there any mistaking that Saudi is taking no responsibility whatsoever for this, nor are they promoting an honest open investigation.

This seems very inappropriate and confirms they are only interested in the economic effects.

MBS seems to think he can get away with this.

I concur with your comments. I don't think there any mistaking that Saudi is taking no responsibility whatsoever for this, nor are they promoting an honest open investigation.

This seems very inappropriate and confirms they are only interested in the economic effects.

MBS seems to think he can get away with this.
I agree. I hope the global powers push hard for answers and an investigation to resolve the matter. For myself though until justice can be served in this case I created a screensaver of MBS in The Hague standing in the same dock where we previously have seen other rulers and politicians that thought they could get away with similar actions. Will try to compile the statements seen thus far from G10 to see where this all seems to be heading.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
birdistheword14
Back