GUILTY Turkey - Sarai Sierra, 33, NY woman murdered, Istanbul, 21 Jan 2013 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
just throwing weird stuff out there, i find it interesting that the family had enough of a connection in turkey to come up with a homestay for the brother and husband.

The husband and brother may also have had some assistance from the US consulate in finding an accomodation at this very terrible time. I don't see anything odd about this.

im no international diplomacy expert, but i doubt the u.s. consulate arranges homestays. as i understand it, sierra and jimenez went to turkey to look for sarai on their own volition, and with the help of church members, they werent asked to go to turkey by the u.s. gov. yet, they stayed with someone in turkey, that strikes me as curious, even if it was arranged by a friend of a friend third hand. i dont believe this has anything to do with the case, but it could maybe explain the odd choice of turkey as a first-time solo travel destination.

I've been enjoying reading everyone's posts. Here are a few of my random thoughts:

1. It's somewhat like the Chandra Levy case--pretty woman mysteriously disappears. At first, you suspected the known figure who said they were "just friends" , then it turns out they had sex, then it turns out to be perhaps a random killer.

2.. Everything pointed to Taylan: last to see her, was supposed to meet her, may have said he walked her home on the 20th, may have said he went to her rental on the 21st with someone else (witness/alibi?) to look for her.

3. Early on, a man from the region on websleuths suggested it was a random murder by a homeless person, which seemed unfathomable: but what about the white car leaving perhaps a body? what about LE saying it looked like a professional kill? what about it looking to LE like she was brought there? couldn't someone have framed the homeless by wrapping her in a person's blanket left in the area? what about the drowning of a woman similarly clothed in the same time period?

4. but does a professional kill someone with a rock? did SS think since it was daylight on a somewhat well-traveled road, that she could venture, climb up and photograph the walls? was she then pulled in for an unconsummated sex act, and in her struggle to be set free, killed with a rock?
So many unanswered questions. Thanks for thinking about it all.

The husband and brother may also have had some assistance from the US consulate in finding an accommodation at this very terrible time. I don't see anything odd about this.

...And let's not forget they have community support, the support of a congressman who is a former FBI agent, plus all the international attention because it is a high profile case. I imagine accommodation was secured or agreed to and was set up for privacy to keep them away from the media.

Look at those search videos, and that forensic team, the press coverage in Turkey alone. This is no Barney Fife operation. They'll be going over everything with a fine tooth comb with access to tech stuff none of us even know about. I'm guessing they'll get the person/people responsible.
Maybe then we'll get the real story. Hopefully, LOL

I've been enjoying reading everyone's posts. Here are a few of my random thoughts:

1. It's somewhat like the Chandra Levy case--pretty woman mysteriously disappears. At first, you suspected the known figure who said they were "just friends" , then it turns out they had sex, then it turns out to be perhaps a random killer.

2.. Everything pointed to Taylan: last to see her, was supposed to meet her, may have said he walked her home on the 20th, may have said he went to her rental on the 21st with someone else (witness/alibi?) to look for her.

3. Early on, a man from the region on websleuths suggested it was a random murder by a homeless person, which seemed unfathomable: but what about the white car leaving perhaps a body? what about LE saying it looked like a professional kill? what about it looking to LE like she was brought there? couldn't someone have framed the homeless by wrapping her in a person's blanket left in the area? what about the drowning of a woman similarly clothed in the same time period?

4. but does a professional kill someone with a rock? did SS think since it was daylight on a somewhat well-traveled road, that she could venture, climb up and photograph the walls? was she then pulled in for an unconsummated sex act, and in her struggle to be set free, killed with a rock?

:Welcome1: pbj!

im no international diplomacy expert, but i doubt the u.s. consulate arranges homestays. as i understand it, sierra and jimenez went to turkey to look for sarai on their own volition, and with the help of church members, they werent asked to go to turkey by the u.s. gov. yet, they stayed with someone in turkey, that strikes me as curious, even if it was arranged by a friend of a friend third hand. i dont believe this has anything to do with the case, but it could maybe explain the odd choice of turkey as a first-time solo travel destination.

I doubt they arrange homestays, but they can provide some assistance services.

http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/tips/emergencies/death/death_3878.html

this always struck me as strange, that she would have gone all the way to turkey for such a lonely photo outing. if she went to meet taylan, they would have had to spend alot of time together to make it worth it. in almost two weeks, on the surface, it seems that she had very little contact with anyone in the city, then ends up dead. even in a'dam, she saw only that one guy. i still think this was a random thing, but nothing SS did helps even a random occurence sit well.

