GUILTY Turkey - Sarai Sierra, 33, NY woman murdered, Istanbul, 21 Jan 2013 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The man the that gave her the card is who would be more of a POI not the men laughing.
You are really overexagerating everything I say in an extremely defensive way.Are you from that area?

I'm sorry you feel that way. I think it's over-the-top to call the guy a "POI" because he hit on her or tried to sell her some rugs.

As I said, they should take a look at everyone she had contact with, but I'll eat not only my hat but my entire wardrobe if this has anything to with it.

I'm not from Turkey, I'm from Brooklyn. And I'm not Turkish or of Turkish descent or from any even vaguely related ethnicity. In fact, I'm a white guy.

I just disagree with you. Why do you feel that if I disagree, I am Turkish? That's just bizarre to me.

-Taylan did SAY he had sex with her but used a condom

Only one Turkish tabloid said that, it hasn't been repeated anywhere else.

We haven't learned that, we need to wait for confirmation on that one.

He definitely claimed they had sex in a bar/nightclub on the 20th. That is confirmed.

I don't really believe the topkapi story, at least not that it happened on the 21st.

Here's my thoughts,

She was seen at the tower at 1133, then seen on the bridge at 1215. She was then seen in serkeci at 115 walking to cankurtan and disappears from view.....exactly what time during this day would she have been at topkapi?

I doubt she would have had time to fit it in before 1133. I think it only opens at 9. It's very big! She would definitely spent more the 2 hrs there.

Also I remember reading that Taylan claimed he was meeting her at Galata bridge and there plan was to visit eminonu and topkapi palace.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I think it's over-the-top to call the guy a "POI" because he hit on her or tried to sell her some rugs.

As I said, they should take a look at everyone she had contact with, but I'll eat not only my hat but my entire wardrobe if this has anything to with it.

I'm not from Turkey, I'm from Brooklyn. And I'm not Turkish or of Turkish descent or from any even vaguely related ethnicity. In fact, I'm a white guy.

I just disagree with you. Why do you feel that if I disagree, I am Turkish? That's just bizarre to me.

Because,while I am interested in exploring all possible suspects,you are too eager to defend them all. i just wouldn't think anyone investigating would try to defend all POI's without knowing the facts.That is why I thought maybe you might be from the area.

He definitely claimed they had sex in a bar/nightclub on the 20th. That is confirmed.

I thought it was confirmed by a reliable source that he did in fact say that via a post from lavvy unthread .

I wasnt confirming it happened, but I thought it was confirmed he said it happened. Am I wrong?

I don't really believe the topkapi story, at least not that it happened on the 21st.

I think you are right and it will turn out like the lady claiming she saw the body being moved out of a car one night -- just misinformation. They probably saw SS there another day or saw someone who looked like her the 21st.

I just thought of something else.

People were questioning why she went when she went. Why now? Why suddenly would she want to leave the country?

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this, but Sarai is from Staten Island. Staten Island was annihilated by Sandy. I wonder if she started planning this trip before or after the storm. It could be that the stress or the reality of the storm made her start to think about her life and her mortality. That could have been the catalyst for her to start having adventures.

It is possible, but I read she was from Stapleton. That is one of, if not the worst sections of SI. Very poor, lots of crime/drugs, you name it. It also wasn't an area hit hard by the storm (yes, the ship washed ashore there, but by the water in Stapleton is all business/industrial, no housing really). I think that the stress or mental impact of the storm would have been nil compared to just living the daily grind in that neighborhood.

I thought it was confirmed by a reliable source that he did in fact say that via a post from lavvy unthread .

I wasnt confirming it happened, but I thought it was confirmed he said it happened. Am I wrong?

Lavy said he saw it in one Turkish tabloid-style paper.

None of the rest of the press have picked it up yet.

It's not in the reputable Turkish press yet either. I'm just saying, hold off, I have not seen any confirmation of that Taylan/Tarkan allegation yet.

Lavy, others, correct me if I'm wrong!

One thing that seems weird to me is if she didn't carry her camera with her and if she was only using her phone to take pictures, and if she solely traveled for photography purposes why did she take so few pictures?

I'm an instagram user myself and I can not take pictures on a regular basis when I'm busy, but there are days when I say "today it's only shooting day" and I take tens of pictures. And many instagramers do that. Check out Her Amsterdam friend Ammer's photo feed on instagram for example. You scroll down tons of pictures to see the pictures taken one week before.