It also strikes me as odd if she were to have once in a lifetime vacation why not share the joy w husband and children? It does not seem like they traveled much...

It is a Pity the boys will never be able to have the joy of traveling w mom. I bet she would have been a great tour guide to them, ie, take them back to Istabul to show them the sites... So SAD

Sorry, I was busy yesterday and just skimmed. It's true it's a crappy video, but it doesn't look at all to me like SS>

But to go back to cramming the body into that small cave, I realize I mentioned that whoever did it had already dragged it 328 feet. That was a stupid assumption. There could have been any number of people involved:

The murderer
The person who found her murdered and decided to move her for whatever reason
The person who crammed her into the cave
The person who covered her body with the blanket

Any combination, I suppose, is possible, but I guess what I'm saying is that I don't see how it could all have been accomplished with any alacrity by a single person.

I'm still working on it....but it would not be a 'random' spot, but planned, with an accomplice i suppose. The 'tosser' could be a railway employee.

Geez... Regarding the train theory, all these things might be doable even by just one person, except for the obvious reasons already mentioned, mainly video surveillance and the very commuters on and around train, train platform., plus lack of evidence --so far-- that could attest to this possibility. AND, well, just whose toes did Sarai have to step on to warrant a murder scheme complete with the possible involvement of even a railway employee? Again, everything is possible, or seems possible, with so little confirmed, factual evidence available to us, the little people. :rocker:

Then again, I also believe that one strong enough man (at the risk of sounding sexist) would be capable of committing the murder, dragging the body, stuffing it in the cave and moving it, all given just enough time and solitude. (Although I hate to bring this kind of example, cutting up a body is more difficult, and many lone killers have been known to do this and more.)

Right, I agree. One has to prepare ahead and just know about the safe and unsafe areas. I feel bad for her that she was not advised by locals or her IG "friends" about places not to go alone - or maybe they told her Istanbul was safe everywhere. I guess for me personally, anywhere where I am alone and do not see anyone around - ANYWHERE - country, beach, city, forest...extra alert!

At the beginning of the investigation I remember Sarai's friend, the one who couldn't go with her on the trip, saying that Sarai had done tons of research on where she was going, giving the clear indication that she was very well prepared to make (and probably especially because she was making) the trip on her own. NY paper--anyone remember that? Could it have just been the friend's sense of guilt (warranted or not) talking?

But maybe she had no intention of going anywhere alone, and was meeting someone there...

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

Agreed but regardless, first big international trip alone... I refuse to believe she thought she didn't need to learn anything ahead of time about where he was headed, especially if anything about the area where she ended up staying, which turned out to be not-so-safe. Did she know this and choose to stay there alone no matter what? Sigh.

Welcome, pbj, nice post. :dance: I found myself reacting aloud to: 4. but does a professional kill someone with a rock?

EXACTLY?

It also strikes me as odd if she were to have once in a lifetime vacation why not share the joy w husband and children? It does not seem like they traveled much...

It is a Pity the boys will never be able to have the joy of traveling w mom. I bet she would have been a great tour guide to them, ie, take them back to Istabul to show them the sites... So SAD

Everything SS did on this venture was wholly selfish. Her family was not a consideration. She pushed them aside like yesterday's laundry and went off on her own.

I keep thinking about the Munich connection (sounds like a movie title). I don't think we have even been able to determine a motive for going there. It was discussed at length a couple threads ago and suggested that maybe it was just a flight layover. But why fly through Munich?

The issue has been brought up twice recently. Steven said words to the effect that LE asked him not to talk about the connection with people in Munich because it might hamper their investigation. And LE said recently that they were still investigating people who were IG contacts, homless people, and her European contacts in Amst and Munich.

Once again...why did she go to Munich?

Surveillance Photos Released Of S.I. Murder Victim In Turkey

February 17, 2013 11:32 PM

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — For the first time, photos have been released of murdered Staten Island photographer Sarai Sierra – from the very same day she disappeared in Turkey.

Police in Istanbul have released surveillance photos from several different cameras. They show Sierra, a mother of two, walking alone around a coastal section of the city.

Hours later, Sierra vanished. Her remains were found 11 days later along a highway.

Read more: http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/02/17/surveillance-photos-released-of-s-i-murder-victim-in-turkey/

Right, I agree. One has to prepare ahead and just know about the safe and unsafe areas. I feel bad for her that she was not advised by locals or her IG "friends" about places not to go alone - or maybe they told her Istanbul was safe everywhere. I guess for me personally, anywhere where I am alone and do not see anyone around - ANYWHERE - country, beach, city, forest...extra alert!