I did wonder about some of your concerns. SS didn't share any photos of her at EWR airport or any airport for that matter. Although trivial, snapping photos while you're sitting in an airport waiting for your flight and sharing with your followers is very common for heavy photoshare site users...it adds a bit if wonder and mystery while giving the impression the you lead an exciting life to your followers. Again trivial but just something I wondered about.

Interestingly, her husband has two posts on his instagram account about quotes on cheating, posted 5 weeks ago. I've quoted those here last night, too.

If you go through the instagram accounts of SS, her husband and her brother you can see that there are almost no comments from her husband to her pictures and from hers to his. Her brother and husband share a lot of comments with each other but nothing between SS and her husband.

She is known among the ig society as a very responsive person in returning back gratitudes to the people who has comments on her pictures.

VERY interesting.

Police and Turkish media on Wednesday continued to disagree on what happened to New Yorker Sarai Sierra as authorities finalized preparations to return her body to the US.

The last time Sierra, 33, contacted her family was January 21, the day before she was supposed to head home after a three-week vacation in Istanbul. She was found dead last weekend behind the ancient city walls in the seedy neighborhood of Cankurtaran, about one mile from where she was last seen on security camera footage.

The case of Sierra's disappearance and murder has proven mysterious and difficult to follow, compounded by often-conflicting reports in Turkish media.

Each passing day raises more questions than answers in an investigation that has dominated Turkish media coverage since Sierra went missing more than two weeks ago.

Many of these claims, for example, have focused on the condition in which Sierra's body was found.

After police on Sunday confirmed Sierra died from a fatal blow to the head and wasn't stabbed or shot to death as reported, news outlets began differing on just how many injuries the American tourist sustained to her face, head and body.

Yener Ülgütol, deputy manager for the İstanbul Police Department's Public Security Branch Office, shook his head. “She has one large, serious injury here,” he said on Wednesday, pointing to the left side of his own head. “That's it. There are no injuries to her face, legs, arms or other parts of her body.”

The discoloration and swelling to Sierra's face that some newspapers, including one based in the US, have reported is due to the severity of the blunt force injury to her heard.

In the last few days, many news outlets have questioned whether or not Sierra was raped. A report on Wednesday claimed even Sierra's husband, Steven, was unsure. This debate, in particular, perplexes Ülgütol.

“She was not raped,” he pressed. “Both the public prosecutor and autopsy have revealed this.” The Council of Forensic Medicine (ATK) completed the autopsy earlier this week and will release the more extensive report within three months.

Though the autopsy report is not finished, Ülgütol said preliminary examinations make him believe Sierra was killed on January 21, the day she went missing.

Ülgütol, who said he is not sure where many news outlets get their information, told Today's Zaman he doesn't pay much attention to the claims being circulated. “Who saw the body? Who saw where she was found?” he asked of the questionable reports surrounding Sierra's murder. “How do they know?”

According to Ülgütol, officials in the US encouraged Sierra's family to not follow what is being reported in the media. “I think that's a good idea,” he said.

What Sierra was wearing when police found her body is not clear. Initially, news outlets reported and police confirmed she was fully clothed and still wearing her jewelry. But this original non-issue has become more controversial. Some media outlets say Sierra was missing her pants; others say they were simply pulled down. Still others say she was found wearing everything but her leather jacket.

Police officials equivocated this time. Ülgütol provided no comments on the matter other than asking, “Why does it matter if her pants was pulled up here or down here? We know she was not raped.”

All everyone can seem to agree upon is that Sierra's Samsung Galaxy cellphone and iPad are missing.

Ülgütol refused to comment on either Sierra's “private life” or details of the family and T.K.'s, the last person known to meet Sierra, statements made to the police.

He did, however, say the claim reported by some news organizations that a shopkeeper who allegedly met Sierra in the Sultanahmet area and made a statement to the police is false.

“I heard of this for the first time when I read the paper this morning,” Ülgütol said. “There was no such statement made to the police.”

Steven and Sierra's brother, David Jimenez, were expected to leave for the US on Wednesday. The body will be delivered to the family the following day.

From Zaman today (2/7)

I did wonder about some of your concerns. SS didn't share any photos of her at EWR airport or any airport for that matter. Although trivial, snapping photos while you're sitting in an airport waiting for your flight and sharing with your followers is very common for heavy photoshare site users...it adds a bit if wonder and mystery while giving the impression the you lead an exciting life to your followers. Again trivial but just something I wondered about.

Especially when you are alone. Most people I know, including myself, are glued to their phones on commutes, in waiting rooms. They are a source of entertainment and our portal to the world. I guess she could have been busy reading instead, or actually talking on the phone (people still do that? Heh)

Actually, it has been repeated, it's on the newsapers Milliyet, Hurriyet and Dogan News Agency's sites now.

Because,while I am interested in exploring all possible suspects,you are too eager to defend them all. i just wouldn't think anyone investigating would try to defend all POI's without knowing the facts.That is why I thought maybe you might be from the area.

So you feel that anyone who flirted with or sold anything to SS on her entire trip is now a "person of interest"? And all should have an equivalent amount of LE resources devoted to investigating each and every one of them? Seriously?

You should question your assumption that I am Turkish and what led you to make it.

In no way have I defended all potential suspects -- in fact, I have stated my suspicions of Taylan/Tarkan openly and repeatedly.

Maintaining that it is patently absurd to call anyone SS purchased an item from in Istanbul a "person of interest" does not require one to be Turkish. It only requires critical thinking ability.

Actually, it has been repeated, it's on the newsapers Milliyet, Hurriyet and Dogan News Agency's sites now.

Please give us some links and translations! Thanks!!!!!
(I can't find it on Hurriyet).

I'm an avid IG'er too, and I totally agree with this statement. I live nothing close to the jet-setting lifestyle I often wish I lived, but that doesn't stop me. Just last night I went to dinner at Cracker Barrel (no, seriously- I did), and took a picture of that stupid game with the pegs and holes in the triangle they keep at every table- and yeah- I uploaded that sucker to IG. When you start using that site, you almost can't help yourself. Everything suddenly seems picture worthy. It's possible SS just hadn't had a chance to edit and upload the pics she'd taken yet, but I do find it odd that there are so few on her page.

So you feel that anyone who flirted with or sold anything to SS on her entire trip is now a "person of interest"? And all should have an equivalent amount of LE resources devoted to investigating each and every one of them? Seriously?

While I agree this is a HUGE stretch, LE has stated that they will investigate this case using a cell search. They're going to dump every cell user's records in the area, and cross reference all the calls that were made on the day SS went missing. Sounds kind of bizarre- not to mention a huge undertaking- at least to my small American brain, anyway. But to some extent, they're looking at this from the standpoint that not just everyone who flirted with SS is a suspect- every single cell user in the area is a POI.

Police officials equivocated this time. Ülgütol provided no comments on the matter other than asking, “Why does it matter if her pants was pulled up here or down here? We know she was not raped.”

Uh oh.

This strikes me as a very weird thing for a police official to say -- why would it not be relevant if her pants had been torn off -- or pulled down???!!!

[Cue my worries there will be an attempt to give ol' Taylan a pass and pin it on some druggie]....

You should question your assumption that I am Turkish and what led you to make it.

In no way have I defended all potential suspects -- in fact, I have stated my suspicions of Taylan/Tarkan openly and repeatedly.

Maintaining that it is patently absurd to call anyone SS purchased an item from in Istanbul a "person of interest" does not require one to be Turkish. It only requires critical thinking ability.

I think I'm just going to put you ignore as you don't seem to understand anything I say.I would suggest you to put me on ignore as well.

I agree
1+1=3 ? see that doesn't add up either. I am still shaking my head (back and forth) Nothing, and I mean nothing about this trip makes any sense to me. If and that is a very, it would never happen if, by chance my spouse asked to go on a picture taking holiday and didn't take a camera, guess who is coming home to a empty house.This whole story stinks to me, has from day one.

You don't go on a photo excursion without a camera. As an aspiring photographer I would think traveling to Istanbul, with all of it's wonderful architecture, you would not want to sell that trip short, you would want to capture some epic printable photos, possibly to frame, with good resolution to remember for years to come especially being your first trip abroad. Have you ever tried to print iphone/Galaxy S photos? Crap.

We go back to that IG culture but we're not talking about casually snapping photos while walking around NYC and sharing online.
again, just my thoughts. Ok i'm done on the camera phone topic. Sorry guys and gals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kristens5487