I do not understand why Taylan, her special Internet friend, who claims he walked her home because she was staying in a "dangerous" area, did not tell her that when she booked the room. It is pretty common to tell friends where you will be staying when you are coming to their city for the first time. Or asking their advice on your choices. Why did he not speak up? Or was that room chosen for another reason? Did she think she would not actually be staying there but needed a place to give to her family as a "cover."

SS seems to have made choices that are almost reckless at times. When you plan a trip, you have choices. She could have gone for just one week and stayed in a better place...or not made the side trips to Amsterdam and Munich. But, then again, maybe she didnt think she'd be in that place.

I understand she has an interest in graffiti. But as a NYC woman, surely she realizes that graffiti is often present in areas where one needs to show extra caution. Why would she be visiting such an area alone in a foriegn city? Personally, I am not buying the artsy part of this story anymore. Only in that her hobby brought her admiration from attractive men on the Internet. I think the family has understandably gone to great lengths, as we all would do, to put the best "spin" on the details of this trip. Oh, they are "tour guides." Oh, I was just posting advice to OTHER couples our marriage was fine. Oh, this tripwas all about art and photography.

If she had that passion for her art, and was alone in that dreary room every night, she would not just be texting and skyping...she would be uploading her photos...anxious to share them. After all, THAT was supposedly why she was in Turkey.

We know so little really. And the little we do know, makes not much sense.

At the beginning of the investigation I remember Sarai's friend, the one who couldn't go with her on the trip, saying that Sarai had done tons of research on where she was going, giving the clear indication that she was very well prepared to make (and probably especially because she was making) the trip on her own. NY paper--anyone remember that? Could it have just been the friend's sense of guilt (warranted or not) talking?

I remember, yes! I think her mother also said she did a lot of research...but...There is information out there about the area she stayed in as a run down part of town - and one can be fooled by photos on those apartment rentals - there are a lot of basement rentals... She did not venture out of Istanbul either to the seaside or historic sites....It seems she stayed cheaply in Istanbul so she could go to Amsterdam...

I doubt they arrange homestays, but they can provide some assistance services.

http://www.travel.state.gov/travel/tips/emergencies/death/death_3878.html

"Steven Sierra, meanwhile, has spent the past few days carrying out a laundry list of horrible obligations: identifying his wife’s body, discussing the case with cops, filing paperwork. He says he’s enormously grateful for the support of Rep. Michael Grimm (R-N.Y.), the U.S. Consulate in Istanbul and dozens of well-wishers."

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/heartbroken-husband-missing-woman-found-dead-turkey-article-1.1255469

I agree. The live person thrown off a train totally seems impossible, a car would make more sense.
Dead person very unlikely to transport on a train too, though criminals have been known to transport just about everything except clothes in large wheeled suitcases. But I don't think an adult body could fit in one.

http://www.thinkstockphotos.ca/royalty-free/shunting-yard-pictures?page=4

When i think about 'being near to' a train station, (having once lived near one) i tend to envision shunting yards, and freight cars with graffiti and which often are parked with open doors. I think of crates and *MAILBAGS. Of long weedy stretches which locals would not be using as recreational walks because they are railway property.
Then i see the 'cave' right by the rail lines. I think of the 'regulars' in that area, homeless who might perhaps sometimes hitch a ride on a freight car, or have a friend among the rail workers.
**I acknowledge it's far fetched, but not because 'somebody would have witnessed it' because this was supposedly a messy murder in daylight and yet so far as we know NOBODY did in fact witness it.**
And as for surveillance tapes, the quality is apparently not all that great.

I remember, yes! I think her mother also said she did a lot of research...but...There is information out there about the area she stayed in as a run down part of town - and one can be fooled by photos on those apartment rentals - there are a lot of basement rentals... She did not venture out of Istanbul either to the seaside or historic sites....It seems she stayed cheaply in Istanbul so she could go to Amsterdam...

The general area she stayed in is reported as being full of students, with restaurants, groceries, bars would not be considered unsafe if you were to mention it to friends in istanbul. It is not run down, and has plenty of public transit accesss.

However, the particular street the rental was on was not very good, with some unsavory charcters, mostly illegal immigrants. You wouldn't be able to figure that out from the apartment ad. It is just advertised as the "Cheapest" on airBnB. The photos make it seem neat and tidy. But it's not plush by any means. A very small basement room with tiny bathroom, no direct sunlight. Other comparable airBnB places in the area were similar in size/appearance but about $5-10 more a night.

her choice of accommodation is what it is and that is it.
Probably was close to IG friends. She didn't expect to be spending much time in the place. Who cares about plush when you are on an adventure. Still better than a hostel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bridgetraiann